Celebs in space

• 59 Replies

Thork

• Please do not touch or disturb me.
Celebs in space
« on: September 10, 2013, 01:30:53 PM »
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-24031979

Quote from: BBC NEWS
The singer and campaigner Bob Geldof is to travel into space as a passenger on a commercial space flight. Space Expedition Corporation (SXC) is hoping to launch 100 people into space in 2014 at the cost of $100,000 (£64,000) per ticket.
::)

Quote from: Bob Geldof
Being the first Irishman in space is not only a fantastic honour but pretty mind-blowing.
  ::)

Mr Geldof will be undertaking his first step of training in the space flight simulator based in the Netherlands this coming weekend.
What an idiot.

This particular company don't even have a vehicle yet. But somehow they are going to beat Branson on time and cost (half price) despite Branson's 9 year head start.  ::)

They have a nice model though.

The passengers will travel on the Lynx X2 privately built spacecraft.

And from June this year ...

source

Why won't the media bust these space shysters? Company after company and never do any of them deliver.
Do any of the RErs fancy defending this twaddle?

Rushy

Re: Celebs in space
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2013, 01:35:05 PM »
It's a big space travel circlejerk. No media group wants to be "that guy" and start wondering why all of these companies are being foiled in their plans of space domination, so they just take the advertising money and post no-fuss articles about the newest scam that targets the rich and dumb.

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2013, 01:43:20 PM »
I think I remember hearing about Justin Beiber buying one of these space flight tickets too.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

Thork

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2013, 01:46:30 PM »
I think I remember hearing about Justin Beiber buying one of these space flight tickets too.

Oh wow. That's a glorious find.

Quote from: http://www.mtv.co.uk/news/justin-bieber/383693-justin-bieber-space-flight-music-video
Justin Bieber and manager Scooter Braun have booked a flight to space, with the teen idol stating he wants to shoot a music video that truly is 'out of this world.'
Space Tourism is such a crock.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2013, 01:47:31 PM »
Quote from: Ævan

Doesn't seem like there is much to defend here. What kind of response are you looking for? It's a guy trying to go to space.

Thork

« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2013, 01:49:05 PM »

Doesn't seem like there is much to defend here. What kind of response are you looking for? It's a guy trying to go to space.
Next year. In a wooden spaceship. That he hasn't finished building yet. That he's selling tickets for. Does any of this seem remotely plausible to you?

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2013, 01:50:16 PM »

Next year. In a wooden spaceship. That he hasn't finished building yet. That he's selling tickets for. Does any of this seem remotely plausible to you?

I have no idea. I don't think there is enough data to make a single assessment about it.

Thork

« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2013, 01:53:06 PM »

I have no idea. I don't think there is enough data to make a single assessment about it.
To date they have achieved 0 flight tests. Obviously. How do you think they are going to fare when they file for public liability insurance next year before blasting multi-millionaire celebrities into the heavens/smithereens? C'mon, use your brain. What evidence do you want? This is just common sense.

« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2013, 01:54:19 PM »
Bob geldof must be a fool.

I wonder how safe it will be when they cut corners to get it to fly in time?

Thork

« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2013, 01:56:08 PM »
Bob geldof must be a fool.

I wonder how safe it will be when they cut corners to get it to fly in time?

For a start, they are paying a giant to throw it into space.

Bob Geldof is likely in on this scam. I suspect he is raising his own profile and buying some relevance (something he has been lacking of late).

« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2013, 01:58:40 PM »
He should stick to trying to feed the world not leave it.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2013, 02:06:17 PM »
I was just talking about the wooden spaceship part of your inquiry.

To date they have achieved 0 flight tests. Obviously. How do you think they are going to fare when they file for public liability insurance next year before blasting multi-millionaire celebrities into the heavens/smithereens? C'mon, use your brain. What evidence do you want? This is just common sense.

It does seem very unlikely. You are denying the antecedent.

Example:

If it rains, then the grass gets wet.
It is not raining.
Therefore, the grass is not wet.

And in your case:

If Bob gets to space, spaceflight is possible
Clearly this guy is not making it to space
Therefore, spaceflight is not possible

What evidence do you want? This is just common sense.

I didn't ask for evidence. It's just a piss poor argument.

Thork

« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2013, 02:11:18 PM »
On this website I document absolutely every single attempt at space tourism I see, that reaches the mainstream media. This is house-keeping, if you like and they all have a common theme. They are completely made up and all have stupid and obvious flaws in their story.

And yet the media still refuses to out them. Conspiracy?

?

odes

• Everything else is a fairy tale!
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2013, 02:18:10 PM »
Celebrities always tell the truth about what they perceive. They have absolutely nothing to lose. They are also experts in a wide variety of fields, everything from nutrition to poverty.
Quote from: Rushy
No bawwing is necessary.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2013, 02:27:33 PM »
On this website I document absolutely every single attempt at space tourism I see, that reaches the mainstream media. This is house-keeping, if you like and they all have a common theme. They are completely made up and all have stupid and obvious flaws in their story.

And yet the media still refuses to out them. Conspiracy?

What is it with FE language and the tendency to utter personal convictions into every sentence that is written?

It's stupid? It's made up? These are not facts and no concession from any normal human being will be awarded to you until you present evidence on the contrary.

You made about 4 or 5 assertive claims there and I have yet to see any conspiracy threads with good evidence. Commercial space flight by all accounts should be enormously difficult to achieve. This inductive fallacy suggests impossibility when the task at hand has its difficulty warranted.

