Curvature for a Rounder

• 77 Replies
?

tappet

Curvature for a Rounder
« on: March 01, 2014, 02:59:03 PM »
Are there any Round Earther's on this forum that really do believe you can see the earth's curvature whilst standing at sea level on a beach?

?

Starman

• Never miss a day to learn something
Re: Curvature for a Rounder
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2014, 03:00:54 PM »
Are there any Round Earther's on this forum that really do believe you can see the earth's curvature whilst standing at sea level on a beach?
Good question. I am a RE'er and you can't see the curve on the beach. It does not mean the earth is flat.

?

tappet

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2014, 09:57:50 PM »
I am a RE'er and you can't see the curve on the beach.
But Starman my camera can take photo's showing the earths curvature whilst standing on the beach. How can this be?

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2014, 10:07:21 PM »

Yes, it's very very obvious..

but I believe that it's merely an optical illusion.

?

tappet

« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2014, 10:12:04 PM »

Yes, it's very very obvious..

I agree with you.

ausGeoff

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2014, 12:57:50 AM »

Yeah... it's  a similar optical illusion as all the satellites whizzing around in our skies every night.

Salviati

• What is my Personal Text?
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2014, 01:25:00 AM »
Isn't possible to see the earth's curvature from sea level, you have to go very, very high. From ISS (400 km) it's possible, but the more convincing fact is not a single, still image from ISS, but observing the globe of the earth rolling by. Go on youtube and insert earth from iss or something, you will find plenty of such videos that clearly show a globe. Needless to say, they are all faked by the conspiracy.

It is perhaps necessary to add that there are now hundreds of men and women who have been on iss and recounted their experience, but of course they were all threatened with death and are lying.

Anyway, even from sea level we can indirectly see earth's curvature, because we see a crisp line separating sky and ground. This is possible only on a globe. If the earth was flat, sky and ground should be separated by a fuzzy, blurry strip.
Q: Why do you think the Earth is round?
A: Look out the window!

« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2014, 01:46:21 AM »

Yeah... it's  a similar optical illusion as all the satellites whizzing around in our skies every night.

What?! lol

satellites are real Geoff.. have you been drinking?

I was simply saying that given you're not meant to actually see the real horizon till you're 60,000 feet up or something, then the very obvious curved horizon we see at seal level must be an illusion.. at the end of the day.. I have no idea, I know what I see though...

The fact of the matter is, that this forum has measurably dumbed me down.  I think I have literally lost about 30 IQ points since I've been here  :o :(

And I've had that peer reviewed!

?

tappet

« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2014, 02:49:45 AM »

Gee I really don't know what's going on ausGeoff , you don't  seem to be getting much support from the other round earthers.
Maybe we need Rottingroom to clear this mess up.

« Reply #9 on: March 02, 2014, 03:26:31 AM »
Nonsense, I absolutely support Geoff.. he was being sarcastic in his reply to me, and every other post I have seen of his smacks of reason, rationality and logic.

?

tappet

« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2014, 03:42:10 AM »
Nonsense, I absolutely support Geoff.. he was being sarcastic in his reply to me, and every other post I have seen of his smacks of reason, rationality and logic.
So you are saying that you believe you can stand on a beach and see the curvature of the earth running left to right.

?

Starman

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2014, 03:52:45 AM »
But Starman my camera can take photo's showing the earths curvature whilst standing on the beach. How can this be?
Don't worry about your camera.  it may not be that good. Now if a tall ship sail away from me i can see the earth's curve.

?

tappet

« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2014, 03:58:03 AM »
Don't worry about your camera.  it may not be that good. Now if a tall ship sail away from me i can see the earth's curve.
Starman do you believe you can stand on a beach and see the earths curvature running left to right?

« Reply #13 on: March 02, 2014, 04:00:47 AM »
So you are saying that you believe you can stand on a beach and see the curvature of the earth running left to right.

I may be wrong and Geoff may be right.. IN the end, I don't know enough about the subject to really comment..

that said, it seems that the consensus is that you can't make out the curvature unless your above xxx feet...    Maybe Geoff is wrong on that..

