The FE map

• 101 Replies
?

robintex

• Ranters
Re: The FE map
« Reply #30 on: August 02, 2013, 11:48:03 AM »
It is simple. Find a cartographer, ask him to correctly map the earth pay him from wealth gained from changing everything everyone has ever known. Kick back and relax

How long would it take a single cartographer to do this?  Is he or she supposed to work for free until the job is done?  It really isn't that simple, and you know it.

You know how the world of business works don't you know? You get some quotes for the job, employ a firm then when they deliver you pay.  It's like when you go to work and they pay you at the end of the month/week, they don't pay you every monday or before you've worked do they?

As a matter of fact, I do know how the world of business works.  However, it is clear that you do not.  To undertake a project such as this requires capital.  You have to have money up front, period.  It is nothing like getting paid on a regular basis from a 9-5 job.  You have to secure capital before you can do anything.  To secure capital funding, you need investors.  To get investors, you have to present a business plan with a clear ROI.  Saying that you will make a million dollars on a Nobel prize sometime in the future is not a business plan.  The project would have capital expenses up front, and operating expenses over the duration of the project.  If you want me to explain more to you how actual business projects work, let me know, I would be happy to.

I'm sorry but i think you're confusing the creation of some sort of Flat Earth Inc. with going to a cartography shop and asking them to provide you with a map. Whyever do you think you'd need a business plan and capital to employ someones services?

Do you understand the scope of a project such as this?  No one is going to do this much work with nothing more than a promise of eventually being paid, especially when there is no clear source of revenue.  You have to have capital, period.  If you don't understand that, then there isn't much more to talk about.

Ok so let's do it your way.

The world will always be flat so it actually doesn't matter when the map gets made. Why don't you guys start saving up in some sort of trust? Then in 10 20 30 years you can get the map made?

Also, if there is enough interest in this project, maybe there will be many readers from outside the FES who will volunteer their services. Forget about the money. Start a "Flat Earth Society Map" fund raising project as on PBS. That is : "From viewers like you .... Thank you "
"With your $50 donation you will get a copy of the new FE Map.
With your $150 donation you will get a copy of the new FE Map Atlas
With your $200 donation you will get a copy of the Map and the Atlas.
With your $250 donation you will get a copy of the Map, The Atlas and a copy of the book "The Earth Not A Globe."
Just a friendly suggestion from an outsider.

I would have to decline. I have no expertise in this field and I am afraid I would be of little assistance on making the map.

PS. Sorry about at that reference to PBS. Obviously PBS is also part of the Conspiracy with their programs like NOVA, etc.

As to the use of the sextant, this is one FE's view of the instrument.:
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,57396.msg1444599.html#msg1444599

"Invented in 1731, the sextant is to my mind is a device of deception. Its name reeks of satire and one of my associates stated that it was created as a joke by the organization. I was skeptical of this device upon hearing its vile name, in time I will show why it is a device of deception and dishonor."
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 12:20:58 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #31 on: August 02, 2013, 11:54:54 AM »
I don't think it's reasonable at all. I doubt there's a cartography shop in the world that could make a map without GPS or sextants.
How do you supposed cartographers made maps before GPS or sextants were invented?  Also, what do you have against sextants?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #32 on: August 02, 2013, 12:29:43 PM »
I don't think it's reasonable at all. I doubt there's a cartography shop in the world that could make a map without GPS or sextants.
How do you supposed cartographers made maps before GPS or sextants were invented?  Also, what do you have against sextants?

Are any members of the FES members of The National Geographic Society or readers or subscribers of The National Geographic Society Magazine ? Maybe that might be a source for some assistance ?

Chorus:

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2013, 07:25:38 PM »
How do you supposed cartographers made maps before GPS or sextants were invented?

Very badly.

« Reply #34 on: August 02, 2013, 08:00:36 PM »
Do flatearthers consider the larger scale localized maps to be accurate?

?

therationalist56

• A Clueless Man
« Reply #35 on: August 02, 2013, 10:47:13 PM »
I don't understand how this is a problem. If the earth is flat and there is conclusive proof that the earth is flat, why wouldn't any cartography company (is that the correct designation for such a company?) want to produce the "correct" maps of the earth? That is a billion dollar idea. monkeybradders is right...once the earth is proven to be flat, money is no issue.

