Now Playing (the Video Game Version!)

• 334 Replies
?

Blanko

• Terrorist
Re: Now Playing (the Video Game Version!)
« Reply #270 on: November 24, 2013, 05:15:49 PM »
So, I bought this:

It should arrive tomorrow. Feel free to recommend games, I'm already pretty set on getting Kid Icarus and Animal Crossing.

I'm surprised, but I'm not sure why.

I've got this figured out for you, bud. It's because I hate video games.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #271 on: November 24, 2013, 06:14:29 PM »
I was very, very surprised. I'm getting it too, however. :D Soon...

Anyway, if you get Animal Crossing we may have to find each other! I'm gonna get Pokémon X as well if there are some deals around here for Black Friday.

Also, wow, I just realized you're getting Animal Crossing. Now that I did not expect.
Recently listened to:

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #272 on: November 24, 2013, 06:29:49 PM »
I dunno why you guys are surprised. I play video games, hello... I have like every 7th gen console, too...
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 06:31:32 PM by Blanko »

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #273 on: November 24, 2013, 06:57:26 PM »
Yes, but I assumed you hated anything that wasn't up to your artistic and gaming standards. I mean...Animal Crossing? I love it to death, but I'd've imagined you going "flawed gameplay, little to no depth, too easy, incoherent storyline, character always looking to his/her upper-right, not enough character customization, didn't make me feel anything, -4/10 would sell". :P

Not to mention you've never come off as a Nintendo type to me. I imagined you having a PC, PS3 and little else. Then giving a "modern Zeldas are just terrible, no good ones since Minish Cap, no good Marios since Super Mario Bros. 3, Nintendo needs to do software not hardware, 10/100 would not bang" review.

Obviously I'm poking fun (sort of!), but yeah, definitely did not imagine you playing anything that wasn't hardcore Dark Souls difficulty and strategy.
Recently listened to:

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #274 on: November 24, 2013, 07:03:19 PM »
Obviously I'm poking fun (sort of!), but yeah, definitely did not imagine you playing anything that wasn't hardcore Dark Souls difficulty and strategy.

Remember when Blanko played Skyrim and liked it?

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #275 on: November 24, 2013, 07:05:33 PM »
I like modern Zeldas, just not Skyward Sword... and since I do like Minish Cap a lot, it makes sense for me to want to play the first proper top-down Zelda (not counting the DS games, because you know) since Minish Cap, no?

And I don't really care for "hardcore". I like games with good mechanics and design. Not being handholding as fuck is usually good design in my books, which Dark Souls does do to some extent, but that's not the main reason I like it. Most of my favourite games are actually pretty easy. Also, I think the Wii was by far the best 7th gen console in terms of exclusives, and that's not just first party games.

Also, since you mentioned Animal Crossing... did you end up getting that instead of Dark Souls? Supes pls

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #276 on: November 24, 2013, 07:30:36 PM »
That's true. I guess I just visualize you cynically and find it hard to imagine you liking things in general. :P

And apparently A Link Between Worlds lets you go off and do whatever you want from the start, so. :D

But wow, I'm very surprised to hear you say that about the Wii.

And finally...no, I haven't gotten anything yet. I wanted to have them by this last weekend, but that didn't happen. As for what I'm going to get...I'm torn. I can either get the Zelda 3DS + Animal Crossing and Pokémon X, or I can get the 3DS and be forced to choose between one of the two and get Dark Souls.

Believe me when I say I really do want to play Dark Souls. But, unless there's a good deal which leaves me with enough money to buy both those and Dark Souls, I'm finding it a little hard to justify, mainly because I'm not really sure where I'd play it. :[ There's a smaller in the living room here but it's kind of...painful. It's maybe 20-something inches and playing games on it makes it quite hard to see everything that's going on, maybe since I'm used to my friend's 42-inch TV. This wouldn't be a problem if he left his TV here, but he just got a girlfriend and moved in with her within the past few weeks so I am left with that TV. And I definitely do not have the money to throw around for a new TV.
Recently listened to:

Vindictus

« Reply #277 on: November 24, 2013, 07:42:23 PM »
I'd recommend getting Dark Souls over Pokemon X, assuming your tastes are anything like mine as I liked Dark Souls a lot more than Pokemon Y. Since you're having TV issues though you should probably get Pokemon X instead.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #278 on: November 24, 2013, 07:51:01 PM »
If you had a PC that could run Dark Souls, I'd just gift a copy to you on Steam the next time a sale comes around. I've bought the game like six fucking times already.

And about the Wii, don't get me wrong, I don't like the boatloads of shovelware that is on the system. But to me they're in the same category as every shallow CINEMATIC ADVENTURE/SHOOTER on the PS360, I simply don't care about them so I ignore them. The system just happens to somehow have a decent library of exclusives. Just off the top of my head, and not counting first-parties, there's Monster Hunter Tri, Muramasa, No More Heroes and NMH2, Rhythm Heaven Fever, Red Steel 2, Silent Hill: Shattered Memories, Sonic Colors, and motherfucking TRAUMA CENTER. On the PS3 and 360, there's Demon's Souls... and The Last of Us was decent... Dragon's Dogma was only on the two systems... I don't even know what else is there. Once again, I didn't even count the first party games. It also helps that the Wii is easily moddable, giving me *cough* more convenient access to the library.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2013, 07:52:45 PM by Blanko »

Vindictus

« Reply #279 on: November 24, 2013, 07:58:42 PM »
I didn't like Dark Souls on the PC, it's definitely suited to the consoles more. I stopped playing mostly because I'm using my controller elsewhere and I got too busy leading up to the end of the semester, but getting the controller working to begin with is a pain in the ass. Also sucks that it only works with one device at a time.

