Is Round Earth Doctrine Ancestor Worship?

• 26 Replies
Is Round Earth Doctrine Ancestor Worship?
« on: July 15, 2013, 09:02:45 AM »
The principles of Round Earth Doctrine including Gravity and celestial bodies outside of the dome seem to amount to no less than ancestor worship in many ways. The Round Earth Indoctrinated are content and even threatened by the possibility that their parents (and their representatives: school teachers) could be wrong. While I commend them for their respect of the tradition of their elders, I am similarly disappointed that they completely lack a respect for truth by disregarding observable facts and any evidence that conflicts or is inconsistent with their doctrine. A society or a culture in the modern age that cannot bring itself to sever ties with the past with stagnate technologically and eventually destroy itself.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
Re: Is Round Earth Doctrine Ancestor Worship?
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2013, 09:07:57 AM »
The principles of Round Earth Doctrine including Gravity and celestial bodies outside of the dome seem to amount to no less than ancestor worship in many ways. The Round Earth Indoctrinated are content and even threatened by the possibility that their parents (and their representatives: school teachers) could be wrong. While I commend them for their respect of the tradition of their elders, I am similarly disappointed that they completely lack a respect for truth by disregarding observable facts and any evidence that conflicts or is inconsistent with their doctrine. A society or a culture in the modern age that cannot bring itself to sever ties with the past with stagnate technologically and eventually destroy itself.

Its all fine and good for you to impose your interpretation on to others, but that does not make it accurate.  When I contemplate the absurdity of FE hypotheses, there is no thought of my parents or teachers.  This is a ridiculous assertion about the content of a point of view you are assuming all people who believe in a RE hold.  Furthermore, I do not believe dead people have a continued existence after death, which is part of the definition of ancestor worship.

In regards to severing ties with the past, tell me when you are burning your copy of EnaG and I will be sure to be there to celebrate with you.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2013, 09:20:36 AM »
It's more the worship of modern orthodoxy than the worship of individual's or globularism's pythagorean roots.

Like other zealots, they become enraged at any difference of doctrine. The idea that someone's thoughts or views do not agree with theirs results in an apoplectic fit.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2013, 09:23:51 AM by Ski »
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2013, 09:24:48 AM »

Its all fine and good for you to impose your interpretation on to others, but that does not make it accurate.  When I contemplate the absurdity of FE hypotheses, there is no thought of my parents or teachers.  This is a ridiculous assertion about the content of a point of view you are assuming all people who believe in a RE hold.  Furthermore, I do not believe dead people have a continued existence after death, which is part of the definition of ancestor worship.

There is no thought of your parents; but you view any statements through the lenses of how they indoctrinated you; and you pass on their thoughts and ideas to your offspring. If immortality of an idea is not immortality, I don't know what is.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2013, 09:30:01 AM »
It's more the worship of modern orthodoxy than the worship of individual's or globularism's pythagorean roots.

Like other zealots, they become enraged at any difference of doctrine. The idea that someone's thoughts or views do not agree with theirs results in an apoplectic fit.

Well don't be a drama-queen about it.  I have never been apoplectic or enraged on this website.  Maybe at sceptimatic, but thats it.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2013, 09:32:16 AM »
There is no thought of your parents; but you view any statements through the lenses of how they indoctrinated you; and you pass on their thoughts and ideas to your offspring. If immortality of an idea is not immortality, I don't know what is.

This can be said of anyone, and has nothing whatsoever to do with ancestor worship.  It is also not a ubiquitous phenomenon.  I pass on some of the ideas of the previous generation and not others.

You can try and paint others with this brush of yours, but from where I am sitting, it looks like an immature assessment of people's belief systems.

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2013, 09:34:29 AM »

This can be said of anyone, and has nothing whatsoever to do with ancestor worship.  It is also not a ubiquitous phenomenon.  I pass on some of the ideas of the previous generation and not others.

You can try and paint others with this brush of yours, but from where I am sitting, it looks like an immature assessment of people's belief systems.

