Can anyone answer this question.

• 908 Replies

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
Re: Can anyone answer this question.
« Reply #270 on: October 17, 2013, 09:27:52 AM »
you see the light before hearing the thunder because your ears have to wait for the sound wave to reach them.
So light and sound are separate then and travel at very different speeds.
Different frequencies produce different energy strengths, it's all pressure and density and all light that you see is the end product of all this , as in vibration/frequency/sound/energy.

Your light may act in different forms to you but it's the end product of sound, it cannot work any other way unless people would like to use some kind on imaginary magic, which wouldn't surprise me, as it's done on a regular basis and has been in the past.
Does the light/sound from an event travel the same speed across a distance to reach me? 

Yes or no.
The simple answer is yes. The only difference is seeing the effect of the frequency to hearing the effect of that frequency.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #271 on: October 17, 2013, 09:29:59 AM »
It's a light emitting diode and the light is heat and the heat is made by vibration/friction. For any of it to work in the first place the energy has to go through electrical conductors which is friction through a circuit and through a positive to negative metal wire. You cannot hear the sound from it because your ears are crap for stuff like that but the friction is there through speed of electrons basically crowding into what's know as free electrons or the docile crowd longing around being attacked by the baying mob, causing super friction, creating light.
Obviously there's more to it but basically I'm showing you that it's friction/vibration/sound, creating an end product of what we see and on a big scale, would hear.
Did you even read about how LEDs work before posting this?
Yes, do we have to go into the full scientific detail of it all to explain the basics, because I don't find that relevant in simply showing that light is sound.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #272 on: October 17, 2013, 09:31:37 AM »
Well it's not knowledge in the sense of anything that is true. It's more like a story.
Life is a story, Rama and we are all characters in that story and the author dictates how that story unfolds.
The bigger characters in that story (mainstream) are the ones that stand out and the smaller characters tend to get overlooked when the main of that story is recited from memory.

Your pretentious analogy falls flat. You are not getting overlooked because you are a small character. It's because when people do give you a chance, you have not even tried hard enough to find evidence, or thought about how to find evidence or even appear to be concerned with more than your mental exercise or creating self-consistent fantasies. People see that you are truly not committed to learning about things outside yourself and dismiss your ideas that you say pertain to the world outside of you. Your "outside the box" thinking is only one step towards discovering the truth.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

?

Pyrolizard

• The Militant Skeptic
« Reply #273 on: October 17, 2013, 09:35:07 AM »
Sound waves and light waves are two completely different things.
Ice, water and steam appear to be different things, yet they are the product of the very same thing.

Ice, water, and steam are not products of the same thing.  They are the same thing, on a molecular level.  Electromagnetic radiation and the kinetic movement of atoms and molecules, while products of friction in many cases, aren't even on the same scale.  One is subatomic while the other is atomic or molecular.  To call them one and the same demonstrates a total lack of knowledge in the field of physics.

In short what I'm saying is, get an education or do the experiments to prove your hypothesis right and everyone else wrong.  One or the other, or stop asserting that you're right without knowledge of the subject.
Quote from: Shmeggley
Wherever someone is wrong on the internet, Pyrolizard will be there!

Quote from: Excelsior John
I dont care about the majority I care about Obama.
Let it always be known that Excelsior John is against democracy.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #274 on: October 17, 2013, 09:40:27 AM »
Well it's not knowledge in the sense of anything that is true. It's more like a story.
Life is a story, Rama and we are all characters in that story and the author dictates how that story unfolds.
The bigger characters in that story (mainstream) are the ones that stand out and the smaller characters tend to get overlooked when the main of that story is recited from memory.

