If I jump in the air why doesn't the ground move @ 1000MPH?

• 1719 Replies

ausGeoff

Re: If I jump in the air why doesn't the ground move @ 1000MPH?
« Reply #1320 on: January 11, 2014, 05:45:38 AM »

The difference is, I am making my case with logical explanations. You lot are making your case with illogical explanations.

Nope.  This statement lacks any logic at all.  I'm beginning to think that your comprehension of logic is very poor.

I'm maintaining they do not exist because they do not exist.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1321 on: January 11, 2014, 05:47:51 AM »

We weigh ourselves and some people weigh heavier that are taller and smaller and it can be said that any person has more mass or is more dense than the other or it can be said that they weigh more.

You're still confusing weight with mass,  They're two totally different things.  In a scientific context, mass refers to the amount of "matter" in an object,  whereas weight refers to the force experienced by an object due to gravity.

And again, density has NOTHING to do with mass per se.
Of course, in your gravity world, they mean different. In my real world they are basically the end product of the same thing, but of course, even I can use mass, density and weight to describe anything, which I will.

I can say that something of the same size as another thing is heavier because it's more dense, then explain that it's more compressed elements into the same sized object making it more dense adding weight to the scales. Etc.
Life is so much more simpler than is made out. The science world makes it ridiculous because it keeps the sheep as sheep in the main.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #1322 on: January 11, 2014, 05:54:28 AM »

So the void is created by the air moving back, and this is what pushes you back, yet when the void gets filled up, the air doesn't push you forward at all?  Why would the air be able to push you in one direction, but not in the other?
The air being pushed back, compresses against you, forcing you back and as it does so, it creates a LOWER pressure at the very front that is immediately filled all the time the bus is accelerating. As soon as the bus stops accelerating, the compressed air equalizes which you feel as the weight coming off of you.
It's much simpler, scepti.  When a bus accelerates, it pushes on you, and you feel it.  When it stops accelerating, it stops pushing you, cause you're just moving along with it.
To disprove this, all you need to do is sit on that bus with a cup of water and as it accelerates forward, tell me which way the water swills out.
Wear waterproof trousers, because it's coming at you not being pushed forward.
You see, the water is trying to stay the way it is, and if the bus accelerates forward, it pushes me into the cup of water.  The water isn't being pushed backwards.  If you move forwards, everything around you looks like it's going backwards.  It's the same with the water.  If you are pushed fowards, the water looks like it's being pushed backwards, when it's actually trying to hold steady.
The next time you are on a bus or some kind of transport with a table that is bolted down...pour a little bit of water onto the table before the vehicle sets off.
Now you are not touching the table and the water is simply on the table, so what you will notice as the vehicle accelerates is that the water starts to head in your direction, assuming you are facing the way the vehicle is moving.
Anything not bolted down will be PUSHED in the opposite direction to which the vehicle accelerates as long as it is heavier than air.
Anything not bolted down will sit still while the vehicle accelerates.  The "opposite motion" is only relative to the vehicle accelerating.  If you were to have a glass box on wheels, and you put water, or a ball in the vehicle, and you pushed that vehicle, you'd see from the outside that the water and the ball will stay still while the vehicle moves, until friction between the ball or water causes it to slowly move in the direction of the vehicle.  Only when you're on that vehicle, will the ball and water appear to move backwards, but there is in reality, no force pulling them against the vehicles' acceleration.  This pulling force you describe, is what inertia is all about.  But as you said, if it isn't a force it isn't a word, so nothing is pulling on those objects.  The pulling is an illusion.  The "G forces" felt by pilots are also the same kind of illusion.

The reason we give names to these things, despite them not really existing, is for engineering purposes.  Because they act like real forces, we can treat them like real forces when designing machines that deal with lots of acceleration and sharp turns, like roller coasters, race tracks, airplanes etc...  and it all works out.

This all comes down to Newton's simple first law of motion:  Objects at rest or moving steadily, will stay at rest or moving steadily unless acted on by an unbalanced force.  In the case of the bus, your water on the table has no way of receiving any kind of force from the bus other than through friction.  So when the bus accelerates, the water doesn't.   With the table cloth example, the only force between the cloth and the objects on the table is friction, and if you pull the cloth out quickly enough, that force is applied only briefly.  Too quickly for the objects to react catastrophically.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1323 on: January 11, 2014, 05:55:34 AM »

People only know what they read about and are told about and it goes for everything  [...]

