Intellectually dishonest behaviour of moderators.

• 227 Replies
Re: Cynical behaviour of moderators.
« Reply #210 on: October 05, 2011, 05:08:56 PM »
After Crusty was banned apparently without being told why...

For how much longer must we tolerate this abuse of Daniels good site?
Probably until the next time you are banned or until your warning level gets too high for you to post again.

...zzing!

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #211 on: October 05, 2011, 05:23:55 PM »
If you want to have a joke thread about your missing friend kidnapped by the conspiracy, then do it in the lounge or RM.

Please do not joke about kidnapping. That is a trigger word. Many senior members here, including myself, John Davis and John McIntyre have been stalked and/or threatened by Agents of The Conspiracy (NASA). It was not beyond the realm of possibility that Verrine had suffered a worse fate. All you needed to do was confirm that he had been banned.

We must all be actively concerned for each others safety. A concern forum seems an ideal place for such a post...

Suggestions & Concerns

For any suggestions or problems you may have related to the forum or the Society in general.

That is all.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #212 on: October 05, 2011, 05:33:22 PM »
Do you really want to go down this road again in S&C?
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

?

Crustinator

• Bamhammer horror!
« Reply #213 on: October 05, 2011, 05:50:25 PM »
You implied that it was a joke. I resent that implication for the reasons stated. I gave an explanation for the thread's creation and we are now discussing the cynical behaviour of moderators that followed.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
Re: Intellectually dishonest behaviour of moderators.
« Reply #214 on: October 26, 2011, 05:08:28 AM »
Update: I have edited the thread's title to match markjo's naming convention of the issues in question.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #215 on: October 26, 2011, 06:43:41 AM »
Since when is cynicism intellectually dishonest?  ???
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #216 on: October 26, 2011, 07:01:45 AM »
Since when is cynicism intellectually dishonest?  ???
The behaviours described here fall under both categories, but "Cynical and intellectually dishonest behaviour of moderators" would be too long a title. I chose to follow your naming convention so that it feels more familiar to readers of your posts.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #217 on: October 26, 2011, 11:09:26 AM »
OK PizzaPlanet, if you don't like my "intellectual dishonestey" approach to ninja quote editing, then please tell me how the few ninja quote fixes that I've scolded you about don't violate these official rules:

The Forum Rules

5. Flaming and Harassment
Do not use insulting or denigrating personal attacks against other members. Harassment or bullying of other members is forbidden.

7. Troublemaking
Do not post or behave in a manner obviously intended to start a fight, get a reaction, or cause problems (e.g. making facetious complaints, adjusting/creating a profile so as to impersonate other members, etc.).

8. Low-content Posting/Derailment
Do not make spammy, non-contributive or low-quality posts, or derail threads by deliberately dragging discussion away from the original topic.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

theonlydann

• Official Member
« Reply #218 on: October 26, 2011, 11:50:43 AM »
FFS can this thread be locked?

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #219 on: October 26, 2011, 12:12:38 PM »
OK PizzaPlanet, if you don't like my "intellectual dishonestey" approach to ninja quote editing, then please tell me how the few ninja quote fixes that I've scolded you about don't violate these official rules:

The Forum Rules

Do not use insulting or denigrating personal attacks against other members. Harassment or bullying of other members is forbidden.

7. Troublemaking
Do not post or behave in a manner obviously intended to start a fight, get a reaction, or cause problems (e.g. making facetious complaints, adjusting/creating a profile so as to impersonate other members, etc.).

Do not make spammy, non-contributive or low-quality posts, or derail threads by deliberately dragging discussion away from the original topic.
Quite simply: They weren't harassing, they had content to them, and they caused no trouble until you butted your head against them (likely because you forgot to read the thread).
Also, neither of these rules were the reason why you've "scolded" me. You've stated your reason and it has been invalidated by a quick rule-check, so now you're making stuff up. More intellectual dishonesty right there.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2011, 12:17:13 PM by PizzaPlanet »

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #220 on: November 08, 2011, 02:42:47 PM »

The Forum Rules

7. Troublemaking

Quite simply: They weren't harassing, they had content to them, and they caused no trouble until you butted your head against them (likely because you forgot to read the thread).
Also, neither of these rules were the reason why you've "scolded" me. You've stated your reason and it has been invalidated by a quick rule-check, so now you're making stuff up. More intellectual dishonesty right there.