Junker

« Reply #36 on: August 02, 2013, 10:49:42 PM »
I don't understand how this is a problem. If the earth is flat and there is conclusive proof that the earth is flat, why wouldn't any cartography company (is that the correct designation for such a company?) want to produce the "correct" maps of the earth? That is a billion dollar idea. monkeybradders is right...once the earth is proven to be flat, money is no issue.

No one is going to do this much work with nothing more than a promise of eventually being paid, especially when there is no clear source of revenue. 

?

therationalist56

• A Clueless Man
« Reply #37 on: August 02, 2013, 10:54:29 PM »

No one is going to do this much work with nothing more than a promise of eventually being paid, especially when there is no clear source of revenue. 

You must not have gotten the point of my quote. I'm not saying that the Flat Earth Society would have to pay for it. I am saying that if the world can be proven to be flat, than any cartography company (once again not sure if this is the right word) would pay for it because selling the 'correct' map of the Earth to lets say the Air Force or the Navy would result in a "clear source of revenue". Then you can sell the map to every nation's armed forces, every pilot in the entire world, every ship captain sailing on the high seas. The only way they could not find a clear source of revenue would be if they decided to not sell the map for some ridiculously stupid reason.

Junker

« Reply #38 on: August 02, 2013, 11:00:41 PM »

You must not have gotten the point of my quote. I'm not saying that the Flat Earth Society would have to pay for it. I am saying that if the world can be proven to be flat, than any cartography company (once again not sure if this is the right word) would pay for it because selling the 'correct' map of the Earth to lets say the Air Force or the Navy would result in a "clear source of revenue". Then you can sell the map to every nation's armed forces, every pilot in the entire world, every ship captain sailing on the high seas. The only way they could not find a clear source of revenue would be if they decided to not sell the map for some ridiculously stupid reason.

You have to secure capital before you can do anything.  To secure capital funding, you need investors.  To get investors, you have to present a business plan with a clear ROI.  Saying that you will make a million dollars on a Nobel prize sometime in the future is not a business plan.  The project would have capital expenses up front, and operating expenses over the duration of the project.  If you want me to explain more to you how actual business projects work, let me know, I would be happy to.

This applies to anyone or any company who plans to undertake this.  The only exception would be someone who is independently wealthy and wants to front the capital and not care about the risk of never being repaid.

?

therationalist56

• A Clueless Man
« Reply #39 on: August 02, 2013, 11:04:01 PM »

You have to secure capital before you can do anything.  To secure capital funding, you need investors.  To get investors, you have to present a business plan with a clear ROI.  Saying that you will make a million dollars on a Nobel prize sometime in the future is not a business plan.  The project would have capital expenses up front, and operating expenses over the duration of the project.  If you want me to explain more to you how actual business projects work, let me know, I would be happy to.

This applies to anyone or any company who plans to undertake this.  The only exception would be someone who is independently wealthy and wants to front the capital and not care about the risk of never being repaid.

Or maybe your business plan is "we have proof the earth is flat and we plan on creating a monopoly on flat earth maps that every military, pilot, shipping company, and airline will buy in the hundreds if not thousands." They then go on to show the "proof" they have. The investors, realizing they are about to make a bunch of money, invest and, seeing as the cartography company has conclusive "proof", they indeed make billions.

Tell me how that is not a feasible business plan? Tell me how this would not apply to any cartography company or how an investor would not want to invest in this?

Junker

« Reply #40 on: August 02, 2013, 11:07:44 PM »
...realizing they are about to make a bunch of money

Funny, I have created and reviewed quite a few ROIs and not once have I ever seen a "bunch" used as a quantity to describe the anticipated return.

... they indeed make billions.

Do you have any evidence to support your outlandish claim?

Tell me how that is not a feasible business plan? Tell me how this would not apply to any cartography company or how an investor would not want to invest in this?

See above.

?

therationalist56

• A Clueless Man
« Reply #41 on: August 02, 2013, 11:20:29 PM »
...realizing they are about to make a bunch of money

Funny, I have created and reviewed quite a few ROIs and not once have I ever seen a "bunch" used as a quantity to describe the anticipated return.

... they indeed make billions.

Do you have any evidence to support your outlandish claim?

See above.

O you dog...straw manning my arguments by quote mining me and claiming I am making outlandish claims.

