Earth's shadow on the Moon

• 58 Replies
?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
Re: Earth's shadow on the Moon
« Reply #30 on: June 25, 2013, 04:39:38 PM »
Yes, I know that sounds strange.  But it appears that way on the moon because you can see what looks like flares coming off it (in the form of a shadow, of course) unless it's just the way the shadow affects the light from the moon, illuminating the dark spots on the moon.

Are you sure you understand what you're saying? For the sun to cast a shadow you'd need an incredibly bright light source beyond it.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 04:56:24 PM »
I have personally observed the moon eclipsed while the sun was still in the sky. I can only conclude that whatever phenomenon eclipsing the moon, it cannot be the earth's shadow.
No, you didn't. You are confusing the moon's phases with an eclipse. You cannot even see a full moon in the day.

Well, I'm so glad you're here to reveal your ignorance. I clearly saw it along with myriads of other people. The fact that it is impossible assuming RET is no nevermind to me.
Why don't you explain it more instead of being super vague and then hiding from having to explain it. I saw a cloud eclipse the moon quite a few times. I can use my hand to eclipse the moon.
So, yes, explain in detail what you saw.
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

It's no slur if it's fact.

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 04:58:25 PM »
Are you sure you understand what you're saying? For the sun to cast a shadow you'd need an incredibly bright light source beyond it.

Yes, you're right.  It was an illusion.  So then it must be a lighting effect that illuminates or focuses in on the spots on the moon.

« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 05:24:04 PM »
So here is a Google image search of a bunch of example's of the Earth's shadow on the moon.

https://www.google.com/search?q=earths+shadow+on+moon&safe=off&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ei=Zw7HUeTxD8iaiALNo4DYDQ&ved=0CAkQ_AUoAQ&biw=1280&bih=882

I understand what this will amount to for the flat earthers here. That this is fabricated, photoshopped, yada yada.

Hmmm, maybe the next time this happens you could check it out yourself, or maybe you've seen this and you just don't care. Cover your ears, "La la la la la la la."

Anyways, have a nice day on your imperfectly ROUND earth guys!

What you're mistaking as the earth's shadow (don't feel bad, people have been erroneously calling it earth's shadow since they believed in the four elements and satyrs) is actually the migratory patterns of lunar life crossing the surface of the moon.  As a word of caution, the light that they emit is quite dangerous.  You should avoid it at all costs.

And they always travel in exactly the same pattern? That of an almost perfect circle?

Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence. Where is your evidence?

This is the classic argument from ignorance. Just because you cannot understand it does not mean it's not true.

An arguement from ignorance? He asked for evidence. That's not ignorance it's just him not trusting your word against almost every single scientist alive about life on the moon. He asked for evidence of your claim and you give none. That's not him being the ignorant one.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 07:18:42 PM »
I have personally observed the moon eclipsed while the sun was still in the sky. I can only conclude that whatever phenomenon eclipsing the moon, it cannot be the earth's shadow.
No, you didn't. You are confusing the moon's phases with an eclipse. You cannot even see a full moon in the day.

Well, I'm so glad you're here to reveal your ignorance. I clearly saw it along with myriads of other people. The fact that it is impossible assuming RET is no nevermind to me.

Are you just talking about a Selenelion?  Those are well-documented and explained, and sounds like what you saw. If you can tell me where you were when you saw the eclipse this should be easily verifiable.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #35 on: June 26, 2013, 10:39:40 AM »

Why don't you explain it more instead of being super vague and then hiding from having to explain it. I saw a cloud eclipse the moon quite a few times. I can use my hand to eclipse the moon.
I saw the moon progress through a total eclipse. A lunar eclipse. It was not eclipsed by my hand, a cloud, or any other such nonsense.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #36 on: June 26, 2013, 01:30:16 PM »

I saw the moon progress through a total eclipse. A lunar eclipse. It was not eclipsed by my hand, a cloud, or any other such nonsense.
What time was it? What day was it? Where was it? Why do I have to ask these? Was it like what Rama Set asked?
#" class="bbc_link" target="_blank">Impossible "selenelion" eclipse, Dec 2011
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #37 on: June 26, 2013, 04:10:15 PM »
What time was it? What day was it? Where was it? Why do I have to ask these? Was it like what Rama Set asked?

It was a little after seven on the morning of 10 December 2011.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #38 on: June 26, 2013, 04:15:06 PM »

It was a little after seven on the morning of 10 December 2011.
How convenient. It's the same one in the youtube video. Everything was as RET predicts. 
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #39 on: June 26, 2013, 04:19:23 PM »
What a magical prediction.

sokarul

• Discount Chemist
« Reply #40 on: June 26, 2013, 04:23:08 PM »
No, there are scientists that do work. What would be magical is moon shrimp speed up from 28 day cycle to around a 28 min cycle.   
ANNIHILATOR OF  SHIFTER

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #41 on: June 26, 2013, 04:28:19 PM »
Since a selenelion occurs (but isn't necessarily observed) during every lunar eclipse, there is no magic involved.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #42 on: June 26, 2013, 05:04:29 PM »

Thanks for posting the video,  it is another win for FET.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #43 on: June 26, 2013, 06:34:31 PM »

No, you think it's another win for FE, but when explanations are asked for, the RE explanation is far simpler, more logical, and much easier to prove than the FE explanation. Failure to understand a relatively simple phenomenon does not mean you are right.
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #44 on: June 26, 2013, 08:10:54 PM »
No, you think it's another win for FE, but when explanations are asked for, the RE explanation is far simpler, more logical, and much easier to prove than the FE explanation. Failure to understand a relatively simple phenomenon does not mean you are right.

