Gravitational Waves

• 39 Replies

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
Gravitational Waves
« on: June 22, 2013, 07:13:14 PM »
How does the FE hypothesis reconcile the existence of gravitational waves?
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Junker

Re: Gravitational Waves
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2013, 08:08:55 PM »

What is the source of these waves again?

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2013, 08:21:48 PM »

Did you read the source I linked to?
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2013, 09:04:35 PM »

Did you read the link?  These things sound awful theoretical to me.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #4 on: June 23, 2013, 01:20:52 AM »
You can detect the presence of a strong gravitational field from very far away by observing gravitational lensing.

What is FET's stance on that? Fake scientific experiment data?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2013, 01:34:17 AM »
I have no problem with gravitational lensing or even waves should they be shown to exist.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2013, 01:55:24 AM »
I have no problem with gravitational lensing or even waves should they be shown to exist.

Well, gravitational lensing has been shown to exist and you can calculate the mass of the "lens" object, whether it's a massive star, black hole, or an entire galaxy. Do you also have no trouble accepting that the calculated mass of these objects by gravitational lensing is correct?

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2013, 11:52:30 AM »

I did, thanks for your patronization. The work for which the 1993 Nobel Prize was awarded demonstrated their existence.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #8 on: June 23, 2013, 12:01:26 PM »

I did, thanks for your patronization. The work for which the 1993 Nobel Prize was awarded demonstrated their existence.

The article only says that they suggest their existence.  Seriously, you should try reading for context.  The entire opening of that article was written to demonstrate as plainly as possible that these things have never been observed or proven.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

« Reply #9 on: June 23, 2013, 12:09:09 PM »

There's some evidence to suggest they exist but I don't think it's conclusive.

« Reply #10 on: June 23, 2013, 12:14:30 PM »

But there's plenty of evidence confirming the existence of gravity itself. And gravitational waves are part of gravitational theory, so evidence suggesting the existence of them too is easier to take seriously.

Anyway, as weak and inconclusive this evidence of gravitational waves is, it's miles ahead of absolutely every part of FET. In conclusion, if you can't take gravitational waves seriously based on evidence, you shouldn't even look at FET.

« Reply #11 on: June 23, 2013, 12:34:17 PM »

But there's plenty of evidence confirming the existence of gravity itself. And gravitational waves are part of gravitational theory, so evidence suggesting the existence of them too is easier to take seriously.

Anyway, as weak and inconclusive this evidence of gravitational waves is, it's miles ahead of absolutely every part of FET. In conclusion, if you can't take gravitational waves seriously based on evidence, you shouldn't even look at FET.

It's a good bet gravitational waves exist but the evidence to support their existence is not conclusive.

So far they've observed an energy loss in a binary system that is likely to come from gravitational radiation but they haven't detected it directly.

« Reply #12 on: June 23, 2013, 01:17:49 PM »
Well, detection of gravitational waves directly would mean detection of gravitons, which, based on the expected properties of gravitons, is basically impossible.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #13 on: June 23, 2013, 02:41:26 PM »
In the biography of Russell Hular it says he demonstrated the existence of gravitational radiation (aka waves).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Alan_Hulse

Maybe it misspoke Roundy. We can always keep the conversation hypothetical though. I was not asking to take shots at UA or to bolster gravity. Just curious how the phenomenon would be explained in FE thinking.

Icanbeanything-Not sure you would necessarily have to detect Gravitons to detect gravity waves and vice versa. I think EM waves were demonstrated before photons. There are other GR effects like frame-dragging that have been observed without the observance of Gravitons, like frame-dragging.

« Reply #14 on: June 23, 2013, 02:43:47 PM »
Well, detection of gravitational waves directly would mean detection of gravitons, which, based on the expected properties of gravitons, is basically impossible.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational-wave_detector#Specific_operational_gravitational-wave_detectors

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gravitational_wave#Detecting_gravitational_waves

« Reply #15 on: June 23, 2013, 02:49:53 PM »
In the biography of Russell Hular it says he demonstrated the existence of gravitational radiation (aka waves).