I've bought the game like six fucking times already.

why

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #280 on: November 24, 2013, 08:03:08 PM »
I've bought the game like six fucking times already.

why

First on the 360 when it came out, then on the PC when that version came out, then on the PS3 because I was PvPing really actively at the time and wanted to get in on the PS3 side of the community as well. The rest were gifted/traded Steam copies.

Also, having bad mouse/keyboard controls doesn't necessarily mean it's better on consoles. It still looks and performs better on PC, despite being a shoddy port.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #281 on: November 24, 2013, 08:23:55 PM »
Why don't games on Steam allow you the option of changing the controls?  That would solve a lot of problems.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #282 on: November 24, 2013, 08:32:19 PM »
Why don't games on Steam allow you the option of changing the controls?  That would solve a lot of problems.

Well, they do have options. Being able to rebind keyboard controls and adjusting your mouse sensitivity is standard for PC games, and you can do that in Dark Souls, but it's not enough when the controls, most often the camera controls, are just fundamentally bad. Even though there are mods to make it a lot better in Dark Souls' case, it's still pretty apparent that the game required a more thorough overhaul of its control scheme to suit mouse and keyboard, as direct translation doesn't really work out for the game.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #283 on: November 24, 2013, 08:35:10 PM »
So, then, is the PC version better than the console versions if you just use a DualShock/360 controller?

And definitely agree with you on the Wii. I played that to death. Just sucks that a bit later on it was hard to find good exclusives. :[
Recently listened to:

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #284 on: November 24, 2013, 08:37:42 PM »
So, then, is the PC version better than the console versions if you just use a DualShock/360 controller?

Well, like I said. It looks and performs better. So yeah, if you have a decent PC, it's better.

Vindictus

« Reply #285 on: November 24, 2013, 09:56:20 PM »

And definitely agree with you on the Wii. I played that to death. Just sucks that a bit later on it was hard to find good exclusives. :[

Yeah, it's better, but for a pleb like me the controller set up really soured the experience.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #286 on: November 24, 2013, 10:00:09 PM »
Yeah, Dualshock is annoying to set up due to lolnodrivers. 360 controller is straight-up plug and play, though.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #287 on: November 25, 2013, 03:30:16 AM »
I've already got MotioninJoy and have set up the Dualshock to simulate a 360 controller, so that wouldn't be too much an issue. Not that it matters since, yeah, crappy PC.
Recently listened to:

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #288 on: November 26, 2013, 02:57:07 PM »
So I'm trying World of Warcraft because why not.
Recently listened to:

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #289 on: November 26, 2013, 05:59:54 PM »
rip supes

I got my 3DS. It's pretty. And cool. I bought Ocarina 3D because why not, and Animal Crossing. ALBW is great.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #290 on: November 26, 2013, 06:12:45 PM »

Because it's shit.  And given your financial woes, you won't be able to pay for a subscription, so there's no point in getting yourself addicted to it.

Alchemist21

• tfes.org
« Reply #291 on: November 26, 2013, 06:20:53 PM »
I'm considering getting Final Fantasy XIV for ps3. Does anyone know how much data the game uses?
tfes.org

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #292 on: November 26, 2013, 06:51:15 PM »
Posting from my 3DS because I can, ha ha!

This browser is awful, actually...

Vindictus

« Reply #293 on: November 26, 2013, 06:58:30 PM »

Not worth it anymore.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #294 on: November 26, 2013, 07:52:01 PM »
every shallow CINEMATIC ADVENTURE/SHOOTER on the PS360

Tell me more.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #295 on: November 26, 2013, 07:53:47 PM »
every shallow CINEMATIC ADVENTURE/SHOOTER on the PS360

Tell me more.

Struck a nerve.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #296 on: November 26, 2013, 09:47:52 PM »
No, I was just looking for some elaboration as to what games in particular you were referring to with that.  I don't know many shooters that are touted as being super-cinematic or marvelous simply in terms of the story.  Uncharted is the only one that came to mind right away.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #297 on: November 26, 2013, 09:55:54 PM »
Not necessarily "touted", but just in general the huge amount of focus on setpieces over actual level design. Uncharted is pretty much the most blatant example, but virtually any modern shooter is like that.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #298 on: November 27, 2013, 02:50:26 PM »
rip supes
Because it's shit.  And given your financial woes, you won't be able to pay for a subscription, so there's no point in getting yourself addicted to it.

Yeah, no worries about that, it wasn't very good. Took around two hours before I decided I was really bored. :P

And I should have had my 3DS last Friday. Then I should have had it Monday. Then Tuesday. Then I went to get it today...but couldn't because the lady at my bank had lied and my money was in the account yet. Despite the fact that the site said it was. So fucking Friday. I cannot even begin to explain how frustrated I am and how insane I'm going from this constant getting super excited and then being super let down. >:[[[[[
Recently listened to:

Lorddave

« Reply #299 on: November 27, 2013, 03:48:38 PM »

That's why I use free servers.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.