Correction of errors to last post on Vulcan

• 62 Replies
Correction of errors to last post on Vulcan
« on: January 30, 2014, 02:46:23 PM »
When I said "flat earth theory must be the Mother of all conspiracies" what I meant was that round earth must be the Mother of all conspiracies, in the light of flat earth theory.
When I said Pluto is in Capricorn, to be more precise I should have said Pluto is transiting Capricorn.

ausGeoff

Re: Correction of errors to last post on Vulcan
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2014, 11:51:59 AM »

You do understand that astrology is a bogus practice, and has no place in the real world don't you?  It's nothing more than a bit of fun printed in the daily papers, and has no place on a site that's generally of a scientific nature (even if at times that science seems totally preposterous).

A few people here may confuse the legitimate science of astronomy with astrology, which can only muddy the waters further.

« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2014, 12:29:02 PM »

You do understand that astrology is a bogus practice, and has no place in the real world don't you?  It's nothing more than a bit of fun printed in the daily papers, and has no place on a site that's generally of a scientific nature (even if at times that science seems totally preposterous).

A few people here may confuse the legitimate science of astronomy with astrology, which can only muddy the waters further.
It was the famous astrologer William Lily who first published daily astrological delineations in the 1700's in the Tatler magazine, based on one's Sun Sign alone. Many astrologers of the ancient classic geocentric school are appalled by Lily's somewhat audacious distortion of his rehypothication of the Ascendant that he then combined this with our archetypal planetary associations to produce the interpretations. This gave the interpretations sufficient believability to the unsuspecting public, leaving some as believers and some as non believers or skeptics, but enough for him to make a fortune and this type of astrology still dominates as many other astrologers have since jumped on the big money bandwagon.
Yes, it is a problem that many people confuse astronomy with astrology, this is perhaps because astrology is not taught in most ordinary schools, and many astronomers shun astrology because of the newspaper tripe and moreover to their complete lack of knowledge of astrology.

« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2014, 12:35:13 PM »
Astrology can be correct but it's very time consuming and even if we can see futures from the stars it's sort of pointless as the futures cannot be changed so the knowledge we obtain from seeing futures is essentially meaningless. However If I was the type to try to see futures for say money gain I could but if I used the power of Divination for my personal benefit I would be cursed as I cannot use the Gifts I have been given for evil or else the power would consume me. Thus even though I know the power of divination I refuse to teach other people how to use it because I'm afraid that they would use the knowledge and the power for evil rather then good.

sokarul

• Extra Racist
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

ausGeoff

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2014, 05:54:01 AM »
Fake "science".

Very funny.  But bound to confuse and confound the astrologists amongst us.   ;D

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2014, 09:32:20 AM »
Astrology can be correct but it's very time consuming and even if we can see futures from the stars it's sort of pointless as the futures cannot be changed so the knowledge we obtain from seeing futures is essentially meaningless. However If I was the type to try to see futures for say money gain I could but if I used the power of Divination for my personal benefit I would be cursed as I cannot use the Gifts I have been given for evil or else the power would consume me. Thus even though I know the power of divination I refuse to teach other people how to use it because I'm afraid that they would use the knowledge and the power for evil rather then good.
Whilst I had no intentions to debate Astrology on this forum, I can see I may have stirred up a hornets nest of questions to about it, but provided no one objects to me responding, I will attempt to clarify anyone's questions. Astrology is primarily a tool for self analysis from the birth chart, as per the saying from the Egyptian Hall of Wisdom "Man know thyself". Due largely to newspaper astrology, most people regard Astrology solely as a predictive tool. Nevertheless it can also be utilised as predictive tool, but that merely indicates probable future trends. Astrology's influence impels rather than compels, since we have free will that can modify the planetary and stellar influence.
And yes, one has to be careful not to use its knowledge for malefic purposes.

« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2014, 09:36:15 AM »
Fake "science".
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">
The guy on this video needs to learn how to use and comprehend an astrological ephemeris.

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2014, 09:42:38 AM »
Fake "science".

Very funny.  But bound to confuse and confound the astrologists amongst us.   ;D
Astrologers, not "Astrologists" will not be confused, nor confounded by this shallow video and it is perhaps amusing depending upon who one is laughing at.

ausGeoff

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2014, 09:48:56 AM »

Nevertheless it can also be utilised as predictive tool, but that merely indicates probable future trends.

Oh that astrology could be used as any sort of "predictive tool"!  Or even accurately indicate "future trends".

Unfortunately, astrology can't do those things; nor can the highest of high-tech science.

Science can however develop models based on past experiences and outcomes for specific scenarios.  Using these models, we can then formulate a projection for future outcomes under the same type of scenarios.  In Australia for example, bushfire modelling has proved very successful in enabling proactive preparations for fire-prone communities.

