Compass heading

• 35 Replies
Compass heading
« on: November 01, 2013, 09:00:55 AM »
Alright, so up here at the Northern Hemisphere the compass points to the north. Crossing the equator it points to southpole. This is problematic, since there is no southpole on a flat earth.

Can you FE defenders accept the earth has to be a sphere now? If not, explain how this would work then on a flat earth...

Junker

Re: Compass heading
« Reply #1 on: November 01, 2013, 09:08:45 AM »
Moving to FEG since the only question in the OP was not related to FET.

« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2013, 09:16:02 AM »
The compass still points to the North if you are in the Southern hem.  The South Pole is on the outer edge on a Flat Earth map.  It doesn't change anything.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #3 on: November 01, 2013, 09:20:05 AM »
Alright, so up here at the Northern Hemisphere the compass points to the north. Crossing the equator it points to southpole. This is problematic, since there is no southpole on a flat earth.

Can you FE defenders accept the earth has to be a sphere now? If not, explain how this would work then on a flat earth...
What is this proving?

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2013, 09:41:21 AM »

What is this proving?

Navigation around the globe.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #5 on: November 01, 2013, 10:40:13 AM »

Please read through the FAQ and wiki to avoid further embarrassment. A FE most definitely has a south pole.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2013, 12:37:32 PM »

Please read through the FAQ and wiki to avoid further embarrassment. A FE most definitely has a south pole.
Well, that depends on which FE model you're talking about and how you define "south pole".
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2013, 04:52:30 PM »

I do not feel embarrased, so you don't have to worry. You agree a magnet has two sides? Right...so whenever I take out my compass on a flat earth, with a south pole...it looks like this..
http://postimg.org/image/dvdne8k0t/

The compass needle that should point to the southpole is all over the place!It points to the southpole, I can agree...yes it does, but one time that soutpole is to the East of me, at another place it is north of me, yet another time it is North-West of me.

I never experienced that on the earth I am living on....guess the earth isn't flat after after all.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2013, 06:11:30 PM »
You clearly do not understand FET. Please read the FAQ.

This is what it looks like, with red pointing towards North and black pointing South.

South points outwards towards the rim. Not some random spot.

« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2013, 06:23:44 PM »
You clearly do not understand FET. Please read the FAQ.

This is what it looks like, with red pointing towards North and black pointing South.

South points outwards towards the rim. Not some random spot.

You agree magnets have two poles, right? I can see the northpole on the flat earth, but then...where is the south pole?

« Reply #10 on: November 01, 2013, 06:58:44 PM »
For RE's I think magnetism might be a very strong point. It's been said that without the inner molten core, and sun, that earth would just be a peice of rock floating in space with no gravity at all. whereas from FE, not sure, maybe there is just a huge magnet at center of disk that is causing your compass to point to it...

?

EvilJeffy

• I shouldn't waste time here, I have science to do.
« Reply #11 on: November 01, 2013, 07:06:44 PM »
In all reality a compass does not point directly towards the "North Pole"  It points in the general direction of the magnetic north pole which is currently in the Arctic Ocean off North and West of Ellesmere Island.

Now the problem comes up with this, on you flat Earth try to make a way to have the compass point towards the actual magnetic North Pole and Magnetic South Pole (also not on the rim, or at the South Pole) that corresponds with the adjustment between actual north and magnetic north that we currently have to do while navigating.
Sometimes on this forum I feel like I am kicking puppies, but I have good boots.  Just in case your curious I also have more science training than you do.

?

EvilJeffy

« Reply #12 on: November 01, 2013, 07:24:21 PM »
More to the point, the Magnetic South Pole is currently just off the coast of Antarctica south of Australia.  If you were standing in Antarctica 500 miles south of there North would point towards the (Geographic South Pole, Rim) and South would point back towards Australia....

How does that correspond to a flat earth?

Also what about people who have crossed Antarctica, from one side to the other?  Wouldn't they run into the rim?
Sometimes on this forum I feel like I am kicking puppies, but I have good boots.  Just in case your curious I also have more science training than you do.

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #13 on: November 01, 2013, 08:38:58 PM »
So the sun's orbit is not perfectly centered around the magnetic north pole.  Big deal.  This does not prove a round or flat Earth.

Also, scientists have never been to the center of the Earth to take samples.  They just assume that it is an iron core and you automatically believe it to be true.  This happens a lot with RE'ers.

?

EvilJeffy

« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2013, 08:54:29 PM »
Dear God....

What does the sun going around have to do with the direction the arrow points?

Take a picture of your flat Earth....

Draw a dot on the edge of Antarctica straight south of Australia.

Draw a stick figure just southward of that dot.  If that stick figure is holding a compass and takes a heading pointing straight from the compass towards the north pole it will say he is facing south because he is pointing straight at the south pole.

Now grab an orange.

Draw antarctica on the orange along with Australia. 

Figure out where the dot for the south pole is, and the dot for the magnetic north pole is.

Run a skewer through the orange straight from pole to pole. 

Draw a stick figure on Antarctica just south of the magnetic south pole.

Look at what his compass reading  would say, it would say that south is to his north, and north is to his south....  But if you look at where he is on the orange compared to the poles, from where he is the south magnetic pole is to the north of him, and the North Magnetic pole is wrapping around the orange and up the back side to the South of him...

Eat the orange, it is good for you.

?

11cookeaw1

« Reply #15 on: November 02, 2013, 01:57:31 AM »
So the sun's orbit is not perfectly centered around the magnetic north pole.  Big deal.  This does not prove a round or flat Earth.

