If I jump in the air why doesn't the ground move @ 1000MPH?

• 1719 Replies
Re: If I jump in the air why doesn't the ground move @ 1000MPH?
« Reply #1650 on: January 14, 2014, 12:35:21 AM »
Do you agree with my  experimental setup ?
Can you now give some predictions, following your model ?
I'm sill not sure what you are getting at. Go through it clearly.
One car will be into the bottle simulating a closed bus, one out of it, as a reference. The two cars will be placed at the same starting location, just over the reference line. I will pull on the cardboard, simulating the bus acceleration.
What does your theory predict ?
What would be the speed direction and a rough estimate of the position of the two cars, related to the reference line ?

On other side :
Do you agree with these observations :

An object when pushed by a force or a bunch of unbalanced forces will start accelerating.
Yes.
The harder the push, the greater the acceleration
No.
This stance is a consequence of the previous one.
An object starts accelerating when a force is applied to it. Conversely, it does not accelerate without one. So If the force raises from 0 to something, the object acceleration raises from 0 to something.
Obviously acceleration and force are linked. Simple logic.
Direct observation says that too. When I hit the brakes of my car, the harder I brake, the greater the deceleration I get.
Heavier objects need more force than lighter ones to achieve the same acceleration.
no.
You agreed in a previous post. Why have you changed your mind ?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1651 on: January 14, 2014, 12:37:51 AM »
The flat earth purportedly accelerates at a 9.8 m/s^2 rate. If I stood there and look up I should feel a stronger and stronger wind coming downwards, as earth is rushing into the atmosphere. But it doesn't

This is all the proof you need to know the Earth cannot possibly be forever accelerating upwards.

I know this point has probably been brought up many times, but thought I would share it.

With a round Earth, now it makes sense. The Earth spins, that is it, simple. No UA, no proof of UA... while it is possible to prove the UA isn't there, you feel the wind and the Earth stays where it is.

The air is pushed upwards at the same rate as the Earth.  This is why we do not feel air rushing downwards.

I have another question. One problem that I have with the flat earth theory is that according to the flat earth theory, the Earth is constantly accelerating upward at 32 feet per second squared (9.8 meters per second squared). If this were true, we would always feel this constant movement since the human body senses acceleration. One example of this is when you drive a car. While accelerating, you can feel that you're moving. However, once you start moving at a constant velocity (i.e., when you're no longer accelerating), it feels as though you're not moving.

EDIT: removed extraneous information
And yet you don't seem to have any problem not noticing a so called 1038 mph so called equator spinning globe?
The saying is, those who have something to hide, will use any story no matter how outlandish, to keep that something hidden.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1652 on: January 14, 2014, 12:51:45 AM »
One car will be into the bottle simulating a closed bus, one out of it, as a reference. The two cars will be placed at the same starting location, just over the reference line. I will pull on the cardboard, simulating the bus acceleration.
What would be the speed direction and a rough estimate of the position of the two cars, related to the reference line ?
The car in the bottle will be pushed backwards towards the back of the bottle and the car outside will probably roll back at about, maybe half the distance.
That is a wild guess as I have never tried the experiment.
Anyway, try it and see.
Remember, you aren't fighting against me...you should be looking for the truth if you are a genuine person.

An object starts accelerating when a force is applied to it. Conversely, it does not accelerate without one. So If the force raises from 0 to something, the object acceleration raises from 0 to something.
Direct observation says that too. When I hit the brakes of my car, the harder I brake, the greater the deceleration I get.
Agreed for horizontal effort.

I haven't changed my mind. I accept it for horizontal movement, but that doesn't always apply to mass in terms of energy to move it, does it?
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 12:54:13 AM by sceptimatic »

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #1653 on: January 14, 2014, 02:43:31 AM »
How do you measure gravity?

Take a known mass and weigh it; time the swing of a pendulum of known mass; time the fall of a dropped object over a given distance.

EDIT: For the example of the table, the atmospheric pressure on the lower side of the table top (assuming still air and a 5cm thick table top) would be 0.6Pa greater than the atmospheric pressure on the top side. Over a 2m2 surface, this would be a total upwards force of 1.2N (about 0.26lbf).
Oh, so you swing a pendulum and time the fall and that's your gravity sorted, after weighing the object on scales that are calibrated under atmospheric pressure. Oh, ok.

I was just listing off 3 independent methods that can (and have) been used to measure gravity. There are probably others, each of which could be used on it's own or cross referenced with any of the others to ensure accuracy.

What is your take on the table having a nett upwards force being applied to it by air pressure?
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1654 on: January 14, 2014, 03:38:23 AM »
How do you measure gravity?

