How would the FE'ers measure the distance of the moon.

• 25 Replies
?

Starman

• Never miss a day to learn something
How would the FE'ers measure the distance of the moon.
« on: March 09, 2014, 06:06:28 PM »
For what remember the moon in the FE world is about 2300 miles away. How was the measured or was it?

?

robintex

• Ranters
Re: How would the FE'ers measure the distance of the moon.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2014, 06:57:38 PM »
There was a long running thead on the subject.:
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=58190.0#.Ux0awpt5GEo

There is also a poll on distances.

If you will scroll through the posts you will find a drawing showing how the FE measurement was made.
Besides the 3000 miles distance, there is also an FE measurement of the distance of 15 KM.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2014, 07:41:22 PM »
Wilbur Glenn Voliva made some mathematical calculations that showed the distance of the Sun and Moon.  I will try to find them for you. 

ausGeoff

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2014, 07:44:39 PM »
For what remember the moon in the FE world is about 2300 miles away. How was the measured or was it?

I doubt you'll get an answer, as the flat earthers don't have any sorts of devices for checking that sort of stuff.  Any alleged distance they quote has to be a guess—nothing more, nothing less.

These images demonstrate what's known as lunar "libration" (the small oscillation of the moon about its mean position) and also prove unequivocally that the moon is spherical.  I'm noting this simply because many flat earthers claim the the moon—like the earth—is flat (or disc-shaped).

ausGeoff

« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2014, 07:50:22 PM »
Wilbur Glenn Voliva made some mathematical calculations that showed the distance of the Sun and Moon.  I will try to find them for you.

You needn't bother jroa.  They were ludicrously wrong.

Voliva claimed the sun was 3,000 miles from the earth,  and only 32 miles in diameter.  LOL.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2014, 07:52:44 PM »

Here is the Modern Mechanics article on Voliva.  It shows his calculations. 

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2014, 07:53:45 PM »

Voliva claimed the sun was 3,000 miles from the earth,  and only 32 miles in diameter.  LOL.

You can LOL all you want, but that does not exactly answer the question in the OP, now does it? 

sokarul

• Extra Racist
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2014, 08:03:11 PM »

You can LOL all you want, but that does not exactly answer the question in the OP, now does it?
Neither does your last post as it is missing the article.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

?

tappet

« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2014, 08:10:01 PM »
Unless your working out fuel costs for transporting unobtainium that you have mined from the moon ,why would you need to know?

ausGeoff

« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2014, 09:29:13 PM »

Uh... it was YOU that introduced the distance to the sun in this thread.

And it was YOU that first mentioned Wilbur Glenn Voliva in this thread.

Do either of YOUR comments answer the OP's question?  No.  You lose. 

Again.

ausGeoff

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2014, 09:39:14 PM »

I'm guessing that this is the article jroa is referring to?   MODERN MECHANICS October 1931

Note the date!  LOL.  Are flat earthers really using 80-year-old science in support of their claims?

?

BJ1234

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2014, 09:41:18 PM »

I'm guessing that this is the article jroa is referring to?   MODERN MECHANICS October 1931

Note the date!  LOL.  Are flat earthers really using 80-year-old science in support of their claims?
It is more modern that Rowbotham's work is it not?

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2014, 10:27:40 PM »

Thanks for your quality contribution, sokarul.  ::)  I admit that I screwed up on my link.  Perhaps next time, you can actually try to contribute something. 

« Reply #13 on: March 09, 2014, 11:53:59 PM »

:D :D :D

They're heading in the right direction at least lol... at this rate they'll be using 21st century science just we enter the 25th century!

« Reply #14 on: March 09, 2014, 11:54:57 PM »

Are sphere earthers  still using NASA phoney 1972 blue marble photo to claim the worlds a sphere. Rabbits on Mars that's the problem you have of proving anything NASA provides as proof ,other then being a corrupt fraudulent lying pack of bastards.       
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2014, 12:01:09 AM »

Are sphere earthers  still using NASA phoney 1972 blue marble photo to claim the worlds a sphere. Rabbits on Mars that's the problem you have of proving anything NASA provides as proof ,other then being a corrupt fraudulent lying pack of bastards.       

Or we could just use a 2000 year old book full of fantasy stories written by semi illiterates who hadn't invented trousers yet...

You'd need to be pretty fuck off gullible to do that.

« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2014, 12:41:04 AM »

Or we could just use a 2000 year old book full of fantasy stories written by semi illiterates who hadn't invented trousers yet...

