NEW POV Stratos video

• 53 Replies
?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
Re: NEW POV Stratos video
« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2013, 08:26:00 AM »
I like how he effortlessly moves his arms while going 2 or 3 hundred miles an hour. I also like how the earth's curve goes from convex to concave with the movement of camera angle.

Doesn't seem very effortless to me.

And... by now you should understand the nature of fish-eye lenses.
Effortlessly, don't forget the atmosphere is enough drag to heat up the heat shields on space ships. Enough to burn up the crafts unless they had the shields.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_thermal_protection_system#Why_TPS_is_needed

Quote from: wikipedia
Reentry heating differs from the normal atmospheric heating associated with jet aircraft, and this governed TPS design and characteristics. The skin of high-speed jet aircraft can also become hot, but this is from frictional heating due to atmospheric friction, similar to warming ones hands by rubbing them together. The orbiter reentered the atmosphere as a blunt body by having a very high (40-degree) angle of attack, with its broad lower surface facing the direction of flight. Over 80% of the heating the orbiter experiences during reentry is caused by compression of the air ahead of the hypersonic vehicle, in accordance with the basic thermodynamic relation between pressure and temperature.

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2013, 08:30:02 AM »
Effortlessly, don't forget the atmosphere is enough drag to heat up the heat shields on space ships. Enough to burn up the crafts unless they had the shields.
They're also moving a lot faster.

Also as stated by rottingroom, you should understand the effects of fisheye lenses by now.  It's been explained several times in several threads over the last year.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #32 on: October 18, 2013, 09:02:52 AM »

Also as stated by rottingroom, you should understand the effects of fisheye lenses by now.  It's been explained several times in several threads over the last year.
Fisheye lens makes the earth appear round in this video, got it.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #33 on: October 18, 2013, 09:10:01 AM »

This is an irrelevant claim. The fact is that while the camera is turning, we can see that it successfully guides the viewer through the entire perimeter of the currently viewable part of the earth. There is only one shape that can do this and it certainly isn't a straight line. The point of bringing up this video again isn't to talk about what camera's are used and how it does or does not prove the earth is round. The original Felix video is wrongly considered by FE'rs on this site to be "obviously fake" and this new video is just more ammunition for RE'rs. FE'rs are now tasked with debunking this video too, which despite their failed attempts at the original one, this one should be an even larger challenge.

« Reply #34 on: October 18, 2013, 09:23:38 AM »
Well, that light bulb at the beginning is going to be a challenge for RE to explain.

« Reply #35 on: October 18, 2013, 09:31:50 AM »
And can make the horizon change from convex to concave depending where it's pointed, yes.  Glad that's settled.  On to the next.

« Reply #36 on: October 18, 2013, 09:43:34 AM »
Well, that light bulb at the beginning is going to be a challenge for RE to explain.
You'll have to elaborate on that.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #37 on: October 18, 2013, 09:56:11 AM »
Is he talking about the sun?

« Reply #38 on: October 18, 2013, 09:58:04 AM »
I guess he is but I don't know what confuses him
I think, therefore I am

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #39 on: October 18, 2013, 10:04:41 AM »
I like how he effortlessly moves his arms while going 2 or 3 hundred miles an hour. I also like how the earth's curve goes from convex to concave with the movement of camera angle.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_Shuttle_thermal_protection_system#Why_TPS_is_needed

Reentry heating differs from the normal atmospheric heating associated with jet aircraft, and this governed TPS design and characteristics. The skin of high-speed jet aircraft can also become hot, but this is from frictional heating due to atmospheric friction, similar to warming ones hands by rubbing them together. The orbiter reentered the atmosphere as a blunt body by having a very high (40-degree) angle of attack, with its broad lower surface facing the direction of flight. Over 80% of the heating the orbiter experiences during reentry is caused by compression of the air ahead of the hypersonic vehicle, in accordance with the basic thermodynamic relation between pressure and temperature.
This just seems to be a way of explaining away the fact that he should have burned up, or the heat shields are not needed on space craft.
God is real.                                         

« Reply #40 on: October 18, 2013, 10:14:13 AM »

This just seems to be a way of explaining away the fact that he should have burned up, or the heat shields are not needed on space craft.
Felix jumped from much lower than reentry altitude and as stated before, his initial speed was practically zero.
NASA's mission control uses 76 mi (122 km) as their re-entry altitude (termed the Entry Interface), which roughly marks the boundary where atmospheric drag becomes noticeable (depending on the ballistic coefficient of the vehicle), thus leading shuttles to switch from steering with thrusters to maneuvering with air surfaces.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 10:16:38 AM by Cartesian »
I think, therefore I am

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #41 on: October 18, 2013, 10:24:48 AM »
It seems like every statement FE'rs make on this website comes from blatant ignorance:

FE: If this happened then why is such and such going on?
RE: Here is a link explaining why this happens.
FE: All lies!!!