There's absolutely no way that astrology could do the same thing.

I've also come across some people who aren't even sure of the differences between astronomy and astrology—believe it or not.  And because they sound superficially similar, astrology often rides on the back of astronomy in order to gain some sort of pseudo-scientific legitimacy.

ausGeoff

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2014, 09:56:06 AM »

Astrologers, not "Astrologists" will not be confused, nor confounded by this shallow video and it is perhaps amusing depending upon who one is laughing at.

Oh dear.  We're into semantics now?  Dictionary.com is quite happy to list "astrologist" as a noun describing one who practices astrology.  Why do you have any argument with that?  Either term is just as meaningless as the other in the real world anyway.

So how do you explain the shift in "star signs" and the fact that you now need 13 signs of the zodiac rather than twelve?

And for anybody interested, astrology is totally debunked at this site:   http://bit.ly/1k0vpOr

« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2014, 12:49:04 PM »
Fake "science".

Bill Nye Actually makes a point but I'm not sure if he knows what point he's making. The Sun is moving Southward 1 Degree Every 72 Years and 30 Degrees makes one month of difference so 2000/72 = About 28 Degrees. Since the Zodiac moved forward One Month it means that Either the Earth has changed it's direction in relation to the Sun about 28 degrees or that the Sun fell in relation to the Earth 28 degrees in relation to the background stars. If the Earth mearly "Wobbled" it would have moved both Sun and Stars equally so we know Either the Earth physically moved upwards in relation to the Sun or the Sun moved downwards in relation to the Earth. For instance this is the Zodiac. Each Act represents an Act of Creation. I'd go into more detail if anyone wants me to but you can probably guess what each act represents if you study history especially the 10 weeks of Enoch.

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2014, 04:07:23 AM »

Nevertheless it can also be utilised as predictive tool, but that merely indicates probable future trends.

Oh that astrology could be used as any sort of "predictive tool"!  Or even accurately indicate "future trends".

Unfortunately, astrology can't do those things; nor can the highest of high-tech science.

Science can however develop models based on past experiences and outcomes for specific scenarios.  Using these models, we can then formulate a projection for future outcomes under the same type of scenarios.  In Australia for example, bushfire modelling has proved very successful in enabling proactive preparations for fire-prone communities.

There's absolutely no way that astrology could do the same thing.

I've also come across some people who aren't even sure of the differences between astronomy and astrology—believe it or not.  And because they sound superficially similar, astrology often rides on the back of astronomy in order to gain some sort of pseudo-scientific legitimacy.
I could argue further with you about astrology, since you appear to be keen to debunk it, but in so doing it would take several years for me to teach you. This is perhaps not the best site to do this. I sympathise with you upon your concerns, and therefore I recommend that you study Astrology for at least 3 to 5 years, once you have done this then you may get back to me. I stand corrected upon the noun Astrologist. I have studied and practiced it over a thirty year period and I'm still a student. The short video astrological "debunk" - well I recommend you read, if you are able to (with respect) The American Ephemeris for the 21st Century 2000 to 2050 by Neil Michelson - it pinpoints the planetary positions along the ecliptic in relation to the Zodiacal Constellations with razor precision.

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2014, 04:16:06 AM »
Each Act represents an Act of Creation.

I thought we were speaking about science... :)

ausGeoff

« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2014, 08:15:22 AM »
I could argue further with you about astrology, since you appear to be keen to debunk it, but in so doing it would take several years for me to teach you.

I don't need to debunk astrology; hundreds of more erudite scholars before me have already done just that.  And did you read my link to the Skeptic's Dictionary?

I sympathise with you upon your concerns, and therefore I recommend that you study Astrology for at least 3 to 5 years, once you have done this then you may get back to me.

If I were going to spend up to five years studying, I'd choose to study a legitimate science.

I have studied and practiced it over a thirty year period and I'm still a student.

And yet a neurosurgeon only studies for 13 years.   Obviously your training is defective if you're still a student.

I recommend you read, if you are able to (with respect) The American Ephemeris for the 21st Century 2000 to 2050 by Neil Michelson

Thanks, but no thanks.  I don't have the time to waste reading more than 300 pages of pseudo-scientific gobbledygook.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2014, 08:32:35 AM »

The science of astrology has little if anything to do with the "bit of fun" printed in the papers. On that, we can agree. Many notable names in globularism have delved into astrology.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

ausGeoff

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2014, 08:37:10 AM »
Many notable names in globularism have delved into astrology.

Could you please name a few?

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2014, 08:52:39 AM »
I could argue further with you about astrology, since you appear to be keen to debunk it, but in so doing it would take several years for me to teach you.

I don't need to debunk astrology; hundreds of more erudite scholars before me have already done just that.  And did you read my link to the Skeptic's Dictionary?

I sympathise with you upon your concerns, and therefore I recommend that you study Astrology for at least 3 to 5 years, once you have done this then you may get back to me.

If I were going to spend up to five years studying, I'd choose to study a legitimate science.

I have studied and practiced it over a thirty year period and I'm still a student.

And yet a neurosurgeon only studies for 13 years.   Obviously your training is defective if you're still a student.

I recommend you read, if you are able to (with respect) The American Ephemeris for the 21st Century 2000 to 2050 by Neil Michelson

Thanks, but no thanks.  I don't have the time to waste reading more than 300 pages of pseudo-scientific gobbledygook.
Thank you for your comments, they sound frightfully Taurean and /or that of those born in the year of the Chinese Astrological Buffalo, but if they are Leonine then it might be appropriate to tickle your tummy (metaphorically speaking).

Each to their own.

How true it is the saying that the sacred esoteric knowledge is not for the profane.

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2014, 08:58:00 AM »
How true it is the saying that the sacred esoteric knowledge is not for the profane.

Might be. But this is proof in itself that it isn't science. "Sacred" and "science" are different domains.

ausGeoff

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2014, 09:05:31 AM »

I thank you for your sanctimony.

As a matter of interest, I was born at 11:55PM on September 25 in the year of the Dog.

So... You lose.  Please don't expect a cheque in the mail any time soon.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2014, 09:06:18 AM »
Many notable names in globularism have delved into astrology.

Could you please name a few?

Newton, Brahe, Copernicus, Galileo, Cassini, Kepler, Jung, Ptolemy, Bacon, and of course Pythagoras. I'm sure I'm missing scores, but that's a few pretty well-known names for you off the top of my head.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2014, 09:36:24 AM »

As a matter of interest, I was born at 11:55PM on September 25 in the year of the Dog.

Those born in the year of the Dog, love to reason. The Chinese astrologers say that if you have a friend born under the Sign of the Dog, you really have got a best friend, for the dog is a man's best friend. They do however tend to lead "a dog's life!". Justice to them is of great importance, particularly so if the Dog Sign is combined with Libra, for the two are synonymous.
What year were you born and whereabouts?

ausGeoff

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2014, 09:45:48 AM »

Newton, Brahe, Copernicus, Galileo, Cassini, Kepler, Jung, Ptolemy, Bacon, and of course Pythagoras. I'm sure I'm missing scores, but that's a few pretty well-known names for you off the top of my head.

Uh... you do know when these guys were alive don't you?  Any names of guys that have anything at all to do with contemporary science?  You know... that haven't been dead and buried for hundreds of years LOL.

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2014, 10:08:31 AM »

I had just replied to this but somehow it failed to get through so i'm rewriting it and sending it again.
The "Dog" loves to reason. The Chinese astrologers say that if one has someone born in the Year of the Dog  as a friend, then they truly have a best friend, for the dog is a man's best friend. The Dog person tends to have "a dog's life!" These attributes are particularly so for the Libran Dog, for two are synonymous.
Thank you for your birth details. What year where you born and whereabouts?

ausGeoff

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2014, 11:02:13 AM »

Thank you for your birth details. What year where you born and whereabouts?

I'm afraid I never divulge my year of birth—too many scammers out there now unfortunately.   :(

I was born in Melbourne, Australia.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2014, 11:56:30 AM »

Uh... you do know when these guys were alive don't you?  Any names of guys that have anything at all to do with contemporary science?  You know... that haven't been dead and buried for hundreds of years LOL.

Is this a form of chronological snobbery or do you have something specific they stated that you'd wish to refute with evidence? Or do you simply not subscribe because it is no longer in vogue with Scientific Orthodoxy?

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2014, 12:12:33 PM »
Is this a form of chronological snobbery or do you have something specific they stated that you'd wish to refute with evidence? Or do you simply not subscribe because it is no longer in vogue with Scientific Orthodoxy?

They had to make a living with something that provided it back then. We value their contribution to science not because they were somehow related to astrology but in spite of it.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2014, 12:30:17 PM »
That stunning statement belies the fact that they were pursuing these subjects of their own volition and interest in many or most cases. Newton and Jung in particular pursued the subject scientifically and not as a form of fundraising. Not all were court whores like the murderous Kepler.

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2014, 12:38:30 PM »
That stunning statement belies the fact that they were pursuing these subjects of their own volition and interest in many or most cases. Newton and Jung in particular pursued the subject scientifically and not as a form of fundraising. Not all were court whores like the murderous Kepler.
All the evidence available today shows that the earth is a sphere.