Absolute Proof the Earth Rotates

• 612 Replies

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
Re: Absolute Proof the Earth Rotates
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2014, 04:39:59 AM »
The pendulum normally swings back in forth. If you hold it in your hand it does this. But eventually it will slowly go still. The Magnet makes it so it gains a tad of momentum then it uses momentum to swing. The pendulum goes back and forth not rotating around. The Earth rotates around. If you want actual specifics of exact details of the architecture then we can call the observatory and ask them.

You can call them if you would like.  I am just trying to make sense of this.  It thought you said the pendulum was made of brass.  Brass is not normally magnetic unless it has a current running through it.  I know that electromagnets can be make from non-magnet material.

?

Starman

• Never miss a day to learn something
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2014, 04:40:13 AM »
Sceptimatic:

"The 240-pound brass ball, suspended by a cable 40 feet long, swings in a constant direction while the Earth turns beneath it. The pendulum is mounted to a bearing in the rotunda ceiling that does not turn with the building as it rotates with the Earth. A ring magnet at the bearing gives a little tug on each swing of the pendulum to keep the pendulum in motion. As the day passes, the pendulum knocks over pegs set up in the pendulum pit and indicates the progress of rotation."
Great, that's all I wanted clarification on. Now before I start tearing it all apart, just answer yes or no to what I say and I can get on. All I want is clarification in a strict YES or NO, but no maybe's.

The bearing in the ceiling is so that the pendulum can simply be allowed to go backwards and forwards without it deviating, yes or no?

The table and everything fixed in the building  apart from the pendulum on a bearing are moving in a rotating motion. Yes or no?

Is there anything else happening other than this. Yes or no?

I am not answering your questions with yes or no. I am not going back and copying and pasting what I already wrote if you are too lazy to read them. The info is all here. Now do your picking apart as you will, but there is no further info I can provide you. It has all been explained to the minute detail. Just post your opinions without anymore stupid questions.
Ok. So if the pendulum only swings back and forth, then why does it have to swing in the first place. Why can't it just hang there whilst the table and building rotate?
Are you that dense. If it would sit there you would not have a reference to use to see it rotate.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #62 on: March 21, 2014, 04:40:42 AM »
Does this electromagnet use AC or DC electricity?
There is no such thing as a AC electromagnet. If you ask me to explain it i can.

I call B*ll Sh*t on this.

« Reply #63 on: March 21, 2014, 04:41:09 AM »
Sceptimatic:

"The 240-pound brass ball, suspended by a cable 40 feet long, swings in a constant direction while the Earth turns beneath it. The pendulum is mounted to a bearing in the rotunda ceiling that does not turn with the building as it rotates with the Earth. A ring magnet at the bearing gives a little tug on each swing of the pendulum to keep the pendulum in motion. As the day passes, the pendulum knocks over pegs set up in the pendulum pit and indicates the progress of rotation."
Great, that's all I wanted clarification on. Now before I start tearing it all apart, just answer yes or no to what I say and I can get on. All I want is clarification in a strict YES or NO, but no maybe's.

The bearing in the ceiling is so that the pendulum can simply be allowed to go backwards and forwards without it deviating, yes or no?

The table and everything fixed in the building  apart from the pendulum on a bearing are moving in a rotating motion. Yes or no?

I am not answering your questions with yes or no. I am not going back and copying and pasting what I already wrote if you are too lazy to read them. The info is all here. Now do your picking apart as you will, but there is no further info I can provide you. It has all been explained to the minute detail. Just post your opinions without anymore stupid questions.
Ok. So if the pendulum only swings back and forth, then why does it have to swing in the first place. Why can't it just hang there whilst the table and building rotate?

HAHAHAHAHA

If the pendulum hung in the middle like a still tree, could this experiment exist? WOW!

You guys reading this? Are you guys laughing your asses off too?

« Reply #64 on: March 21, 2014, 04:41:52 AM »
There is no such thing as a AC electromagnet. If you ask me to explain it i can.