Take a known mass and weigh it; time the swing of a pendulum of known mass; time the fall of a dropped object over a given distance.

EDIT: For the example of the table, the atmospheric pressure on the lower side of the table top (assuming still air and a 5cm thick table top) would be 0.6Pa greater than the atmospheric pressure on the top side. Over a 2m2 surface, this would be a total upwards force of 1.2N (about 0.26lbf).
Oh, so you swing a pendulum and time the fall and that's your gravity sorted, after weighing the object on scales that are calibrated under atmospheric pressure. Oh, ok.

I was just listing off 3 independent methods that can (and have) been used to measure gravity. There are probably others, each of which could be used on it's own or cross referenced with any of the others to ensure accuracy.

What is your take on the table having a nett upwards force being applied to it by air pressure?
What makes you think there is an upward force acting under the table?
Explain how this upward force works?

« Reply #1655 on: January 14, 2014, 04:33:00 AM »
No.
Heavier objects need more force than lighter ones to achieve the same acceleration.
no.

Are you serious? I thought your intelligence couldnt surprise me anymore..
Very serious. Instead of getting all frustrated. Look into why I said it.

What? im not frustrated. As of why you said it, it could be anything, from you simply not understanding what force or acceleration mean (or you making up new concepts of it, which is kind of the same), to you thinking that pushing a car is just as hard as pushing your bike, I would be just guessing.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1656 on: January 14, 2014, 04:59:48 AM »
No.
no.

Are you serious? I thought your intelligence couldnt surprise me anymore..
Very serious. Instead of getting all frustrated. Look into why I said it.

What? im not frustrated. As of why you said it, it could be anything, from you simply not understanding what force or acceleration mean (or you making up new concepts of it, which is kind of the same), to you thinking that pushing a car is just as hard as pushing your bike, I would be just guessing.
I've never mentioned pushing a car is as hard as pushing a bike. The trouble with you people is, you never take notice of what's been said and you go straight into twist mode thinking it's going to give you more credence. Stop getting so frustrated, you want the truth don't you? or are you here to be part of the mocking brigade?

« Reply #1657 on: January 14, 2014, 05:03:21 AM »
The car in the bottle will be pushed backwards towards the back of the bottle and the car outside will probably roll back at about, maybe half the distance.
That is a wild guess as I have never tried the experiment.
Anyway, try it and see.
Remember, you aren't fighting against me...you should be looking for the truth if you are a genuine person.
Let me summarize :
Both cars will go backwards, the outer one about half the distance, correct ?
And this is not a fight, by far.

Agreed for horizontal effort.

I haven't changed my mind. I accept it for horizontal movement, but that doesn't always apply to mass in terms of energy to move it, does it?
Please don't confuse me with other concepts. We are talking about forces, not energy. I hope we'll agree that these are two different things.
So you agree that there is a relationship between  the acceleration of an object, its mass and the force applied on it. At least for horizontal movements.

Now why is this different with vertical movements ?
The heavier the object, the harder we have to push it upwards to accelerate it at the same rate, isn't it ?

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #1658 on: January 14, 2014, 05:23:18 AM »
Everyone wants the truth scepti. Your ideas are far removed from that. Just because they are an alternative doesn't make them any more viable especially considering how incoherent and inconsistent they are.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1659 on: January 14, 2014, 05:31:17 AM »
Please don't confuse me with other concepts. We are talking about forces, not energy. I hope we'll agree that these are two different things.
So you agree that there is a relationship between  the acceleration of an object, its mass and the force applied on it. At least for horizontal movements.
You don't create a force without energy and you don't create energy without a force.

The heavier the object, the harder we have to push it upwards to accelerate it at the same rate, isn't it ?
Yes it is, but it doesn't work the same downwards, does it..and this is the argument in truth, because you call this the force of gravity and I call it denpressure.
Your gravity has no real explanation for why all this happens and mine does, yet mine is discarded and yours isn't. Why?
The simple answer is, you are a voice of the mass believers.

Any object that is heavier than the atmosphere it is in, will naturally stay at the bottom. Not because of fake gravity but because of the nature of how elements compact into their dense states.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #1660 on: January 14, 2014, 05:41:45 AM »
You don't create a force without energy and you don't create energy without a force.

Yes it is, but it doesn't work the same downwards, does it..and this is the argument in truth, because you call this the force of gravity and I call it denpressure.
Your gravity has no real explanation for why all this happens and mine does, yet mine is discarded and yours isn't. Why?

Any object that is heavier than the atmosphere it is in, will naturally stay at the bottom. Not because of fake gravity but because of the nature of how elements compact into their dense states.

Einstein didn't come up with an explanation for gravity? News to me.

