Why do ships disappear when they sail away from me

• 103 Replies
?

Starman

• Never miss a day to learn something
Re: Why do ships disappear when they sail away from me
« Reply #90 on: April 02, 2014, 06:25:28 AM »

If you put your ruler in front of your camera and take a picture of the horizon with it it will have some more value. Don't you think?

Starman what value would it be to put a ruler in front of the camera?
Don't tell me you have not figured it out. When you take pictures you have no reference to compare things with. Some cameras with wide angles lends (and most do) will give a fish eye effect that could give the illusion of a curved horizon. Because you know the ruler is straight it will give you a straight reference to compare with.
So if I was to take a photo of the horizon with a ruler, and lets take it further to be more scientific. Say I wrote my name on the ruler so it come up in the photo, that would give it even more value I reckon,  don't you?
If this is true then you could compare the horizon to your ruler and your name would also be in the photo to give it more value.
Would you agree Starman?
Our name on it would prove the ruler is good. Now don't assume a 12 inch ruler in from of you will have the field of view wide enough to cover the horizon with your camera. The ruler is to give a reference to compare it to what you are measuring. Take a normal picture with your camera with your ruler at arms length. Does the ruler look straight or does have a curve. If it look likes a curve it is your camera doing that.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #91 on: April 02, 2014, 06:47:17 AM »
I regard to people taking photos to illustrate their arguments, some time ago I posted the following image:

And the very first response—from a flat earther—came courtesy tappet, who said:  "That's pathetic!  If you roundies think I am going to waste my time jumping through hoops to do experiments debating against this rubbish I am done".

Which is why I've not bothered to post any more images on the topic of a curved horizon.  Regardless of whether we round earthers post third-party images, or our own images, the flat earthers invariably dismiss them as rubbish.

EDIT:  grammar!

The problem with posting 'curved horizon' pictures is that this is not at all what you'd predict from a round Earth. On a spherical Earth, you are technically ALWAYS on the highest part of the average curvature, and therefore always looking at every point on an unobstructed horizon as being at the same angular position. A 'curvature' in the horizon would therefore simply be either an aberration in the lens or a fake.

I hate to give any fuel to FE's, but actually the fact that this is the expectation of either group is ridiculous, and whoever provides a 'curved horizon' or asks for evidence of one is not thinking clearly.

This is exactly what I was trying to explain to ausgeoff some time ago.

You cannot see curvature unless you get VERY HIGH.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #92 on: April 02, 2014, 03:21:01 PM »
This is exactly what I was trying to explain to ausgeoff some time ago.

You cannot see curvature unless you get VERY HIGH.

My favourite is when you fellow roundies try to explain something to them, and they assume you are a flat earther. Because they are completely incapable of seeing through any other lens than their own; no critical or objective thinking appears possible.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

?

tappet

« Reply #93 on: April 03, 2014, 12:28:49 AM »

Our name on it would prove the ruler is good. Now don't assume a 12 inch ruler in from of you will have the field of view wide enough to cover the horizon with your camera. The ruler is to give a reference to compare it to what you are measuring. Take a normal picture with your camera with your ruler at arms length. Does the ruler look straight or does have a curve. If it look likes a curve it is your camera doing that.
Starman would you consider this a good, honest picture?
Its taken at a height of over 400ft with a 7ft straight edge lining up perfectly with the horizon and has my name on the straight edge.
This picture was not intended to prove flat earth. It is to prove ausGeoff is incorrect when he says that you can see the left to right  curvature of the earth whilst standing on a beach.
Starman what do you think?

?

tappet

« Reply #94 on: April 03, 2014, 12:39:30 AM »

?

Starman

« Reply #95 on: April 03, 2014, 03:55:46 AM »
I mentioned earlier you can't measure at ground level the curvature of the earth horizontally. It earth is way too big to be measure in the way you want to do. In any case the picture with the level is curved slightly upwards. That is caused by your camera. It does not prove the earth is flat or round. If you edit the image to bring the ruler straight the horizon will look curved. Let me show you in a bit.

?

Starman

« Reply #96 on: April 03, 2014, 04:00:45 AM »
See how your level is curved and the water is straight.

?

tappet

« Reply #97 on: April 03, 2014, 02:09:38 PM »

Are you claiming the camera can now curve a straight edge without curving the  horizon?

If the camera curves a straight edge it will curve the horizon as well if they are in the same photo.
Maybe if you look close enough you will notice that the particular photo you are referring to the level is on a slight angle.
When you make the effort to try these little experiments it can be a little tricky setting these things up on sand.
So how about you focus on the first photo with my name in it.
Is it a good photo?
« Last Edit: April 03, 2014, 02:11:18 PM by tappet »

?

Starman

« Reply #98 on: April 03, 2014, 02:27:25 PM »

Are you claiming the camera can now curve a straight edge without curving the  horizon?

If the camera curves a straight edge it will curve the horizon as well if they are in the same photo.
Maybe if you look close enough you will notice that the particular photo you are referring to the level is on a slight angle.
When you make the effort to try these little experiments it can be a little tricky setting these things up on sand.
Is it a good photo?
Yes it will. Every camera has a lens and to get a perfect image will not happen. Some very special cameras are can give perfect pictures but I forget which type it is. It was mentioned here before. You are doing a test that can't not be done even if you has a $1000 camera. They all have some sort of fish eye content.

?

tappet

« Reply #99 on: April 03, 2014, 02:43:02 PM »

Is it a good photo?
Yes it will. Every camera has a lens and to get a perfect image will not happen. Some very special cameras are can give perfect pictures but I forget which type it is. It was mentioned here before. You are doing a test that can't not be done even if you has a $1000 camera. They all have some sort of fish eye content.
If you claim it is so hard to show an accurate horizon photo with a straight edge on stable ground because you stated they all have some sort of fish eye content, don't you dare ever post any videos or pictures of curvature at height especially from amateur rockets/balloons as I will be watching and waiting to remind you of this conversation.

?

Starman

« Reply #100 on: April 03, 2014, 02:52:48 PM »

Is it a good photo?
If you claim it is so hard to show an accurate horizon photo with a straight edge on stable ground because you stated they all have some sort of fish eye content, don't you dare ever post any videos or pictures of curvature at height especially from amateur rockets/balloons as I will be watching and waiting to remind you of this conversation.
There is a huge difference between measuring something that has an extremely small magnitude as compared to something that is obvious. For example if the water line has 1 inch bulge from a 1000 feet wide horizon you will never take a picture of it. If you are far in space the curvature of the earth is as obvious as looking at the moon.

?

Starman

« Reply #101 on: April 03, 2014, 05:55:32 PM »

Is it a good photo?
I did the math. The earth drops one inch per 540 feet. Go out by the beach and a ways out put two buoys 540 feet apart. Then back up so you can see the buoys are at the left and right side of the camera. Take a picture. You will NEVER see the one inch bulge in the middle. It is too small to capture on a camera no matter how good it is.

?

dyno

« Reply #102 on: April 03, 2014, 10:48:46 PM »
http://theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php?topic=22317.0#.Uz5HD70Z7qA

Wow, still going strong. I wonder how many times this argument has been made.