What causes the tides?

• 36 Replies
?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
Re: What causes the tides?
« Reply #30 on: July 31, 2013, 11:25:00 PM »
The flaw in your logic is that your map of the globe is wrong, so you see inconsistency.

Latitudes and longitudes are pretty easy to measure, and no matter what shape the earth is, longitudes at least are definitely going to be correct. So when two locations 180° of longitude apart have a high tide at the same time, and the two locations halfway in between have a low tide, it's good, solid data. No inconsistency there.

You cannot say that the Earth is flat because tides don't match what we would expect to see on a globe with gravity.

Now it's right.

Put a bit of study in man. Look up some records, go through some data. Oh, and try that saucer thing! If you can get sloshing that gives you consistent tide-like motions with peaks 180° apart and troughs in between, I'd be very interested!
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #31 on: August 05, 2013, 09:20:51 AM »
Gravity is just a word people made up to explain why things fall.  No one knows how it works or what causes it.  The best thing we know at this moment is that mass seems to want to be close to other mass.

Which is named....?

Right

...gravity.

You know the truth, you just do not want to accept it.

« Reply #32 on: August 05, 2013, 09:24:04 AM »
Your reading comprehension needs some work. I said this has been demonstrated on the Vomit Comet, not that there is an elevator on the Vomit Comet. Look at videos of it. Additionally, ask any high schooler in a basic physics class about what happens when you have two accelerations cancel out...the net force equals zero. An elevator going up at 9.8 m/s2 would cancel out the downward acceleration of 9.8 m/s2 which would result in a net force of zero. Since the tilting of the the in saucer is because of gravity (which you claim doesn't exists so your entire model cannot work). Your model cannot work because the water moving from side to side is, to reiterate, because of gravity. Your model does not explain where this gravity like force comes from, how the imbalances in the earth (which would cause the tilt because of gravity pulling at each side) do not cause it to spin out of control, or what is keeping me on the ground since gravity doesn't exist?

Ok, so it was a thought experiment after all, and one you couldn't have got more wrong. I have not been on an elevator, but I have been on the Superman ride at Six Flags. I can tell you firsthand, that accelerating upwards does not decrease your apparent weight--it increases it. Gravity comes from the universal accelerator (UA) where dark matter reacts with the bottom of the Earth, propelling it at a constant acceleration of 32.2ft/s^2 and causing the force that pushes up on our feet and all things here.

Right and tell me how does that fit in with the difference in gravity at different regions of the world? You weigh more at the poles than at the equator. This would NOT be possible if the earth was accelerating at a constant speed.

http://www.gnomeexperiment.com/

You know the truth, you just do not want to accept it.

« Reply #33 on: August 05, 2013, 09:56:36 AM »
Okay, guys, we're getting off-topic. This is about how there can be a high tide on opposite sides of a flat Earth.

« Reply #34 on: August 05, 2013, 03:21:45 PM »
Alex, you can't. Unless you live on a spherical earth.

« Reply #35 on: September 06, 2013, 07:13:21 AM »
Try skydiving with your little tea saucer...once you reach terminal velocity you will find that it no longer tilts from side to side.

Another thought-experiment.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #36 on: September 06, 2013, 02:22:36 PM »
Try skydiving with your little tea saucer...once you reach terminal velocity you will find that it no longer tilts from side to side.

Another thought-experiment.

Actually, it's something you could realistically do, so it's not just a thought experiment.

Still does nothing to explain the tides though.
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."