Can you tell us exactly what sources you utilised to gain the knowledge that you currently have?  Presumably you didn't learn it from books, or teachers?  What other sources are there—the ones you used?
My own perception of things, based on the happenings in this world of ours on a daily basis. Piecing together the idle pub talk fantasies of the media and those who coax them into reporting those fantasies.
Thinks like Richard the thirds skeleton found under a car park. Absolutely fu...fu....ridiculous and yet the open mouthed brigade are all over it like a rash with " wow" how did they find that.
What people believe, unconditionally, beggars belief but there you go, it happens in abundance and it appears that mainstream media and the science world, etc, can spout off any nonsense they want, no matter how stupid it looks, because they know that the masses will swallow it all up like hungry puppies.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1324 on: January 11, 2014, 06:08:50 AM »

So the void is created by the air moving back, and this is what pushes you back, yet when the void gets filled up, the air doesn't push you forward at all?  Why would the air be able to push you in one direction, but not in the other?
The air being pushed back, compresses against you, forcing you back and as it does so, it creates a LOWER pressure at the very front that is immediately filled all the time the bus is accelerating. As soon as the bus stops accelerating, the compressed air equalizes which you feel as the weight coming off of you.
It's much simpler, scepti.  When a bus accelerates, it pushes on you, and you feel it.  When it stops accelerating, it stops pushing you, cause you're just moving along with it.
To disprove this, all you need to do is sit on that bus with a cup of water and as it accelerates forward, tell me which way the water swills out.
Wear waterproof trousers, because it's coming at you not being pushed forward.
You see, the water is trying to stay the way it is, and if the bus accelerates forward, it pushes me into the cup of water.  The water isn't being pushed backwards.  If you move forwards, everything around you looks like it's going backwards.  It's the same with the water.  If you are pushed fowards, the water looks like it's being pushed backwards, when it's actually trying to hold steady.
The next time you are on a bus or some kind of transport with a table that is bolted down...pour a little bit of water onto the table before the vehicle sets off.
Now you are not touching the table and the water is simply on the table, so what you will notice as the vehicle accelerates is that the water starts to head in your direction, assuming you are facing the way the vehicle is moving.
Anything not bolted down will be PUSHED in the opposite direction to which the vehicle accelerates as long as it is heavier than air.
Anything not bolted down will sit still while the vehicle accelerates.  The "opposite motion" is only relative to the vehicle accelerating.  If you were to have a glass box on wheels, and you put water, or a ball in the vehicle, and you pushed that vehicle, you'd see from the outside that the water and the ball will stay still while the vehicle moves, until friction between the ball or water causes it to slowly move in the direction of the vehicle.  Only when you're on that vehicle, will the ball and water appear to move backwards, but there is in reality, no force pulling them against the vehicles' acceleration.  This pulling force you describe, is what inertia is all about.  But as you said, if it isn't a force it isn't a word, so nothing is pulling on those objects.  The pulling is an illusion.  The "G forces" felt by pilots are also the same kind of illusion.

The reason we give names to these things, despite them not really existing, is for engineering purposes.  Because they act like real forces, we can treat them like real forces when designing machines that deal with lots of acceleration and sharp turns, like roller coasters, race tracks, airplanes etc...  and it all works out.

This all comes down to Newton's simple first law of motion:  Objects at rest or moving steadily, will stay at rest or moving steadily unless acted on by an unbalanced force.  In the case of the bus, your water on the table has no way of receiving any kind of force from the bus other than through friction.  So when the bus accelerates, the water doesn't.   With the table cloth example, the only force between the cloth and the objects on the table is friction, and if you pull the cloth out quickly enough, that force is applied only briefly.  Too quickly for the objects to react catastrophically.
I'd love to answer what you put but I don't see the point when you actually believe that there is NO FORCE at all and things just happen.
Why can't you search your logic and go over what you've put because (no offence) most of it just makes no sense at all.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #1325 on: January 11, 2014, 06:20:51 AM »
I didn't say nothing happens.  You must have completely misunderstood.  For someone who says he's got an open mind, you certainly know how to either completely miss or dismiss things.  I even gave you an experiment to demonstrate how it works.