So you're saying that the Round Earth Doctrine is a belief system? I tend to agree.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2013, 09:44:01 AM »

Well don't be a drama-queen about it.  I have never been apoplectic or enraged on this website.  Maybe at sceptimatic, but thats it.

Well, I've met nothing like the response to my beliefs in the shape of the earth except that of various zealots. With rare exception, globularists here come in two shapes: people without a clue who come to mock something they do not understand, or people who are irritated by the presence of something they do not understand.

I know many people who believe ridiculous things. I've never felt a desire to visit an astrology website and argue with the people there, nevermind being upset by them. Live and let live.

"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2013, 10:02:13 AM »

Well, I've met nothing like the response to my beliefs in the shape of the earth except that of various zealots. With rare exception, globularists here come in two shapes: people without a clue who come to mock something they do not understand, or people who are irritated by the presence of something they do not understand.

I know many people who believe ridiculous things. I've never felt a desire to visit an astrology website and argue with the people there, nevermind being upset by them. Live and let live.

Fair enough, but surely you do not think that the attitude of FEers is analogous to Astrologists?  REers who post here are routinely called brainwashed, indoctrinated, liars, ignorant and all sorts of goodies.  I am not so ignorant as to say that this is completely the fault of FEers, as there is an antagonistic vibe that easily takes hold, but attitudes like yours ("With rare exception, Globularists come here in two shapes...") do nothing to make REers, welcome your alternative viewpoint.

Again, I am not trying to exhonerate REers who become antagonistic, but rather try and show that the antagonism is not exclusively due to a desire to belittle a viewpoint that differs from their's.  Of course those people exist, and are common, but those who come here to try and figure what the heck you guys are talking about is not as rare as you are purporting them to be.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2013, 10:12:00 AM »
Fair enough, but surely you do not think that the attitude of FEers is analogous to Astrologists?
I simply picked something I thought was ridiculous. 

REers who post here are routinely called brainwashed, indoctrinated, liars, ignorant and all sorts of goodies.
And routinely, the shoe fits.  :-\

I am not so ignorant as to say that this is completely the fault of FEers, as there is an antagonistic vibe that easily takes hold, but attitudes like yours ("With rare exception, Globularists come here in two shapes...") do nothing to make REers, welcome your alternative viewpoint.
... those who come here to try and figure what the heck you guys are talking about is not as rare as you are purporting them to be.
There are probably a good number of people who visit and never register or post who do not fit that description. The simply curious poster is rare. I'm not trying to discourage those posters in anyway. And for the record, there are posters pretending a belief in a flat earth whose removal I would not miss in the slightest, either.  The perception of ratios might be different due to the number of low-content/insulting/useless posts that are removed.

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2013, 10:25:50 AM »

Please, inform me of a time I've become enraged at a difference of doctrine. My arguments have been level-headed and logical, and more often than not met with a simple 'incorrect' or 'you're stupid' with no attempt to provide a counter-argument.

.... Okay, mostly from Scepti and Bogous.

I've never felt a desire to visit an astrology website and argue with the people there, nevermind being upset by them. Live and let live.

Except astrological people don't say there are scientific reasons why their beliefs hold true. They are clearly and absolutely outside science and reason (not to belittle such beliefs, but to say that they believe it not for science but for belief's sake).

Flat Earth, on the other hand, claims science, reason, and observation support their beliefs.

If someone wants to believe in the Four Basic Elements, that's fine by me, and they can do that until the cows come home for all I care. But when they start claiming that elemental chemistry is a farse, and that the Four Basic Elements is scientifically valid, they have entered an entirely different ring.