Please explain.

« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2014, 04:43:03 AM »
The pendulum normally swings back in forth. If you hold it in your hand it does this. But eventually it will slowly go still. The Magnet makes it so it gains a tad of momentum then it uses momentum to swing. The pendulum goes back and forth not rotating around. The Earth rotates around. If you want actual specifics of exact details of the architecture then we can call the observatory and ask them.

You can call them if you would like.  I am just trying to make sense of this.  It thought you said the pendulum was made of brass.  Brass is not normally magnetic unless it has a current running through it.  I know that electromagnets can be make from non-magnet material.

the ball is brass. I think the wire is steel.

Dude the magnet has nothing to do with this. Why you harping on the magnet. Pay attention to whats going on the floor. Who cares about the stupid magnet!

?

Starman

« Reply #66 on: March 21, 2014, 04:43:17 AM »

Explain me how a AC electromagnet works or what it is?

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #67 on: March 21, 2014, 04:43:44 AM »

The one at UNSW (see the link I posted earlier) appears to be made of wood. It also does not use electromagnets to keep it moving, being a "hands-on" type.
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #68 on: March 21, 2014, 04:45:37 AM »
Sceptimatic:

Are you that dense. If it would sit there you would not have a reference to use to see it rotate.
By simply putting a thin bar on the bottom of the brass weight so it sticks out from point to point on the tables clock, then there's a simple solution, so why have it swinging?

?

Starman

« Reply #69 on: March 21, 2014, 04:47:27 AM »
Sceptimatic:

By simply putting a thin bar on the bottom of the brass weight so it sticks out from point to point on the tables clock, then there's a simple solution, so why have it swinging?
If you did that everything would rotate with the earth hence no clock.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #70 on: March 21, 2014, 04:48:04 AM »

Explain me how a AC electromagnet works or what it is?

Please look us the terms inductor, inductance, mutual inductance, solenoid, and even AC electromagnet.

« Reply #71 on: March 21, 2014, 04:48:35 AM »
I've noticed that all threads end up obsessing on things that have no bearing on the point being made. Peopel start going off on tangents about minor details rather than focusing on the topic at hand. This has now turned into a discussion about magnets.

WTF?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #72 on: March 21, 2014, 04:49:00 AM »
Sceptimatic:

But it's on a bearing, so what's the difference?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #73 on: March 21, 2014, 04:49:40 AM »

Dude the magnet has nothing to do with this. Why you harping on the magnet. Pay attention to whats going on the floor. Who cares about the stupid magnet!

The magnet does have something to do with this.  With out it, the pendulum would not swing very long. 

« Reply #74 on: March 21, 2014, 04:50:46 AM »
Sceptimatic:

If the Earth rotates on a circular fashion, the pendulum would twirl but you couldn't have anything to reference it on. By going back and forth we have easy markings to display. The point it what this represents.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #75 on: March 21, 2014, 04:51:02 AM »
I've noticed that all threads end up obsessing on things that have no bearing on the point being made. Peopel start going off on tangents about minor details rather than focusing on the topic at hand. This has now turned into a discussion about magnets.

WTF?

When roundies stop claiming incorrect things, this will not happen as often.

?

Starman

« Reply #76 on: March 21, 2014, 04:51:27 AM »
Sceptimatic:

Bearing are not perfect. They do have friction. After a certain time the brass will rotate at the same rate of the earth and again no clock.

« Reply #77 on: March 21, 2014, 04:52:49 AM »

The magnet does have something to do with this.  With out it, the pendulum would not swing very long.

We have already said you can find them without the magnets. It can still go for long enough to make this experiment. Magnets are only needed to keep it going 24/7. Forget about the damn magnets!

?

Starman

« Reply #78 on: March 21, 2014, 04:53:08 AM »

I am still waiting for your explaining of a AC electromagnet.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #79 on: March 21, 2014, 04:53:24 AM »
If the Earth rotates on a circular fashion, the pendulum would twirl but you couldn't have anything to reference it on. By going back and forth we have easy markings to display. The point it what this represents.