« Reply #1661 on: January 14, 2014, 06:14:30 AM »

So we agree that force and energy are different concepts.  Maybe linked but different.

I'll still don't see the point. If an object is falling and I add some downward force on it, it will accelerate more. The name of the force doesn't bother me. But the idea is still valid.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1662 on: January 14, 2014, 06:21:37 AM »

So we agree that force and energy are different concepts.  Maybe linked but different.

I'll still don't see the point. If an object is falling and I add some downward force on it, it will accelerate more. The name of the force doesn't bother me. But the idea is still valid.
How do you add force to a falling object?

?

BJ1234

« Reply #1663 on: January 14, 2014, 06:26:59 AM »

By pulling down on it with a string?
By having a jet engine on it pointing down?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1664 on: January 14, 2014, 06:37:46 AM »

Good luck pulling the string on a falling object.

So a jet engine put on it, adds force, by using energy to make an object move faster downwards and it would have to add the same force on any object it moved downwards to gain the same speed.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #1665 on: January 14, 2014, 06:45:07 AM »
Good luck pulling a string on a falling object? Is scepti serious?

Here is how I can make an object fall faster than 9.8 m/s/s.

I can just throw it at the ground rather than dropping it.

« Reply #1666 on: January 14, 2014, 06:47:51 AM »

the simpler and more accurate answer being because denpressure has no explanation for why downwards should be special.

Which raises the question yet again which is WHY would dense things naturally move to the bottom?

what could cause this....

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #1667 on: January 14, 2014, 06:53:45 AM »
Unfortunately spank he can't answer those questions and that is why he has blocked us. You either let him win or if you beat him he'll block you and say it's because you're an indoctrinated fool. Or maybe he just can't answer the question, and blocking you us just a way of avoiding tough questions.

?

BJ1234

« Reply #1668 on: January 14, 2014, 06:59:31 AM »

Tell me why you wouldn't be able to?

Tell me why, if I drop something above my head, I am able to, with the same had that dropped it, reach down and catch that object?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1669 on: January 14, 2014, 07:08:55 AM »

Tell me why, if I drop something above my head, I am able to, with the same had that dropped it, reach down and catch that object?
Because your arm movement to hand has enough energy to move faster than the ball.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #1670 on: January 14, 2014, 07:35:03 AM »

Because your arm movement to hand has enough energy to move faster than the ball.

Then why did he ask how you add force to a falling object? Your arm is a falling object with added force.

« Reply #1671 on: January 14, 2014, 08:04:47 AM »
Unfortunately spank he can't answer those questions and that is why he has blocked us. You either let him win or if you beat him he'll block you and say it's because you're an indoctrinated fool. Or maybe he just can't answer the question, and blocking you us just a way of avoiding tough questions.

I believe there's a post from him somewhere back stating he never loses debates, he always wins because those debating with him either go off crying or block him and give up and he classes that as a win.

By his standards He's lost the debate with us.

Drop a balloon and as it slowly falls pull on the string and it will fall faster.

job done.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:06:52 AM by Spank86 »

?

BJ1234

« Reply #1672 on: January 14, 2014, 08:13:25 AM »

Now tell me, if there was a string attached from the object I dropped to my finger, why wouldn't the string pull on the object?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1673 on: January 14, 2014, 08:30:51 AM »

Now tell me, if there was a string attached from the object I dropped to my finger, why wouldn't the string pull on the object?
It would.
The trouble with you lot is, you jump straight in like crocodiles without even think for a few minutes as to what I'm trying to say, because your minds aren't focused on looking into alternatives. Your focus is entirely on trying to make me look a fool and back slapping each other if you think you're getting there.

Because you all do this, I just sit back and smile, just waiting for when one of you actually gets what I mean or sees what I'm getting at.
Your minds are so saturated in the science you've been geared to accept that you immediately go on the defensive of it.
This site has helped most of you in terms of being forced to google just about everything you are arguing against and it's poisoning your minds because you are simply following what's said without thinking.

It's the very reason the others got ignored. They became too frustrated and started the old ridicule attempts and I promised I wouldn't play them at their own game, so all I had left was the ignore.

« Reply #1674 on: January 14, 2014, 08:35:06 AM »
The alternative view being that we looked out the window and nothing in reality acted in the way scepti said it should, we then looked at the ramification of his theory and realized that with a simple bit of extrapolation the results would be absurd but Sceptui got annoyed when this was pointed out and so decided cry and take his ball home.

