Flight distances - HOW does this fit the flat earth view?

• 79 Replies
« on: October 20, 2006, 03:33:12 PM »
I am aware of how believers in the flat earth see Earth - basically the way Earth is shown on the flag of the United Nations.

However .. if this is the case.. please explain to this.

If one considers earth to be a sphere, the distance between Sydney, Australia and Santiago, Chile and the distance between Berlin, Germany and San Francisco, USA, is about the same.

If one considers the world to be flat, the distance of Sydney to Santiago would be 2-3 times the distance between Berlin and San Francisco.

A flight from Berlin to San Francisco takes 11 hours and 10 minutes.
A flight from Santiago to Sydney takes 11 hours and 20 minutes.

HOW is this possible with a flat earth model?

« Reply #1 on: October 20, 2006, 03:37:20 PM »
I am not pro flat earth but in the FAQ it says the pilots take longer as a conspiracy.
he earth is a cube!

« Reply #2 on: October 20, 2006, 03:41:44 PM »
Generally, this is explained by the conspiracy, I dont think the pilots, but sensitive instruments could lie.
he man in black fled across the desert, and the gunslinger followed.

Advocatus Diaboli

« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2006, 03:43:10 PM »
Yes, but planes have windows. That you can look out. You can SEE that you're flying over ice most of the flight. No GPS misinformation can alter the picture you see when you open your eyes.

« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2006, 03:44:57 PM »
... What the hell are you talking about, when would you cross over large amounts of ice?

Advocatus Diaboli

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2006, 03:46:40 PM »
When flying over Antarctica?

Oh, right. It doesn't exist. Everyone that has ever been on a plane from Australia to South America is lying ..?

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2006, 03:48:16 PM »
No, you would just go down, go near antarctica, and then just keep on that track, until you get near antarctica and turn, how would they know the direction they are traveling?

Advocatus Diaboli

« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2006, 03:55:25 PM »
Quote from: "CrimsonKing"
No, you would just go down, go near antarctica, and then just keep on that track, until you get near antarctica and turn, how would they know the direction they are traveling?

a) if observant, you notice the slightest turns made on a flight. If not completely oblivious, you notice a 180° turn.

b) most of the flight is OVER Antarctica. YOu don't go near it, for most of the flight, you can see nothing else.

« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2006, 03:58:06 PM »
As it could be in my situation as well, you see ocean, ocean, ice, ice, ice, ice (as you're going along the Ice Wall/Antarctica) then ocean, ocean, destination.

and adressing a, not if the turn is only of a degree or so at a time, or at least, that is my experience in planes

Advocatus Diaboli

« Reply #9 on: October 20, 2006, 04:00:27 PM »
As it could be in my situation as well, you see ocean, ocean, ice, ice, ice, ice (as you're going along the Ice Wall/Antarctica) then ocean, ocean, destination.

and adressing a, not if the turn is only of a degree or so at a time, or at least, that is my experience in planes

The pilot would most definitely notice. The number of pilots employed on said routes is HUGE. Is every last one part of the conspiracy?

« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2006, 04:04:33 PM »
Not necesarily I was recently talking to my best friend's dad, who is a commercial pilot, about exactly this (hes literally my second father, we have some wierd conversations), He was telling me that seriously after a while, you dont care anymore, you just start zoning out after you know everything is doing its job correctly on autopilot.

Advocatus Diaboli

« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2006, 04:30:19 PM »
How can you mislead people about the amout of time they stay in the plane? Most of them have watches you know.

Also, I'm curious, what did your 2nd father tell you when you told him his GPS was feeding him wrong information and he was was flying around the world instead of in a straight line?
atttttttup was right when he said joseph bloom is right, The Engineer is a douchebag.

« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2006, 04:36:19 PM »
You get an A for effort, but an F for thinking outside the box.  

you cannot change time, but you can change speed, which is distance over time... so you can mislead them that way...

and he dead disagrees with the FE theory, but he said it is theoretically possible

Advocatus Diaboli

« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2006, 04:41:21 PM »
You get an A for effort, but an F for thinking outside the box.  

you cannot change time, but you can change speed, which is distance over time... so you can mislead them that way...

and he dead disagrees with the FE theory, but he said it is theoretically possible

You just said yourself that you don't think the pilots do.