If you accelerate forwards, does the rest of the world not look like it's accelerating backwards relative to you?

ausGeoff

« Reply #1326 on: January 11, 2014, 06:27:39 AM »

My own perception of things, based on the happenings in this world of ours on a daily basis. Piecing together the idle pub talk fantasies of the media and those who coax them into reporting those fantasies.

So your entire knowledge base is built upon your personal interpretation of "pub talk" and "media fantasies"?

Gee... what a fabulous scientific education.  Why did I waste all those years at university when I could have learned everything by reading the local rag over a pint at my local pub?

Silly me.

ausGeoff

« Reply #1327 on: January 11, 2014, 06:35:06 AM »

I'd love to answer what you put but I don't see the point when you actually believe that there is NO FORCE at all and things just happen.

This will possibly make little sense to you, but here goes.  I'm standing in that bus, and it's velocity is constant at 35mph, and it's travelling in a straight line.  I'm holding a tennis ball.

I throw that ball upwards a couple of feet, and catch it.

The one and ONLY force acting on that ball whilst it's in the air is the force of gravity.

(The bus could be travelling at 100mph or 5mph, or it could be accelerating or decelerating.  Doesn't make any difference to the ball.)

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #1328 on: January 11, 2014, 06:39:03 AM »
The Earth purportedly "spins" at 1000 MPH at the equator. If I stood there and jumped in the air, I would land in the same place. Even a quick jump in the air should make a few feet pass beneath me, but it doesn't.

This is all the proof you need to know the Earth cannot possibly be spinning.

You don't stop moving when you jump for the same reason a baseball doesn't stop as soon as it leaves the pitcher's hand.  All your live you live on the spinning earth.  The earth carries you with it and as it does so you have kinetic energy.  When you jump, that kinetic energy doesn't vanish magically.  You travel at the same speed you were when you were on the ground.

ausGeoff

« Reply #1329 on: January 11, 2014, 06:55:48 AM »

You don't stop moving when you jump for the same reason a baseball doesn't stop as soon as it leaves the pitcher's hand.

Exactly.  Similar to my tennis ball.  The only force acting on your body whilst you're in the air is a vertical one.  Gravity.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1330 on: January 11, 2014, 06:56:36 AM »
I didn't say nothing happens.  You must have completely misunderstood.  For someone who says he's got an open mind, you certainly know how to either completely miss or dismiss things.  I even gave you an experiment to demonstrate how it works.

If you accelerate forwards, does the rest of the world not look like it's accelerating backwards relative to you?
Ok, here's how this all works.
First of all, discard this relative to this and that, stuff, because all it's going to do is cloud the real issue which is what really happens, not what looks to happen from another vantage point.

Going back to the bus:
Why do buses have strong windscreens and fronts. Why don't they just have plastic windscreens?
Obviously we know the answer to that. It's because the bus when travelling against the air will compress the air directly in front of it and put too much pressure on plastic, making the plastic PUSH back into the bus.
If this happens, you can understand how it would naturally compress the air inside of the bus as it's took a small area of the air up inside but equalized from the outside by the air being caught in the plastic windscreen outside.
Luckily bus windows are strong glass and CURVED which reduces the force/friction on the windscreen and deflects it around the bus along the sides, where it meets up with the low pressure which is created at the back and fills it, equalizing it.
For every action, there is an equal and opposite reaction.
Inside the bus, a similar thing is happening, only this time it's in a different way to how we naturally perceive it, because this time we are sat in a container, so the acceleration of the bus will always go faster than the air inside of it as long as it keeps accelerating, but that leaves a low pressure because the air hits the back of the bus all the way up to the front of the bus, inside all following the same path because the bus is going faster than all of the air along the bus inside of it, which creates a low pressure at the front that must be equalized and is, very quickly.
If the bus keeps accelerating, then this keeps happening...but not without consequence, to us. We feel that pressure because it's building up slowly on us if we are slowly accelerating on that bus, but if the bus sets off fast, we feel a much bigger compressed air force against our bodies which jolts us back until that bus changes gear and at that point, the air will decompress or move to equalize the low pressure at the front, forcing you forward a little.

Next time you are on a bus, take into account of all this stuff and you will see what I'm saying.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1331 on: January 11, 2014, 07:00:35 AM »

So your entire knowledge base is built upon your personal interpretation of "pub talk" and "media fantasies"?

Gee... what a fabulous scientific education.  Why did I waste all those years at university when I could have learned everything by reading the local rag over a pint at my local pub?

