Distance to other planets

• 15 Replies
Distance to other planets
« on: November 02, 2013, 03:44:18 PM »
They say, they can estimate the distance to another planet, say, Venus, by using a laser beam - you measure the time it takes for the beam to go to the planet and, having bounced back, to return; you know the velocity of the beam, so you can calculate the distance.

Sounds easy, simple and disprovable.

How do you comment?

Thork

• Please do not touch or disturb me.
Re: Distance to other planets
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2013, 03:52:10 PM »
They say, they can estimate the distance to another planet, say, Venus, by using a laser beam - you measure the time it takes for the beam to go to the planet and, having bounced back, to return; you know the velocity of the beam, so you can calculate the distance.

How do you comment?
They don't use laser beams on Venus. Where do you people get this stuff? Provide a quote. Venus is supposed to have a gaseous atmosphere. Lasers won't reflect well.

They actually use RADAR on Venus but that's a whole other thing.

The very foundation of this thread is flawed.

If you want to make awesome threads

1) Check your question isn't already answered in the FAQ
2) Be super nice to me
3) Use a source with any assertion.

Welcome to FES. Its nice that you visited us.  :D

« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2013, 03:56:09 PM »
OK. Be it radiowaves they use.  http://curious.astro.cornell.edu/question.php?number=400

Anyway, the logic is the same. You send a wave, measure the time it takes, and calculate the distance.

Is anything wrong with this?

Thork

• Please do not touch or disturb me.
« Reply #3 on: November 02, 2013, 04:04:36 PM »
Unfortunately its not possible for me to check with radar myself. So now I'm just taking the words of people like NASA for granted.

However if I use trigonometry (something I can use), I find that the distances are nothing like the science cartel would have you believe.

http://www.sacred-texts.com/earth/za/za23.htm

?

EvilJeffy

• I shouldn't waste time here, I have science to do.
« Reply #4 on: November 02, 2013, 04:26:20 PM »
Draw another line from the north pole to the sun on your flat world and look at the result, you would have the sun at 26 degrees above the horizon, but at the equinox (when the sun is directly above the equator) the sun at the north pole is on the horizon.

On the round earth model the sun will also be on the horizon....

Mostly because that model works.
Sometimes on this forum I feel like I am kicking puppies, but I have good boots.  Just in case your curious I also have more science training than you do.

« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2013, 04:30:42 PM »
Thork, you're saying that you cannot check with radar and so you could only take NASA's word that it is true. Obviously NASA is fake, so they're lying, but..

in another thread someone cleverly asked. What about the ice rim. You have never seen it, but you take other people's word of it that is true.

I don't see how this is systematic research.

« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2013, 06:23:51 PM »
Is radar testing so secret that it's completely unavailable for public control? I mean, do you only take NASA's word? Is it not publicly described with its pros and cons? Is there not a way to argumentatively decide its trustworthiness in itself without taking anybody's word for it?

How does radar testing work? Is it trustworthy? Why or why not?

P.S.
Is Voyager 1 a fake?
« Last Edit: November 02, 2013, 06:38:42 PM by unconcealment »

« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2013, 01:50:31 PM »
Distance to moon can be and has been measured with amateur radio equipment. There's a lengthy thread somewhere here about it...

« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2013, 03:22:49 PM »
if anyones interested I give a (i think) a fairly good step by step description of how anyone with a bit of effort can calculate the size or the earth, the distance to the moon and the distance to the sun with just a calculator, a friend on the other side of the world and some time to kill

No expensive equipment required, just a hole (or a shovel to make a hole), a basic understanding of trigonometry and lots of spare time

http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,60166.720.html#.UnbaPvlmiqg

« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2013, 09:55:43 AM »
Neimoka, Mike,

do these calculations disprove the flat earth th.?

?

EvilJeffy

« Reply #10 on: November 04, 2013, 03:03:37 PM »
By this logic you can calculate the size of the moon, using the size of the moon and the arcwidth of its image you can calculate distance (approximately)...

http://www.eg.bucknell.edu/physics/astronomy/astr101/specials/aristarchus.html
Sometimes on this forum I feel like I am kicking puppies, but I have good boots.  Just in case your curious I also have more science training than you do.

?

Silverdane

• Deutschland Double Heil!! @_@//
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2013, 11:09:23 PM »

How do you comment?

The Earth's a disk. Big fat flat disk.
You're missing the point.

There are no 'other planets'..
We shall have a magnificent orgy garden party & you're not invited

?

EvilJeffy

« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2013, 11:12:07 PM »
If there are no other planets then what are all of those little dots up in the sky, I am presuming the ones that are (essentially constant) in their locations comparatively to others are stars, and the ones that wander (compared to the rest of the little dots) are planets. 

If that isn't what they are, then what are they?

?

Silverdane

« Reply #13 on: November 04, 2013, 11:28:17 PM »
If there are no other planets then what are all of those little dots up in the sky, I am presuming the ones that are (essentially constant) in their locations comparatively to others are stars, and the ones that wander (compared to the rest of the little dots) are planets. 

If that isn't what they are, then what are they?

Your assumption that those little glowy lights are planets is retarded.
Just because they shine doesn't mean they are not flat. You can't prove they are round.

The Moon and Sun have the same flat face aimed straight at us. Which rotates facing us the same way. The MOON is staring you right in the face, boy!

Showing you how flat it is. You never see the other side because it's just another flat surface.

Who cares what those tiny lights up the sky are? This is the FLAT EARTH we're discussing. Stay on topic.

Your focus is as off the charts as your logic.

If you're so interested in those lights, why not go use your fake "space grope-ram" and fly there yourself, smart arse?  :D

I'm sure they'd love to have you. Permanently. I mean seriously, stay there.

NEVER RETURN!!
;D

?

EvilJeffy

« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2013, 11:35:48 PM »
Wow, have you ever taken any math or science classes?  Or are you just here to troll.

Ok, I admit I am here to troll, but with logic and using viable answers.

All of my maps work, yours don't exist.  I think that says a lot.

?

Silverdane

« Reply #15 on: November 04, 2013, 11:58:00 PM »
Your geek maps work for .. what? Finding the Edge of the Flat Earth? I THINK NOT!!

Our maps work for finding the Edge of the Flat Earth, so our maps are better.
I am 200% Flat Earth Believer. I never once supported or accepted that RETrash.