« Reply #1675 on: January 14, 2014, 08:40:22 AM »
I have another question. One problem that I have with the flat earth theory is that according to the flat earth theory, the Earth is constantly accelerating upward at 32 feet per second squared (9.8 meters per second squared). If this were true, we would always feel this constant movement since the human body senses acceleration. One example of this is when you drive a car. While accelerating, you can feel that you're moving. However, once you start moving at a constant velocity (i.e., when you're no longer accelerating), it feels as though you're not moving.

And yet you don't seem to have any problem not noticing a so called 1038 mph so called equator spinning globe?
The saying is, those who have something to hide, will use any story no matter how outlandish, to keep that something hidden.

Correct, I don't have a problem not noticing the rotation. Since the Earth is rotating at a constant velocity, we feel as though we're not moving. Refer to the end of example that I included in my previous post:

While accelerating, you can feel that you're moving. However, once you start moving at a constant velocity (i.e., when you're no longer accelerating), it feels as though you're not moving.

It's not an outlandish concept to understand, especially since it's the same idea as the car example.

EDIT: reworded for clarity
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:45:33 AM by TPMS »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1676 on: January 14, 2014, 08:46:37 AM »

Correct, I don't have a problem not noticing the rotation. Since the Earth is rotating at a constant velocity, we do not feel as though we're moving. Refer to the end of example that I included in my previous post:

While accelerating, you can feel that you're moving. However, once you start moving at a constant velocity (i.e., when you're no longer accelerating), it feels as though you're not moving.

It's not an outlandish concept to understand, especially since it's the same idea as the car example.
I'm well aware it's not outlandish to you and others. It's because you stick rigidly to what's been implanted into your minds and never wavering from it.
Your own body balance and your own eyes should tell you their own story, but the problem is, you believed those in the suits and overcoats and like addicts, it's a hard habit to break, but you can be weaned off of it if you want to. It's down to you.
Most addicts will happily carry on being addicts if there's someone to keep feeding them their drug.
The ones that are willing to walk away to cold turkey are the ones that will eventually see the bigger picture.

« Reply #1677 on: January 14, 2014, 08:54:24 AM »

Correct, I don't have a problem not noticing the rotation. Since the Earth is rotating at a constant velocity, we do not feel as though we're moving. Refer to the end of example that I included in my previous post:

I'm well aware it's not outlandish to you and others. It's because you stick rigidly to what's been implanted into your minds and never wavering from it.
Your own body balance and your own eyes should tell you their own story, but the problem is, you believed those in the suits and overcoats and like addicts, it's a hard habit to break, but you can be weaned off of it if you want to. It's down to you.
Most addicts will happily carry on being addicts if there's someone to keep feeding them their drug.
The ones that are willing to walk away to cold turkey are the ones that will eventually see the bigger picture.

You still haven't answered my question. The reason that I'm asking you questions is because I'm interested in understanding what your thoughts are on your side. I'm not asking you questions to insult you, and I haven't insulted you like you've been doing to me and some other people. I don't insult or make fun of people that I have debates with since it does not contribute to positive discussion.

Also, I'm not "[sticking] rigidly to what's been implanted into [my] mind." I've evaluated both stances (i.e., Earth is flat, and Earth is spherical) and all of the evidence and arguments that support both sides, and I've chosen the side that I believe has the most compelling evidence, which is that Earth is spherical. As a method of further evaluating my stance, I'm asking you questions on the opposing belief.

EDIT: I realized that I did not actually pose a question in the post that this discussion originates from, but it was implied from the wording of my post. For clarification, the question that I meant to ask was "If Earth is truly accelerating upward, why do we not feel this motion?"
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 08:59:17 AM by TPMS »

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1678 on: January 14, 2014, 08:58:57 AM »
You still haven't answered my question. The reason that I'm asking you questions is because I'm interested in understanding what your thoughts are on your side. I'm not asking you questions to insult you, and I haven't insulted you like you've been doing to me and some other people. I don't insult or make fun of people that I have debates with since it does not contribute to positive discussion.

Also, I'm not "[sticking] rigidly to what's been implanted into [my] mind." I've evaluated both stances (i.e., Earth is flat, and Earth is spherical) and all of the evidence and arguments that support both sides, and I've chosen the side that I believe has the most compelling evidence, which is that Earth is spherical. As a method of further evaluating my stance, I'm asking you questions on the opposing belief.
I wasn't meaning you at this point, I was on about the 3 I ignored.
You can ask me as many questions as you want and if you do it clearly and take the time to absorb them, I will answer ANY question you want. All I ask if that you give it some deep thought and do not do it if you are trying to marry it up with what you've been taught because that will confuse the issue. Do it with as clear a mind as you can. that's all I ask of anyone.

« Reply #1679 on: January 14, 2014, 09:07:27 AM »
Please go back and answer the satellite topic.

Why, when the pressure is the same above and below an object, does it fall?