Suppose mankind should just give up. Paddle up!

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #15 on: September 10, 2013, 02:30:34 PM »
Bob Geldof is likely in on this scam. I suspect he is raising his own profile and buying some relevance (something he has been lacking of late).

So he pays them $100,000 for the privilege of...pretending he's going to go to space?  I doubt it.  He's probably just another patsy to them.

Thork

« Reply #16 on: September 10, 2013, 02:31:44 PM »
Suppose human kind should just give up. Paddle up!
I do not object to the research. I object to the selling of tickets for trips that will never take place.

On a completely unrelated note, I have invented a time machine. I'm going to start selling tickets for $90,000 and you can go to the future and then come back. Below is my new machine.

Its still in testing but I hope to have transported the first 200 time travellers by September next year.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #17 on: September 10, 2013, 02:37:24 PM »
Suppose human kind should just give up. Paddle up!
I do not object to the research. I object to the selling of tickets for trips that will never take place.

On a completely unrelated note, I have invented a time machine. I'm going to start selling tickets for $90,000 and you can go to the future and then come back. Below is my new machine.

Its still in testing but I hope to have transported the first 200 time travellers by September next year.

That is funny and your point is taken, but why object to what other people do with their money? Shit, there's millions of suckers spending $700-800 on the new iPhone that came out today. I don't care because it isn't my money.

There are pyramid schemes every where but none of that has any conclusive bearing on the legitimacy of other projects.

Thork

« Reply #18 on: September 10, 2013, 02:41:03 PM »
That is funny and your point is taken, but why object to what other people do with their money? Shit, there's millions of suckers spending $700-800 on the new iPhone that came out today. I don't care because it isn't my money.

There are pyramid schemes every where but none of that has any conclusive bearing on the legitimacy of other projects.
Why do I object to fraud?

You are pushing all my buttons today and its very hard to keep on topic. Whilst the 5S is unnecessary, the 5C looks an awesome phone. How much is that one? Apple won't tell me. :(
Tell me as part of your answer to fraud, and then the mods can't say its off topic. I'm an off-topic pro. Make a line of nonsense. Add a line that's relevant. Boom, back on topic.

« Reply #19 on: September 10, 2013, 02:49:04 PM »
We are speculating on a celeb who paid a lot of money to a company who supposedly would be able to fly him to space next year. I am sorry to say this but I don't see the relevance of this thread to the shape of the earth.
I think, therefore I am

Thork

« Reply #20 on: September 10, 2013, 02:53:16 PM »
I am sorry to say this but I don't see the relevance of this thread to the shape of the earth.
Then post in another thread?  ::)

Space tourism is often cited as proof of space travel, orbit and ultimately a round earth. I make it my business to gather as much info on Space Tourism as I can, because I know it is not a viable possibility.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #21 on: September 10, 2013, 02:58:15 PM »

You are pushing all my buttons today and its very hard to keep on topic. Whilst the 5S is unnecessary, the 5C looks an awesome phone. How much is that one? Apple won't tell me. :(
Tell me as part of your answer to fraud, and then the mods can't say its off topic. I'm an off-topic pro. Make a line of nonsense. Add a line that's relevant. Boom, back on topic.

You don't know that it's fraud. If you have a suspicion then don't post it on an internet forum. Especially one as ambitious as the FES. Go expose this liar!

PS... I don't know the exact prices of that stuff but I think I found some internet for you.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 03:00:30 PM »

The 5C is $99 for 16GB and $199GB for 32GB (with a 2 year contract).  That's about $100 less than the current iPhone 5, so you can probably adjust UK prices accordingly.

What do you care if people with more money than brains get ripped off?  Are those deposits non-refundable?
« Last Edit: September 10, 2013, 03:07:51 PM by markjo »
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 03:06:33 PM »
Space tourism is often cited as proof of space travel, orbit and ultimately a round earth. I make it my business to gather as much info on Space Tourism as I can, because I know it is not a viable possibility.

Thank you for your effort to document this but maybe this is more suitable for the Flat Earth Information Repository section. Don't you think?
I think, therefore I am

Thork

« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 03:06:37 PM »
You don't know that it's fraud. If you have a suspicion then don't post it on an internet forum. Especially one as ambitious as the FES. Go expose this liar!

PS... I don't know the exact prices of that stuff but I think I found some internet for you.
I actually submitted a petition to the government about Skylon using tax[payers money for a hoax. No one signed it.  :'(

I found iPhone prices. Their 'budget' model is stupidly expensive. Screw apple. No upgrade for me.
http://www.product-reviews.net/2013/09/10/iphone-5c-vs-5s-price-in-usa-uk-off-contract/

« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 03:08:56 PM »
we should take up a collection and send Willmore up there.
with a Zetetic in space, we will finally know the Truth.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 03:12:37 PM »
we should take up a collection and send Willmore up there.
with a Zetetic in space, we will finally know the Truth.

what an idea. I support this.

« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 03:23:41 PM »
with thousands of members, a couple dollars a piece should raise the money.

We all trust Willmore, so when he goes up, we will all know.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 03:25:51 PM »
What about Guy Laliberté's space trip. Was that also a fraud?

I think the 5C is their discount model no?  4S tech in a 5 casing or something.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #29 on: September 10, 2013, 03:48:47 PM »
http://i39.tinypic.com/x2kths.jpg

This is funny, it looks something my kids would put together when they were younger.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth