Animals

• 30 Replies

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
Animals
« on: September 07, 2013, 12:14:56 AM »
It's always bewildered me how people can disconnect from animals on a multitude of levels. This creates a lack of empathy, and some people even consider them to be soulless meat robots dropped here by god simply for human use. I'm compiling a list of resources that highlights the lesser known sides of animals like ingenuity or creativity. I used to have a gif of a cat jumping on cardboard squares in a carpeted hall, thus exhibiting that "tile game" behavior humans often do, but I seem to have lost it.

Anyhow, feel free to add cool examples... or argue about stuff. I don't care.

My most notable source right now is a creative fish that moves sand around to form intricate designs. This work of art is actually part of its mating ritual.
#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">Fish creates a pattern on the sea floor
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 12:23:02 AM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Genius

• Professor of Geniustology
Re: Animals
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2013, 12:34:45 AM »
Oh, right, you're a mod here.

Anyway, that's cool, I'm glad it knows how to make pretty shapes.
The earth is round because the space man said so.

Rushy

« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2013, 12:39:37 AM »
On a scale on 1-10, how delicious would you say the shape-making fish is?

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2013, 01:02:38 AM »

I should file for retirement. I haven't banned anybody in ages.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Genius

• Professor of Geniustology
« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2013, 01:11:52 AM »

There's a possibility for you to be a hero.
The earth is round because the space man said so.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2013, 02:11:20 AM »

Please don't :(
Even though inactive, you're one of the most competent mods out there.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #6 on: September 07, 2013, 05:38:51 AM »

Liar.  You banned someone just a couple of weeks ago.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #7 on: September 07, 2013, 04:12:37 PM »

Liar.  You banned someone just a couple of weeks ago.

If by a couple weeks, you mean 2011, you're completely right.

Rushy

« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2013, 04:22:29 PM »
This thread may have gone off topic in record time, excluding any thread where someone purposefully derails the thread in the second post.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #9 on: September 07, 2013, 04:40:12 PM »
This thread may have gone off topic in record time, excluding any thread where someone purposefully derails the thread in the second post.
I'm assuming people don't have examples, and I'm chill about it; I prefer random conversation to silence.

Edit: Also, I've never tried pufferfish to determine its deliciousness coefficient.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2013, 04:52:59 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »

rooster

« Reply #10 on: September 07, 2013, 04:59:52 PM »
My "killing cats lol" thread was a great example of the type of person described in OP.

There are videos of border collies that can count.

« Reply #11 on: September 09, 2013, 01:28:25 PM »
It's probably part of it's mating ritual. I wouldn't say that fish has intelligence or a greater consciousness because it can make that pattern in the sand.

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2013, 01:35:41 PM »
Just because an animal is intelligent doesn't mean I shouldn't eat it. Not that I'm supportive, or even complacent, towards animal abuse. It's just that in our world, animals often eat other animals. I don't see any reason humans should be different. (Also, I know no one in this thread has yet advocated vegan or vegetarian lifestyles, I'm just trying to throw some conversation bait out there.)

Also, Singy is the shit.

rooster

« Reply #13 on: September 09, 2013, 01:54:03 PM »
Just because an animal is intelligent doesn't mean I shouldn't eat it. Not that I'm supportive, or even complacent, towards animal abuse. It's just that in our world, animals often eat other animals. I don't see any reason humans should be different. (Also, I know no one in this thread has yet advocated vegan or vegetarian lifestyles, I'm just trying to throw some conversation bait out there.)

Also, Singy is the shit.
I think the main issue is more a lack of empathy (animal cruelty) and human arrogance rather than eating animals. I know animals aren't just put here for my use, but I will eat them because I know it's just what animals do. HOWEVER, it doesn't mean that I think that's all they are good for or that I'll abuse a pet.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2013, 03:30:57 PM by rooster »

« Reply #14 on: September 09, 2013, 02:17:25 PM »

Also, Singy is the shit.

I'm a vegetarian, but I'm not one for the reasons given in the op.

Benjamin Franklin

• Flat Earth Editor
  • The dopest founding father.
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2013, 05:30:38 PM »
Well, feel free to share them. It'll spark something to talk about in this thread.

I think the main issue is more a lack of empathy (animal cruelty) and human arrogance rather than eating animals. I know animals aren't just put here for my use, but I will eat them because I know it's just what animals do. HOWEVER, it doesn't mean that I think that's all they are good for or that I'll abuse a pet.
I'd agree, fa sho.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2013, 05:56:26 PM »
I've raised lots of cows (they were delicious) but I always took good care of them. I think they had a much more pleasant life than most commercially raised livestock. I hate to think about the conditions at most of the feedlots in the US, they are disgusting.