And for the record, I came here to see how much logic and reason FE could ignore or explain away with magic.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2013, 10:59:49 AM »
That's silly, because it would be incredibly exciting to find out that our scientific "ancestors" were all wrong. That's what got me interested in this site, because I was curious to see if someone could really come up with a flat Earth model that really works. So far I don't see any serious challenge to the accepted round Earth model. And when I'm asked to accept a conspiracy theory instead of the best evidence we have (photographs taken from space), it does nothing but compound the problem. Now, not only do you have to find a way to fit observations to a model that doesn't support them (airline flight paths and times, star paths in North and South hemispheres, etc), but you need to provide real evidence of this alleged conspiracy, of which I've seen exactly none.

So in answer to the question in the OP, no, it's definitely not ancestor worship, certainly not in my case, and not for anyone else I've ever read or heard about.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2013, 11:10:33 AM »
That's silly, because it would be incredibly exciting to find out that our scientific "ancestors" were all wrong. That's what got me interested in this site, because I was curious to see if someone could really come up with a flat Earth model that really works. So far I don't see any serious challenge to the accepted round Earth model. And when I'm asked to accept a conspiracy theory instead of the best evidence we have (photographs taken from space), it does nothing but compound the problem. Now, not only do you have to find a way to fit observations to a model that doesn't support them (airline flight paths and times, star paths in North and South hemispheres, etc), but you need to provide real evidence of this alleged conspiracy, of which I've seen exactly none.

So in answer to the question in the OP, no, it's definitely not ancestor worship, certainly not in my case, and not for anyone else I've ever read or heard about.
I suppose this is equivocation by one or both of us on the word "worship". Certainly by respecting and relaying the beliefs of your ancestors (you've acknowledged that this is your practice), you are showing them honour. That, in my mind, is "worship". Now if you want to take the term and define it as way many religions practice ancestor worship in the Orient, then I would say it is not technically the same.

?

darknavyseal

• Round Earth, for sure, maybe.
« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2013, 11:44:37 AM »
Ancestors: Circa 3000-5000 years ago. Thought the Earth was flat.
Ancestors: Circa 2000 years ago. Thought the Earth was flat.
Ancestors: Circa 500-600 years ago. Thought the Earth was round.

Am I missing something? It seems to me that the Flat Earth Society is doing "Ancestor worship", not us roundies. I see nothing wrong with believing something our ancient ancestors did, but Muggsy brought it up. Why is it bad?

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2013, 12:01:58 PM »

I suppose this is equivocation by one or both of us on the word "worship". Certainly by respecting and relaying the beliefs of your ancestors (you've acknowledged that this is your practice), you are showing them honour. That, in my mind, is "worship". Now if you want to take the term and define it as way many religions practice ancestor worship in the Orient, then I would say it is not technically the same.

Where have I acknowledged that "respecting and relaying the beliefs of your ancestors" is my "practice"? I don't really think of any scientists as my "ancestors". That's your word, which is why I put it in quotes. By studying and trying to understand scientific theories, I'm not trying to form a "belief system", I'm just trying to understand the world. The fact that some of these theories were developed over the course of centuries doesn't mean that I venerate and honour the people who proposed them first, and take it as dogma out of unquestioning belief in their "rightness", or something like that. They were men (mostly) that got some things right and increased our understanding. I still have respect for them for this reason, even the ones that got things wrong. And many of the great scientists in history got some things wrong. We just fixed the things that were wrong when we discovered them (by "we" I mean people today in general, including scientists) and advanced the theories.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2013, 12:18:02 PM »

Am I missing something? It seems to me that the Flat Earth Society is doing "Ancestor worship", not us roundies. I see nothing wrong with believing something our ancient ancestors did, but Muggsy brought it up. Why is it bad?
So now you're going to start equivocating on the word "ancestor"?

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2013, 04:04:42 PM »

I am not sure how you could say Darknavyseal was equivocating unless you are strictly defining ancestor in some way that is not evident. 

?

darknavyseal

• Round Earth, for sure, maybe.
« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2013, 11:43:11 PM »

???