You'd need to be pretty fuck off gullible to do that.
I dont find any empathy in  NASA.
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

ausGeoff

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2014, 12:51:09 AM »
Are sphere earthers  still using NASA phoney 1972 blue marble photo to claim the worlds a sphere. Rabbits on Mars that's the problem you have of proving anything NASA provides as proof, other then being a corrupt fraudulent lying pack of bastards.       

The 1972 Blue Marble?  Do the flat earthers truly think that it's not been updated during the last 40 years?  The original Blue Marble was last updated on 25 January and 2 February 2012 and therefore now shows two images—one for the Western hemisphere and one for the Eastern hemisphere (although this particular image is neither).

Check this image out:

Much of the information contained in this image came from a single remote-sensing device-NASA’s Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer, or MODIS.

Flying over 700 km above the Earth onboard the Terra satellite, MODIS provides an integrated tool for observing a variety of terrestrial, oceanic, and atmospheric features of the Earth. The land and coastal ocean portions of these images are based on surface observations collected from June through September 2001 and combined, or composited, every eight days to compensate for clouds that might block the sensor’s view of the surface on any single day.

The cloud image is a composite of two days of imagery collected in visible light wavelengths and a third day of thermal infra-red imagery over the poles.

Global city lights, derived from 9 months of observations from the Defense Meteorological Satellite Program, are superimposed on a darkened land surface map.

From the NASA "Visible Earth site. Visualization Date: February 8, 2002.

?

Starman

« Reply #18 on: March 10, 2014, 04:13:32 AM »
Well so far there is lots of discussion. In today's technology you would think the FE'ers "could measure" the distance of the moon if it is 3000 miles away. The Greeks was accurate to with few percent of 240,000 miles. This was done 2000 years ago. Today they use lasers to accurate measure it.

glokta

« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2014, 04:18:16 AM »

:D :D :D

They're heading in the right direction at least lol... at this rate they'll be using 21st century science just we enter the 25th century!

Once again, my favourite part of this article:
The Voliva prize probably will remain uncollected unless some future space traveler some day anchors his ship a few thousand miles out in space and takes a movie of a globular world turning on its axis. That seems to be the only way the $5,000 can ever be collected.
Quote from: sceptimatic
Use your brain. There is no sun in space. You are simply duped.

« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2014, 12:34:10 PM »

That does not represent science 80 years ago!
Quote from: mikeman7918
a single photon can pass through two sluts

Quote from: Chicken Fried Clucker
if Donald Trump stuck his penis in me after trying on clothes I would have that date and time burned in my head.

?

Starman

« Reply #21 on: March 10, 2014, 02:56:08 PM »
We have airlines today that can fly non stop for 7,000 miles or more. That is more than twice the distance to the FE moon. You would think that some FE'ers would have or use modern technology (Radar, Laser) to confirm their claim. Wouldn't it be a major event if they could prove it. Maybe the world would take the FES seriously.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #22 on: March 10, 2014, 07:16:29 PM »

I think that 15 Kilometer distance and 600 Mile diameter of the moon had something to with a photograh of the transit of  Venus or an aircraft across the sun.

I think FE's also consider the moon and the sun to be the same distance from the earth and the same diameter. This was the reason for the 15 KM/600 Mile measurent of the distance and diameter of the moon.

It's somewhere in one of the threads on this forum .

I think FE's don't believe in modern technology or science such as a Radar or Laser either. I'm not going to comment on all the ignorance that FE's posted on that thread I cited. It seems to be too much of a sore spot for jroa.

ROFLOL.

« Last Edit: March 10, 2014, 07:28:04 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

ausGeoff

« Reply #23 on: March 11, 2014, 04:50:28 AM »

I think FE's also consider the moon and the sun to be the same distance from the earth and the same diameter.

I think FE's don't believe in modern technology or science such as a Radar or Laser either.

It's a pity that they apparently don't believe in lasers (but remembering sceptimatic's alleged use of lasers though in his bullshit "research" seems to indicate some do) because shining laser beams onto reflective pads (higher albedo than the moon's surface) we can measure the distance of the moon from the earth within a few centimetres (6 inches).

?

Fe_denier

• "Pluralitas non est ponenda sine neccesitate"
« Reply #24 on: March 12, 2014, 08:00:03 PM »

Also atoms are actually 2.5 cm in diameter.

ausGeoff

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2014, 09:56:29 AM »
I can't fail to notice that none of the flat earthers in this thread were even game to attempt a challenge of my two moon images clearly showing its sphericity.

I wonder why LOL.

(Pssssst... if we just ignore this image, it might just... uh... go away.)