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Russell_Alan_Hulse

Maybe it misspoke Roundy. We can always keep the conversation hypothetical though. I was not asking to take shots at UA or to bolster gravity. Just curious how the phenomenon would be explained in FE thinking.

Icanbeanything-Not sure you would necessarily have to detect Gravitons to detect gravity waves and vice versa. I think EM waves were demonstrated before photons. There are other GR effects like frame-dragging that have been observed without the observance of Gravitons, like frame-dragging.

We don't, as of yet, have conclusive evidence that gravitational waves exist. The pulsar is not sufficient to prove their existence as there may be other effects reducing the energy of the system. It's very likely that this energy reduction is gravitational radiation. We just don't know the dynamics of pulsars well enough to be certain.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #16 on: June 23, 2013, 02:53:17 PM »
Thank you for correcting me Ddddatsallfolks.

I am still interested in a hypothetical conversation.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #17 on: June 23, 2013, 04:18:29 PM »

Well, gravitational lensing has been shown to exist and you can calculate the mass of the "lens" object, whether it's a massive star, black hole, or an entire galaxy. Do you also have no trouble accepting that the calculated mass of these objects by gravitational lensing is correct?

Lensing has been shown to exist and it is currently attributed to gravitation, yes. I have no problem with it as I stated.

Gravitational waves are a completely different animal. But I don't see their existence as threatening to FET  ???
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #18 on: June 23, 2013, 04:35:14 PM »
What do you think would cause gravitational waves in a FE universe? 

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #19 on: June 23, 2013, 06:35:37 PM »
Gravitation   ???

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #20 on: June 23, 2013, 07:09:19 PM »
Gravitation   ???

Don't be afraid to elaborate.  Just trying to have a conversation.  What do you think causes gravitation?

« Reply #21 on: June 24, 2013, 12:41:13 AM »
Gravitation   ???

I'm interested too, since you just wrote that you have no problem with gravitational lensing, and gravitation in general. Put aside the waves for now, as they're unconfirmed phenomena, and let's talk about gravitation itself...

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #22 on: June 24, 2013, 10:29:31 AM »
Gravitation   ???

Don't be afraid to elaborate.  Just trying to have a conversation.  What do you think causes gravitation?

Momentum, mass and energy.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #23 on: June 24, 2013, 12:55:41 PM »
Gravitation   ???

If you are not interested in a conversation it's cool, but these terse monosyllabic answers are fairly asinine. Why bother posting if you don't want to talk?

EDIT:  not monosyllabic but rather monotonous I should say.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 01:06:40 PM by Rama Set »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #24 on: June 24, 2013, 01:00:43 PM »
Gravitation   ???

If you are not interested in a conversation it's cool, but these terse monosyllabic answers are fairly asinine. Why bother posting if you don't want to talk?

Agreed.  Mods should know better than to engage in low content posting and trolling.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #25 on: June 24, 2013, 01:53:37 PM »
Gravitation   ???

Agreed.  Mods should know better than to earn valuable lit squares when they engage in low content posting and trolling.

Fixed that for you Markjo.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #26 on: June 24, 2013, 03:33:47 PM »
Gravitation   ???

I just answered your question. I don't have time to type an essay everytime I visit the site. The forum is filled with posts I've made on the subject.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #27 on: June 25, 2013, 02:55:32 PM »
Gravitation   ???

I just answered your question. I don't have time to type an essay everytime I visit the site. The forum is filled with posts I've made on the subject.

Then why answer at all, if you don't want to do anything productive and feel like you are repeating yourself?

« Reply #28 on: June 25, 2013, 03:28:19 PM »
Gravitation   ???

An occasional link to a certain thread doesn't hurt... So we're certain not to take things out of context...

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #29 on: June 25, 2013, 03:56:32 PM »
Well a "gravitational wave" by definition is caused by gravitation. There can be no other answer. Asking the question is more asinine than answering it, certainly.

I just entered "gravitation cause" by posters named "Ski" into the search function and found a slew of posts you might have found relevant if you bothered to look. I can't be here to spoonfeed argumentative globularists all day.