Also, people could compare the time it takes by other means (bus, boat ect)  and figure out that planes, which have no obstacles and don,t have to go around anything, have been taking a ridiculous amount of time for years to make it across that same small distance. It never would have worked.
atttttttup was right when he said joseph bloom is right, The Engineer is a douchebag.

« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2006, 04:43:20 PM »
Have you heard of results either way, it is impossible to know what people "would" do

Advocatus Diaboli

« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2006, 04:47:42 PM »
Have you heard of results either way, it is impossible to know what people "would" do

If it was, psychology and marketing would be useless.

I'm sure you realise that people WOULD have wondered why planes took so long to make it across a short distance unhindered.

I think we can give this one to Space_Maze.

« Reply #16 on: October 20, 2006, 04:55:39 PM »
... Its not too short of a distance, and there is nothing to really compare it to, as you can't use any vehicle over the ice and the water and the mountains... so yea.

Advocatus Diaboli

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #17 on: October 20, 2006, 04:59:29 PM »
I would just like to point out that it is extremely rare for commercial flights to travel across 'Antarctica', apparantly due to the 'dangers' involved, in contrast with the large number of flights which go over the north pole. Some airlines do flights to and from different parts of 'Antarctica', but to the best of my knowledge commercial airlines do not use it as a shortcut between the two sides of the 'globe'. Flights to 'Antarctica' are almost exclusively related to tourism and science- I would dearly love to know which commercial airline flew you directly over the 'south pole'- more than likely, you simply skirted the edge.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #18 on: October 20, 2006, 05:11:34 PM »
Generally, this is explained by the conspiracy, I dont think the pilots, but sensitive instruments could lie.

Ohh yes... I'm assuming you have absolutely no idea how a GPS system is fabricated, operated or let alone used one. But hey! It threatens to disparage FE theory so let's proclaim it as part of a conspiracy.

« Reply #19 on: October 20, 2006, 05:19:45 PM »
I dont, others on this site do, and they have explained it, I am not able to do that, sorry

Advocatus Diaboli

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #20 on: October 20, 2006, 05:20:30 PM »
Quote from: "ciroc"

Ohh yes... I'm assuming you have absolutely no idea how a GPS system is fabricated, operated or let alone used one. But hey! It threatens to disparage FE theory so let's proclaim it as part of a conspiracy.

Just so you know, when you assume, it makes an ass out of  U &, well, thats pretty much it. Just you.

We understand exactly how we're told it works, but seeing as it is apparantly based on satellites, a field dominated by the worlds governments, we would be taking their word for it, wouldn't we? Here's a quote from Wikipedia:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/GPS

Quote from: "Wiki"
The United States Department of Defense developed the system, officially named NAVSTAR GPS (Navigation Signal Timing and Ranging Global Positioning System), and launched the first experimental satellite in 1978. The satellite constellation is managed by the 50th Space Wing. Although the cost of maintaining the system is approximately US$400 million per year, including the replacement of aging satellites, GPS is available for free use in civilian applications as a public good.

Well, isn't that nice of them?
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

« Reply #21 on: October 20, 2006, 05:35:47 PM »
Quote from: "NEEMAN"

Just so you know, when you assume, it makes an ass out of  U &, well, thats pretty much it. Just you.

LOL!! Wow. You really are quite unintelligent. You pretty much shot yourself in the foot with that remark. Not only does it disparage yourself, but since my assumption was correct, your comment towards me is irrelevant. With regards to the blatant hypocritisizm, I'm sure you'll get there soon.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #22 on: October 20, 2006, 05:49:00 PM »

LOL!! Wow. You really are quite unintelligent. You pretty much shot yourself in the foot with that remark. Not only does it disparage yourself, but since my assumption was correct, your comment towards me is irrelevant. With regards to the blatant hypocritisizm, I'm sure you'll get there soon.

In what way was your assumption correct? Do you deny that GPS is completely reliant on satellites which are exclusively controled by the United States military?

You assumed I didn't know how GPS is supposed to work (and I do, thanks to the Discovery channel, though in fact a quick google could tell you exactly how it works if you needed to know), and I simpy pointed out that it is essentially run by the military, which means that you are getting your information from the organisation probably most involved in the conspiracy. Anyone who puts their faith in the worlds most advanced and secretive military might want to think about what exactly that entails.

