Poll

Can scientist/engineers research and development save your life?

Yes - They make all the difference.
12 (75%)
No - They don't make much of a difference.
1 (6.3%)
None of the above
3 (18.8%)

Total Members Voted: 16

Can scientists/engineers save your life?

• 36 Replies
?

Starman

• Never miss a day to learn something
Can scientists/engineers save your life?
« on: February 24, 2014, 02:27:53 PM »
Scientist/engineers work on research and development for all sort of things. Does it make a difference to save our life?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Can scientists/engineers save your life?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 03:00:00 PM »
Is our life in danger?
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 07:08:58 PM »
Let's say I wouldn't even be alive if it weren't for modern science so I'd say definitely yes.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 07:48:10 PM »
I would say definitely yes also. Also a lot of us wouldn't have our present jobs if it wasn't for scientists and engineers. And if it wasn't for scientists and engineers none of us would be on our PC's, much less the Internet and this website.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2014, 07:50:24 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2014, 01:42:40 PM »
The issue of whether a lot of us "have jobs" is an artificially constructed one. Likewise, so is the need for technology and science. While they are important endeavors and improve the value of living in some ways they also reduce it a thousand others by creating an artificial and unnatural environment.

We are just as likely to be destroyed by science than we are to be saved by it. It is wisdom not technology that makes the difference between salvation and death. Science has long since divorced itself from wisdom and morality and thus it should be examined with a very cautious eye. It is no more than the religion of this Age and it has shown itself as such a thousand times.

ausGeoff

« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2014, 02:08:26 PM »
It is no more than the religion of this Age and it has shown itself as such a thousand times.

Whilst this statement sounds very deep and meaningful, I disagree totally with it.

The tenets of science are nothing like religious dogma.  Scientific rationalism is based solely on empirical evidence.  Religion is based solely on faith, and faith is defined as "belief without proof".  And science has nothing to do with morality per se.  That's for the philosophers and bioethicists to decide upon.

I also disagree with your allegation that science has reduced the "value of living" in a thousand ways. Please give us some examples, instead of empty rhetoric.  Or would you prefer to be living in the Middle Ages, riding on a horse and cart, reading by candlelight, drinking from the village well, and with your every thought and action being controlled by the church?  You know; before the age of contemporary science?

A hundred years ago, appendicitis, diabetes, emphysema, smallpox, mitral stenosis etc were all automatic premature death sentences.

Now—thanks to science—we have surgery, insulin pumps, lung transplants, antibiotics, and plastic heart valves, all thanks to the efforts of scientists.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2014, 02:20:36 PM »
It is no more than the religion of this Age and it has shown itself as such a thousand times.

Whilst this statement sounds very deep and meaningful, I disagree totally with it.

The tenets of science are nothing like religious dogma.  Scientific rationalism is based solely on empirical evidence.  Religion is based solely on faith, and faith is defined as "belief without proof".  And science has nothing to do with morality per se.  That's for the philosophers and bioethicists to decide upon.

I also disagree with your allegation that science has reduced the "value of living" in a thousand ways. Please give us some examples, instead of empty rhetoric.  Or would you prefer to be living in the Middle Ages, riding on a horse and cart, reading by candlelight, drinking from the village well, and with your every thought and action being controlled by the church?  You know; before the age of contemporary science?

A hundred years ago, appendicitis, diabetes, emphysema, smallpox, mitral stenosis etc were all automatic premature death sentences.

Now—thanks to science—we have surgery, insulin pumps, lung transplants, antibiotics, and plastic heart valves, all thanks to the efforts of scientists.
The tenets of science may not read as religious dogma, but their actions certainly do. You talk of science being based on empirical evidence, but I have yet to see any answer to just about every true shaper of science regarding empirical evidence as unimportant. Look at Einstein, arguably the most brilliant scientific mind of our era, for evidence of this.  To quote: "So much the worse for the experiment. The theory is right!" Another quote along these lines from Paul Dirac: “it is more important to have beauty in one’s equations than to have them fit experiment.” Galileo also ignored empirical evidence as did Copernicus. Newton's universe was hand tied together by God himself.

To see how little technology plays a role in mans happiness, simply look at Taoist works or more modernly works from transcendentalists like Thoreau. Chinese science had it right - it did not seek to separate wisdom from knowledge.

It might be nice to marvel at our ingenuity at solving the problem of cooking food fast with a microwave; it has done very little besides breeding dumb comformists that don't understand what science and knowledge is. We still shuffle about this mortal coil, however we are more lost than ever. To the average person his state is the same as the middle ages - being handed own priestcraft of doubtful validity by the local monks (newscasters) from the new Church of religion. While all at the same time violently hating supposed faith and ignorance - properties that each of these average people unwittingly have.
« Last Edit: February 28, 2014, 06:53:26 AM by TheProgrammer »

glokta

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 02:22:55 PM »
Quote from: TheProgrammer
It is no more than the religion of this
Age and it has shown itself as such a
thousand times.
Well I hope for your sake that if you ever suffer a cardiac arrest the medics reach for a defibrillator rather than a Bible.
Quote from: sceptimatic
Use your brain. There is no sun in space. You are simply duped.