I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

rooster

« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2013, 07:37:28 PM »
I've raised lots of cows (they were delicious) but I always took good care of them. I think they had a much more pleasant life than most commercially raised livestock. I hate to think about the conditions at most of the feedlots in the US, they are disgusting.
:(

I bet well raised cattle taste yummy.

Rushy

« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2013, 07:39:58 PM »
My grandfather raises cows, but as he has gotten older they are no longer livestock and now very large pets. It's been years since he actually had one butchered.

« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2013, 07:54:53 PM »
That was quite a story.

Rushy

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2013, 08:06:25 PM »
That was quite a story.

Don't patronize me, dammit.

rooster

« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2013, 08:34:56 PM »
An old man and his cows. A tale of courage, faith, and love.

« Reply #22 on: September 10, 2013, 12:15:14 AM »

I just don't like it. Just like some people don't like brussel sprouts, I don't like meat.

It makes me feel sick looking at it.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #23 on: September 10, 2013, 04:57:42 AM »
The chief consideration for the care of animals is not whether they're intelligent but whether they suffer. It's for this reason I've largely cut meat out of my diet and haven't purchased any in a couple of years. For simplicity's sake I describe myself as 'vegetarian' but if someone has cooked me a meal without knowing my dietary considerations I'll still eat it because at that point the damage is done.

I also, where possible, restrict myself to free range eggs and dairy.

~

Also, whether a restaurant has any decent vegetarian choices is usually a good guide to whether the meat dishes will be any good. A chef who can't make a meal without meat as its main ingredient is a lazy/ uninspired chef.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #24 on: September 10, 2013, 08:09:22 AM »
:(

I bet well raised cattle taste yummy.

They really do. We didn't pump them full of antibiotics to fatten them up either. They just got plenty of high quality feed and a little patience. Commercial livestock is all about getting them up to a certain weight as fast as they can. They do that with chickens too. You can't buy a normal looking chicken in the grocery store, they're all huge mutant chickens.

Feed prices skyrocketed a couple years ago, so we had quit raising our own.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #25 on: September 10, 2013, 09:02:50 AM »
I don't believe they feed the cattle AB to fatten them up, but to protect them from the myriad diseases inherent with standing in a cramped dark room squashed against your neighbours and knee deep in feaces.

Rushy

« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2013, 09:17:41 AM »
She was probably referring to growth hormones and not antibiotics. Most people who raise livestock give them antibiotics.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #27 on: September 10, 2013, 10:05:46 AM »
No, they use antibiotics to fatten livestock.

http://www.nydailynews.com/life-style/health/farmers-giving-animals-antibiotics-earn-money-hurt-humans-35-year-old-debate-article-1.1065033
Antibiotics have been hailed as one of the greatest medical discoveries of the 20th century since their first use in humans in the 1940s. They've enabled doctors to cure deadly bacterial diseases like tuberculosis, typhoid fever and meningitis.

The FDA approved the use of antibiotics in livestock in the 1950s after studies showed that animals that got the drugs in their feed put on more weight in less time than animals on a traditional diet. For example, pigs that got an antibiotic were shown to need 10 to 15 percent less feed to reach the same weight as pigs on regular diets.

Since feed can account for as much as 70 percent of total animal production costs, the discovery was a windfall for farmers. It meant they could produce more meat for less money, resulting in fatter profits.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/healthnews/9493178/Livestock-antibiotics-could-have-contributed-to-human-obesity.html

Livestock antibiotics 'could have contributed to human obesity'

Farmers may have played their part in the obesity epidemic by fattening their livestock with antibiotics, a study suggests.

By altering the fine balance of gut bacteria which influence our metabolism, even small amounts of the drugs entering the food chain could have caused obesity rates to rise, researchers claim.

Although the use of antibiotics on farms is now banned in the EU due to the risk of germs becoming drug-resistant, it was commonplace in the 1950s and is still permitted in the US.

Prof Martin Blaser of New York University, who led the study, said: "The rise of obesity around the world is coincident with widespread antibiotic use, and our studies provide an experimental linkage.

"It is possible that early exposure to antibiotics primes children for obesity later in life."

For decades farmers in Britain and around the world fed low doses of antibiotics to cattle, sheep, pigs and chickens because the drug caused the animals to gain weight.

Rushy

« Reply #28 on: September 10, 2013, 10:07:46 AM »
Hm. Must have something to do with the lack of gut bacteria to eat up excess nutrients.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #29 on: September 11, 2013, 12:45:03 AM »
Like a man with orthopedic shoes I stand corrected.