Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham

• 128 Replies

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham
« on: January 16, 2014, 11:29:44 AM »
Apparently Bill Nye has agreed to debate Ken Ham, for some reason... also tickets to the debate were sold immediately, making people think they (Ken Ham's side) didn't want any atheists to show up, or be able to record the debate so that they could declare victory or some shit, IDK.

Anyway I think it's stupid for someone like Bill Nye to agree to this. Not that atheists and the religious shouldn't have a debate, but it really should be somewhere neutral. This is going to take place at Ken Ham's Creation Museum. I guess it doesn't really matter. 

http://www.answersingenesis.org/articles/2014/01/02/bill-nye-ken-ham-debate

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham & A Lesson From History

I saw this video on Aron Ra's blog and I thought people here might like it. Obviously MrTweej is a conspiracy agent  >:(
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
Re: Bill Nye vs. Ken Ham
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2014, 12:11:28 PM »
Debates are a terrible format for scientific information where you are expected to back up claims.   While looking into the anti-vaccination movement I found an article talking about how the anti-vaxxers want nothing more than a public debate and that the scientific and medical communities would be doing a disservice to everyone by indulging them.  Not only does it lens false credence to their theories but those type of people are typically polished debaters and able to twist arguments, make up convincing facts which cannot be disproven without time to research it,  and are able to make the most ridiculous theories sounds convincing.  The typical scientist is not as well versed in open forum debates and will most likely lose out to the other side's charisma. 

Tl; dr this is a terrible idea for Bill Nye.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2014, 12:59:39 PM »
Yeah, I think this will do more good for Ken Ham than anyone else. He'll be able to frame it however he likes... but Bill Nye is a smart guy and has a lot of experience speaking to the public so he'll probably do alright. It's probably easier for him to remember all the evolution facts than it would be for someone to remember all the medical vaccine facts.

ALSO WATCH THE VIDEO (if you haven't already)  >:(
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

DuckDodgers

« Reply #3 on: January 16, 2014, 01:15:25 PM »
I watched the video and while I agree with him about this, he is severely mistaken regarding the flat earth society.  I'm a bit curious why he would choose us as an example over other notable counter theories.

Marcus Aurelius

• My Alts: Tom Bishop, Gayer, theonlydann
« Reply #4 on: January 19, 2014, 02:24:01 PM »
Yeah, I doubt this debate will be on equal ground.  Aron mentioned he was going to be there to video the whole thing.  That is if he is even allowed to be there.  Bill Nye would be smart to get some coaching from somebody experienced in these kinds of debates.

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2014, 09:53:42 AM »
Does anybody else see the parallel here with Wallace vs Hampden? Can't wait to sit down and watch this.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2014, 10:21:11 AM »
Yeah, I can see how they are similar. Hopefully Ken Ham won't go on to harass Bill Nye and his family!

DuckDodgers

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2014, 10:33:25 AM »
Except Wallace v Hampden didn't involve a public debate, just a simple experiment.  Nye is going to get hammered by unscientific babble and made to look a fool.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 12:05:02 PM »
You can watch the debate live here #ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Bill Nye Debates Ken Ham - HD tonight at 7pm ET. 

I doubt I'll watch it live, but I might check it out tomorrow if they put the whole thing up.

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Bill Nye Explains Why He's Debating Ken Ham

I didn't know Bill Nye had given an interview explaining why he wants to debate.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2014, 12:09:25 PM by Space Cowgirl »

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 07:09:45 PM »
Man Ham is good at dodging
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2014, 07:03:53 AM »
http://www.buzzfeed.com/mjs538/messages-from-creationists-to-people-who-believe-in-evolutio

If we came from monkeys then why are there still monkeys? lol

DuckDodgers

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2014, 07:26:29 AM »
My favorite was #4 and his smug look for bringing up a law about a closed system when talking about an open one.

