The FE map

• 101 Replies
The FE map
« on: August 02, 2013, 03:29:50 AM »
Hello everybody

Some 4 years ago i queried why the FES hasn't contacted a cartographer to draw up a correct map of the Earth. I was informed by a few of your members that it was a task in hand, being as i was around during the hoodie fiasco i didn't hold out much hope. However, i did wonder if your esteemed members had given any further thought to taking the matter forward?

With kind regards

Monkeybradders

Re: The FE map
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2013, 05:55:58 AM »
You make it sound so simple.

« Reply #2 on: August 02, 2013, 06:13:03 AM »
It is simple. Find a cartographer, ask him to correctly map the earth pay him from wealth gained from changing everything everyone has ever known. Kick back and relax

Junker

« Reply #3 on: August 02, 2013, 07:13:16 AM »
It is simple. Find a cartographer, ask him to correctly map the earth pay him from wealth gained from changing everything everyone has ever known. Kick back and relax

How long would it take a single cartographer to do this?  Is he or she supposed to work for free until the job is done?  It really isn't that simple, and you know it. 

« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2013, 07:26:30 AM »

How long would it take a single cartographer to do this?  Is he or she supposed to work for free until the job is done?  It really isn't that simple, and you know it.

The Earth's flat it's been flat since the beginning of time and will be flat forever, right? So it doesn't matter how long it takes. Surely after all these years and years of study* you guys can make a pretty solid case to employ a team ;) of cartographers. It's not working for free? You know how the world of business works don't you know? You get some quotes for the job, employ a firm then when they deliver you pay.  It's like when you go to work and they pay you at the end of the month/week, they don't pay you every monday or before you've worked do they?

*perhaps take Bullhorns years of studies??

EDIT - Also, it seemed to be "simple" enough for you guys to conclude it's not round so why is it so hard to prove?
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 07:30:48 AM by monkeybradders »

« Reply #5 on: August 02, 2013, 07:53:37 AM »
Also, it seemed to be "simple" enough for you guys to conclude it's not round so why is it so hard to prove?

The proof is there, but centuries of indoctrination will not allow the unenlightened to let go of their misguided mindset.

« Reply #6 on: August 02, 2013, 07:58:54 AM »
Also, it seemed to be "simple" enough for you guys to conclude it's not round so why is it so hard to prove?

The proof is there, but centuries of indoctrination will not allow the unenlightened to let go of their misguided mindset.

Hence why you need a map drawn up all nice and proper by a team off cartographers. They're not going to say no, you're going to have to pay them but, like i say, once you've proved the earth is flat then money isn't going to be an issue.

« Reply #7 on: August 02, 2013, 09:00:33 AM »

Hence why you need a map drawn up all nice and proper by a team off cartographers. They're not going to say no, you're going to have to pay them but, like i say, once you've proved the earth is flat then money isn't going to be an issue.

I don't see why you think this would be the case.

?

Pyrolizard

• The Militant Skeptic
« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2013, 09:15:19 AM »

Because a Nobel Prize is worth over a million USD in award money, and you're almost guaranteed to be given a Nobel Prize for doing so.
Quote from: Shmeggley
Wherever someone is wrong on the internet, Pyrolizard will be there!

Quote from: Excelsior John
I dont care about the majority I care about Obama.
Let it always be known that Excelsior John is against democracy.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2013, 09:39:14 AM »
Perhaps there might be some volunteers in the Flat Earth Society who are also engineers, surveyors , cartographers and so forth who would gladly come forth and offer their services for nothing.

I've been in a lot of of clubs or organizations of one kind or another in which there were members who were experts in other fields, so maybe there are professional cartographers, etc. in The Flat Earth Society who are are also professional cartographers. etc. who would gladly come forth to prepare a proper Flat Earth Map.

No fair using the globe for a start as on the "North Polar Projection" Flat Earth Map.

Please ! Let's not get sandokhan involved in this project !