You, as well as everyone else who reads this, knew what I meant when I said "a bunch". Unless your reading skills are below that of a third grader, you picked up on the humorous tone of my little conjecture (the conjecture being the first paragraph where I supposed a cartography company had proof the earth was flat, showed this proof to investors, and then the investors realizing they were going to make a hefty profit (and I'm sorry if you cannot understand those two big words) invest in the company which then makes a hefty profit).

Why would they not make billions? They are the only company in the entire world selling the correct map of the earth. They are selling to literally everyone (as how would an airline or shipping company be able to justify to it's customers that they are not using a proven correct map of the world when their competitors are?) who needs to travel internationally.

And I did see above and I believe that this plan addressed every point you made about how a business works. What point am I missing? There's the business plan (sell the only correct map of the world), investors, huge ROI (based on them selling the worlds only correct map). What's missing?

Junker

« Reply #42 on: August 02, 2013, 11:23:08 PM »
And I did see above and I believe that this plan addressed every point you made about how a business works. What point am I missing? There's the business plan (sell the only correct map of the world), investors, huge ROI (based on them selling the worlds only correct map). What's missing?

How about any actual figures to support your outlandish claims?  You RE folks always demand proof using maths.  So please, provide the math to support this claim.  Otherwise, admit you have no idea what you are talking about.

?

therationalist56

• A Clueless Man
« Reply #43 on: August 02, 2013, 11:29:19 PM »

How about any actual figures to support your outlandish claims?  You RE folks always demand proof using maths.  So please, provide the math to support this claim.  Otherwise, admit you have no idea what you are talking about.

Your point is moot. The exact numbers do not matter. You are using a red herring to bury the fact that you were wrong. There is nothing logically or demonstrably wrong with my argument. I have addressed every point that you have come up with. I have shown that this is a reliable business model that has met every one of your requirements to work. The numbers do not matter as you know very well that it would take many months to calculate the exact figures. You were simply wrong and have decided to straw man my arguments and make issues which are not issues seem more important than they actually are.

Junker

« Reply #44 on: August 02, 2013, 11:30:31 PM »

Your point is moot. The exact numbers do not matter. You are using a red herring to bury the fact that you were wrong. There is nothing logically or demonstrably wrong with my argument. I have addressed every point that you have come up with. I have shown that this is a reliable business model that has met every one of your requirements to work. The numbers do not matter as you know very well that it would take many months to calculate the exact figures. You were simply wrong and have decided to straw man my arguments and make issues which are not issues seem more important than they actually are.

So no figures then, gotcha.  I will take this as admitting you are clueless about this subject.  As usual, another victory for FE.

?

therationalist56

• A Clueless Man
« Reply #45 on: August 02, 2013, 11:41:24 PM »

So no figures then, gotcha.  I will take this as admitting you are clueless about this subject.  As usual, another victory for FE.

Man...you guys really need to learn about Danth's Law. Once I learn how to post links, I might refer you guys to some articles about it.

First, you have a pretty bad habit of straw manning your oppositions arguments. While you might think you are gaining an advantage, anyone with half a brain who can understand basic logic will see, without even reading mine, that your argument have few valid points just based on your extensive use of straw manning.

Second, what do the figures have to do with my logic? How will the addition of actual numbers make anything I said pertaining to what you said a business making a FE map needs change the fact that I addressed and answered all of your points? It's a non sequitur (since you seem to have the reading abilities of my 8 year old brother, a non sequitur means "that which does not follow" as in "it does not follow that actual numbers will change formal logic as formal logic is independent of the subject").

Thirdly, it is another non sequitur to claim that because I do not have the exact figures (which I no doubt could calculate given a few weeks or months but I have a life outside of this unfortunately) I am clueless about this subject. My previous posts show otherwise.

Junker

« Reply #46 on: August 02, 2013, 11:45:23 PM »
Thirdly, it is another non sequitur to claim that because I do not have the exact figures (which I no doubt could calculate given a few weeks or months but I have a life outside of this unfortunately) I am clueless about this subject. My previous posts show otherwise.

Who said exact figures?  You can't even provide an approximation other than "a bunch" or "billions."  How would you go about calculating this anyway?  It sounds like you are just spouting off about things you say you can do, but won't or can't.  You are the one making a claim that this idea will make billions, the burden is on you to support that claim.  I wish you luck in that endeavor.

