Making a laser experiment to find out once for all.

• 92 Replies
Making a laser experiment to find out once for all.
« on: October 30, 2013, 04:26:24 AM »
Let's say one of my friends in California will have a very powerful laser directed toward Cairo Egypt with a very low azimuth, if I use another laser perpendicular to earth in Cairo and they both intersect on low altitude then the earth is flat, if not (or they meet on a very high altitude) then the earth is not flat. Why don't FE people try that?
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 04:59:41 AM by mnofal »

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
Re: Making a laser experiment to find out once for all.
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2013, 05:38:59 AM »
Because you need two very powerful lasers and a way of detecting their intersection.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2013, 05:53:45 AM »
We do NOT need 2 powerful lasers, we need only one very powerful + one regular laser + one laser rangefinder I guess.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #3 on: October 30, 2013, 06:00:42 AM »
My point still stands. You are asking for a cash outlay probably in the $100,000s I imagine?  This is a community, not a charity or not-for-profit.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2013, 06:17:04 AM »
100,000 $? Why? Even if it costs that much, think about the return on the investment, the impact!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2013, 08:12:11 AM »
I can think of two blindingly obvious reasons this experiment could not work.  First of all, even if the earth were flat, there is very likely no direct line of sight from California to Egypt with no mountains or other terrain in the way.  Secondly, I don't see how a laser beam could possibly travel several thousand miles through dense atmosphere without serious dispersion issues.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2013, 08:48:03 AM »
I proposed a laser-plumb bob experiment that needed to cover only ten miles.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.

« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2013, 03:19:04 PM »
Also, Daniel, of FES fame, shown a laser down the Bedford canal. Search for results. SPOILET ALERT: not an FES win

« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2013, 03:20:14 PM »
Let's say one of my friends in California will have a very powerful laser directed toward Cairo Egypt with a very low azimuth, if I use another laser perpendicular to earth in Cairo and they both intersect on low altitude then the earth is flat, if not (or they meet on a very high altitude) then the earth is not flat. Why don't FE people try that?

Because they aren't friends with your friend.

« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2013, 03:29:51 PM »
Also, Daniel, of FES fame, shown a laser down the Bedford canal. Search for results. SPOILET ALERT: not an FES win

how do I find it?

Junker

« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2013, 03:31:29 PM »

Please keep low-content posts out of the upper fora.

« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2013, 03:56:14 PM »

Just use your mod powers to ban already. It's more annoying reading your low-content warnings than anyone else's posts.

Junker

« Reply #12 on: October 30, 2013, 04:18:28 PM »

Just use your mod powers to ban already. It's more annoying reading your low-content warnings than anyone else's posts.

I don't have that ability.  Please do not argue moderation in the upper fora, with the exception of S&C.  Consider this a warning.

« Reply #13 on: October 30, 2013, 04:49:41 PM »
I can think of two blindingly obvious reasons this experiment could not work.  First of all, even if the earth were flat, there is very likely no direct line of sight from California to Egypt with no mountains or other terrain in the way.  Secondly, I don't see how a laser beam could possibly travel several thousand miles through dense atmosphere without serious dispersion issues.

First part of your quote can be answered by simply raising the azimuth angle enough to maintain a line of sight, I don't see any problems in that, second part is a challenge though I agree.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #14 on: October 30, 2013, 07:42:50 PM »

It would seem that California to Hawaii would be an easier means for this experiment . It would also seem that if you had infrared film and filters which can overcome atmospheric effects and a powerful enough telescope you could take photographs of Hawaii from California.....For example from Point Loma in San Diego to Diamond Head in Honolulu. There would be no mountains or terrain in the way.
There are certainly means to do this by photography. If you could take the pictures this would prove the earth is flat. If not it would prove the earth is not flat.   
« Last Edit: October 30, 2013, 07:54:04 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #15 on: October 30, 2013, 08:06:01 PM »
Light can not travel an infinite distance through air.  Even a laser would scattered and defused by the time it got there. 