1. A huge majority of our "ancestors" believed the Earth was flat.
2. Why is it a bad thing to believe what our more recent ancestors believe? Is that a problem? Our knowledge has been building on itself for hundreds of years. Of course we don't throw away everything our ancestors invested in.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2013, 01:56:13 PM »

Please, inform me of a time I've become enraged at a difference of doctrine. My arguments have been level-headed and logical
Then don't assume the generalization applied to you.

.... Okay, mostly from Scepti and Bogous.
Well, there's your problem.

I've never felt a desire to visit an astrology website and argue with the people there, nevermind being upset by them. Live and let live.

Except astrological people don't say there are scientific reasons why their beliefs hold true. They are clearly and absolutely outside science and reason (not to belittle such beliefs, but to say that they believe it not for science but for belief's sake).

Flat Earth, on the other hand, claims science, reason, and observation support their beliefs.

As they do.

If someone wants to believe in the Four Basic Elements, that's fine by me, and they can do that until the cows come home for all I care. But when they start claiming that elemental chemistry is a farse, and that the Four Basic Elements is scientifically valid, they have entered an entirely different ring.
It is entirely different, only because you hold the scientific orthodoxy as canon. The reason it is different than astrology to you, is that it has challenged your notion of acceptable and that the orthodoxy alone has the keys with which to interpret the universe using science, reason and observation.

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2013, 02:23:14 PM »
It is entirely different, only because you hold the scientific orthodoxy as canon. The reason it is different than astrology to you, is that it has challenged your notion of acceptable and that the orthodoxy alone has the keys with which to interpret the universe using science, reason and observation.

I'd love to find another way to view the universe using science, reason, and observation! Unfortunately, what I've discovered here is less science, reason, and observation and more an extreme case of confirmation bias and circular reasoning.

With a few exceptions, the posts of the moderators and the light do seem to be highly based on reason and observation, if not science, but unfortunately y'all* seem a bit absent in the as of yet unanswered posts:

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,58042.0.html#.UeW3UI3U9KJ
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,59191.0.html#.UeW2vI3U9KI
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,59200.0.html#.UeW2to3U9KI
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,56592.0.html#.UeW21I3U9KI
http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,59224.0.html#.UeW2443U9KI

If a theory is to be true, it should provide measurable predictions and explanations regarding the universe--things that can be compared with observation. So far, neither Astrology nor Alchemy nor Flat Earth has done anything. Those FE models that were supposed to explain observations fail to explain them, or explain them only as accurately as 'traditional' models. And when these errors are brought up, the only response--if there is any at all--is one regarding semantics, that is if the whole thread isn't derailed entirely.

Until these concerns are (listed above) have been answered, Flat Earth should not claim to be a scientific idea.

*English needs a 'you all' personal pronoun. All the cool languages are doing it!

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2013, 02:30:32 PM »
I'm sure I'm absent in more than 90% of the threads on this board. I don't believe in "bendy" light or electromagnetic acceleration or whatever the trolls have named their latest "theory". That's probably why I'm absent in those threads. I have nothing useful to contribute.

I'd love to find another way to view the universe using science, reason, and observation!

And again, the only way to view the universe is the accepted view of the orthodoxy. Any other viewpoint must be maligned. It must not be "reasonable" or "scientific", at all cost. Which is ironic considering the orthodoxiphilic "saints" of previous generations have been so very wrong, even when measured against the shifting sands of the doctrines of orthodoxy.

« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:36:57 PM by Ski »

Username

• Administrator
  • President of The Flat Earth Society
« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2013, 02:31:48 PM »

Nicely put. We are a bigotry or even nobility magnet in many ways, or so I've been thinking lately. Its an interesting situation.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2013, 02:34:22 PM by John Davis »

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2013, 03:10:41 PM »

Nicely put. We are a bigotry or even nobility magnet in many ways, or so I've been thinking lately. Its an interesting situation.