Silly me.
It's entirely up to you if you want to allow yourself to be indoctrinated and lose your own free will and free mind to think for YOURSELF and question the stuff they hammer into your brain on a daily basis.
You carry on. I'm fine with it.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1332 on: January 11, 2014, 07:05:49 AM »

This will possibly make little sense to you, but here goes.  I'm standing in that bus, and it's velocity is constant at 35mph, and it's travelling in a straight line.  I'm holding a tennis ball.

I throw that ball upwards a couple of feet, and catch it.

The one and ONLY force acting on that ball whilst it's in the air is the force of gravity.

(The bus could be travelling at 100mph or 5mph, or it could be accelerating or decelerating.  Doesn't make any difference to the ball.)

Get a van and have someone sit next to you with that tennis ball.
As you accelerate quickly, tell them to throw that tennis ball into the air and I guarantee you that they will not catch it, as long as you accelerate at a good rate of speed.
Go on, try it.
The only time that person will catch it with ease, is when you are close to or at a steady speed.
Don't take my word for it, try it and that goes for anyone else.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1333 on: January 11, 2014, 07:10:09 AM »
The Earth purportedly "spins" at 1000 MPH at the equator. If I stood there and jumped in the air, I would land in the same place. Even a quick jump in the air should make a few feet pass beneath me, but it doesn't.

You don't stop moving when you jump for the same reason a baseball doesn't stop as soon as it leaves the pitcher's hand.  All your live you live on the spinning earth.  The earth carries you with it and as it does so you have kinetic energy.  When you jump, that kinetic energy doesn't vanish magically.  You travel at the same speed you were when you were on the ground.
You only travel at the same speed as anything as long as you are part of it, as in, in a steady moving bus.
If you jumped up, you would naturally fall back to the same spot, because you are not in the air long enough for it to make any difference to your perceived view.
If you could jump for a few seconds, you would certainly know about it and so would the back of the bus, dependent on it's speed.
You need to rethink your science.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1334 on: January 11, 2014, 07:11:16 AM »

You don't stop moving when you jump for the same reason a baseball doesn't stop as soon as it leaves the pitcher's hand.

Exactly.  Similar to my tennis ball.  The only force acting on your body whilst you're in the air is a vertical one.  Gravity.
The force is all around you. It's atmospheric pressure. there is no such thing as gravity.

ausGeoff

« Reply #1335 on: January 11, 2014, 07:18:58 AM »

Why don't they just have plastic windscreens?

Because—plastic is is far too flimsy.

If this happens, you can understand how it would naturally compress the air inside of the bus as it's took a small area of the air up inside but equalized from the outside by the air being caught in the plastic windscreen outside.

Nope.  You still don't understand that you cannot compress the air in the bus by any means.  The air inside the bus is at an identical atmospheric pressure to the air outside the bus.  And this never varies.

Luckily bus windows are strong glass and CURVED which reduces the force/friction on the windscreen and deflects it around the bus along the sides, where it meets up with the low pressure which is created at the back and fills it, equalizing it.

Nope. The curvature, or flatness of the windscreen has nothing to do with any air pressure variations either inside or outside of the bus.  Friction doesn't even enter into the equation.

Absolutely correct.  But you don't understand how to apply this law (Newton's third).

Inside the bus, a similar thing is happening, only this time it's in a different way to how we naturally perceive it, because this time we are sat in a container, so the acceleration of the bus will always go faster than the air inside of it as long as it keeps accelerating, but that leaves a low pressure because the air hits the back of the bus all the way up to the front of the bus, inside all following the same path because the bus is going faster than all of the air along the bus inside of it, which creates a low pressure at the front that must be equalized and is, very quickly.

Nope.  As I've already said—several times—the atmospheric air pressure inside the bus is exactly the same as the air pressure outside the bus.  It never varies, and is consistent throughout the entire interior of the bus.  The velocity, or the acceleration or braking of the bus has no effect on the air within the bus.

We feel that pressure because it's building up slowly on us if we are slowly accelerating on that bus, but if the bus sets off fast, we feel a much bigger compressed air force against our bodies which jolts us back until that bus changes gear and at that point, the air will decompress or move to equalize the low pressure at the front, forcing you forward a little.