« Reply #16 on: October 30, 2013, 09:41:33 PM »
Light can not travel an infinite distance through air.  Even a laser would scattered and defused by the time it got there.

do it over a shorter distance then

« Reply #17 on: October 31, 2013, 01:06:49 AM »
Why use lasers?

« Reply #18 on: October 31, 2013, 01:18:28 AM »
Why use lasers?

they go in a straight line I guess, and can be seen

« Reply #19 on: October 31, 2013, 01:28:51 AM »

I also think that for TFES, such a laser experiment wouldn't be conclusive in any way - should the result point to a round earth, oh well, enter FET & bendy light and endless arguments about diffraction and whatnot.

Lorddave

« Reply #20 on: October 31, 2013, 05:26:41 AM »

I also think that for TFES, such a laser experiment wouldn't be conclusive in any way - should the result point to a round earth, oh well, enter FET & bendy light and endless arguments about diffraction and whatnot.
You mean like the optical refraction that telescopes compensate for?
Ionosphere reflection?
The slight bending of EM photons around the curve of the Earth?
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #21 on: October 31, 2013, 05:55:34 AM »
No, I think he is talking about Bendy Light.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #22 on: October 31, 2013, 06:36:33 AM »
This should be an easy enough experiment for those who are near an uninterrupted mile long stretch of water.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #23 on: October 31, 2013, 07:37:09 AM »
This is the Bedford Level experiment basically.  Surveyors do this often and routinely encounter the curvature of the Earth.

EnglshGentleman

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #24 on: October 31, 2013, 10:06:45 AM »
I don't think this experiment would be conclusive regardless of the results. If it was found that they laser was able to make its mark and the earth was flat, then RE'ers would inevitably just respond "Well there are just some parts of the Earth that are dead zones! Odds are that when the Earth is as big as it is, there is going to be flat spots."  ::)

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #25 on: October 31, 2013, 12:19:13 PM »
This is the Bedford Level experiment basically.  Surveyors do this often and routinely encounter the curvature of the Earth.
Yes it is, in a way, but the difference with this is, we are playing with 2 inches above water level each way. In those days, they didn't have the benefit of a laser. If the laser hits the points I've said, then the most likely conclusion can  be that the earth is flat.

If the laser does not hit hits mark, the the most likely conclusion is that the earth is a globe.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #26 on: October 31, 2013, 12:21:17 PM »
I don't think this experiment would be conclusive regardless of the results. If it was found that they laser was able to make its mark and the earth was flat, then RE'ers would inevitably just respond "Well there are just some parts of the Earth that are dead zones! Odds are that when the Earth is as big as it is, there is going to be flat spots."  ::)
Flat spots?

It's on water, so of the earth curves, so should the water, if that's how it's been deemed by lying science.
Flat spots my aris. If it's flat, it's flat for a reason, it's because the earth is flat.
Yeah, I agree that round earther's can put up a little show on this but if they are honest with rthemselves, I think it should go a long way in proving the earth is not a globe like they think it is and it is, indeed, flat.
« Last Edit: October 31, 2013, 12:23:07 PM by sceptimatic »

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #27 on: October 31, 2013, 12:23:33 PM »
Yes it is, in a way, but the difference with this is, we are playing with 2 inches above water level each way. In those days, they didn't have the benefit of a laser. If the laser hits the points I've said, then the most likely conclusion can  be that the earth is flat.

If the laser does not hit hits mark, the the most likely conclusion is that the earth is a globe.

You run in to superior mirage when you are that close to the water.  You have to find a way to eliminate that.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #28 on: October 31, 2013, 12:45:43 PM »

You run in to superior mirage when you are that close to the water.  You have to find a way to eliminate that.
No mirage is going to affect a laser like this. It's a straight line and target.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #29 on: October 31, 2013, 12:50:42 PM »
Well that is just not true.  I am assuming you are only using your logic here?  You are ignorant to the body of knowledge on mirage and related optical effects?