Round Earthers agree

• 117 Replies

ausGeoff

Re: Round Earthers agree
« Reply #30 on: March 07, 2014, 12:09:00 PM »
To hit this from another angle, what would you see if you were standing in the middle of a 10km diameter disc, looking toward the edge? I'll give you a hint: it wouldn't be a straight line.
It would unless you were at a height.

Oh dear.  The inevitable's happened.  We now have a totally, absolutely, laughably erroneous claim from our resident "genius" scientist and researcher who's already (apparently) proved the earth is flat with a very expensive and complex—but as yet unpublished for peer review—research experiment.

Apparently, if sceptimatic were to stand at the very centre of a circular football field, its boundary would be a straight line—apparently tending to infinity—rather than a simple "closed" curve (mathematically, when viewed from inside the field, the boundary is made up of two opposite positive curves and two opposite negative curves comprising the four 90º quadrants).

?

tappet

« Reply #31 on: March 07, 2014, 12:13:38 PM »
Well at least we are getting somewhere now.
We have four REers that believe you can see left to right horizon curvature whilst standing on a beach.
So now it looks like the majority of REers can see this curvature.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2014, 12:18:12 PM »
To hit this from another angle, what would you see if you were standing in the middle of a 10km diameter disc, looking toward the edge? I'll give you a hint: it wouldn't be a straight line.
It would unless you were at a height.

Oh dear.  The inevitable's happened.  We now have a totally, absolutely, laughably erroneous claim from our resident "genius" scientist and researcher who's already (apparently) proved the earth is flat with a very expensive and complex—but as yet unpublished for peer review—research experiment.

Apparently, if sceptimatic were to stand at the very centre of a circular football field, its boundary would be a straight line—apparently tending to infinity—rather than a simple "closed" curve (mathematically, when viewed from inside the field, the boundary is made up of two opposite positive curves and two opposite negative curves comprising the four 90º quadrants).

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2014, 12:20:43 PM »
Scepti - you said you sent your document to the mods, please give them permission to say that they have received it on here.

?

tappet

« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2014, 12:27:34 PM »
Scepti - you said you sent your document to the mods, please give them permission to say that they have received it on here.
Please do not derail this thread.

ausGeoff

« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2014, 12:40:47 PM »

Uh... the first image is a straight line of finite length.

The other three images are ellipses.

Your point is what exactly?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2014, 12:50:01 PM »
My point is, if you're small or low to the ground, that's how your circle would look in the first image and so on, the higher you get.

« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2014, 12:52:27 PM »
My point is, if you're small or low to the ground, that's how your circle would look in the first image and so on, the higher you get.
Why an ellipse and not a circle?

What are positive curves?
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 12:55:06 PM by inquisitive »

ausGeoff

« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2014, 12:57:09 PM »

I've spent a lot of time standing on football fields in my time, and I've never ever seen a circular 1.2m high boundary railing look anything even vaguely like your first image.

Or your 2nd or 3rd or 4th for that matter.

(I'm 178cm tall.  Does that make me "small"?)

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2014, 12:57:38 PM »

It's not an ellipse, it's a circle seen from a point of view of being laid low or stood on a circular field. If I made a perfect circle with the dot, then it would be like it was taken from the air. I don't suppose you people can see stuff like this.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2014, 12:58:44 PM »

I've spent a lot of time standing on football fields in my time, and I've never ever seen a circular 1.2m high boundary railing look anything even vaguely like your first image.

Or your 2nd or 3rd or 4th for that matter.

(I'm 178cm tall.  Does that make me "small"?)
So you've seen a circular football field floating in the air have you?

« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2014, 01:00:54 PM »

It's not an ellipse, it's a circle seen from a point of view of being laid low or stood on a circular field. If I made a perfect circle with the dot, then it would be like it was taken from the air. I don't suppose you people can see stuff like this.
As seen from somewhere outside the circle. So?   What are positive curves?

ausGeoff

« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2014, 01:03:59 PM »

Nope.  If (as I said) I'm standing in the centre of a circular football field, there is NO way that the boundary rail is going to magically turn into an ellipsoid!  My 170º peripheral vision tells me I'm seeing a semi-circle (minus about 10º or so).

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2014, 01:05:12 PM »

Nope.  If (as I said) I'm standing in the centre of a circular football field, there is NO way that the boundary rail is going to magically turn into an ellipsoid!  My 170º peripheral vision tells me I'm seeing a semi-circle (minus about 10º or so).
A football field is only small. It's hardly a yard stick for anything, Geoffrey.

ausGeoff

« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2014, 01:10:23 PM »

Put simply, if you're standing in the middle of the football field, any tangent drawn from the outside of the field to the perimeter railing will be sloping at xº to the right for the quadrant to your front left field of view, or for the quadrant to your rear right field of view.

(I was just trying to get a rise out of sceptimatic, but it didn't work LOL.)

ausGeoff

« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2014, 01:14:27 PM »
A football field is only small. It's hardly a yard stick for anything, Geoffrey.

Nope.  Wrong again my friend.  The dimensions of a geometrical figure have nothing to do with its properties.  A dinner plate or a football field or our planet... doesn't matter one iota what their relative sizes are.

