Flat Earth Society Memes (No Globularist Memes)

• 714 Replies

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
Flat Earth Society Memes (No Globularist Memes)
« on: January 06, 2014, 09:30:13 AM »
To Be Updated Regularly.

« Last Edit: November 07, 2019, 01:31:14 PM by John Davis »

ausGeoff

Re: Flat Earth Society Memes
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2014, 01:32:04 PM »
I'm not sure it would be wise to draw attention to George Orwell with a meme for the FES.

Orwell also said (in that same “As I Please” column) How Do You Know the Earth is Round?:

As for the Flat Earth theory, I believe I could refute it.  If you stand by the seashore on a clear day, you can see the masts and funnels of invisible ships passing along the horizons.  This phenomenon can only be explained by assuming that the earth’s surface is curved.

He was actually saying that one didn't need to be an astronomer to ascertain that the world was spherical:  It was obvious to any layman.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2014, 06:21:07 PM »
For those interested in full disclosure, here is a link to the full text of that Orwell article:
http://www.telelib.com/authors/O/OrwellGeorge/essay/tribune/AsIPlease19461227.html
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2014, 05:46:12 AM »
I'm not sure it would be wise to draw attention to George Orwell with a meme for the FES.

Orwell also said (in that same “As I Please” column) How Do You Know the Earth is Round?:

As for the Flat Earth theory, I believe I could refute it.  If you stand by the seashore on a clear day, you can see the masts and funnels of invisible ships passing along the horizons.  This phenomenon can only be explained by assuming that the earth’s surface is curved.

He was actually saying that one didn't need to be an astronomer to ascertain that the world was spherical:  It was obvious to any layman.
Yes, one does not need to be an astronomer to ascertain the worlds shape, flat or round. That was the point of the meme. Is that lost? I figured it would come up with the context of the set.

Perhaps you are right though. His proof, however, is as silly as most others. Such things are clearly outside his skillset.

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2014, 09:10:30 AM »
Perhaps you are right though. His proof, however, is as silly as most others. Such things are clearly outside his skillset[sic].

Really? And what is your skill-set? How are you more qualified than Orwell to assert your observations as truth?

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2014, 12:01:28 PM »
He doesn't assert observations as truth, but instead his explanation of observation as truth. I wouldn't say either of us (or any of us) are particularly qualified to make such assertions to "truth". However his is an example of tunnel vision. The sinking ship phenomena has been modeled in several coherent ways. EA, Relativistic FET, Parallaxian Perspective, and relative wave sizes all come to mind.

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 04:03:51 PM »

John Davis would say this is all nonsense. What ever happened to him? I hope he returns.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2014, 06:13:53 AM »
Some valentines for ya!

dephelis

• Sine scientia ars nihil est.
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2014, 08:00:15 AM »
Some valentines for ya!

"I'd go globular for you" - No one receiving that one would believe it. ;)

« Reply #9 on: February 16, 2014, 05:15:49 PM »
i hope John Davis returns, now that Willmore has forsaken us.  :'(

?

General Patton

• Undefeated round earther
« Reply #10 on: September 01, 2014, 07:53:37 PM »
They should also put in there that Stephen Hawking and Aristotle believed that the Earth was round.
It is so fun educating FE'rs who don't know anything.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #11 on: September 07, 2014, 06:55:49 AM »
"..and the weather patterns on the moon"
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 11:47:45 PM »
To Be Updated Regularly.

All died. Except Thomas Dolby and people in the China.

« Reply #13 on: December 29, 2014, 09:40:34 PM »

As for the Flat Earth theory, I believe I could refute it.  If you stand by the seashore on a clear day, you can see the masts and funnels of invisible ships passing along the horizons.  This phenomenon can only be explainedy by assuming that the earth’s surface is curved.

Actually it's the way your brain preserves shadows & interprets colours that gives the appearance of a ships hull disappearing over the horizon. There is no curvature only your brain perception misinterpreting. If you would like a demonstration I will try & find you one on YouTube if you like . National  geographic produced a hour programme call test your brain . With excellent demonstrated examples on the subject . Not just theory.
When it comes to Jane's standards .I'm lower then an old stove she has in her garage.
Shannon Noll and Natalie Bassingthwaighte - Don't…:

ausGeoff

« Reply #14 on: December 30, 2014, 12:48:57 AM »
There is no curvature only your brain perception misinterpreting. If you would like a demonstration I will try & find you one on YouTube if you like. National  geographic produced a hour programme call test your brain. With excellent demonstrated examples on the subject. Not just theory.