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #42 on: October 18, 2013, 10:27:32 AM »
It seems like every statement FE'rs make on this website comes from blatant ignorance:

Just because something is linked, does not make it true. We are not ignorant, we are just not as easily fooled.
God is real.                                         

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #43 on: October 18, 2013, 10:30:39 AM »

Just because something is linked, does not make it true. We are not ignorant, we are just not as easily fooled.

You are quite easily fooled. You deny everything and think that implies an alternative world view without any evidence for that claim.

« Reply #44 on: October 18, 2013, 11:18:03 AM »
Rotting,
I would say that it is YOU that is fooled...to believe we have people living in space (among other things).

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #45 on: October 18, 2013, 11:19:05 AM »
Rotting,
I would say that it is YOU that is fooled...to believe we have people living in space (among other things).

My claims are substantiated, unlike yours.

« Reply #46 on: October 18, 2013, 12:38:20 PM »

He started at 0mph and accelerated to about 840mph in very low air pressure before slowing back down.  Bullets travel at speeds below the speed of sound up to 1900mph, sometimes more, and that's at ground air pressure.  Jets can travel faster much faster too.  Even land-based vehicles have achieved 760mph.

So no, there's no reason he should have burned up.

The space shuttle on the other had, is already moving around 17,000mph when it starts to encounter more air.

Curious what happens when something enters the atmosphere at about 41,000mph?  Look up a video of the meteor that tried it over Russia in February.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2013, 01:07:49 PM by 29silhouette »

« Reply #47 on: October 18, 2013, 12:42:31 PM »
840 miles per hour........I think that would kill a person.

?

Pyrolizard

• The Militant Skeptic
« Reply #48 on: October 18, 2013, 12:48:53 PM »

If you knew anything about the effects of speed on a human body, you'd know it's acceleration that does the damage.  The 747 regularly travels at speeds in excess of five hundred miles per hour, and it's not uncommon for private jets to break the sound barrier.  Heck, when the Concorde was still in service, it had a top cruising speed of over thirteen hundred miles per hour.
Quote from: Shmeggley
Wherever someone is wrong on the internet, Pyrolizard will be there!

Quote from: Excelsior John
I dont care about the majority I care about Obama.
Let it always be known that Excelsior John is against democracy.

« Reply #49 on: October 18, 2013, 12:52:26 PM »
Outside of an airplane.

?

Pyrolizard

• The Militant Skeptic
« Reply #50 on: October 18, 2013, 01:05:13 PM »
Outside of an airplane.

Makes no difference.  The air isn't substantive enough to cause serious damage.  Large amounts of acceleration however, inside and out of a vehicle, has been known to cause serious damage to people.  Everything from blackouts to organ failure.
Quote from: Shmeggley
Wherever someone is wrong on the internet, Pyrolizard will be there!

Quote from: Excelsior John
I dont care about the majority I care about Obama.
Let it always be known that Excelsior John is against democracy.

« Reply #51 on: October 18, 2013, 01:11:48 PM »
Baumgartner did start to go into a bad spin, but he recovered.  Other than that?

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #52 on: October 18, 2013, 02:27:29 PM »

Just went and read a bit about ejecting at supersonic speeds, which isn't really the same thing as it exposes the person to high speed airflow very suddenly, and in much denser air, but it does give a worst-case scenario. Apparently, the pilot and RSO of an SR-71 were thrown out of the aircraft when it broke up at a speed in excess of Mach 3, and an altitude of about 78,000ft (much faster, and in denser air than Felix). The pilot survived, however the RSO suffered a broken neck before being thrown from the aircraft. If you'd like to read about it, go to this link and scroll down to "61-17952 (SR-71A)".
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #53 on: October 19, 2013, 12:42:24 AM »
Outside of an airplane.
Felix was inside too:

I think, therefore I am