?

Starman

« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 02:48:37 PM »
Quote from: TheProgrammer
It is no more than the religion of this
Age and it has shown itself as such a
thousand times.
Well I hope for your sake that if you ever suffer a cardiac arrest the medics reach for a defibrillator rather than a Bible.

I usually tell people God has given medical scientist the talent to make our lives better.

« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2014, 04:20:07 PM »
Plumbing. You can all thank engineers for water and wastewater management.

Otherwise you'd be living in the slums, catching the plague.

Or on a farm, poopin in a hole.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

ausGeoff

« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2014, 05:49:47 PM »

The tenets of science may not read as religious dogma, but their actions certainly do.

Are you being serious?  There's no "may" about it.  Scientific tenets involve no dogma at all. And their actions?  Science has no holy book, no priests dictating what they do, no temples of worship, no moralising, no kowtowing to a mythical god.

You talk of science being based on empirical evidence, but I have yet to see any answer to just about every true shaper of science regarding empirical evidence as unimportant. Look at Einstein, arguably the most brilliant scientific mind of our era, for evidence of this.  To quote: "So much the worse for the experiment. The theory is right!" Galileo also ignored empirical evidence as did Copernicus. Newton's universe was hand tied together by God himself.

You may notice that I usually use the phrase "contemporary" science.  Which refers to scientists that haven't been dead for centuries!  Even Einstein died more than half a century ago.  And I do it for a reason; scientific conceptualisation has advanced massively in the ensuing years.  And to claim that Galileo "ignored" empirical evidence is ridiculous—you're obviously unaware of his unplanned observations of the church lighting fixture which led him to inventing the pendulum.  And the young Newton observing the apple falling from his grannie's tree.  Both observable phenomena, and both replicable.  That's empiricism at work.

To the average person his state is the same as the middle ages - being handed own priestcraft of doubtful validity by the local monks (newscasters) from the new Church of religion. While all at the same time violently hating supposed faith and ignorance - properties that each of these average people unwittingly have.

I feel sorry for you if you truly feel as though you're living in a similar state to that of the Middle Ages. I agree that TV news broadcasts are hardly worth viewing, but the I source my daily dose of news elsewhere.

And I can assure you that I totally reject religion and its horrific, dehumanising influences on modern societies.  And again, I have no use for "faith".  Faith is nothing more than belief without evidence.  No thanks.  And your condescending comment about most people being ignorant indicates nothing more than an over-inflated ego.

You sound like a really cynical, self-opinionated, misanthropic hypocrite to me.

« Reply #11 on: February 26, 2014, 06:05:07 PM »
The issue of whether a lot of us "have jobs" is an artificially constructed one. Likewise, so is the need for technology and science. While they are important endeavors and improve the value of living in some ways they also reduce it a thousand others by creating an artificial and unnatural environment.

We are just as likely to be destroyed by science than we are to be saved by it. It is wisdom not technology that makes the difference between salvation and death. Science has long since divorced itself from wisdom and morality and thus it should be examined with a very cautious eye. It is no more than the religion of this Age and it has shown itself as such a thousand times.

Hmm.. next time you crash your car (if you have one) and that seat belt and airbag saves your life.. then you might reconsider that idiotic statement.

ausGeoff

« Reply #12 on: February 26, 2014, 06:44:12 PM »
Hmm.. next time you crash your car (if you have one) and that seat belt and airbag saves your life.. then you might reconsider that idiotic statement.

"If you have one" being the operative phrase here.

I'm sure that for TheProgrammer to affirm the courage of his convictions, he'd reject the technology and science of a motor vehicle, and be riding a horse, and with a hand-sewn saddle.

Ergo, he also has no need to concern himself with mundane 20th century inventions such as car seat belts, or air bags (which are possibly both inventions of the science Devil).

It inevitably amuses me when I see people bad-mouthing modern science and all its alleged ills and negativity, whilst at the same time fully embracing the comfort, convenience, and safety it provides.  And I seem to recall typing "hypocrisy" somewhere else here today.  Wonder why?

« Reply #13 on: February 26, 2014, 06:51:05 PM »

I'm sure that for TheProgrammer to affirm the courage of his convictions, he'd reject the technology and science of a motor vehicle, and be riding a horse, and with a hand-sewn saddle.

Ergo, he also has no need to concern himself with mundane 20th century inventions such as car seat belts, or air bags (which are possibly both inventions of the science Devil).