I think you're making a false dichotomy there Ski. Even though you allow for it as a "rare exception", I think there are a significant number of posters (myself included) that simply want to understand FET, and see if it has any merit. Where it turns to mockery and irritation, at least in my case, is when you get flippant, 2 word answers, and denial of facts and basic logic in preference to a pet theory.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: July 17, 2013, 07:55:20 AM »
Enlightened individuals who come here, like those you talk of that are simply interested in our theories, are better served by reading a book, working on their own worldview, or helping us decide what to do with the constant flow of undesirables.

Everything you can get from the Flat Earth Society as an outsider can be realized by simply accepting us and all insane points of view. While we could "dump" our knowledge into their heads via forum thread, threads exist already that deal with almost every conceivable question. Our theories are extremely personal, differing from theorist to theorist, suggesting a pluralistic truth. Trying to get through the trolls, which are in my eyes the undesirable element that stuck around to fuck with other of the same element, to reach real information is difficult.

Regardless of whether or not *all* new comers are what ski describes, a sizable portion are. We can do some real good for these folks that come here to treat us like shit.

« Reply #24 on: July 18, 2013, 05:26:14 PM »
While we could "dump" our knowledge into their heads via forum thread, threads exist already that deal with almost every conceivable question.

I edit your post not to for any reason other than to point to the part related to that of which I wish to ask.

You claim threads exist that already deal with almost every question, and while that might be true, many of them remain unanswered--some for as long as 6 years. I have made two relevant posts concerning the matter, one being a collection of topics I and others have found that remain unanswered, the other being a direct question as to why these haven't been answered. You can find both topics by clicking the relevant links.

The reason I ask is that it would seem these questions would help refine the theories. Each deals with some flaw in the current theory which, if addressed, would only make your theories stronger. It seems if these fora were to either foster discussion about flat-earth theories or inform outsiders about said theories, you should be thanking us for presenting these topics instead of ignoring them, pretending they don't exist.

Username

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: July 19, 2013, 01:42:54 PM »
While we could "dump" our knowledge into their heads via forum thread, threads exist already that deal with almost every conceivable question.

I edit your post not to for any reason other than to point to the part related to that of which I wish to ask.

You claim threads exist that already deal with almost every question, and while that might be true, many of them remain unanswered--some for as long as 6 years. I have made two relevant posts concerning the matter, one being a collection of topics I and others have found that remain unanswered, the other being a direct question as to why these haven't been answered. You can find both topics by clicking the relevant links.

The reason I ask is that it would seem these questions would help refine the theories. Each deals with some flaw in the current theory which, if addressed, would only make your theories stronger. It seems if these fora were to either foster discussion about flat-earth theories or inform outsiders about said theories, you should be thanking us for presenting these topics instead of ignoring them, pretending they don't exist.

I'll go through them and see what's up with them and if I can answer the questions in the relative theories. I genuinely am interested in new questions and don't ignore threads. I just don't have time anymore to sit and go through every thread in the forums and answer each one when, more often than not, I will just be berated and ridiculed for doing so. I will do my best to get around to answering your questions. I doubt many show real holes in my work, but perhaps holes in other models.

To Start:
"What is the Earth's circumference at different latitudes?"
- A nonsensical question

Latitude questions in general:
- Multi-State Geography Model, discussed in upcoming book and on these forums several times

Light will be discussed in my upcoming book at length.

Weightlessness
- The IIS is not faked in the Davis model. As such, I consider this question answered.

Why is there a squirrel on Mars?
- There isn't or we don't know why.

Distance to the Moon
- impossible to determine without further data, however the answer is model dependent with many models claiming different distances.

Space Flight has 94 pages, I don't have time for it, I'd rather read a book. It clearly has been discussed both in that thread and elsewhere to death.  Space flight is impossible for most models. In mine we are simply misinterpreting the data.
« Last Edit: July 19, 2013, 01:50:28 PM by John Davis »

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #26 on: July 19, 2013, 02:41:18 PM »

I, too, have never been apoplectic or enraged at anyone on this website, and that includes sceptimatic.
Not even sceptimatic, but I have often been amused at sceptimatic.....along with sandokhan, thork and Tom Bishop, to name just a few.
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !