Longitude Lines

• 18 Replies
?

Megaman

• Winning all the forums
Longitude Lines
« on: August 12, 2013, 05:47:12 AM »
Has anyone from FE been able to explain why the distance between longitude lines doesn't increase dramatically in the southern hemisphere?

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
Re: Longitude Lines
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2013, 02:57:36 PM »
What evidence do you have for your assertion?

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #2 on: August 12, 2013, 03:04:04 PM »

How about the distance from Sydney to Perth, in Australia? That's a bit more than 30° South, and the distance is less than half what it would be on a flat earth (well, a flat earth where trans-pacific flights that cross the international date line are possible at least).
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #3 on: August 12, 2013, 03:16:47 PM »
Well, when  Fedor Konuykhov sailed all the way around Antarctica, he did so in less than 12,000 nautical miles. Since such a journey crosses all 360 degrees of longitude and it was substantially less than that of the Rutan Voyager, which crossed all 360 degrees of longitude near the equator and took 25,000 miles, I think it's safe to say that the distance between lines of longitude decrease as you move south from the equator.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2013, 03:34:45 PM »

How about the distance from Sydney to Perth, in Australia? That's a bit more than 30° South, and the distance is less than half what it would be on a flat earth (well, a flat earth where trans-pacific flights that cross the international date line are possible at least).

What map are you using? There are multiple proposed maps.

Well, when  Fedor Konuykhov sailed all the way around Antarctica, he did so in less than 12,000 nautical miles. Since such a journey crosses all 360 degrees of longitude and it was substantially less than that of the Rutan Voyager, which crossed all 360 degrees of longitude near the equator and took 25,000 miles, I think it's safe to say that the distance between lines of longitude decrease as you move south from the equator.

Again, what map are you guys using? There are multiple proposed maps for FET. I support in the one where Antarctica exists as a continent, so you example is invalid.

But the standard response to that claim is to question whether this "Konuykhov" character traveled the entirety around Antarctica, or just traveled partially along the coast for the requisite distance and turned Northward in search of warmer waters, claiming that he had just circumnavigated Antarctica.

« Reply #5 on: August 12, 2013, 03:47:41 PM »

Again, what map are you guys using? There are multiple proposed maps for FET. I support in the one where Antarctica exists as a continent, so you example is invalid.

But the standard response to that claim is to question whether this "Konuykhov" character traveled the entirety around Antarctica, or just traveled partially along the coast for the requisite distance and turned Northward in search of warmer waters, claiming that he had just circumnavigated Antarctica.
http://lmgtfy.com/?q=Solo+Circumnavigation+of+Antarctica

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2013, 03:54:54 PM »
I don't see any evidence in those links that this man did not simply travel the requisite distance along Antarctica and declare that he had 'circumnavigated Antarctica'.

How do we know that these race organizers didn't put the finishing line on a route a distance of Antarctica's alleged diameter, without verifying that the ships were truly circumnavigating the coast?

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2013, 03:57:03 PM »
I don't see any evidence in those links that this man did not simply travel the requisite distance along Antarctica and declare that he had 'circumnavigated Antarctica'.

How do we know that these race organizers didn't put the finishing line on a route a distance of Antarctica's alleged diameter, without verifying that the ships were truly circumnavigating the coast?
So a few more people to add to the conspiracy then?
I'd like to agree with you but then we'd both be wrong!

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2013, 03:58:48 PM »
So a few more people to add to the conspiracy then?

Ignorance, not Conspiracy.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2013, 03:59:09 PM »
What map are you using?

I think the following extract made it pretty clear:

...a flat earth where trans-pacific flights that cross the international date line are possible at least...

But, since there seems to be some confusion; I was referencing the mono-polar map.

There are multiple proposed maps.

And no flat map has ever been made that accurately represents the size, shape, and layout of the continents. Flat maps that give an approximate representation exist, such as the commonly used Mercator projection, but they only exist as a convenient means of viewing all continents at once, they are not an accurate representation of the earth.

I am not counting navigational charts, which only cover small sections of the earth's surface. Small areas can be represented with reasonable success (read: with some distortion still present) on flat maps, which certainly makes packing a few maps in your flight bag a lot easier for pilots!
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2013, 04:00:30 PM »
I don't see any evidence in those links that this man did not simply travel the requisite distance along Antarctica and declare that he had 'circumnavigated Antartcica'.

How do we know that these race organizers didn't put the finishing line on a route the distance of Antarctica's alleged diameter, without verifying that the ships were truly circumnavigating the coast?

For one, circles don't work like that. You can't run halfway around a race-track, break off, and move away from the center of the track and expect to find yourself where you started.

For two, he identified landmarks along the way. When you race around a track, do you decide you've finished because you've counted paces, or because you cross the finish line? Fedor stopped sailing when he returned to King George Sound.

?

Megaman

• Winning all the forums
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2013, 04:22:10 PM »

Do you have an image or link to this map where Antarctica exists as a continent? I would look upon it.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2013, 04:31:39 PM »
Do you have an image or link to this map where Antarctica exists as a continent? I would look upon it.

Here you go: a page with the two most used FE 'maps'.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #13 on: August 12, 2013, 04:33:52 PM »

Which map do you suggest they use?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2013, 04:41:03 PM »

None. There is no map.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #15 on: August 12, 2013, 04:50:30 PM »

None. There is no map.

Then how do FE'ers navigate?  ???

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #16 on: August 12, 2013, 04:57:18 PM »

There are many different projections and layout the earth's configuration may take, and still allow for navigation.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #17 on: August 12, 2013, 05:05:53 PM »

There are many different projections and layout the earth's configuration may take, and still allow for navigation.

But all of those projections are based on ROUND EARTH geography which, as everyone here knows, is wrong.  Or are you saying that RE geography is correct?

?

Megaman

• Winning all the forums
« Reply #18 on: August 12, 2013, 05:13:19 PM »

The projection where Antarctica is a continent would make it impossible to travel from South America to Indonesia along the equator.