Oh, and by the way, 'hypocritisizm' is not a word. One might go so far as to say your English is 'deviant', if one were so inclined...

« Reply #23 on: October 20, 2006, 07:26:39 PM »
Quote from: "NEEMAN"

In what way was your assumption correct? Do you deny that GPS is completely reliant on satellites which are exclusively controled by the United States military?

You assumed I didn't know how GPS is supposed to work (and I do, thanks to the Discovery channel, though in fact a quick google could tell you exactly how it works if you needed to know), and I simpy pointed out that it is essentially run by the military, which means that you are getting your information from the organisation probably most involved in the conspiracy. Anyone who puts their faith in the worlds most advanced and secretive military might want to think about what exactly that entails.

*Sigh* Another example of your poor interpretive ability. My assumption was that CrimsonKing did not know how a GPS is fabricated, operated nor had used one before. He/she verified this. OK?
I'm not even going to bother arguing with you about the potency of the military to alter the global GPS system. Why? Because your antipathy towards RE logic means that my time would be better spent placing my hand in a waffle iron.

Oh, and by the way, 'hypocritisizm' is not a word. One might go so far as to say your English is 'deviant', if one were so inclined...

Ha.ha!
Please accept my apology, the word I had intended to say was hypercriticism. I didn't reali(s?)(z?)(s?)(z?)e you were that pedantic over spelling. But I've acknowledged it now so there is no need for you to lose any sleep.  :D

« Reply #24 on: October 20, 2006, 07:46:48 PM »
... Its not too short of a distance, and there is nothing to really compare it to, as you can't use any vehicle over the ice and the water and the mountains... so yea.

Yes, there are vehicles that travel over ice and/or water. As for mountains, are you saying EVERY Flight route goes over a mountain?

In any case, you don,t even need to verify using another vehicle. Just check the disstance between the 2 points and figure out how long it would take in a mostly straight line on a plane going at X Km/h. You'l find that most planes do not take much longer than what you come up with, depsite the fact that they supposedly go all the way around flat earth.

From personal experience...
« Reply #25 on: October 20, 2006, 07:54:57 PM »
Sorry for intruding but, getting back to how planes fly over a flat or round earth. It has been my recent expierience that when you look out the window of the air plane shortly after taking off and landing, you can see the curviture of the earth. How would the the flat earth idea work for that.

This is a serious question, not an attack.
y the Power of Round Earth!!!

I HAVE THE POWER!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Flexgirl

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
Re: From personal experience...
« Reply #26 on: October 20, 2006, 09:50:51 PM »
Quote from: "FlexGirl"
It has been my recent expierience that when you look out the window of the air plane shortly after taking off and landing, you can see the curviture of the earth. How would the the flat earth idea work for that.

I fly all the time and I have never witnessed the curvature of the earth.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

not trying to be rude or anything
« Reply #27 on: October 20, 2006, 09:55:03 PM »
but perhaps maybe it was a coudy day? My co-worker also has seen this curvecture. It came up on a different subject.

Flexgirl

« Reply #28 on: October 20, 2006, 09:55:35 PM »
sorry  cloudy day. getting tired here.

Flexgirl

all Im saying is
« Reply #29 on: October 20, 2006, 10:16:48 PM »
that with other eyewitness accounts, it couldnt be my imagination or some kind of optic effect. Actually, not only myself, but others also witnessed that if you stan on the beach and have a good view of the ocean or on a cruise ship which is the ideal spot, you can also see the curviture of the earth. I didnt notice this until my dad pointed it out when we were on vacation.

You see, I cant argue theories or anything too scientifically deep, because to be honest, I never studied it, and I never payed attention in school. So, I can only inject into these forums, what I personnaly saw or expierienced myself. Since hearing of the FLat Earth Society, I started to think more deeply on the subject. My arguments are niether for or against Flat Earthism or Round Earth Proof. And true, I have always believed and never questioned that the earth was round until recently. My search is for proof. Actual un-argumentative proof. So my questions are to learn and find and listen to evidence prooving if infact we have a  flat earth or round earth. I guess ultimatly, it really wouldnt change my life that drastically to find out either or. But, it would be one hell of a discover if we had a flat earth.

Flexgirl