Also, scientists have never been to the center of the Earth to take samples.  They just assume that it is an iron core and you automatically believe it to be true.  This happens a lot with RE'ers.

They worked out the composition from seismic waves.

« Reply #16 on: November 02, 2013, 03:16:18 AM »
For RE's I think magnetism might be a very strong point. It's been said that without the inner molten core, and sun, that earth would just be a peice of rock floating in space with no gravity at all. whereas from FE, not sure, maybe there is just a huge magnet at center of disk that is causing your compass to point to it...

There would be gravity, but what wouldn't be there is the magnetic field. The magnetic field that protects us from the solar winds. But yes, magnetism is a very strong point. If there would be a southpole, it would need to be at a certain location on the flat disc. As I have shown, this becomes quite problematic.

The only possible explanation which does not run in these kind of contradictions is that the earth is a sphere.

« Reply #17 on: November 02, 2013, 03:23:41 PM »

Is this any different than never seeing an ice rim or wall around the earth but believing it's there?

And I realize not all fe'ers believe in the ice wall. All that does is add more evidence to why this idea is so silly.
You did not ask me for logic.  You asked for my opinion. - Jroa

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #18 on: November 02, 2013, 10:04:04 PM »
Draw a stick figure just southward of that dot. 

Your comment falls apart here. If you are past the edge of the Earth you are in space and the Earth has sped past you. Your compass will point towards nothing because there is nothing to point to.

You agree magnets have two poles, right? I can see the northpole on the flat earth, but then...where is the south pole?

They have poles, but that doesn't mean they must be linear. Here is a visualization. Take a bunch of magnets, cut them into slivers, fashion them into a circle. Suddenly you have a magnet with one pole as the center and the other as the rim.

You may say, "But that sort of configuration will clearly just break apart and repel itself!"

Not true, if the material is bound stronger than the repulsive forces, it will hold together. This is the reason why bar magnets don't spontaneously split lengthwise all the time.
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 10:22:40 PM by EnglshGentleman »

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: November 02, 2013, 10:46:42 PM »

Is this any different than never seeing an ice rim or wall around the earth but believing it's there?

And I realize not all fe'ers believe in the ice wall. All that does is add more evidence to why this idea is so silly.

You are a blind sheep and believe anything that scientists tell you. You don't perform any of your own experiments, but you are quick to post what NASA has told you has been performed. 

?

EvilJeffy

« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2013, 12:02:56 AM »
The magnetic south pole is NORTH of Antarctica, perhaps you missed that point, you can go south of there and be in Antarctica, your ability to miss the point does not make you correct.

?

11cookeaw1

« Reply #21 on: November 03, 2013, 12:36:40 AM »

You are a blind sheep and believe anything that scientists tell you. You don't perform any of your own experiments, but you are quick to post what NASA has told you has been performed.
So when you can't win an argument you respond with insults.

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #22 on: November 03, 2013, 02:03:47 AM »

So when you can't win an argument you respond with insults.

11cookeaw1, you don't understand all of your warnings.  You can now take a few days off.  Please come back sober and understanding what a low content post is. 

« Reply #23 on: November 03, 2013, 03:51:28 AM »

They have poles, but that doesn't mean they must be linear. Here is a visualization. Take a bunch of magnets, cut them into slivers, fashion them into a circle. Suddenly you have a magnet with one pole as the center and the other as the rim.

You may say, "But that sort of configuration will clearly just break apart and repel itself!"

Not true, if the material is bound stronger than the repulsive forces, it will hold together. This is the reason why bar magnets don't spontaneously split lengthwise all the time.

I admire your creativity, but that is not the earth which I live on. The magnetic northpole on the earth I live on is located in the north of Canada and the magnetic south pole is somewhere near the edge of Antartica. http://www.cyberphysics.co.uk/topics/magnetsm/meridians.gif

So there has to be two places on your flat disc which is the magnetic south pole and the magnetic north pole. I still do not see that in your model.

« Reply #24 on: November 03, 2013, 05:35:23 AM »

Again........how is this different from FE'ers who don't do their own experiments, reject most science even though they have never bothered to even try to learn it? They just reject it on principle alone. They don't do experiments and instead trust the words and experiments of a man that lived over 150 years ago and wrote a book about the earth being flat. And they do that, obviously, blindly.

What is the difference?
You did not ask me for logic.  You asked for my opinion. - Jroa

?

EvilJeffy

« Reply #25 on: November 03, 2013, 05:43:05 AM »

Again........how is this different from FE'ers who don't do their own experiments, reject most science even though they have never bothered to even try to learn it? They just reject it on principle alone. They don't do experiments and instead trust the words and experiments of a man that lived over 150 years ago and wrote a book about the earth being flat. And they do that, obviously, blindly.

What is the difference?

Well now they also have the ability to block people from which they disagree from the forum....

« Reply #26 on: November 08, 2013, 08:19:18 AM »
This issue hasn't been addressed yet. Where is the southpole on a flat earth?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #27 on: November 08, 2013, 08:25:34 AM »
There isn't one.

« Reply #28 on: November 08, 2013, 08:36:23 AM »
There isn't one.

This is quite problematic, since the compass points to either the north or the south. Watch this video

#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Magnetic Fields

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #29 on: November 08, 2013, 09:02:27 AM »
The south pole is beneath the north pole.  Stand a magnet up and move a compass around the north pole.