Where do you go to increase your knowledge?

• 135 Replies
?

burt

Re: Where do you go to increase your knowledge?
« Reply #90 on: March 15, 2014, 04:16:53 PM »
Wrong about what? You haven't offered a rebuttal. You just keep insisting that you are right. I don't even know what you are disagreeing with.

Ok, if have I not offered a rebuttal, please restate your argument.

I didn't even offer an argument. I have said from the get go that I don't subscribe to any of this. It is a thought experiment. You said some stuff about conventionalist strategem's and I agree with you on that. This entire thought experiment is based on that and I willfully admitted so when I first mentioned simulated realities.

But further more, why would you say I have not given a rebuttal, when you also claim you did not give an argument? It is pretty unfair to expect me to give a rebuttal to an argument you did not have.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #91 on: March 15, 2014, 04:23:36 PM »
Wrong about what? You haven't offered a rebuttal. You just keep insisting that you are right. I don't even know what you are disagreeing with.

I didn't even offer an argument. I have said from the get go that I don't subscribe to any of this. It is a thought experiment. You said some stuff about conventionalist strategem's and I agree with you on that. This entire thought experiment is based on that and I willfully admitted so when I first mentioned simulated realities.

But further more, why would you say I have not given a rebuttal, when you also claim you did not give an argument? It is pretty unfair to expect me to give a rebuttal to an argument you did not have.

I only inquired about a rebuttal after you said that you offered one, which you didn't.

?

burt

« Reply #92 on: March 15, 2014, 04:25:01 PM »

I only inquired about a rebuttal after you said that you offered one, which you didn't.

Can you answer reply #89. thanks.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #93 on: March 15, 2014, 04:28:38 PM »
It is more likely if we presuppose what I've stated. You should just agree with me. I'm busy arguing with my wife.

?

burt

« Reply #94 on: March 15, 2014, 04:34:50 PM »
It is more likely if we presuppose what I've stated. You should just agree with me. I'm busy arguing with my wife.

I think it is more likely that the earth is made out of Krispy Kreme Doughnut Cakes, because if we pressupose that god exists and also that god makes 99/100 planets out of Krispy Kreme Doughnut Cakes, therefore it is more likely that the earth is made of Krispy Kreme Doughnut Cakes
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 04:37:13 PM by burt »

Vauxhall

• dark matter does not exist
« Reply #95 on: March 15, 2014, 04:49:06 PM »

I think it is more likely that the earth is made out of Krispy Kreme Doughnut Cakes, because if we pressupose that god exists and also that god makes 99/100 planets out of Krispy Kreme Doughnut Cakes, therefore it is more likely that the earth is made of Krispy Kreme Doughnut Cakes

No evidence of a God. Simulated Reality argument stems for real possibilities, not fantasy. Nice fallacy, though.
Read the FAQS.

?

burt

« Reply #96 on: March 15, 2014, 04:51:36 PM »

No evidence of a God. Simulated Reality argument stems for real possibilities, not fantasy. Nice fallacy, though.

There is no fallacy. I was simply outlining that you can presuppose whatever in order to make something more likely.

No evidence of simulated universes or any other universes.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #97 on: March 15, 2014, 04:57:13 PM »

There is no fallacy. I was simply outlining that you can presuppose whatever in order to make something more likely.

Sure there is. Humanity aspires to make simulations all the time. As time goes they will become more indistinguishable from the real thing.

Vauxhall

« Reply #98 on: March 15, 2014, 04:59:07 PM »

I wouldn't expect you to understand what a fallacy is, but here's some info on the one you used.
Read the FAQS.

?

burt

« Reply #99 on: March 15, 2014, 05:02:12 PM »

I wouldn't expect you to understand what a fallacy is, but here's some info on the one you used.

Actually no, my argument was an instance of a counter-example. I did not attack an argument he was not making. You need to look up what a counter example contains. Counter examples contain silly analogies in order to show that the actual logical form is not an instance of a valid argument. I did that.

« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:04:57 PM by burt »

Vauxhall

« Reply #100 on: March 15, 2014, 05:07:29 PM »
Your "argument" was just a satirical response used to ridicule the simulated reality theory and rottingroom himself. If you think that's how a debate is handled then you need to think twice.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:32:21 PM by Vauxhall »
Read the FAQS.

?

burt

« Reply #101 on: March 15, 2014, 05:10:16 PM »
Actually no, my argument was an instance of a counter-example. I did not attack an argument he was not making. You need to look up what a counter example contains. Counter examples contain silly analogies in order to show that the actual logical form is not an instance of a valid argument. I did that.

Actually, yes. Your "argument" was just a satirical response used to ridicule the simulated reality theory and rottingroom himself. If you think that's how a debate is handled then you need to think twice.

Have you got a criiticism of my counter-example, or a rastatement of the original argument which demonstrates that I did anything but argue in good faith.

Vauxhall

« Reply #102 on: March 15, 2014, 05:15:20 PM »
Yeah, I do have a criticism.

Read the FAQS.

?

burt

« Reply #103 on: March 15, 2014, 05:17:42 PM »

This criticism is not clear, because it is what is called "meta".

if you think I have made the strawman fallacy (which I have not, and I explained why) you need to demonstrate it independently with an argument showing both why my argument is misrepresentation of his argument, and why, despite my criticism, his argument still holds.

Vauxhall

« Reply #104 on: March 15, 2014, 05:20:01 PM »

This criticism is not clear, because it is what is called "meta".

if you think I have made the strawman fallacy (which I have not, and I explained why) you need to demonstrate it independently with an argument showing both why my argument is misrepresentation of his argument, and why, despite my criticism, his argument still holds.