Your pretentious analogy falls flat. You are not getting overlooked because you are a small character. It's because when people do give you a chance, you have not even tried hard enough to find evidence, or thought about how to find evidence or even appear to be concerned with more than your mental exercise or creating self-consistent fantasies. People see that you are truly not committed to learning about things outside yourself and dismiss your ideas that you say pertain to the world outside of you. Your "outside the box" thinking is only one step towards discovering the truth.
No Rama. People are scared of simplicity, especially those that are trained in the art of complication.
Simplicity scares you because you feel it demeans your scientific mind.
Most people who use simple concepts in explanations are mostly ridiculed and intimidated and cast off as nut jobs. It forces people to try and be more scientific savvy in order to be like those they are arguing with.
I'm not one that can be intimidated and I certainly will not follow protocol. I will, however, follow my own thoughts until they do not stand up to the test.

You, nor anyone else has proved what I'm saying is wrong. Telling me they are wrong is not proof.

« Reply #275 on: October 17, 2013, 09:44:47 AM »
Does the light/sound from an event travel the same speed across a distance to reach me? 

Yes or no.
The simple answer is yes. The only difference is seeing the effect of the frequency to hearing the effect of that frequency.
Ok then.  Glad that is settled.

Let's use an explosive.  I set off an explosive close by.  I see and hear it almost instantly.  I set off an explosive 500 meters away.  I see it, but hear it a couple seconds later. 

Now, if the light/sound is moving at the same speed from the event, and reaching me at the same time, then why do I witness an increasing delay between seeing the event and hearing the event as the distance over which it travels increases?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #276 on: October 17, 2013, 09:46:41 AM »
Sound waves and light waves are two completely different things.
Ice, water and steam appear to be different things, yet they are the product of the very same thing.

Ice, water, and steam are not products of the same thing.  They are the same thing, on a molecular level.  Electromagnetic radiation and the kinetic movement of atoms and molecules, while products of friction in many cases, aren't even on the same scale.  One is subatomic while the other is atomic or molecular.  To call them one and the same demonstrates a total lack of knowledge in the field of physics.

In short what I'm saying is, get an education or do the experiments to prove your hypothesis right and everyone else wrong.  One or the other, or stop asserting that you're right without knowledge of the subject.
You can play the master scientific game all you want to, but the average person looking in will look away if explanations of things start becoming complicated...more complicated than need be to explain the basics of things.

You can harp on about sub atomic and atomic this and that all day long and I'll be sticking out my tongue and shouting, "yeah yeah", because we are dealing with basics, that's all, just basics.
The basic fact is, light is sound and that's as basic as you get.

Is it as simple as just that?
Yes...but, it becomes more difficult once it becomes hard to differentiate the frequencies of it that make up the technology we all become accustomed to, yet never think of the workings to.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #277 on: October 17, 2013, 09:48:33 AM »

Yes or no.

Let's use an explosive.  I set off an explosive close by.  I see and hear it almost instantly.  I set off an explosive 500 meters away.  I see it, but hear it a couple seconds later. 

Now, if the light/sound is moving at the same speed from the event, and reaching me at the same time, then why do I witness an increasing delay between seeing the event and hearing the event as the distance over which it travels increases?
Your primitive ears. Why can't you grasp this?

« Reply #278 on: October 17, 2013, 09:55:07 AM »

Yes or no.

You claim the light and sound is reaching me at the same time. 

According to you, I should see the event and hear the event at the same time, or at least witness a consistent delay between seeing and hearing the event regardless of distance.

This is not what happens. 

What causes this variable delay?

Why can't you grasp this?
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:07:26 AM by 29silhouette »

?

Pyrolizard

• The Militant Skeptic
« Reply #279 on: October 17, 2013, 10:03:34 AM »
You can play the master scientific game all you want to, but the average person looking in will look away if explanations of things start becoming complicated...more complicated than need be to explain the basics of things.

You can harp on about sub atomic and atomic this and that all day long and I'll be sticking out my tongue and shouting, "yeah yeah", because we are dealing with basics, that's all, just basics.

Yes...but, it becomes more difficult once it becomes hard to differentiate the frequencies of it that make up the technology we all become accustomed to, yet never think of the workings to.
Nice to see you implying that the average person isn't willing to educate themselves.

