Groundhogs?

• 9 Replies
Groundhogs?
« on: July 17, 2013, 03:36:55 PM »
Placed in Flat Earth Q&A because I'd like to ask a question to Flat Earthers.

I recently made a topic about unanswered threads, hoping it was merely time and obscurity that had left these gems in the rough. Sadly, many are still ignored. Upon searching for a post to which I had thought of a good reply, I found many threads discussing the same topic, none of which have been answered. I'll post below:

The Southern Cross and Northern Star, last posted 2006-10-24: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,5911
Beneath the Southern Cross I Stand..., last posted 2007-02-27: http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,10782
Stars and the Southern Cross, last posted 2008-1-13
Silver Bullet Against FET, last posted 2012-06-03
how can we see the Crux, last posted 2013-01-17

All of these final posts were by non-Flat-Earth advocates. None of them have been answered by Flat-Earth advocates.

The mood thus set up, my question about FET (and to Flat-Earth advocates) is this: why have these questions gone unanswered? Is there any plan to answer them in the future?

I'd like answers from Flat-Earth advocates only, as any answer from a Round-Earth advocate might only be speculation and is this detrimental to this question. Thank you.

Question for the moderators/administrators

Also, whenever I try to post more than three embedded urls (with the [ url ] tags) I get this error:
Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource /forum/index.php could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

Re: Groundhogs?
« Reply #1 on: July 18, 2013, 04:09:34 PM »
50 Views and 25 hours later, still no answer. I don't wish to jump to conclusions about an entire theory without allowing the theory to defend itself properly. I've seen John Davis has been marginally active as of late. I'd hate to take time away from his schedule, but this doesn't seem like it'd be a difficult question.

There's now a thread that lists the threads that have been unanswered, which can be read here, but does not contain the threads in the above post.

If this forum is for people to ask questions about the Flat Earth Theory, then why are not these questions being answered? Relatedly, why is not the question of why they're not being answered not being answered?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2013, 07:45:50 PM »
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of unresolved threads on this site.  What makes these threads so special?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2013, 07:56:55 PM »
To be perfectly honest, I just don't care enough to spend my time writing detailed answers to every thread some angry noob posts. It's not like I'm going to convince them. They're too wrapped up in their arrogance.

So yeah, sometimes threads are allowed to die. Sometimes it's because we forget about them. Believe it or not, they really don't make a huge impact on us. Sometimes we never notice them in the first place. Sometimes it's because we don't have the energy to make the long post the thread requires. Sometimes we decide to leave it to one of the other posters, and they decide to leave it to us. Sometimes a user like Scepti takes over a thread and we leave it to its fate. Sometimes the angry noob in question is just too insufferable to deal with. Sometimes I don't log into the society at all for a week or two.

You have to understand, this isn't my job. It's not my duty. I feel no responsibility towards the site beyond my duties as editor. I'm a  Flat Earth Theorest. That doesn't mean I have to spend three hours a day answering questions.

« Reply #4 on: July 18, 2013, 08:19:44 PM »
Thank you for answering. I apologize if my demeanor has been or is ... English fails me ... rude? Anyway, I don't mean any insult. I can understand your frustration in the matter, and if I can I'd like to also apologize for the frustrating people on the RE side of things.

On that note, I merely asked because I wished to know how the flat-Earth hypothesis handles the various questions posed by myself and others--questions that are observationally valid despite being possibly wrongly asked.

So thank you for answering the question at hand, and may your days shine bright and the rain fall when needed.

« Reply #5 on: July 18, 2013, 08:26:42 PM »
There are hundreds, if not thousands, of unresolved threads on this site.  What makes these threads so special?

Because those threads--threads involving easily-observable phenomena (and easily confirmed in today's day and age) hold the most power. If a viable flat-earth hypothesis is to be formed it must explain these phenomena.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #6 on: July 19, 2013, 10:53:12 AM »

Because those threads--threads involving easily-observable phenomena (and easily confirmed in today's day and age) hold the most power. If a viable flat-earth hypothesis is to be formed it must explain these phenomena.

There is a simple explanation for this somewhere on another thread. On must subjects there is no Flat Earth answer to the most simple facts. I believe it's called "denial." It also falls into the areas of "de-railing" and "trolling" when Flat Earth can't come up with an answer.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 20, 2013, 02:23:33 PM »

Also, whenever I try to post more than three embedded urls (with the [ url ] tags) I get this error:
Not Acceptable

An appropriate representation of the requested resource /forum/index.php could not be found on this server.

Additionally, a 404 Not Found error was encountered while trying to use an ErrorDocument to handle the request.

The server we are using employees very strict anti-spamming features. When you post too many links, or certain forbidden words (try posting the name of a popular male sexual enhancement drug) it thinks your a spam bot trying to sell things.  The 404 error is because the server is trying to redirect you to a page that doesn't exist after it denies your post.  These issues are known and I hope they do not cause you too many problems.

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2013, 12:42:06 PM »

Not Acceptable

The server we are using employees very strict anti-spamming features. When you post too many links, or certain forbidden words (try posting the name of a popular male sexual enhancement drug) it thinks your a spam bot trying to sell things.  The 404 error is because the server is trying to redirect you to a page that doesn't exist after it denies your post.  These issues are known and I hope they do not cause you too many problems.

Okay. I thought it may have been something like that. I'll just keep posting raw urls for threads/pictures/etc. Thanks!

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2013, 02:00:45 PM »

There is a simple explanation for this somewhere on another thread. On must subjects there is no Flat Earth answer to the most simple facts. I believe it's called "denial." It also falls into the areas of "de-railing" and "trolling" when Flat Earth can't come up with an answer.

I would feel more comfortable if they occasionally admitted they didn't know the answer.  So many times it's like their last post is "You're wrong!" and then pretend to never read our replies with sources, webcams, and other valid content.

It's completely understandable that if you don't have a working model of sun, moon, earth and stars that you can't explain how it all works.  The problem is saying "I don't know" is a starting point.  And for a society that heavily relies on a book written in the 1800's, "I don't know" is the last thing they want to get to.  Because that would be a starting point for a lot of work ahead of them.

Keyboard warriors do not go out and observe the Earth.
Quote from: Heiwa
You are ignoring this user. Show me the post.