Ichimaru Gin :]

• Undefeated FEer
  • Planar Moderator
  • Semper vigilans
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 07:19:35 PM »
#5...Oh my Lord...
I saw a slight haze in the hotel bathroom this morning after I took a shower, have I discovered a new planet?

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 08:04:23 PM »
Debate is now on youtube if anyone cares to watch it.

" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

« Reply #14 on: February 09, 2014, 11:46:36 PM »
Man I get a boner for Bill Nye. Could listen to that man talk all day.

Ken Ham's whole argument is that modern science makes assumptions about the past rather than only using what is observable as evidence. And then goes on to use God, the most unobservable concept there is, as his evidence. :facepalm:
you can't spell planet without plane. or net... 8)

« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2014, 09:56:46 PM »
Man I get a boner for Bill Nye. Could listen to that man talk all day.

Ken Ham's whole argument is that modern science makes assumptions about the past rather than only using what is observable as evidence. And then goes on to use God, the most unobservable concept there is, as his evidence. :facepalm:

Basically the debate is basically of two different World views that boils down to a few base assumptions.

Ken Ham vs Bill Nye
<6000 Years vs 13.7 Billion Years
Very Rapid Climate Change vs Very Slow Climate Change
Created Design vs Random Explosion and Assortments of Energy
4146 Years of Very Rapid Evolution vs 4.5 Billion years of very slow evolution
Very Rapid Stellar Change vs Very Slow Stellar Change.
Continual Atrophy vs Continual Entropy.

And that's basically it in a nutshell. I enjoyed hearing both their viewpoints but neither of them were breaking new ground but both gave excellent presentations showing the fundamental basics of both models. I'm more in the creation camp myself as I believe in likely hood extremely rapid evolution is far more likely then slow evolution and I don't think evolution has fundamental biologic self assembly compatibility nor DNA creation algorithms. I can smash rocks together forever but rocks by themselves will never develop sentience unless an external force gives them the desire to and for that to happen something would already have to have sentience.   

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #16 on: February 11, 2014, 05:27:57 AM »
I can smash rocks together forever but rocks by themselves will never develop sentience unless an external force gives them the desire to and for that to happen something would already have to have sentience.   

At this moment, a brave, patriotic, pro-life Navy SEAL champion who had served 1500 tours of duty and understood the necessity of war and fully supported all military decisions made by the United States stood up and held up a rock.

"How old is this rock, pinhead?"

The arrogant professor smirked quite Jewishly and smugly replied "4.6 billion years, you stupid Christian."

"Wrong. It's been 5,000 years since God created it. If it was 4.6 billion years old and evolution, as you say, is real, then it should be an animal now."

« Reply #17 on: February 11, 2014, 04:51:52 PM »
But rocks don't turn into animals. We don't have an explanation for how life first arose. What we do have is a theory backed by a wealth of evidence that organisms' characteristics/features change over the course of generations according to a survival of the fittest model. Evolution is not a theory of how life began.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 05:03:20 PM »
Bill Nye is going to debate Marsha Blackburn on climate change. She's a republican congresswoman from Tennessee, a climate change denier, and a birther. She's on the House Energy and Commerce Committee, so I guess it could be good to point out her stupidity.

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 05:51:28 PM »
Bill Nye is going to debate Marsha Blackburn on climate change. She's a republican congresswoman from Tennessee, a climate change denier, and a birther. She's on the House Energy and Commerce Committee, so I guess it could be good to point out her stupidity.

I'l probably watch that as well. I'm not really sure why people are stuck up on not believing in global warming.

DuckDodgers

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 06:17:34 PM »
I'm embarrassed that she is the Rep for my part of TN.  She has done nothing but piss me off.  I hope he destroys her.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 06:29:28 PM »
I'd watch that.  Sounds very entertaining. 

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 10:04:53 PM »
Bill Nye is on the rampage, debating every ignorant position he can find!

« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 10:28:05 PM »
Bill Nye is on the rampage, debating every ignorant position he can find!