Nope.  One does not feel any "compressed" air force against one's body.  It's due solely to your body's inertia that you're "jolted" back into your seat. In other words, your body is initially failing to oppose the effects of an external applied force.  And once the bus attains a constant speed, your body is moving at the same speed as the bus (obviously!) so you don't feel the effects of inertia, until after the bus brakes and stops.  At that point (during braking) you body's momentum tends to make you lurch forward.

ausGeoff

« Reply #1336 on: January 11, 2014, 07:25:42 AM »

The only time that person will catch it with ease, is when you are close to or at a steady speed.

Nope again!  The path of the ball has nothing whatsoever to do with either the velocity or the acceleration of the van.  Until you can understand and accept that gravity is the ONLY force acting on the ball in mid-air, you'll never come to grips with the physics of this scenario.

ausGeoff

« Reply #1337 on: January 11, 2014, 07:28:39 AM »

If you could jump for a few seconds, you would certainly know about it and so would the back of the bus, dependent on it's speed.

Nope.  Absolutely against all known laws of physics.  When you jump in the bus, you land in precisely the same spot you jumped from.  Fact.  Believe it or not.

Ahhh... the delicious irony.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #1338 on: January 11, 2014, 07:30:30 AM »

Ok, here's how this all works.
First of all, discard this relative to this and that, stuff, because all it's going to do is cloud the real issue which is what really happens, not what looks to happen from another vantage point.
  Actually it is important.  Ignoring the concept of relative motion is causing you to invent bizarre aerodynamic effects.  As long as you do this, you can't, without hypocrisy, accuse anyone else of inventing things like gravity and inertia.

Going back to the bus:
Why do buses have strong windscreens and fronts. Why don't they just have plastic windscreens?
Obviously we know the answer to that. It's because the bus when travelling against the air will compress the air directly in front of it and put too much pressure on plastic, making the plastic PUSH back into the bus.
  all of which is true actually.
interesting that you dismiss newtons first law, but have no problem invoking his third law
Inside the bus, a similar thing is happening, only this time it's in a different way to how we naturally perceive it, because this time we are sat in a container, so the acceleration of the bus will always go faster than the air inside of it
Yeah, the air has a relative speed to the bus going backwards because of this. I've basically been telling you exactly what you've said here, only this effect applies to everthing in the bus, and not just the air inside.  The air is trying to hold still as dictated by newton's first law, and the acceleration of the bus is applying force to it at the back, creating this higher air pressure in the back, making the air go with the bus.  You've made air magically special here, when there's no need.  The acceleration of the bus will "always go faster than" the people as well, which is why we feel like we're being pulled back.
as long as it keeps accelerating, but that leaves a low pressure because the air hits the back of the bus all the way up to the front of the bus, inside all following the same path because the bus is going faster than all of the air along the bus inside of it, which creates a low pressure at the front that must be equalized and is, very quickly.
If the bus keeps accelerating, then this keeps happening...but not without consequence, to us. We feel that pressure because it's building up slowly on us if we are slowly accelerating on that bus, but if the bus sets off fast, we feel a much bigger compressed air force against our bodies which jolts us back until that bus changes gear and at that point, the air will decompress or move to equalize the low pressure at the front, forcing you forward a little.
  You can't feel air pressure this way.  If air pushes on us, we feel wind, but when a bus accelerates, I don't feel any wind.  If there's more air pressure in front of you than behind, the air will just flow around you.  You're right about the existence of pressure caused by the bus's acceleration, but that's not what we're feeling.

Next time you are on a bus, take into account of all this stuff and you will see what I'm saying.
I can already identify every effect I feel on the bus, or any other vehicle.  Heck even if I go to space, I'll know exactly what the spaceship is doing based on feel alone.  Relative motion has everything to do with what forces you feel in a moving vehicle.  By the way, The equal and opposite reaction thing doesn't connect the pressure outside the bus with the pressure inside.  It just happens that the air both outside and inside the bus is trying to hold still.  The air outside can flow around the bus, but the air inside is trapped, so it has to accelerate with the bus.  People outside the bus are standing still, but people standing inside the bus need to hold on or they will be standing still too while the bus starts moving.

Here's an experiment.  Try putting a ball on a table, and give the table a good shove.  You'll see the ball rolls backwards relative to the table, but not to you or the floor.  The same thing will happen if you have that ball inside a container.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2014, 07:32:16 AM by Nolhekh »

ausGeoff

« Reply #1339 on: January 11, 2014, 07:31:42 AM »

The force is all around you. It's atmospheric pressure. there is no such thing as gravity.