It shouldn't be such a difficult task. There are CAD programs which would eliminate the old laborious tasks of drawing the map by hand.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:41:08 AM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #10 on: August 02, 2013, 09:40:52 AM »

Hmmmm i beginning to see what the problem may be here. Let me help you out a bit. You'd own the copyright to the correct map of the Earth.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #11 on: August 02, 2013, 09:48:17 AM »

Hmmmm i beginning to see what the problem may be here. Let me help you out a bit. You'd own the copyright to the correct map of the Earth.

Hmmmm ! Let me help you out a bit, too with this suggestion.:
If you just owned the copyright ! Just think of all  the royalties and payments you would get from Rand McNally for permission for them to reproduce and print your map in large quantities ! You might even win law suits for damages from Rand Mc Nally for all those "fake" maps they have been produced over the years. The possibilities seem enormous and too many to pass up ! I hope these and monkeybradder's remarks may offer some incentives for you to proceed apace with the project ! Good luck !
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 09:56:14 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #12 on: August 02, 2013, 09:53:44 AM »

Hmmmm ! If you owned the copyright ! Just think of the royalties and payments you would get from Rand McNally for permission for them to reproduce and print your map in large quantities !

Forget that. What about Boeing, NASA (behave) etc...

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #13 on: August 02, 2013, 09:58:05 AM »

Hmmmm ! If you owned the copyright ! Just think of the royalties and payments you would get from Rand McNally for permission for them to reproduce and print your map in large quantities !

Forget that. What about Boeing, NASA (behave) etc...

Forget about Boeing, NASA, etc too .......And what about all the airlines, steamship lines, travel agencies, military and civilian organizations who have connection with travel et cetera, et cetera and so forth ! As I said, the possibilities are enormous ! :)

It seems like a golden opportunity for The Flat Earth Society to cash in on a lot of money ! (Just another of my many "IMHO" 's !) I am a confirmed one of those agents of Satan in "The Round Earth Conspiracy" but I must confess a bit of jealously that I wouldn't be in on the monetary benefits of "The True Flat Earth Map."
« Last Edit: August 04, 2013, 05:23:38 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

Junker

« Reply #14 on: August 02, 2013, 10:00:17 AM »

You know how the world of business works don't you know? You get some quotes for the job, employ a firm then when they deliver you pay.  It's like when you go to work and they pay you at the end of the month/week, they don't pay you every monday or before you've worked do they?

As a matter of fact, I do know how the world of business works.  However, it is clear that you do not.  To undertake a project such as this requires capital.  You have to have money up front, period.  It is nothing like getting paid on a regular basis from a 9-5 job.  You have to secure capital before you can do anything.  To secure capital funding, you need investors.  To get investors, you have to present a business plan with a clear ROI.  Saying that you will make a million dollars on a Nobel prize sometime in the future is not a business plan.  The project would have capital expenses up front, and operating expenses over the duration of the project.  If you want me to explain more to you how actual business projects work, let me know, I would be happy to.

« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2013, 10:26:27 AM »

You know how the world of business works don't you know? You get some quotes for the job, employ a firm then when they deliver you pay.  It's like when you go to work and they pay you at the end of the month/week, they don't pay you every monday or before you've worked do they?

As a matter of fact, I do know how the world of business works.  However, it is clear that you do not.  To undertake a project such as this requires capital.  You have to have money up front, period.  It is nothing like getting paid on a regular basis from a 9-5 job.  You have to secure capital before you can do anything.  To secure capital funding, you need investors.  To get investors, you have to present a business plan with a clear ROI.  Saying that you will make a million dollars on a Nobel prize sometime in the future is not a business plan.  The project would have capital expenses up front, and operating expenses over the duration of the project.  If you want me to explain more to you how actual business projects work, let me know, I would be happy to.

I'm sorry but i think you're confusing the creation of some sort of Flat Earth Inc. with going to a cartography shop and asking them to provide you with a map. Whyever do you think you'd need a business plan and capital to employ someones services?