Scepti, the basics include light not being on the same scale as sound.  You're comparing an orange and the sun.  They're both orange (waveforms), and they're both round (energy), but the disparity in scale is huge and each presents characteristics that the other doesn't (Sound diminishes with less medium, light diminishes with more medium.  Sound transmits fastest through a dense, crystalline medium, light transmits fastest through as little medium as possible, etc.)

What you're telling me further is that you don't understand the difference between a camera and a microphone.  At least in the way that they work.  Perhaps starting your research from old time silver nitrate film cameras would be best, then.  Try to get old time film to develop with sound.

« Reply #280 on: October 17, 2013, 10:13:39 AM »
I'm not one that can be intimidated and I certainly will not follow protocol. I will, however, follow my own thoughts until they do not stand up to the test.

You, nor anyone else has proved what I'm saying is wrong. Telling me they are wrong is not proof.
Nobody can prove you wrong by your standards. You say, "the sky is red", one says "no it's blue, come on, you can see it", you answer " your eyes are sooo primitive, the sky is red, prove me I'm wrong".

Now show a single test you have done. Start by a single one. You are here giving brilliant thoughts but never ever gave ONE SINGLE experimentation result. You may start with your pressure/gravitation "theory", it's very easy to experiment.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #281 on: October 17, 2013, 10:19:44 AM »

No Rama. People are scared of simplicity, especially those that are trained in the art of complication.
Most people who use simple concepts in explanations are mostly ridiculed and intimidated and cast off as nut jobs. It forces people to try and be more scientific savvy in order to be like those they are arguing with.

Simplicity scares me?  There you go again making up self-consistent fantasies again. No, I find it scarier when people reject ideas because it does not mesh with their internal sense of what is logical. You are speaking for the masses for some reason that is beyond me as well. Anyway, no one has ever proved you wrong because when something is presented that refutes your position, you deny it, so how could anyone prove you wrong? Anyway, I look forward to you maybe one day presenting evidence of something you assert so we can have meaningful conversation.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #282 on: October 17, 2013, 10:26:09 AM »

Yes or no.

You claim the light and sound is reaching me at the same time. 

According to you, I should see the event and hear the event at the same time, or at least witness a consistent delay between seeing and hearing the event regardless of distance.

This is not what happens. 

What causes this variable delay?

Why can't you grasp this?
No, I'm not saying you should see the event and hear it at the same time, at all.
I'm saying that the event happens virtually at the same time, one causes the other, as in vibration/friction results in light, but because it's took time to build up that light, you see that light and then hear that build up to it, dependent on the strength of the friction that made it glow enough in the distance being strong enough to reach your ears.

It's the reason why the speed of light is an absolute joke.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #283 on: October 17, 2013, 10:27:51 AM »

Nice to see you implying that the average person isn't willing to educate themselves.

Scepti, the basics include light not being on the same scale as sound.  You're comparing an orange and the sun.  They're both orange (waveforms), and they're both round (energy), but the disparity in scale is huge and each presents characteristics that the other doesn't (Sound diminishes with less medium, light diminishes with more medium.  Sound transmits fastest through a dense, crystalline medium, light transmits fastest through as little medium as possible, etc.)

What you're telling me further is that you don't understand the difference between a camera and a microphone.  At least in the way that they work.  Perhaps starting your research from old time silver nitrate film cameras would be best, then.  Try to get old time film to develop with sound.
Come back to me when you become less smug.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #284 on: October 17, 2013, 10:29:41 AM »

Nobody can prove you wrong by your standards. You say, "the sky is red", one says "no it's blue, come on, you can see it", you answer " your eyes are sooo primitive, the sky is red, prove me I'm wrong".

Now show a single test you have done. Start by a single one. You are here giving brilliant thoughts but never ever gave ONE SINGLE experimentation result. You may start with your pressure/gravitation "theory", it's very easy to experiment.
Give me something specific to work from and I'll do my best.

?

