Why is a round Earth so bad?

• 41 Replies
Re: Why is a round Earth so bad?
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2013, 10:12:00 PM »
Care to share? I've shared mine (in other threads). Or are you just going to make smart-arse comments and not back them up?

The comment was designed to make you think.  I see it has failed.

The comment was designed to make him think? By being a complete fabrication as opposed to his true statement? I don't see what the point of the comment was then...

?

Puttah

« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2013, 03:52:28 AM »
I still hold that gravity is to dark energy as Newtonian mechanics is to the incomplete works of general relativity.

Exactly.

So you agree then that gravity satisfactorily answers the motion of our solar system because it's not on an extreme scale and doesn't require dark energy? Or do you hold that Newtonian mechanics is wrong because it fails near light speed?
Scepti, this idiocy needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. You are making a mockery of this fine forum with your poor trolling. You are a complete disgrace.

« Reply #32 on: June 25, 2013, 06:47:26 AM »

It doesn't matter.  It is a part of RET.

It does matter, a lot. First, because "RET" does not exist. There is no theory named like that and basically no theory that deals with that subject anyway.

If "RET" is just your colloquial term for all science then it's a pretty bad one. Is cancer research part of RET? Is manufacturing technology part of RET? I'm thinking you'll say no.

So what qualifies as "RET" in your eyes? Because, if we take it after the naming, it should only concern the shape of the Earth, right? Or do you just call anything you don't believe in as "RET", so that FET can have a nicely lined-up antagonist?

Dark energy does not concern the shape of the Earth in any way.
« Last Edit: June 25, 2013, 06:53:19 AM by icanbeanything »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #33 on: June 25, 2013, 09:43:45 AM »
It doesn't matter.  It is a part of RET.
Dark energy is also part of FET (UA).
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2013, 10:01:06 AM »
A round earth is neither inherently good nor bad. It is simply true or false.

If one desires truth for truth's sake, then truth is preferable to falsehood.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #35 on: June 25, 2013, 11:57:22 AM »
I used to think that it was funny whenever an FE'er would say that.  Now I think that it's just sad.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Pongo

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #36 on: June 25, 2013, 02:49:25 PM »
Care to share? I've shared mine (in other threads). Or are you just going to make smart-arse comments and not back them up?

Think about what? Is this a lesson on how to make asinine comments?

By replacing the crux of the post with something equally as fallacious I was trying to point out how flimsy the argument was. It seems the readers saw the inanity but failed to apply that it their line of reasoning.  It feels... sad having to explain it in such detail.

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #37 on: June 25, 2013, 03:06:28 PM »

By replacing the crux of the post with something equally as fallacious I was trying to point out how flimsy the argument was. It seems the readers saw the inanity but failed to apply that it their line of reasoning.  It feels... sad having to explain it in such detail.

It's just as sad to have to point out that the evidence for a round Earth and the evidence for Atlantis are in no way even remotely comparable.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

« Reply #38 on: June 25, 2013, 03:26:08 PM »

The "readers" have themselves had experiments which prove the real shape of the Earth, so there's nothing to apply to your case... sad that you failed to do any real experiments.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #39 on: June 25, 2013, 05:00:23 PM »

So you think my post was fallacious? Why don't you get out there and try some of my experiments yourself? You say (elsewhere) that you are traveling, that gives you the perfect opportunity to try the mountain measuring, and/or the sun observations in a variety of locations. The more data you can collect, the more accurate your picture of the earth will become.
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #40 on: June 25, 2013, 05:26:57 PM »
Well?

I have other thoughts and concerns about your philosophy, but I want to see how you answer this question before deciding to devote any more time here.
Round earth is a lie, FE'ers prefer the truth.
The only problem is that Fe'ers can provide no real evidence and when faced with evidence give nonsense answers and switch to "the burden of proof is yours not mine".

?

Puttah

« Reply #41 on: June 25, 2013, 09:18:54 PM »
I used to think that it was funny whenever an FE'er would say that.  Now I think that it's just sad.
I concur.
Scepti, this idiocy needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. You are making a mockery of this fine forum with your poor trolling. You are a complete disgrace.