The rule isn't against causing trouble its against intending to cause trouble something you obviously did. Just because there "wasn't trouble until he butted in" doesn't mean you didn't intend to make trouble.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #221 on: November 08, 2011, 03:25:09 PM »
The rule isn't against causing trouble its against intending to cause trouble something you obviously did. Just because there "wasn't trouble until he butted in" doesn't mean you didn't intend to make trouble.
In fact, causing trouble was probably markjo's intention. My intention was to have a conversation with Parsifal, which was going perfectly fine (all according to my master plan of having a conversation) until markjo butted in. Then I took my time to tell him to go away, he went away, and everything was going perfectly fine again. Let me just ask you: Have you read the thread we were talking about here?

I'm not sure why you're so confused with this as to bump this thread.

Raist

• The Elder Ones
  • The cat in the Matrix
« Reply #222 on: November 09, 2011, 03:16:38 PM »
In fact, causing trouble was probably markjo's intention. My intention was to have a conversation with Parsifal, which was going perfectly fine (all according to my master plan of having a conversation) until markjo butted in. Then I took my time to tell him to go away, he went away, and everything was going perfectly fine again. Let me just ask you: Have you read the thread we were talking about here?

I'm not sure why you're so confused with this as to bump this thread.

I'm not confused and it isn't really bumping a thread when i haven't been on the site in 10 days and the last post falls within that range of time.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #223 on: August 15, 2013, 09:08:06 PM »
Looks like this is still an issue. Trying to ask a moderator to split a sub-topic I started from a thread that's currently in an inappropriate forum resulted in the following:

*yawn*

I mean, fair enough, it's a lot of work. I would still think saying "no" isn't that hard.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #224 on: August 16, 2013, 08:19:01 AM »
Looks like this is still an issue. Trying to ask a moderator to split a sub-topic I started from a thread that's currently in an inappropriate forum resulted in the following:

*yawn*

I mean, fair enough, it's a lot of work. I would still think saying "no" isn't that hard.

If you feel it's a topic that needs to be addressed in S&C, make a topic for it in S&C.  It would be a great deal less work than a mod going post by post in the thread already in existence to decide which ones should be moved and which shouldn't.  The subject's presence hardly damages the thread in question; it's just a troll thread in the lounge after all (and the request made is relevant to the topic anyway, so what exactly warrants a move?).
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #225 on: August 16, 2013, 05:07:46 PM »
I bet shop owners shudder when PP enters the shop. I can imagine you are the worst customer.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #226 on: August 16, 2013, 11:30:39 PM »
If you feel it's a topic that needs to be addressed in S&C, make a topic for it in S&C.
This exact idea is what made you yawn in the first place. Why are you experiencing this sudden change of heart?

It would be a great deal less work than a mod going post by post in the thread already in existence to decide which ones should be moved and which shouldn't.
1. No, it wouldn't. It takes pretty much the same amount of time to quote every single post as it would to move them. The conversation would, however, be much easier to follow for people that haven't participated yet, and since both Wilmore and I feel that more people should be able to speak up on this before a decision is made, accessibility is important.
2. It didn't take that much time at all. 10 minutes in total, with a poo break in the middle. Plus, all I asked of you in the end was a simple yes/no answer. Is that too much effort too? Y'know, basic courtesy and elementary human communication?

The subject's presence hardly damages the thread in question;
The subject's location damages the subject in question. The subject is important to the interest of this forum. Your job is, to an extent, taking care of the forum's interest. It should logically go against your principles to deliberately troll it. Of course, I realise you're doing this as a volunteer, which is why I (twice) said "it's okay if it's too much work - just let me know and I'll take care of it myself". It's simply annoying that saying something like "Yeah, could you take care of it? We're too busy" is so difficult for you.

(and the request made is relevant to the topic anyway, so what exactly warrants a move?).
The respective definitions of S&C and The Lounge, as found in their respective guideline threads. You know, the forum rules you're supposed to enforce. I'd say that "I asked you really nicely" is a semi-decent reason too.

I bet shop owners shudder when PP enters the shop. I can imagine you are the worst customer.
I don't talk to shop owners, but half of my students' union (with which I'm fairly involved) hates me with a passion. The other half thinks I'm "the guy that gets shit done". It's basically a question of whether or not you can get over my constant cranky ranting and focus on the logic of my arguments, or the things I actually get done when no one else can be bothered.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2013, 11:58:27 PM by PizzaPlanet »

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #227 on: August 17, 2013, 08:33:21 AM »
ha yeah i can imagine