Pyrolizard

• The Militant Skeptic
« Reply #285 on: October 17, 2013, 10:33:13 AM »

Sorry if I come off that way, you're making it too easy.  Light and sound have very different characteristics.  If you don't want to acknowledge that, you're the one ignoring simplicity, not us.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #286 on: October 17, 2013, 10:40:31 AM »

Simplicity scares me?  There you go again making up self-consistent fantasies again. No, I find it scarier when people reject ideas because it does not mesh with their internal sense of what is logical. You are speaking for the masses for some reason that is beyond me as well. Anyway, no one has ever proved you wrong because when something is presented that refutes your position, you deny it, so how could anyone prove you wrong? Anyway, I look forward to you maybe one day presenting evidence of something you assert so we can have meaningful conversation.
You can have a meaningful conversation any time , it just depends on your stance.
You see. You say that I cannot prove what I'm saying and I'm simply saying, try and open up your mind and delve into what I'm saying, which means you have to (for a time) put your perceived scientific memorisation to one side and have a look at the other side, the simpler side.
Yes, yes, I know you're not going to waste your time pondering stupid musings without evidence, yet you have willingly accepted a lot of scientific mumbo jumbo about space fabric/time/gravity/black holes/dark matter and a whole host of other stuff that CANNOT be proven and yet it's accepted because it supposedly works, because you are told it works or it has to work, because if it didn't, why would the sun be this and the planets be that and space be this...and yet there it is, it's all true because the puppets of the establishment says it is true.

You are made to observe the puppet, it's the puppet who controls you. The person operating that puppet, stays in the background.
You are told what to believe and you memorise it all. You will stay behind the wall until you decide to kick your ball over it and go and retrieve it. Only then will you see what's beyond it.

« Reply #287 on: October 17, 2013, 10:41:24 AM »

Great.

Sound waves and light waves are COMPLETELY different.
You did not ask me for logic.  You asked for my opinion. - Jroa

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #288 on: October 17, 2013, 10:49:09 AM »

Sorry if I come off that way, you're making it too easy.  Light and sound have very different characteristics.  If you don't want to acknowledge that, you're the one ignoring simplicity, not us.
This is just a face slapping contest to see who stings the most, it's going nowhere.

What you have to remember is, I have been on your side of the fence and said the very same type of things, as in, " nooo, don't be silly, the earth is round" and " well it's the speed of light, it's 186,000 miles per second, it's obvious" and stuff like that and you do feel a bit smug when explaining stuff like that to people who inquire only to later realise that what you have been doing, is regurgitating what you memorised from the books that you accepted as gospel truth.

It takes a lot to sway from a life time of this, so I can't knock anyone for adhering to what they have been basically trained to think.
I'm also not here to puff out my chest and play appendage measuring contests, I'm simply using what I should have used all along, which is, my own mind to question the validity of what was drummed into it and here I am.

« Reply #289 on: October 17, 2013, 10:50:18 AM »
Light is electromagnetic radiation. Sound waves are mechanical waves.

Light is made of waves as well as particles. Sound is only a wave. No particle nature in sound.

Light waves can travel in a vacuum. Sound waves require a medium.

Speed of light in a medium is constant while the velocity of sound waves can change.

Light waves can be polarized..........sound waves can't.

Not the same thing.
« Last Edit: October 17, 2013, 10:56:29 AM by Umurweird »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #290 on: October 17, 2013, 10:51:34 AM »

Great.

Sound waves and light waves are COMPLETELY different.
The waves may be different waves but they emanate from the same thing. vibration/sound/frequency.

« Reply #291 on: October 17, 2013, 10:54:43 AM »
What you have to remember is, I have been on your side of the fence and said the very same type of things, as in, " nooo, don't be silly, the earth is round" and " well it's the speed of light, it's 186,000 miles per second, it's obvious" and stuff like that and you do feel a bit smug when explaining stuff like that to people who inquire only to later realise that what you have been doing, is regurgitating what you memorised from the books that you accepted as gospel truth.

