Tell your kids to stay away from chalk

• 30 Replies

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Thork

• Please do not touch or disturb me.
Re: Tell your kids to stay away from chalk
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2013, 12:54:44 AM »
You can't criticise a bank. Banks rule the world. Its the modern day equivalent of going to a palace and scribbling how much you hate the King.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #2 on: June 28, 2013, 02:34:47 AM »
« Last Edit: June 28, 2013, 02:38:03 AM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Genius

• Professor of Geniustology
« Reply #3 on: June 28, 2013, 03:34:23 AM »
Huh, what the f*ck?
The earth is round because the space man said so.

Lorddave

« Reply #4 on: June 28, 2013, 05:46:34 AM »
So either there is more to this case than we think OR someone has a lot of strings to pull.

We should all get together and do the same thing.  They probably think this will scare people .We should prove them wrong.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #5 on: June 28, 2013, 06:18:22 AM »
someone has a lot of strings to pull

No, really?

Lorddave

« Reply #6 on: June 28, 2013, 07:28:11 AM »

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2013, 09:59:20 AM »
Nobody needs to say it, because it's obvious.

Lorddave

« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2013, 12:49:27 PM »
But what about the oblivious?  How will THEY know?

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2013, 08:20:01 PM »
He's being tried on vandalism charges.  How is his right to free speech relevant?
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2013, 08:41:25 PM »
He's being tried on vandalism charges.  How is his right to free speech relevant?

A few people have tried to raise that point in the comments section.  They're mostly being shouted down by rants about what the banks have done to this country.  That...settles it?

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2013, 08:47:06 PM »
But what about the oblivious?  How will THEY know?
You already know.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #12 on: June 29, 2013, 07:15:12 AM »

I don't know if his right to free speech is relevant or not, but I kinda think the jury should be allowed to make that decision. Maybe?

Also, why do they want to put him in prison for 13 years when his vandalism didn't actually do any damage? I could see it, if he set the place on fire.

The bank is claiming they spent $6,000 to wash chalk off the sidewalk. That is ridiculous.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #13 on: June 29, 2013, 11:39:35 AM »

I don't know if his right to free speech is relevant or not, but I kinda think the jury should be allowed to make that decision. Maybe?

Maybe.  But if Olson's attorney's intended tactic was to turn something that's not a free speech issue into a free speech issue, despite there being no relevance, with the purpose of engendering (or more likely fanning the flames of) a bias against the banks, it's perfectly understandable to me that the judge would bar its mentioning from the case.

"The State's Vandalism Statute does not mention First Amendment rights," ruled Judge Shore on Tuesday.

That kind of says it all, doesn't it?  If that's true, why should the judge not have the freedom to bar their mentioning?

Also, why do they want to put him in prison for 13 years when his vandalism didn't actually do any damage? I could see it, if he set the place on fire.

I'm sure his attorney is free to argue that the severity of the punishment outweighs the crime.  At that point I assume it comes down to exactly how the law is worded.

The bank is claiming they spent $6,000 to wash chalk off the sidewalk. That is ridiculous.

They are free to make that claim.  They will also be obliged in court to prove that such costs were necessary, you can be sure.  And on the flip side I'm sure that Olson's attorneys will be allowed to bring up that the chalk was water-soluble.

Neither of those latter issues has anything to do with the guy's First Amendment rights.  To my eye it seems that Olson's attorneys are trying to turn this into a circus, and it looks like they are succeeding.

?

OrbisNonSufficit

• I love Gasoline.
« Reply #14 on: June 29, 2013, 12:06:11 PM »

Seeing as they likely spend 25k on toilet paper per toilet and 1 dollar a year to the people who make our debit cards in china, I don't doubt that they found some asinine way to spend 6 on a pressure washer when a hose would have sufficed.

That being said, I don't think the first amendment is particularly relevant.  The Jury will hopefully recognize that the chalk was water soluble, and with hatred of banks at an all time high im not sure how they will win favor for a 13 prison sentence.  Maybe some community service at worst, painting over graffiti or some shit.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #15 on: June 29, 2013, 12:10:38 PM »

Maybe.  But if Olson's attorney's intended tactic was to turn something that's not a free speech issue into a free speech issue, despite there being no relevance, with the purpose of engendering (or more likely fanning the flames of) a bias against the banks, it's perfectly understandable to me that the judge would bar its mentioning from the case.

That's basically it.  The moment they mention "free speech" in open court, the case will stop being about whether or not this guy did this chalking and instead focus on what bastards the banks are.  It's prejudicial.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #16 on: June 29, 2013, 02:45:26 PM »
The judge issued a gag order yesterday. I think he's a bit cranky! He did say that Olson won't be sentenced to 13yrs because he has no prior record.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #17 on: June 29, 2013, 04:12:46 PM »
I don't understand.  Is the Daily Kos some kind of fearmongering site, like a liberal Fox News?  The guy who wrote the article is clearly blowing this way way WAY out of proportion.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #18 on: June 29, 2013, 04:24:10 PM »

They don't.  He's being charged with 13 separate counts of misdemeanor vandalism, each one of which carries a maximum sentence of one year in prison according to California Penal Code 594 PC.

http://www.shouselaw.com/vandalism.html#2.1

That's where the wording comes from.  He won't get 13 years in prison.  This non-issue would be silly if the attention it's getting wasn't so scary.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #19 on: June 29, 2013, 05:01:31 PM »
The Daily Kos is a blog network, I think.  I always look for different sources when someone uses them or The Blaze.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #20 on: June 29, 2013, 05:13:40 PM »
The Daily Kos is a blog network, I think.  I always look for different sources when someone uses them or The Blaze.

Ugh, so even worse than Fox News.  It figures.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #21 on: June 29, 2013, 08:42:30 PM »
The Daily Kos is basically the liberal version of The Blaze. It's pretty terrible.
Recently listened to:

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #22 on: June 29, 2013, 08:48:15 PM »
It's a good idea to collect multiple sources no matter your initial source; granted, this tells you more about the overall journalistic response to the event than the event itself, but it's better than just reading one article and thinking you're well informed.

« Reply #23 on: June 30, 2013, 01:06:21 AM »
I see, so all graffiti is allowed to stay because it's a person right to have the freedom of speech?

Why did they not protest without vanadalising things?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #25 on: July 01, 2013, 08:44:58 AM »
They're cracking down on chalking.

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #26 on: July 01, 2013, 04:14:01 PM »

Roundy the Truthinessist

• The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2013, 04:23:55 PM »
Looks like somebody forgot to pay off the jury.  ::)

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #28 on: July 01, 2013, 05:47:24 PM »
I wonder why he was acquitted.  Was it because the jury genuinely felt he hadn't broken the law, or was it because RAH RAH FUCK DA BANKS?

Lorddave

« Reply #29 on: July 01, 2013, 07:00:11 PM »
I wonder why he was acquitted.  Was it because the jury genuinely felt he hadn't broken the law, or was it because RAH RAH FUCK DA BANKS?
Could be that the whole thing was so blown up in the news that the banks and the city decided to let him win.  The bad publicity from some chalk was nothing compared to the bad publicity of having this guy put in jail.