The point of a debate is not to win, it's simply to express your ideas so that people can make up their own minds on what they want to believe in. I personally believe humans are responsible for some climate change but the United States is only a very small percentage of World wide carbon emissions so even if we stopped burning it entirely China and other developing countries would make up the difference in a small amount of years the way things are going. The problem with CO2 primarily is that it depletes the ozone layer much worse then any other chemical element we commonly produce. So like it or not but we only have about 20-30 years before CO2 emissions start causing serious problems. This issue won't go away and it might even be the cause of WW3. 

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2014, 11:18:38 AM »
http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/02/28/ken-ham-debating-evolution-with-bill-nye-raised-money-needed-to-build-noahs-ark/

Ken Ham: Debating evolution with Bill Nye raised money needed to build Noah’s Ark
By Travis Gettys

Creationist Ken Ham says his highly publicized debate earlier this month with TV “Science Guy” Bill Nye had helped his organization raise enough money to begin construction of a 510-foot Noah’s Ark attraction.

The Creation Museum founder said Thursday that a $62 million municipal bond offering had raised enough to start construction of the Ark Encounter project, which is expected to cost about $73 million.

“It did help,” Ham said of the Feb. 4 debate. “We obviously had a big spurt toward the end, and I think it was people who were involved in this, who really decided they were going to do something.”

Groundbreaking was set for May, and the religious theme park is expected to be completed by summer 2016.

I'm less bothered by Bill Nye helping get the Ark park built than I am about the municipal bond.

DuckDodgers

« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2014, 12:24:19 PM »
It'll be tax revenue for the city, they'd be stupid not to. 

« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2014, 03:54:12 PM »

I'l probably watch that as well. I'm not really sure why people are stuck up on not believing in global warming.

Global Warming or Climate Change?  Different things..

Believing in or not believing in? is it a faith now?

You may call them deniers (a highly offensive nazi reference), maybe ill call you a RE denier.

Name one person that 'denies' that the climate changes.. I can't think of any.... but that is NOT the argument..

So I better spell it out for you...

1. All Climate models have failed to accurately predict the warming, they have all over estimed it my significant amounts.
2. The global temp has not risen in 17 years now. Yet Co2 has continued to rise.
3. There's no tell tale hotspots
4. The oceans are stable
5 Although there has been a small decline in the Artic, there's been a huge in crease in ice in the Antartic
6. Ice core data shows us temperatures rise BEFORE Co2 and that CO2 lags by about 800 years...
7. Seal level rises are exactly where they should be.. about 2mm per year..
8. and countless others....

There is no actual observable evidence to support most of the alramist claims made.

That said, we DO know that Co2 is a greenhouse gas.
We Do know that it does contribute (or should) to warming - but we DON"T know how much.. its looking like very little at the moment.. there is SOMETHING else causing the warming that we have seen over the last 30 years.

We Don't know what impact that will have on us yet.. but ALL evidence points to it being positive.. Crops are yielding more, for instance..

There has been no increase in Severe weather events.. go check for yourself.  The data is all there.

More people die in the winter (old people especially) that in the summer.. so warmer is better there too.

Whilst we are focusing on abating CO2, we're ignoring real pollution..

Co2 abatement programs are hurting some people.. look up food crisis's and ethanol supply.. 

Alternative energy sources are stupidly expensive and hopeless.  Except for nuclear - which if it wasn't for our rabid left wingers here we've have in Australia.

Then the argument of - should we simply adjust to climate change, rather than spend massive amounts of money abating it?  we are already seeing the negative effects of this all over the world..

I've simplified the argument as much as I can, but it is MUCH more complex that this.. do boil that down to 'denier' is simple minded, dumb, blinked and frankly below even a flat earther.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2014, 04:01:58 PM »
lol, a climate change denier!

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2014, 04:11:13 PM »
There you go.. the intellect of a 3 year old.

Can you point me to where I denied Climate change please?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2014, 04:18:01 PM »
I can't believe a climate change denier scoffs at Flat Earthers. All your arguments have been debunked by scientists.