?

therationalist56

• A Clueless Man
« Reply #47 on: August 02, 2013, 11:50:21 PM »

Who said exact figures?  You can't even provide an approximation other than "a bunch" or "billions."  How would you go about calculating this anyway?  It sounds like you are just spouting off about things you say you can do, but won't or can't.  You are the one making a claim that this idea will make billions, the burden is on you to support that claim.  I wish you luck in that endeavor.

Sorry...exact was my assumption. I should have known you would have changed that once I addressed it is irrelevant. Let me clarify. If is another non sequitur to claim that because I do not have any figures I am clueless about the subject (no doubt you'll quote mine this to just say "I am clueless about the subject"...please do so I can point that out). Formal logic is independent of the subject so any figures are irrelevant. As to how, that is another completely irrelevant point (but suffice to say the internet and some basic college economics can go a long way).

Junker

« Reply #48 on: August 03, 2013, 12:00:18 AM »
Sorry...exact was my assumption. I should have known you would have changed that once I addressed it is irrelevant. Let me clarify. If is another non sequitur to claim that because I do not have any figures I am clueless about the subject (no doubt you'll quote mine this to just say "I am clueless about the subject"...please do so I can point that out). Formal logic is independent of the subject so any figures are irrelevant. As to how, that is another completely irrelevant point (but suffice to say the internet and some basic college economics can go a long way).

I am not saying you are clueless only because you cannot provide figures.  I am saying you wouldn't know how to do so correctly. However, you still made a claim about untold riches to be had without anything to support it but your opinion.  Your logic certainly does not follow.

?

therationalist56

• A Clueless Man
« Reply #49 on: August 03, 2013, 12:06:50 AM »

I am not saying you are clueless only because you cannot provide figures.  I am saying you wouldn't know how to do so correctly. However, you still made a claim about untold riches to be had without anything to support it but your opinion.  Your logic certainly does not follow.

But I did support it and it does follow...I suggest you reread my post. As I have said many times, formal logic (like the logic I presented) is not depended on the subject at hand. The logic I presented would work (and has worked) on any business (in fact I used your model so if you are saying my logic is wrong then you must admit your logic is wrong (and with regards to that single business example it isn't)), If still you want proof why don't we look at any multibillion dollar company. Let's say Apple. They broke into a market that did not exists and made billions (if you want proof of that I'd suggest looking at a stock exchange or wikipedia.) This is the same but with maps. They would be selling the only correct map in the world. How would they not make billions selling to every airline, military, and shipping company? Every plane, ship, missile guidance system, soldier, pilot, and captain in the world would need this correct map. It would be like if apple was the only computer company in the world.

EDIT: And before you try another red herring and shift this thread to a completely irrelevant discussion of something to do with my Apple example under the false assumption that if that particular example is wrong than my argument is wrong I have two things to say. First, it was an incomplete example. If you want a history of Apple look on wikipedia. Second, Apple is merely an example and the logic does not depend on the example. Furthermore, there are many other companies (once again I refer you to wikipedia or even google) which have used the same logic in regards to business as I have presented.
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 12:20:19 AM by therationalist56 »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #50 on: August 03, 2013, 07:54:07 AM »
How do you supposed cartographers made maps before GPS or sextants were invented?

Very badly.

Are you saying that GPS and sextants have improved the accuracy of maps?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #51 on: August 03, 2013, 08:14:56 AM »
A simple question. Without a correctly mapped Earth how can you ever expect anyone to know the truth? Because, and i don't want to hurt anyones feelings, this website aint doing it.  :-\

And Tom, cynically posting old maps as if to prove a point actually makes the FES lack of a map even more shocking. Whomever created this map and whatever reason they did, as inaccurate as it may be, at least they have a crack at it. At least they didn't sit around laughing at others and did something about it.  To paraphrase a very wise man "you guys aren't failures because you didn't succeed, you're failures because you didn't try" Kev from Derek
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 08:33:01 AM by monkeybradders »

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #52 on: August 03, 2013, 08:31:41 AM »
A simple question. Without a correctly mapped Earth how can you ever expect anyone to know the truth? Because, and i don't want to hurt anyones feelings, this website aint doing it.  :-\
Yes it is, how dare you insult this fine society?
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

« Reply #53 on: August 03, 2013, 08:36:20 AM »
Yes it is, how dare you insult this fine society?

Well it's not because it's my understanding that an overwhelming majority of the Earths inhabitants believe the Earth to be round, and, after 213 years, that isn't much progress.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #54 on: August 03, 2013, 09:50:13 AM »

Very badly.