In the end, it's not important.. we know the earth is round.. those that think otherwise are wrong and have absolutely no credibility.. the notion is nothing more than an amusement to us (well to me anyway) and to research such a pointless subject is a waste of time..

There are much more interesting things to learn about than that.. some of which I have learn while on this site.. which is cool.

We may hold a certain globular view and have 100% of the body of evidence on our side.... but if we happen to be wrong on the detail, or we make a mistake on the detail.. it does not disprove what is right under our feet.. a globular earth.  It just proves that we can fuck up and most of us will, once we see that we have, openly accept it..

That can't be said of any FEer.. I've read many posts on here now and none of them ever back down even if they've been proven to be totally wrong.

?

Starman

« Reply #14 on: March 02, 2014, 04:11:26 AM »
Starman do you believe you can stand on a beach and see the earths curvature running left to right?
At the beach level no. The curve is so slight that you could not detect it. Some have taken pictures and claim that is flat or round. It is not a valid test for the FE'ers and RE'ers. Now if you get really high in altitude the curvature starts to show up. It is like if you stuck your eye on a very large beach ball. It looks flat but when you back up the ball from your eye you will see it is round.

?

tappet

« Reply #15 on: March 02, 2014, 04:19:37 AM »

At the beach level no. The curve is so slight that you could not detect it. Some have taken pictures and claim that is flat or round. It is not a valid test for the FE'ers and RE'ers. Now if you get really high in altitude the curvature starts to show up. It is like if you stuck your eye on a very large beach ball. It looks flat but when you back up the ball from your eye you will see it is round.
Thank you for your answer.

?

Starman

« Reply #16 on: March 02, 2014, 04:29:22 AM »
Here is another scenario. Lets say for "argument" sake there is a huge ball a few thousand miles in diameter. You are on it. Although it is very large you could not see if the ball is flat or round. Pictures or not you could not see it. It is so large your eyes or camera can't detect the curvature. Now lets make the ball smaller and smaller. If the ball is just a few miles in diameter you MAY start to see something of a curve. If the ball is a few hundred feet in diameter you will definitely see it to be round. That is because in part your eye level is further up compared to the size of the ball. In other words your viewing the earth from the beach will never be a valid test to conclude the earth is flat or round. That is why high altitude pictures above earth becomes more of a valid test if the earth is flat or round.

?

tappet

« Reply #17 on: March 02, 2014, 04:41:32 AM »
Here is another scenario. Lets say for "argument" sake there is a huge ball a few thousand miles in diameter. You are on it. Although it is very large you could not see if the ball is flat or round. Pictures or not you could not see it. It is so large your eyes or camera can't detect the curvature. Now lets make the ball smaller and smaller. If the ball is just a few miles in diameter you MAY start to see something of a curve. If the ball is a few hundred feet in diameter you will definitely see it to be round. That is because in part your eye level is further up compared to the size of the ball. In other words your viewing the earth from the beach will never be a valid test to conclude the earth is flat or round. That is why high altitude pictures above earth becomes more of a valid test if the earth is flat or round.
So in a nutshell you are saying the earth is so big you could not stand on a beach and  see or photograph curvature running left to right to prove flatness or roundness of this earth.

?

Starman

« Reply #18 on: March 02, 2014, 04:51:01 AM »
So in a nutshell you are saying the earth is so big you could not stand on a beach and  see or photograph curvature running left to right to prove flatness or roundness of this earth.
That is right. You got it dude.

?

Starman

« Reply #19 on: March 02, 2014, 06:00:57 AM »
Adding another note here. RE'ers know you can't conclude the earth is flat on a left to right viewing at the beach but FE'ers made that conclusion because it looks like a simple answer. When you think about the earth is has a perimeter of 24,000 miles and what you see at the beach could only be 10 miles or so.

?

tappet

« Reply #20 on: March 02, 2014, 01:37:34 PM »

Starman, I guess then if the earth is to big to see left to right curvature then any photo's I take showing curvature would really just be an illusion. Am I getting this right.

?

