I HATE ANIMAL RIGHTS

• 69 Replies

beast

I HATE ANIMAL RIGHTS
« Reply #60 on: November 09, 2006, 05:48:02 PM »
Well apparently until recently David Beckham used kangaroo skin soccer boots.  The Adidas Predator uses kangaroo leather apparently.  Not sure what else it's used for.

The articles contradict each other.  One of them says that if the size of the kangaroo market increases then we'll be in danger of making kangaroos extinct.  Another says that kangaroo farming would be uneconomical and that it will never be a big industry.  There are also laws on how many Kangaroos can currently be hunted and while one of the articles says that there is no way of checking to make sure these rules are enforced, the current figures suggest that about a quarter of the legal limit is met - so there shouldn't be any problems until the market is 4 times bigger - which would be uneconomical anyway.

You are right, if this was a genuine problem then people in Australia would campaign about it instead of about sheep, pigs and chickens.

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
I HATE ANIMAL RIGHTS
« Reply #61 on: November 09, 2006, 06:37:32 PM »
Wow, you learn something new everyday! Poor ol' skippy eh? Did the article mention anything about under-payed kangaroo actors? ;)

I can't believe they still use actual leather in athletic equipment - surely synthetic materials are lighter and cheaper?

beast

I HATE ANIMAL RIGHTS
« Reply #62 on: November 09, 2006, 06:40:04 PM »
I'm not sure - you'd have to ask somebody who cares.

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
I HATE ANIMAL RIGHTS
« Reply #63 on: November 09, 2006, 07:26:26 PM »
Quote from: "beast"
I'm not sure - you'd have to ask somebody who cares.

Ouch. :o

beast

I HATE ANIMAL RIGHTS
« Reply #64 on: November 09, 2006, 07:58:02 PM »
Sorry, I don't mean to be offensive - I just don't really care what people do with kangaroos.  As I see it they're not endangered (any more than any other animal in Australia at least) and they're much better for the environment then cattle is.  This opposition comes from crazy people who don't know what they're talking about.

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
I HATE ANIMAL RIGHTS
« Reply #65 on: November 09, 2006, 08:22:43 PM »
hehe its cool man. I also found it ridiculous that someone in England felt in necessary to "step in" for us (clearly we can't look after our own wildlife). I was going to say Koalas and Wombats are more endangered, but then again they aren't being used for Adidas products ;)

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
I HATE ANIMAL RIGHTS
« Reply #66 on: November 09, 2006, 11:59:27 PM »
Quote from: "Rick_James"
Yo Beast, you'll have to forgive me for coming in late - Do they actually use Kangaroos for these purposes? I've never heard of "Kangaroo Leather" before..

I made an Australian stockwhip out of kangaroo leather -- it's one of the strongest skins considering its thickness (it's much thinner than cowhide) so it's extraordinarily useful when strength is required.  Before I ordered the skin I did some research (Greenpeace, et al.) and I could not find any listing of kangaroos as an endagered or threatened species.

I would have thought that the life a wild Kangaroo leads wouldn't leave it's skin in great condition to be used for leather - unlike the Cow-hide cows who lounge around all day waiting to be mafe into a couch and a pair of boots.

It was my understanding, at the time, that there are kangaroo ranches...
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

?

Rick_James

• The Elder Ones
  • Rick <3 Gayer
I HATE ANIMAL RIGHTS
« Reply #67 on: November 10, 2006, 12:16:48 AM »
Quote from: Erasmus
Yo Beast, you'll have to forgive me for coming in late - Do they actually use Kangaroos for these purposes? I've never heard of "Kangaroo Leather" before..

I made an Australian stockwhip out of kangaroo leather -- it's one of the strongest skins considering its thickness (it's much thinner than cowhide) so it's extraordinarily useful when strength is required.  Before I ordered the skin I did some research (Greenpeace, et al.) and I could not find any listing of kangaroos as an endagered or threatened species./

Wow i never knew that! Skippy's good for something other than eating and saving small freckled boys after all! ;) I wasn't positive about the endangered-ness of Kangaroos - perhaps it was a particular type i was thinking of (ie. red back as opposed to grey back?)

Quote from: Erasmus
I would have thought that the life a wild Kangaroo leads wouldn't leave it's skin in great condition to be used for leather - unlike the Cow-hide cows who lounge around all day waiting to be mafe into a couch and a pair of boots.

It was my understanding, at the time, that there are kangaroo ranches...

Geez I didnt know that either! You think you know your country....

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
I HATE ANIMAL RIGHTS
« Reply #68 on: November 10, 2006, 12:45:14 AM »
Geez I didnt know that either! You think you know your country....

Well I'm not certain about the ranch thing... in terms of stuff that kangaroo leather is good for though: I have reliable sources on that.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

beast

I HATE ANIMAL RIGHTS
« Reply #69 on: November 10, 2006, 02:29:29 AM »
If there are kangaroo ranches then that would contradict the articles the nice anti-kangaroo killing person sent me.  To my knowledge there aren't any.