Supernova spotted in M82

• 9 Replies
Supernova spotted in M82
« on: January 23, 2014, 11:57:05 PM »
http://www.universetoday.com/108386/bright-new-supernova-blows-up-in-nearby-m82-the-cigar-galaxy/

Anyone take a look yet?  I finally got some clear skies tonight to test out my new spotting scope.  It's a 20-60x80, and not an expensive one at that, but I could still just barely see it.  I'll try the telescope tomorrow if it's still clear.  I'm in the middle of converting to 1.25" eyepieces and it also needs some collimating, but I'll give it a shot.

dephelis

• Sine scientia ars nihil est.
Re: Supernova spotted in M82
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2014, 12:01:56 AM »
http://www.universetoday.com/108386/bright-new-supernova-blows-up-in-nearby-m82-the-cigar-galaxy/

Anyone take a look yet?  I finally got some clear skies tonight to test out my new spotting scope.  It's a 20-60x80, and not an expensive one at that, but I could still just barely see it.  I'll try the telescope tomorrow if it's still clear.  I'm in the middle of converting to 1.25" eyepieces and it also needs some collimating, but I'll give it a shot.

It's quite striking with just a 5" Mak, even from Central London!

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2014, 08:23:51 AM »
Expected to reach magnitude 8 (visible with binoculars), currently at 11..  That will be a good test for my Nikon 10-22x50 binos. 

I wonder how Sceptimatic explains it. 

dephelis

« Reply #3 on: January 24, 2014, 08:30:39 AM »
Expected to reach magnitude 8 (visible with binoculars), currently at 11..  That will be a good test for my Nikon 10-22x50 binos. 

Looked like mag 9 last night.

Reflection of him testing out a new spotlight I should imagine.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 09:56:19 AM »

Maybe a hole in The Great Ice Dome thawed out letting light from The Great Beyond to be seen.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 10:00:53 AM »
"mag 9"

Yeah, that would be more realistic I guess since I was able to see it with only a spotting scope.  I am glad now I spent the extra money for the 80mm lens vs 60mm anyways. 

dephelis

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 10:37:32 AM »
"mag 9"

Yeah, that would be more realistic I guess since I was able to see it with only a spotting scope.  I am glad now I spent the extra money for the 80mm lens vs 60mm anyways.

Well, depends on your sky conditions too. I wouldn't like to try for it here with anything smaller than 100mm.

ausGeoff

« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 01:01:26 PM »
You guys!!!  Tsk.....

Doncha know the sunóas we describe itódoesn't really exist?

It's merely a magnified reflection of a heavenly 1,000W spotlight reflected off the inside of a mirrored dome.  It's not a two nonillion kilogram ball of gasses undergoing constant thermonuclear reactions.  The images you're seeing in your telescopes (which are all built by the Illuminati in a secret factory inside the planet) are a combination of lens flare, plus tiny engravings etched on one of the lens elements (that are too small to see even with a microscope).

I thought anybody'd know that.

« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 08:19:18 PM »
I seen it yesterday, didn't know what it was though but I seen several stars fall out of heaven.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #9 on: January 25, 2014, 12:44:09 AM »
Interesting. I might have to beg, borrow or steal a spotters scope or visit the cabin where our telescope is.

I'm moving this as I'm not sure what relevance it has to FET.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."