For a self-described genius, you don't seem to know a lot about mathematics.  Is this correct?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2014, 01:20:49 PM »

Nope.  Wrong again my friend.  The dimensions of a geometrical figure have nothing to do with its properties.  A dinner plate or a football field or our planet... doesn't matter one iota what their relative sizes are.

For a self-described genius, you don't seem to know a lot about mathematics.  Is this correct?
If you stood on a roundabout you would see the curve. Likewise on a football field, only less severe. If you were stood on something just a few miles in diameter then you see an horizon beause your eyes cannot take in the wider view, so straight it is, just like the horizon you see now...because... you're living on a circle not a sphere.

?

tappet

« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2014, 09:59:13 PM »
We have four REers that believe you can see left to right horizon curvature whilst standing on a beach.
Ok it looks as though according to round earthers that you can see left to right curvature of the horizon whilst standing on a beach. Tomorrow I will be starting a new thread and if a round earther flip flops and say's you cannot see the curvature until 60,000 ft I will have no choice but to think roundies have got know idea what they are on about.

« Reply #48 on: March 07, 2014, 11:25:51 PM »
Ok it looks as though according to round earthers that you can see left to right curvature of the horizon whilst standing on a beach. Tomorrow I will be starting a new thread and if a round earther flip flops and say's you cannot see the curvature until 60,000 ft I will have no choice but to think roundies have got know idea what they are on about.

Tappet, you seem like a very nice guy and you're into cars and all..

But seriously... accusing people who are not delusional about the very thing we stand on, REers if you must call us that, of having no idea, there is a sweet irony to that that you must surely see no?

Who needs proof when you have someone like Skepti on the FE side?  That alone should prove beyond any measure that the earth is round...
« Last Edit: March 07, 2014, 11:27:23 PM by SirSpankalot »

?

tappet

« Reply #49 on: March 07, 2014, 11:53:44 PM »
Why is it so hard to get a straight answer from the RE believer about curvature running left to right on the horizon whilst standing on a beach?
 Some say you can see it some say you cannot.
Why don't the REers all agree with each other. Something here is wrong.

« Reply #50 on: March 08, 2014, 12:04:41 AM »
Why is it so hard to get a straight answer from the RE believer about curvature running left to right on the horizon whilst standing on a beach?
 Some say you can see it some say you cannot.
Why don't the REers all agree with each other. Something here is wrong.

Go to the beach.. make your field of vision is as large as possible. and look for your self!

?

tappet

« Reply #51 on: March 08, 2014, 12:24:23 AM »
Tell me which REer to debate with, the one who thinks you can see curvature running left to right on the horizon whilst standing on a beach or the one who thinks you cannot. It is too hard debating both and it does not make sense.

« Reply #52 on: March 08, 2014, 01:14:05 AM »
Tappet, do you realise that you've just described debating with FEers?

None of them can agree to a model, a map, any fundamental workings at all... they all have different viewpoints and all think anyone who disagrees with them, regardless of empirical evidence to support their position, is a mind controlled cretin, a shill or part of the conspiracy! lol

Have you considered that you just don't understand certain things, and if you bothered to learn some very basic physics, you'd see that we actually do live on a round globe?

?

tappet

« Reply #53 on: March 08, 2014, 01:20:46 AM »
Do you believe you can see left to right curvature of the horizon whilst standing on a beach.
Just a simple yes or no would be ample information, cheers.

« Reply #54 on: March 08, 2014, 01:49:38 AM »
yes, but just because I see a curve, does not mean it exists...

?

tappet

« Reply #55 on: March 08, 2014, 01:53:40 AM »
Do you think it could be an illusion?

« Reply #56 on: March 08, 2014, 03:46:31 AM »
Well, to be honest I don't know, but I suspect so...

The horizon surrounds you and as you look at anything that curves around like that, it looks more like an arc - or has curvature..

When I was young, sailing with my Dad he always pointed it the 'curvature of the earth' when we were in the ocean on calm days, but since then I have learnt that you really do need to be up very high to be able to see it.

So, logic tells me the curve we see is a result of our point of view relative to the horizon arc circling us.

I haven't looked into the physics of it enough to say much more than that.

Mind you, the curvature you do see is bloody convincing..!

ausGeoff

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2014, 08:53:46 AM »

When I stand at the base of the sand dunes at my local ocean beach (Bass Strait) I have a totally uninterrupted field of view of the ocean's horizon of at least 180º horizontally as per this diagram:

The 30º arc denotes the normal "gaze" range.
The 120º arc denotes the normal binocular range.
Each of the 95º arcs denote the normal limits of the 2-D range.

Which is exactly the reason the 55mm lens on my camera "sees" the same thing as I do, that is, the curvature of the horizon.

?

tappet

« Reply #58 on: March 08, 2014, 02:01:12 PM »
Next time you go to the beach take a long straight edge and something to stabilize it at both ends.
The straight edge is 180 degrees. Put your face up close to the middle of the straight edge and look to the right, you will notice the horizon follows the edge then turn your head slowly to the left and the horizon will follow the straight edge all the way through. The straight edge does not lie.
The horizon will always straighten out when you apply the straight edge.

« Reply #59 on: March 08, 2014, 03:02:38 PM »
I don't need to do that because it doesn't prove anything one way or the other.