It takes a lot to sway from a life time of this, so I can't knock anyone for adhering to what they have been basically trained to think.
I'm also not here to puff out my chest and play appendage measuring contests, I'm simply using what I should have used all along, which is, my own mind to question the validity of what was drummed into it and here I am.

So, basically what you are saying is that in the absence of learning science.........a field of study with thousands of years of research, experiments, theories......put forth by some of the greatest minds the world has ever seen..................you choose to just make stuff up and go with that instead?

How is pushing forward ridiculous ideas (dome covering the world, stars a reflection of light beaming out of the earth) that has no evidence to back it supposed to be more enlightening than trusting science?

« Reply #292 on: October 17, 2013, 10:55:47 AM »
The waves may be different waves but they emanate from the same thing. vibration/sound/frequency.

They both have frequency and vibration because they are waves.

They don't emanate from the same thing. They are seperate.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #293 on: October 17, 2013, 10:58:27 AM »
Light is electromagnetic radiation. Sound waves are mechnical waves.
What do you think causes electromagnetism?

Light waves can travel in a vacuum. Sound waves require a medium.
No they cannot travel in a vacuum at all.
Speed of light in a medium is constant while the velocity of sound waves can change.
No it's not constant at all. Give me an example of this constant.
Explain.
Not the same thing.
They are the same thing.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #294 on: October 17, 2013, 11:08:56 AM »

So, basically what you are saying is that in the absence of learning science.........a field of study with thousands of years of research, experiments, theories......put forth by some of the greatest minds the world has ever seen..................you choose to just make stuff up and go with that instead?

How is pushing forward ridiculous ideas (dome covering the world, stars a reflection of light beaming out of the earth) that has no evidence to back it supposed to be more enlightening than trusting science?
Nobody is forcing you to change your stance. That has to come from within you. If you think it's ridiculous then fair enough, that's your prerogative.
One day, just ponder what's been said...just ponder it and ask questions of what you have been trained to accept and maybe, just maybe, one small thing might just not make sense and that's all it needs to push you on.

Like I said. That's entirely up to you and your choice alone. If you decide that I'm a stark raving clown, lunatic and don't want to entertain on letter of what I've said or any tiny part of other flat earth theories, then fine. All I am doing is putting my thoughts into words. They can be there to muse over, or laughed at or ridiculed or whatever.

The fact is, I'm stead fast in what I believe an d just as tough on my stance as you are on yours and yet I have the added extra of being on the other side before seeing things in a different light.

« Reply #295 on: October 17, 2013, 11:12:32 AM »
What do you think causes electromagnetism?

In your delusional world? Probably drunk fairies.

In reality........electromagnetism is how charged bodies interact.

No they cannot travel in a vacuum at all.

Light waves can travel in a vacuum. Sound waves can't.

No one can hear you scream in space. But they can see you. Of course..........in your world space doesn't exist............so nevermind.

No it's not constant at all. Give me an example of this constant.

Speed of light is a constant. Meaning it's not effected a medium. Sound waves can be manipulated by a medium.

Recently the theory of varible speed of light has been studied but the speed of light has been observed to be constant.
Explain.

Why? You either won't understant of won't accept the answer.

Light waves like waves from the sun or a lightbulb or candle are unpolarized......they vibrate in every direction. To polarize a light wave is to filter out the vibrations and only allow, say, half of them to occur.

You can do this to light waves because they are transverse. Sound waves are longitudinal meaning they move parallel to the direction of motion........they can't be polarized.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #296 on: October 17, 2013, 11:18:04 AM »
Speed of light is a constant. Meaning it's not effected a medium.
Actually, the speed of light is affected by the medium that it's travelling through.  How do you think refraction works?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #297 on: October 17, 2013, 11:19:55 AM »
Nobody is forcing you to change your stance. That has to come from within you. If you think it's ridiculous then fair enough, that's your prerogative.
One day, just ponder what's been said...just ponder it and ask questions of what you have been trained to accept and maybe, just maybe, one small thing might just not make sense and that's all it needs to push you on.