Again!  Pressure does not equal force.  They're two entirely different things.  If it wasn't for the force of gravity, you and your house and your cat would be flung off into orbit in a couple of microseconds LOL.

?

Nolhekh

• Animator
« Reply #1340 on: January 11, 2014, 07:38:37 AM »

You only travel at the same speed as anything as long as you are part of it, as in, in a steady moving bus.
If you jumped up, you would naturally fall back to the same spot, because you are not in the air long enough for it to make any difference to your perceived view.

Why would you fall back to the same spot, if there's no force making you do this?  You're kinetic energy would be magically disappearing.

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #1341 on: January 11, 2014, 07:41:10 AM »
The easy way to tell if the pressure is different in the front of the bus as the back is with a barometer. Actually guess what, I have a real world example. As a naval meteorologist we use barometers on carriers all day long. We use the barometer inside our office to measure the pressure outside. Crazy huh? The barometer just needs to be placed at the same height as the flight deck.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1342 on: January 11, 2014, 07:42:46 AM »

Nope again!  The path of the ball has nothing whatsoever to do with either the velocity or the acceleration of the van.  Until you can understand and accept that gravity is the ONLY force acting on the ball in mid-air, you'll never come to grips with the physics of this scenario.
Until you accept that gravity and inertia are a scientific lie, you will never get to grips with reality.

ausGeoff

« Reply #1343 on: January 11, 2014, 07:45:31 AM »

Why would you fall back to the same spot, if there's no force making you do this?  You're kinetic energy would be magically disappearing.

There is a force operating on your body.  Gravity is acting vertically, and obviously you land in the same spot (assuming of course the ball is thrown exactly vertically).  There are no horizontal forces acting on your body.

ausGeoff

« Reply #1344 on: January 11, 2014, 07:47:30 AM »

The barometer just needs to be placed at the same height as the flight deck.

Exactly as I'd expect your scenario to play out.  Altitude must be constant.

ausGeoff

« Reply #1345 on: January 11, 2014, 07:50:52 AM »

Until you accept that gravity and inertia are a scientific lie, you will never get to grips with reality.

Can you please post some viable evidence that supports your viewpoint that gravity and inertia do not exist?

Or, can you give us the names of any accredited scientists who also hold this view?

And what, precisely, has led you to the opinion that these two theories are "lies"?  Any documentation?  Any YouTube links?

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1346 on: January 11, 2014, 07:51:12 AM »
The easy way to tell if the pressure is different in the front of the bus as the back is with a barometer. Actually guess what, I have a real world example. As a naval meteorologist we use barometers on carriers all day long. We use the barometer inside our office to measure the pressure outside. Crazy huh? The barometer just needs to be placed at the same height as the flight deck.
Excellent idea. Now we know that it measures atmospheric pressure and not gravity, right? or inertia. Are we settled on this?

?

rottingroom

• Around the world.
« Reply #1347 on: January 11, 2014, 07:52:39 AM »
Yes a barometer measures atmospheric pressure. Was anybody disagreeing about this?

ausGeoff

« Reply #1348 on: January 11, 2014, 07:56:30 AM »

Excellent idea. Now we know that it measures atmospheric pressure and not gravity, right? or inertia. Are we settled on this?

Nobody here ever said that a barometer measured gravity or inertia.  You must be hallucinating LOL.

sceptimatic

• Flat Earth Scientist
« Reply #1349 on: January 11, 2014, 07:57:19 AM »

Can you please post some viable evidence that supports your viewpoint that gravity and inertia do not exist?

Or, can you give us the names of any accredited scientists who also hold this view?

And what, precisely, has led you to the opinion that these two theories are "lies"?  Any documentation?  Any YouTube links?
Rottingroom and anyone else can prove it by using a barometer.

Two barometers would be better inside a car or a bus or whatever.

One on the dashboard and one at the back of the vehicle.
All that needs to be done is for someone to watch the changes in pressure.

Here's what should happen.
On immediate acceleration...the barometer at the front should register a very quick low pressure.
The one at the back should register a higher pressure.
If someone could do a steady acceleration around a track or very long road, you should see a steady increase in barometric pressure at the back of the vehicle.

Now slow down and the opposite should happen.
It's an excellent experiment.