The map shown was just made from what was known at that time.

Current maps show what is known at this time.

Since Flat Earth claims to know all the answers about the size and shape of the earth, why haven't they produced a map of the true earth ?
If they have all the information, surely they could at least draw the map themselves ?

Chorus:

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #55 on: August 03, 2013, 09:53:43 AM »

Since Flat Earth claims to know all the answers about the size and shape of the earth, why haven't they produced a map of the true earth ?
If they have all the information, surely they could at least draw the map themselves ?

You can paypal your donations for a FES World-Wide Exploratory Voyage to tom.bishop.enterprises@gmail.com.

?

therationalist56

• A Clueless Man
« Reply #56 on: August 03, 2013, 09:58:01 AM »

Very badly.

I'm gonna save some time here. This is just going to go back to the whole business thing (and looking at tom's post it already has) which was dealt with by showing that anyone who could prove the earth is flat and make a map out of it would have a monopoly on the world's only correct map and would make a fortune. Seeing that they are defeated, somebody is going to make a nonissue an issue through the use of a red herring by stating that since the theoretical business model based does not have real figures than my whole logical argument is therefore entirely invalid and that the earth is therefore flat (the definitions of formal logic, non sequiturs, and argument from ignorance and incredulity not withstanding).

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #57 on: August 03, 2013, 10:34:48 AM »

You can paypal your donations for a FES World-Wide Exploratory Voyage to tom.bishop.enterprises@gmail.com.

Sent.  I am collecting beer cans and will add more when there is enough to cash in.

« Reply #58 on: August 03, 2013, 10:54:38 AM »

Tom you sly old dog. I apologise for my earlier comments. All along you've just been biding your time until you yourself use your cartographic skills to draw the correct flat earth map.....The Bishop Map.

I am more than willing to get on at the ground floor with this and to send you cash money via paypal.

thank you, Tom

« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 10:56:27 AM by monkeybradders »

Junker

« Reply #59 on: August 03, 2013, 01:43:14 PM »
But I did support it and it does follow...I suggest you reread my post. As I have said many times, formal logic (like the logic I presented) is not depended on the subject at hand. The logic I presented would work (and has worked) on any business (in fact I used your model so if you are saying my logic is wrong then you must admit your logic is wrong (and with regards to that single business example it isn't)), If still you want proof why don't we look at any multibillion dollar company. Let's say Apple. They broke into a market that did not exists and made billions (if you want proof of that I'd suggest looking at a stock exchange or wikipedia.) This is the same but with maps. They would be selling the only correct map in the world. How would they not make billions selling to every airline, military, and shipping company? Every plane, ship, missile guidance system, soldier, pilot, and captain in the world would need this correct map. It would be like if apple was the only computer company in the world.

EDIT: And before you try another red herring and shift this thread to a completely irrelevant discussion of something to do with my Apple example under the false assumption that if that particular example is wrong than my argument is wrong I have two things to say. First, it was an incomplete example. If you want a history of Apple look on wikipedia. Second, Apple is merely an example and the logic does not depend on the example. Furthermore, there are many other companies (once again I refer you to wikipedia or even google) which have used the same logic in regards to business as I have presented.

Okay, where to start.  First, it seems you already know your example was wrong, which is why you edited your post.  It makes me wonder why you posted to begin with when it seems you already knew you were wrong.  No, your logic does not follow.  You tried to use an example to prove your point, and it is incorrect.  You also don't get to try to make a claim to support your point and then tell me I can't refute it.  I am glad you picked Apple as an example though.  Steve Jobs is a personal hero of mine and I know the history of Apple inside and out, no need for Wikipedia.  But you can use it if you wish to confirm what I am telling you.  You are right that Apple made a market for what they created.  Steve Jobs, Steve Wozniak, and to a lesser extent Ron Wayne (he sold his shares very early) used their own money to begin creating computers in Steve's parents garage.  Steve Jobs failed many times to get a loan for capital based on his business plan of selling personal computers.  It wasn't until venture capitalist Mike Markkula provided a quarter million US dollars capital that the company was able to flourish.  As you can see, even your point about Apple is a miserable failure.

Back to the point at hand.  You need money up front, period.  It really doesn't matter where it comes from, but to undertake a project such as described in the OP requires capital, no matter how you slice it.  I suggest you do a bit more research before spouting off about things you are clearly clueless about.  Better luck next time.