A lot of things don't make sense to me in science. Tons of it, actually.

But should I come to the conclusion that it's all made up junk and insert my own version of events or further study the work that has already been done and use it as a building block for the future.

Science never stops. Theories are changed over time. New theories change the way we look at old ones. Science doesn't have all the answers and it's never claimed to. We're still very primitive today compared to where we need to be in order to fully understant the universe. It won't happen in my life time. Maybe not even in my grandkids lifetime. But by the time they are adults..........they will know more about the world than I currently do.

Look back 200 years and see where science and technology were. Look at where it is today. It's a huge jump.

Because one small thing doesn't make sense doesn't mean you tear down everything and say it's all a lie.

Like I said. That's entirely up to you and your choice alone. If you decide that I'm a stark raving clown, lunatic and don't want to entertain on letter of what I've said or any tiny part of other flat earth theories, then fine. All I am doing is putting my thoughts into words. They can be there to muse over, or laughed at or ridiculed or whatever.

Nothing you push forward deserves to be treated with respect because it's absurd. We know too much today about science and the universe for anything you're saying to even remotely make sense.

If you had been born 200 years ago or even 100 years ago you might have a chance. But not today.

The fact is, I'm stead fast in what I believe an d just as tough on my stance as you are on yours and yet I have the added extra of being on the other side before seeing things in a different light.

The difference is I can back up what I say with facts and evidence.

You............can only reject the actual facts and evidence and say it's a big conspiracy then push your own ideas through but not back them up because in your fantasy world it's not possible to.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #298 on: October 17, 2013, 11:24:51 AM »

Light waves like waves from the sun or a lightbulb or candle are unpolarized......they vibrate in every direction. To polarize a light wave is to filter out the vibrations and only allow, say, half of them to occur.

You can do this to light waves because they are transverse. Sound waves are longitudinal meaning they move parallel to the direction of motion........they can't be polarized.
This is the bit that should help you to understand the reality in a simplistic way. VIBRATION.

?

Pyrolizard

• The Militant Skeptic
« Reply #299 on: October 17, 2013, 11:26:25 AM »
This is just a face slapping contest to see who stings the most, it's going nowhere.
I'm hardly doing a thing to offend you.  I'm pointing out facts that you have yet to refute, and then making an observation contrary to one you made.  If you consider me saying that you're ignoring simplicity by making assertions against fact and doing nothing to back them up, again, sorry.  You do something much the same, except you complain that of the ones asserting empirical fact with nothing to disprove them.

I'll freely admit that I'm regurgitating the opinions of experts in the field.  I've seen nothing to the contrary, from you or anyone else, and I'm not qualified in the field to make a judgement call without evidence.  Just because some lunatic on a forum wants to ignore the obvious differences in properties between light and sound does not mean anyone should be convinced by him. 

Now again, if you were to show that these didn't exist, or perform an experiment showing light and sound to be one and the same, we'd lend you an ear.  You haven't, don't seem like you're inclined to, and until you do your sophistry is just that - fallacious and deliberately misleading, however nice it sounds on paper.

As I said previously, if you weren't criticising fields you refuse to understand, we'd probably be more inclined to hear you out.  We still probably wouldn't believe you because you still have no empirical evidence, but you'd be taken more seriously in general and not constantly shot down for philosophising.

Speed of light is a constant. Meaning it's not effected a medium. Sound waves can be manipulated by a medium.

Recently the theory of varible speed of light has been studied but the speed of light has been observed to be constant.
Er, I feel the need to elaborate.  The speed of light through a medium is not constant, due to the photon being absorbed and emitted as it progresses through the medium, assuming a transparent medium.  However, the speed of the actual photon in between the emission and absorption is still c, the speed of light in a vacuum, so the speed of light never changes although it takes it longer to get through some mediums than others.