Thanks Charles.  I'd appreciate it.

gotham

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #15 on: February 02, 2015, 06:20:15 PM »
Some valentines for ya!

A reminder that Valentine's Day is less than 2 weeks away (remember mailing time?).

A Big Thank You goes out to J Davis for making these available. For young and old and in-between.  For home, school or work...your card shopping is done.

« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2015, 10:17:33 AM »
To Be Updated Regularly.

You do understand that this bit from Wilfred is *satirizing* people who believe that the Earth is Flat. Even most young schoolchildren know that there is no gravity in space, no up or down, so nothing would be pulling people in the Southern Hemisphere down off of the planet. But the joke is that Wilred is kinda dumb.

?

ergovivo

« Reply #17 on: December 28, 2015, 01:34:14 PM »
Copernicus and Descartes are talking about whether the sun or earth is the centre of the solar system, not the shape of the earth; everyone knew the earth was round back then.

George Orwell is another case of you quoting badly, here is the full text again http://alexpeak.com/twr/hdykteir/ . I have evidence
the earth is round in my sig to answer Orwell's question.

Goethe was talking about Newton's theory on light, not gravity. Another bad quote, http://www.sciartinamerica.com/blog/art-versus-science-color-theory-war-between-goethe-and-newton http://www.openculture.com/2013/09/goethes-theory-of-colors-and-kandinsky.html

You have got to be joking with the Wilfrid one, but some people here have said the same thing.

Four of them are misleading quotes, wouldn't be uprised if more were. Are you deliberately trying to mislead people? You really should remove the Goethe one, WTF has colour theory got to do with anything here!
« Last Edit: December 28, 2015, 01:37:17 PM by ergovivo »

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2016, 04:23:53 PM »
What is the context of the Descartes quote, because I bet it has nothing to do with the earths shape.

« Reply #19 on: February 19, 2016, 10:46:03 AM »
Check out my sig!

To fall into the belief of a flat Earth is to deny YOUR OWN cognizance.

« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2016, 01:53:25 PM »
What is the context of the Descartes quote, because I bet it has nothing to do with the earths shape.
I have tried to find where the quote comes from, I can't find its source, but it was likely referring to their different positions on metaphysics.

« Reply #21 on: February 29, 2016, 12:41:22 PM »
In lieu of a suicide note, I'm just gonna print these out and leave them around the room.

« Reply #22 on: February 29, 2016, 12:56:04 PM »
In lieu of a suicide note, I'm just gonna print these out and leave them around the room.

HAHA! This is truly hilarious

To fall into the belief of a flat Earth is to deny YOUR OWN cognizance.

Provokethetruth

• The Earth is flat, therefore God is real.
« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2016, 07:49:20 PM »
PTT

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2016, 06:46:19 AM »
Nice work with those memes :) George Orwell was one of the most intelligent and logical thinking people ever (in my opinion). Here is what I think about his quote: I think that he wanted to point out, that first-hand evidence and first-hand knowledge is what counts. Therefore and because I believe in pragmatical thinking, I like his quote best.

« Reply #25 on: June 22, 2016, 11:38:38 AM »

Provokethetruth

• The Earth is flat, therefore God is real.
« Reply #26 on: June 22, 2016, 03:16:17 PM »
PTT

« Reply #27 on: July 19, 2016, 02:17:17 PM »

« Reply #28 on: July 21, 2016, 08:16:27 PM »
 I have just heard of this FE society from a mate who beleives the world is flat. So I thought I would put a question to him. His answer amazed me. I asked him Fe beleives that Australia is 8046.72 kilometers wide Re beleive Australia is 4042 kilomteres wide. Now considering I have drivin this and gone via south Australia the distance I covered was 5067. U know what his answer was I dont know Darren. I got my answer right there. You guys have tried so many experiments to prove a FE and not  one can prove the earth is flat. Please show me photographic evidence and dont say no u show me. You are the doubters not I. All u have for evidence is a hand drawn map really.😂

« Reply #29 on: August 03, 2016, 11:23:03 PM »
Why did you include Jackson at all?? You didn't even include an out of context quote you could exploit.