It inevitably amuses me when I see people bad-mouthing modern science and all its alleged ills and negativity, whilst at the same time fully embracing the comfort, convenience, and safety it provides.  And I seem to recall typing "hypocrisy" somewhere else here today.  Wonder why?

Nice pick up - that's exactly the innuendo I intended in that statement.. spot on!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: February 26, 2014, 07:34:29 PM »
Scientist/engineers work on research and development for all sort of things. Does it make a difference to save our life?
No.  It can only extend your life for a while.  Eventually everyone will die.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2014, 08:06:49 PM »

TheProgrammer did not insult you.  Why do you feel a need to belittle everyone who does not share your exact views? 

« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2014, 08:10:12 PM »
When someone makes a ludicrous claim on a public forum, they should expect to be called on it.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2014, 09:00:55 PM »
Being called names is not the same as being called out. 

« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2014, 09:03:27 PM »
I don't think he was called a name..? 

ausGeoff

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2014, 09:10:46 PM »

TheProgrammer did not insult you.  Why do you feel a need to belittle everyone who does not share your exact views?

Is there even the faintest chance of you posting something on-topic today?  And why are you speaking on TheProgrammer's behalf may I ask?  Does your apparent vanity lead you to assume that he's incapable of defending himself against the slings and arrows of this world?  Or are you his minder maybe?

And your "belittling" comment is so funny coming from somebody such as yourself who periodically belittles every other round earther on this forum!

Also, you obviously missed the part of his comment wherein he accused the average person of being unwittingly ignorant.  Why didn't you call him out on that for belittlement?  Oh yeah... that's right... he's a flat earther!  Silly me.

At any rate, I was just making the point that for somebody as seemingly "anti-science" as TheProgrammer appears to be, I'm betting he takes advantage of the very science he decries.  It's all very well for flat earthers to denigrate science with regard to the flat earth theory, but when they unnecessarily start including any of the other sciences beyond that realm, then they're taking the debate beyond what would normally be accepted as its normal parameters.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2014, 12:19:49 AM »
It's a good question:
Can they save your life? The answer is yes and no. It's not a simple cut and dried thing because in equal terms I would say that scientists/engineers have the same capacity for taking as well as saving your life. It just depends on how people view it.

Of course, we can say that a heart attack victim can live longer with drugs. We can say a transplant can prolong a patients life.
The thing is, it's about how we adapt as time goes on and how people live in the natural world as opposed to the unnatural world of synthetics, which we live in now, which can equally cause many of the problems that science has an answer for.

All in all, I'd say that scientists/engineers equally cause as many of the problems as they do in alleviating them.
We live in a fast world in modern society. We are mere battery hens that are fed on chemicals.
Those that live in remote places and who live off the land and cure their own ills with nartural plants are in need of no scientists or engineers, except for their own ingenuity in the most basic way.

Anyone who's been saved by a doctor will be biased in their vew on this...but it's deeper seated than just any individual.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2014, 12:21:45 AM by sceptimatic »

?

Starman

« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2014, 03:56:14 AM »
It's a good question:
Can they save your life? The answer is yes and no. It's not a simple cut and dried thing because in equal terms I would say that scientists/engineers have the same capacity for taking as well as saving your life. It just depends on how people view it.

Of course, we can say that a heart attack victim can live longer with drugs. We can say a transplant can prolong a patients life.
The thing is, it's about how we adapt as time goes on and how people live in the natural world as opposed to the unnatural world of synthetics, which we live in now, which can equally cause many of the problems that science has an answer for.

All in all, I'd say that scientists/engineers equally cause as many of the problems as they do in alleviating them.
We live in a fast world in modern society. We are mere battery hens that are fed on chemicals.
Those that live in remote places and who live off the land and cure their own ills with nartural plants are in need of no scientists or engineers, except for their own ingenuity in the most basic way.

Anyone who's been saved by a doctor will be biased in their vew on this...but it's deeper seated than just any individual.

With all the chemical in the air and food the average life span is in the 80's and constantly increasing. Science have made that happen.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2014, 04:06:41 AM »
It's a good question:

With all the chemical in the air and food the average life span is in the 80's and constantly increasing. Science have made that happen.
Let me clarify something for you. We are told that the average life span is in the 80's. What evidence do you have that this is true?
Please don't say, because there's 4 old people living in your street or something like that.

?

Starman

« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2014, 04:11:07 AM »
It's a good question:

Let me clarify something for you. We are told that the average life span is in the 80's. What evidence do you have that this is true?
Please don't say, because there's 4 old people living in your street or something like that.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_countries_by_life_expectancy

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2014, 04:15:17 AM »
It's a good question:

Hooray for wiki. Solve all your problems in life. Use wiki. It looks like you're a fussy eater and only like wikibix. Do you have that with milk and sugar?