I have yet to hear a RE explanation for why there is so much more ice in the S. Pole than the North if the Earth's axis and rotation around the sun allow for equal amounts of sun in both poles.  Also, as far as I know, seals and penguins do not migrate or hibernate in Antarctica when it's Winter there, so how do they survive without sun.  NOTHING can survive on Earth without sun.  Maybe I should post this in the appropriate thread...
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:12:27 PM by EarthIsASpaceship »

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Last Edit: June 26, 2013, 08:42:21 PM by Scintific Method »
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #46 on: June 26, 2013, 10:26:32 PM »

I have yet to hear a RE explanation for why there is so much more ice in the S. Pole than the North if the Earth's axis and rotation around the sun allow for equal amounts of sun in both poles.  Also, as far as I know, seals and penguins do not migrate or hibernate in Antarctica when it's Winter there, so how do they survive without sun.  NOTHING can survive on Earth without sun.  Maybe I should post this in the appropriate thread...

More ice in antartica is a ridiculously simple question. Here is a site that explains it well. http://nsidc.org/cryosphere/seaice/characteristics/difference.html

Penguins do migrate in winter. Watch the march of the penguins. Pretty easy answer to that as well.

As for "NOTHING can survive on Earth without the sun." that's not true. Many organisms on the ocean floor live on geothermal energy (either heat or the extremely dim light) ."photosynthetic bacteria may get all the light they need for metabolism from the dim radiation emitted by deep-sea hydrothermal vents.

« Reply #47 on: June 27, 2013, 01:23:34 AM »

Relax, Scintific... Need I remind you of the pigeon and chess comparison? Really, just the fact that he's "counting wins" like it's some sort of game and that's what really matters, should tell you about the nature of those "victories".

« Reply #48 on: June 27, 2013, 07:40:27 AM »
I've seen plenty of posts by REs counting "wins".  He is not the first.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #49 on: June 27, 2013, 01:31:11 PM »

Maybe you should also check things out instead of just posting off the top of your head. The arctic and antarctic have totally different, nearly opposite geographies.

http://nsidc.org/cryosphere/seaice/characteristics/difference.html
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

« Reply #50 on: June 27, 2013, 01:35:07 PM »
Maybe you should also check things out instead of just posting off the top of your head. The arctic and antarctic have totally different, nearly opposite geographies.

Of course they do.  What the hell makes you think I don't know that?

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #51 on: June 27, 2013, 02:03:55 PM »

Of course they do.  What the hell makes you think I don't know that?

Because the difference in ice on the North and South pole is caused by their different geography, and is explained in that link, however you said:

« Reply #52 on: June 27, 2013, 02:27:04 PM »
Rudolph,
You are just going around in circles.  Yes, there are OBVIOUSLY two different locations....ON A SPHERE (according to you).  So tell me how it's possible for a ball to be colder on one end than the other if it is spinning and circling a heat source, giving BOTH ends equal subjection to that heat source?

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #53 on: June 27, 2013, 02:43:38 PM »
Rudolph,
You are just going around in circles.  Yes, there are OBVIOUSLY two different locations....ON A SPHERE (according to you).  So tell me how it's possible for a ball to be colder on one end than the other if it is spinning and circling a heat source, giving BOTH ends equal subjection to that heat source?

My god man, just read the link, it explains everything. Antarctica is over a land mass. The Arctic is over an ocean. That causes different weather patterns, ocean currents, transfer of heat, etc. Why do you say you know all this and then fail to even educate yourself a tiny bit? JUST READ STUFF IT WILL NOT KILL YOU.

« Reply #54 on: June 27, 2013, 03:27:35 PM »
My god man, just read the link, it explains everything. Antarctica is over a land mass. The Arctic is over an ocean. That causes different weather patterns, ocean currents, transfer of heat, etc. Why do you say you know all this and then fail to even educate yourself a tiny bit? JUST READ STUFF IT WILL NOT KILL YOU.

Please show me a map of Antarctica that shows where the land covered in ice ends and the ocean covered in ice begins.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #55 on: June 27, 2013, 03:29:12 PM »

Please show me a map of Antarctica that shows where the land covered in ice ends and the ocean covered in ice begins.

Did you actually open that link yet? Shall I post audio of me reading it to you as well?

« Reply #56 on: June 27, 2013, 04:55:24 PM »
The link discusses the differences in sea ice.  But what about the most obvious question....why is more of the land area in the South covered in ice?

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #57 on: June 27, 2013, 05:15:05 PM »
The link discusses the differences in sea ice.  But what about the most obvious question....why is more of the land area in the South covered in ice?

Well, because the Artic is basically an ocean surrounded by land, and the Antarctic is a land mass surrounded by ocean. And it actually says that the Arctic ice is thicker and lasts longer rather than in the Antarctic like you thought. Are sure you read the whole article?

« Reply #58 on: June 27, 2013, 05:31:14 PM »
Well, land thaws before water does.