Junker

« Reply #16 on: August 02, 2013, 10:48:06 AM »

I'm sorry but i think you're confusing the creation of some sort of Flat Earth Inc. with going to a cartography shop and asking them to provide you with a map. Whyever do you think you'd need a business plan and capital to employ someones services?

Do you understand the scope of a project such as this?  No one is going to do this much work with nothing more than a promise of eventually being paid, especially when there is no clear source of revenue.  You have to have capital, period.  If you don't understand that, then there isn't much more to talk about.

« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2013, 10:48:48 AM »

I doubt that would help, as no one would want it.

« Reply #18 on: August 02, 2013, 10:50:12 AM »

Do you understand the scope of a project such as this?  No one is going to do this much work with nothing more than a promise of eventually being paid, especially when there is no clear source of revenue.  You have to have capital, period.  If you don't understand that, then there isn't much more to talk about.

Not to mention that you'd have to commission them to do this without using GPS or orbiting "satellites".

« Reply #19 on: August 02, 2013, 10:57:40 AM »

Ok so let's do it your way.

The world will always be flat so it actually doesn't matter when the map gets made. Why don't you guys start saving up in some sort of trust? Then in 10 20 30 years you can get the map made?

Junker

« Reply #20 on: August 02, 2013, 11:06:31 AM »

The world will always be flat so it actually doesn't matter when the map gets made. Why don't you guys start saving up in some sort of trust? Then in 10 20 30 years you can get the map made?

This is a much more reasonable plan.  I have no idea if it will ever happen.

« Reply #21 on: August 02, 2013, 11:08:36 AM »

Well that's an afternoon we'll never get back  :P

« Reply #22 on: August 02, 2013, 11:13:20 AM »

I don't think it's reasonable at all. I doubt there's a cartography shop in the world that could make a map without GPS or sextants. Also, I re-iterate that monetization of the results is highly unlikely.

Junker

« Reply #23 on: August 02, 2013, 11:18:45 AM »

I don't think it's reasonable at all. I doubt there's a cartography shop in the world that could make a map without GPS or sextants. Also, I re-iterate that monetization of the results is highly unlikely.

In general, it is unreasonable.  I was merely saying it was reasonable compared to the insanely unreasonable request previously put forth.

« Reply #24 on: August 02, 2013, 11:19:53 AM »

Point 1 ain't my problem so i don't know about that.
Point 2 Every single map etc.. is wrong and will need to be updated the FES owns the copyright on the original. Aside from that the appearance fees for Leno etc.. would oil the cogs nicely

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #25 on: August 02, 2013, 11:22:01 AM »
And again , my comment. Surely there are members of the Flat Earth Society who are experts in those fields who would volunteer their services for no fees or charges.

EDITED LATER :
Also a suggestion that there should also be a "Flat Earth Atlas" with detailed maps and photographs of the Ice Ring for example should be another project. Surely the FES could hire some balloons to take overhead views of the Ice Ring.
« Last Edit: August 02, 2013, 11:37:29 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #26 on: August 02, 2013, 11:22:09 AM »

In general, it is unreasonable.  I was merely saying it was reasonable compared to the insanely unreasonable request previously put forth.

from a man who is convinced the earth is flat based on the findings of a woman standing in a canal

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #27 on: August 02, 2013, 11:31:05 AM »
Monkeybradders
I mean no disrespect and this post is probably going to be deleted since it is off topic. I don't mean to de-rail the subject. Please get back to the FE Map Project after this brief interlude.

Just thought I would lighten up the thread  a bit.

Monkerbradders
Your avatar reminds me of the old Aggie Joke.:
The Aggie pointed the revolver at his head  and said to his wife , "Don't laugh ! You're next ! "  ;D

Groan. My apologies are offered to the FES . Also to fellow Aggies. :'(

Chorus:

« Reply #28 on: August 02, 2013, 11:44:03 AM »
maybe we could all chip in and hire a Zetetic cartographer?

« Reply #29 on: August 02, 2013, 11:46:29 AM »

GPS I can understand--they're government-fed. But what's wrong with sextants. That's using direct observation--something I though Zetetics held most dearly.