From your quick responses I can tell you didn't even read the article. Try reading it, then come back. Maybe you'll have a better understanding of why your argument was ridiculous.

Read the FAQS.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #105 on: March 15, 2014, 05:26:07 PM »
I still do not know what the argument is. Unless it is that simulated realities are more likely to be our reality than an actually reality. Supported by humanity's willingness to simulate reality.

?

burt

« Reply #106 on: March 15, 2014, 05:27:44 PM »
From your quick responses I can tell you didn't even read the article. Try reading it, then come back. Maybe you'll have a better understanding of why your argument was ridiculous.

?

burt

« Reply #107 on: March 15, 2014, 05:30:17 PM »
I still do not know what the argument is. Unless it is that simulated realities are more likely to be our reality than an actually reality. Supported by humanity's willingness to simulate reality.

So you do know what you argument is...?

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #108 on: March 15, 2014, 05:31:41 PM »
Well as I said. I don't necessarily believe in it. I offered a thought experiment. At no point was I looking for a debate.

Vauxhall

« Reply #109 on: March 15, 2014, 05:32:35 PM »
Your "argument" was just a satirical response used to ridicule the simulated reality theory and rottingroom himself. If you think that's how a debate is handled then you need to think twice.

Also, your argument was based in religion. Religion is not scientific, has no supporting evidence, and cannot be proven or disproved.

The argument we are making is that: It's a possibility that a civilization could become advanced enough to make simulated reality. This is supported by the fact that the society that we live in has already created simulated reality (or tries to, look at game devs, check out oculus rift for example). Of course, our "simulated realities" are nothing compared to what we are theorizing, but it could happen given enough time. If that's the case, then we could be living in another society's simulated reality program right now and not even know it. Of course, like many have stated, this is a thought experiment. The possibility is there, there's a whole wikipedia article on the topic that explains it way better than I do, which I suggest you read if you're at all interested in this idea.

It's all very interesting if you're a curious and bright individual, which the troll persona that you have developed is not... but hey, that's a story for another day.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 05:35:33 PM by Vauxhall »
Read the FAQS.

?

burt

« Reply #110 on: March 15, 2014, 05:32:49 PM »
Well as I said. I don't necessarily believe in it. I offered a thought experiment. At no point was I looking for a debate.

Believe what?

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #111 on: March 15, 2014, 05:36:29 PM »

Believe what?
The argument you tit.

?

burt

« Reply #112 on: March 15, 2014, 05:39:07 PM »

Also, your argument was based in religion. Religion is not scientific, has no supporting evidence, and cannot be proven or disproved.

Simulated reality has not been proved. And even if it was proved saying that we could live in a simulation is an unflalsifiable statement, which is exactly why you chastised me for my counter example.

This argument I disposed of ages ago I said and I paraphrase:

What instance of evidence would go to falsify this hypothesis.

The argument we are making is that: It's a possibility that a civilization could become advanced enough to make simulated reality. This is supported by the fact that the society that we live in has already created simulated reality (or tries to, look at game devs, check out oculus rift for example). Of course, our "simulated realities" are nothing compared to what we are theorizing, but it could happen given enough time. If that's the case, then we could be living in another society's simulated reality program right now and not even know it. Of course, like many have stated, this is a thought experiment. The possibility is there, there's a whole wikipedia article on the topic that explains it way better than I do, which I suggest you read if you're at all interested in this idea.

It's all very interesting if you're a curious and bright individual, which the troll persona that you have developed is not... but hey, that's a story for another day.

This argument is not the one you were making you asserted that it was more likely we were living in a simulated reality.

I take it you have conceded the point.

?

burt

« Reply #113 on: March 15, 2014, 05:40:31 PM »

Believe what?
The argument you tit.

What about the argument don't you believe?

Vauxhall

« Reply #114 on: March 15, 2014, 05:43:16 PM »
I've said this is a thought experiment from the beginning. Are you unable to comprehend what that means?

Here's some info on what a thought experiment is, for your future reference.
Read the FAQS.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #115 on: March 15, 2014, 05:47:39 PM »

Believe what?
The argument you tit.

The very things you keep mentioning. Have you not noticed that I've mostly been agreeing with you?

?

burt

« Reply #116 on: March 15, 2014, 05:50:45 PM »
I've said this is a thought experiment from the beginning. Are you unable to comprehend what that means?

Here's some info on what a thought experiment is, for your future reference.

I am interested in simulated reality. I think it is very unlikely. I do not think even given the presuppositions you hold that it makes it more likely I think it is more likely that simulated reality has been discovered only once rather than twice.

Vauxhall

« Reply #117 on: March 15, 2014, 05:52:09 PM »
I am interested in simulated reality. I think it is very unlikely. I do not think even given the presuppositions you hold that it makes it more likely I think it is more likely that simulated reality has been discovered only once rather than twice.

I don't even know what you're saying in half your posts, tbh.
Read the FAQS.

?

burt

« Reply #118 on: March 15, 2014, 05:52:18 PM »

Believe what?
The argument you tit.

The very things you keep mentioning. Have you not noticed that I've mostly been agreeing with you?

You still refuse to say it explicitly, and allow Vauxhall to trawl his misconceived notion that I am misrepresenting you.

Vauxhall

« Reply #119 on: March 15, 2014, 05:53:02 PM »
You still refuse to say it explicitly, and allow Vauxhall to trawl his misconceived notion that I am misrepresenting you.

You misrepresent everyone you talk to.
Read the FAQS.