?

Starman

« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 04:26:15 AM »
It's a good question:

Hooray for wiki. Solve all your problems in life. Use wiki. It looks like you're a fussy eater and only like wikibix. Do you have that with milk and sugar?

Here is the references that is used from Wikipedia on this subject. I suspect it would not be enough for you.

"CIA - The World Factbook Life Expectancy". Cia.gov. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
 "Central Intelligence Agency Factbook Population". Cia.gov. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
  "WHO Life expectancy". WHO. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
  United Nations World Population Prospects: 2012 revision
  Das, Pamela; Samarasekera, Udani (2012). "The story of GBD 2010: a "super-human" effort". The Lancet 380 (9859): 2067–2070. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(12)62174-6.
  Wang, Haidong; Dwyer-Lindgren, Laura; Lofgren, Katherine T; Rajaratnam, Julie Knoll; Marcus, Jacob R; Levin-Rector, Alison; Levitz, Carly E; Lopez, Alan D; Murray, Christopher JL (2012). "Age-specific and sex-specific mortality in 187 countries, 1970–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010". The Lancet 380 (9859): 2071–2094. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61719-X.

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2014, 04:35:42 AM »
It's a good question:

What the fuck is wrong with you? did your mother beat you up when you were a teenager or something?

Are you so pitiful in real life you have to assert your ballsack in this forum to feel like a man?

Jesus, I have never come across such a dimwitted, moronic fuckwit as I have in you...

If we had a decent mod in here we'd not have to put up with you.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2014, 04:36:41 AM »
It's a good question:

Here is the references that is used from Wikipedia on this subject. I suspect it would not be enough for you.

"CIA - The World Factbook Life Expectancy". Cia.gov. Retrieved 2012-03-22.
 "Central Intelligence Agency Factbook Population". Cia.gov. Retrieved 2013-03-22.
  "WHO Life expectancy". WHO. Retrieved 1 June 2013.
  United Nations World Population Prospects: 2012 revision
  Das, Pamela; Samarasekera, Udani (2012). "The story of GBD 2010: a "super-human" effort". The Lancet 380 (9859): 2067–2070. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(12)62174-6.
  Wang, Haidong; Dwyer-Lindgren, Laura; Lofgren, Katherine T; Rajaratnam, Julie Knoll; Marcus, Jacob R; Levin-Rector, Alison; Levitz, Carly E; Lopez, Alan D; Murray, Christopher JL (2012). "Age-specific and sex-specific mortality in 187 countries, 1970–2010: a systematic analysis for the Global Burden of Disease Study 2010". The Lancet 380 (9859): 2071–2094. doi:10.1016/S0140-6736(12)61719-X.
I suppose it's up to each individual as to how they want to view that.

During the war when food was actually food. You know, grown naturally and not crammed full of preservatives and chemicals and what not, those people in the main tended to live long lives to this very day and many of them actually bei9ng reasonably active into their 80's and 90's or more.
Take a look around you at people born in the 60's and 70's who you see day to day. Most aren't even in their 50's and yet the majority of them are knackered.

You see people dropping like flies in their 50's and even less. We are being culled as we talk. All that's happenig is, we are guineapigs over decades to see what poisons kill us quicker or slower, because they can't have something killing people in short order or their will be an uprising, so do it by testing the water with various ages to see how the body copes before it breaks down.

Manufactured life spans by dates.  The powers that be hold the key to your lengevity by order of post code and age at any given time.
Sound crazy?
Maybe!

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #28 on: February 27, 2014, 04:38:25 AM »
It's a good question:

What the fuck is wrong with you? did your mother beat you up when you were a teenager or something?

Are you so pitiful in real life you have to assert your ballsack in this forum to feel like a man?

Jesus, I have never come across such a dimwitted, moronic fuckwit as I have in you...

Are you actually being serious? You and your little crew have spent the best part trying to hammer me into the ground with insults and yet, the very second I make a little remark about wikibix, you go into a full on tantrum. Are you kidding me or what?  ;D

glokta

« Reply #29 on: February 27, 2014, 05:23:59 AM »
It's a good question:

Are you actually being serious? You and your little crew have spent the best part trying to hammer me into the ground with insults and yet, the very second I make a little remark about wikibix, you go into a full on tantrum. Are you kidding me or what?  ;D
Simple question - do you understand the importance of citing the sources of information? As pointed out above, there is a long list of reputable sources for the information presented on that wiki article. Are you disputing something in particular? I notice on the nasa thread you take all your photos you want to use as evidence and upload them all to imageshack and refuse to reveal the source. What do you have against verifiable information?
Quote from: sceptimatic
Use your brain. There is no sun in space. You are simply duped.