The current in an electromagnet also rotates, and when it is AC current in the electromagnet, it induces a voltage in conductive objects that are in its magnetic field, which rotate in an opposite direction. 

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #80 on: March 21, 2014, 04:54:43 AM »
Sceptimatic:

You have the long horizontal centralised bar for a reference, so if the table is rotating then the bar would show this, so why don't they just do this instead of swinging it?

I'll tell you why. It's because it's simply a clever little con job, that's all it is, like everything else they use.

« Reply #81 on: March 21, 2014, 04:56:25 AM »
Can we get off the magnet subject and the AC DC subject. Who gives a shit! That is not the point of the pendulum.

?

Starman

« Reply #82 on: March 21, 2014, 04:56:50 AM »

The current in an electromagnet also rotates, and when it is AC current in the electromagnet, it induces a voltage in conductive objects that are in its magnetic field, which rotate in an opposite direction.
Partly true. Give me and example of it's use.

?

Starman

« Reply #83 on: March 21, 2014, 04:57:30 AM »
Can we get off the magnet subject and the AC DC subject. Who gives a shit! That is not the point of the pendulum.
Sorry. I agree.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #84 on: March 21, 2014, 04:57:44 AM »
Sceptimatic:

Bearing are not perfect. They do have friction. After a certain time the brass will rotate at the same rate of the earth and again no clock.
So if bearing isn't perfect when the pendulum is  still, then why is the bearing deemed perfect on the swing?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #85 on: March 21, 2014, 04:58:08 AM »

I am still waiting for your explaining of a AC electromagnet.

So, you still have not looked up a solenoid?  This is an electromagnet with a movable core that can be made to use either AC or DC current.  I use them all the time. 

The difference between an AC and a DC electromagnet is that the current limiting for the coil of a DC electromagnet mainly comes from the resistance of the wire, while an AC version limits the current mainly through inductance. 

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #86 on: March 21, 2014, 04:58:45 AM »
sceptimatic: the pendulum has to be in motion relative to the earth in order for the Coriolis force to cause it to rotate. If you just lift it up on its wire, then absolutely nothing will happen, because it will just continue moving with the earth the same way it was when it was sitting on the floor.

jroa: there are pendulums that do not use magnets at all, and still swing for hours. Stop ignoring them.
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #87 on: March 21, 2014, 04:59:19 AM »
Sceptimatic:

You have the long horizontal centralised bar for a reference, so if the table is rotating then the bar would show this, so why don't they just do this instead of swinging it?

I'll tell you why. It's because it's simply a clever little con job, that's all it is, like everything else they use.

No it would not show this. Actually have you ever heard of or seen a sun dial? Same principle. You can do this experiment yourself and see the Earth rotates. This isn't some conspiracy that some great elite went allover the world to science museums and created this magic trick to fool everyone.

« Reply #88 on: March 21, 2014, 05:01:00 AM »

The magnet is not applied to the ball, it's applied to the setup in the ceiling. 

'There is a doughnut-shaped electromagnet built into the ceiling, and the iron collar swings back and forth inside the hole of the doughnut. When the pendulum cable reaches a particular point in its swing, it is detected by an electronic device and the magnet is turned on at just the right time to give the collar (and thus the cable and the bob) a little "kick" in the exact direction of its natural swing. This restores the energy lost during the swing and keeps the pendulum from stopping. It has no effect on the direction of the swing, and thus does not interfere with the demonstration that the earth is rotating.'

From http://www.si.edu/Encyclopedia_SI/nmah/pendulum.htm

No bits sticking out of pendulums required.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #89 on: March 21, 2014, 05:02:34 AM »
sceptimatic: the pendulum has to be in motion relative to the earth in order for the Coriolis force to cause it to rotate. If you just lift it up on its wire, then absolutely nothing will happen, because it will just continue moving with the earth the same way it was when it was sitting on the floor.

That makes no sense whatsoever.