Starman

« Reply #21 on: March 02, 2014, 01:45:04 PM »

Starman, I guess then if the earth is to big to see left to right curvature then any photo's I take showing curvature would really just be an illusion. Am I getting this right.
Yes and it would also be an illusion to see it flat. The camera at ground level would not be valid way to say if it is flat or round. Lets face it flat or round the earth is huge. It also holds true that looking out the window is not a valid way to declare anything.

?

tappet

« Reply #22 on: March 02, 2014, 01:59:09 PM »
The camera at ground level would not be valid way to say if it is flat or round.
But what would make the camera suddenly valid at altitude?
« Last Edit: March 02, 2014, 02:04:13 PM by tappet »

« Reply #23 on: March 02, 2014, 02:08:02 PM »
The camera at ground level would not be valid way to say if it is flat or round.
Think about the horizon...

?

tappet

« Reply #24 on: March 02, 2014, 02:18:48 PM »
Think about the horizon...
So a photo taken at sea level is invalid.
But a photo taken at altitude is valid. Is this what you are trying to tell me?

?

Starman

« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2014, 02:22:34 PM »
But what would make it suddenly valid at altitude?
There is no mountain top that you could truly say definably it is flat or round. You may see a hint of curvature but that would not be good enough. As you get to about 100,000 feet it starts to show but taking a picture is very tricky. Most balloons that are sent up are not using cameras to just take picture for that purpose. it is mostly wide angle cameras to see the whole view but the picture can be deceiving. When you get to the edge of the atmosphere(defined as 62 miles) at 327360 ft it will definably start to show. As you go up the earth is getting further and further away. Only rockets can get there. Taking a picture at that altitude is tricky also but by most part it will show the curvature. At a higher altitude say 125 miles that is absolutely no question about it. The earth is round. The problem is FE don't believe that rockets can go that high. I truly believe that the FE'er believe that they do but will not admit to it. In the technology we live today that is not much a problem. We have super large airlines(Airbus 380) with 800 people that can travel 9300 miles non stop and and to think we could not go up a nearly 125 miles. Nuclear missiles can travel across a continent in 25 minutes. The only way to do that is to send it at high speed in space. If you would try to do that in the atmosphere is would burn up because if the air friction. Beside there would not be enough fuel to travel at least 5000 miles in the air. The question is if FE'ers believe rocket can travel in space the flat earth debate would be solved. Not a good thing for the FE'ers so that is why it will always be denied. So do you believe rockets can go up higher than 100 miles?

?

tappet

« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2014, 02:30:14 PM »
But Starman you said if a photo shows curvature at sea level it is an illusion, correct?
If this is the case how do you know the same illusion is not happening at altitude?
How can you say it is not?

?

Starman

« Reply #27 on: March 02, 2014, 02:35:24 PM »
But Starman you said if a photo shows curvature at sea level it is an illusion, correct?
If this is the case how do you know the same illusion is not happening at altitude?
How can you say it is not?
The illusion at ground level is so small it SEEMS flat or SEEMS round. But as you get further away from earth the curvature starts to show up. It is like you would stick your eye on a very large beach ball. It would look flat. Back up your eye a bit and it will still look flat. if you keep backing the ball further away from your eye there will be a point where you will see the ball round. Does that make sense to you?l 

?

tappet

« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2014, 02:41:59 PM »
Yes, but if I cannot trust the camera to take a photo of the horizon at sea level showing correct curvature what would make me then think it would be acceptable to believe it takes an accurate photo at height?

?

Starman

« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2014, 02:50:18 PM »
Yes, but if I cannot trust the camera to take a photo of the horizon at sea level showing correct curvature what would make me then think it would be acceptable to believe it takes an accurate photo at height?
At sea level it is not obvious to the eye or photo. At high altitude a camera could not be that wrong. Here is an example. Although we are very far from the moon it appears round. Don't worry about it being a sphere. It you take a million picture of it they will all show the same results. It looks round. You can trust the camera at that point. The question is how high would you trust the camera as valid. Would it be 100 miles, 1000 miles, 10,000 miles. How about you were on the moon looking back at the earth. The round effect would be the same.