ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
Spacechem [spoilers]
« on: June 21, 2013, 12:57:06 AM »
Anybody else play this masterpiece?
« Last Edit: August 23, 2013, 12:35:59 AM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »
If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
Re: Spacechem
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2013, 02:02:36 AM »
No, what is it?

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2013, 03:50:47 AM »
Anybody else play this masterpiece?
Yes, but I'm terrible.

No, what is it?
It's a very realistic simulator of a search engine. It almost feels as if you were Googling names you're not familiar with!
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 04:01:20 AM by PizzaPlanet »
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2013, 03:00:51 PM »
I was trying to make someone save the me time of googling it but FINE GEEZ

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #4 on: June 21, 2013, 08:34:32 PM »
You play the role of an engineer. You design reactors, which are basically just tracks that move, assemble, and dissemble molecules. You work with individual atoms to arrange components into the correct configuration and produce the desired molecule.

Despite the focus on chemistry plot-side, no chemistry knowledge is required. It's a puzzle game that is relatively easy until you try to optimize your solutions to make your tracks take the least amount of time.

If I was asked to imagine a perfect deity, I would never invent one that suffers from a multiple personality disorder. Christians get points for originality there.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2013, 09:58:12 PM »
You play the role of an engineer.

Bored already.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2013, 02:53:36 AM »
It's a puzzle game that is relatively easy until you try to optimize your solutions to make your tracks take the least amount of time.
I'm finding world 4 levels to be quite challenging. I can only imagine what lies ahead, but I don't think I'd call it easy :(

Then again, I might just be a big dum-dum.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2013, 03:06:00 AM »
Although now that I said it I finally managed to build a solution to this level that at least doesn't explode in my face. I was stuck on this one for a while.

As ridiculously inefficient as it may be, it somehow places me right in the middle of the Bell curves.

Lorddave

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2013, 11:03:11 AM »
Just downloaded it and played for a an hour or so.

Got stuck on 3-1.  Stupid triple bonds...
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

ﮎingulaЯiτy

• Arbitrator
  • Planar Moderator
  • Resident atheist.
« Reply #9 on: June 22, 2013, 04:04:28 PM »
Just downloaded it and played for a an hour or so.

You are already further than I am, but I've spent the vast majority of my time trying to optimize things.
I'm just starting the second world, so I won't be much help for a while, unless I stop being OCD about that efficiency graph.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2013, 04:06:21 PM by ﮎingulaЯiτy »

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #10 on: June 24, 2013, 12:26:14 AM »
Keep in mind that a hydrogen atom will form at most one bond. You can just dump everything in your bonders and do a triple bond - that will work since the hydrogen bonds will cap at 1.

Also, remember that the shape of the atom doesn't matter as long as you have the right things bound together. Maybe you'll find it easier to make it a square or a Z tetromino.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 12:28:00 AM by PizzaPlanet »

Lorddave

« Reply #11 on: June 24, 2013, 03:15:59 PM »
Keep in mind that a hydrogen atom will form at most one bond. You can just dump everything in your bonders and do a triple bond - that will work since the hydrogen bonds will cap at 1.

Also, remember that the shape of the atom doesn't matter as long as you have the right things bound together. Maybe you'll find it easier to make it a square or a Z tetromino.
I found the problem.
I didn't think you could do the bond command if it wasn't on a bond object.

Now to find a way to output 3 hydrogen to the same square.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2013, 09:43:03 AM »
I got dis game, and boy is it addicting. I spent the last half hour just trying to optimize level 2-6 to beat PizzaPlanet's stats, and I succeeded! I don't know how he gets so fucking few cycles on most of these levels, but I think I found a pretty elegant solution on this one:

The other reactor in the level is pretty straightforward. I guess I'll have to move on to figuring out triple bonds now as well...

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2013, 09:55:50 AM »
This has got to be the most mind-numbingly boring video game I've ever seen in my life.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2013, 10:09:15 AM »
Actually, nevermind, I already improved on that:

Because who needs more than one Waldo anyway?

...I'll move on now, I promise.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #15 on: August 20, 2013, 07:35:51 PM »
Although now that I said it I finally managed to build a solution to this level that at least doesn't explode in my face. I was stuck on this one for a while.

As ridiculously inefficient as it may be, it somehow places me right in the middle of the Bell curves.

I just finished doing this level. I think my solution is a bit more efficient, lol.

This game becomes pretty cheesy once you figure out a few useful tricks; you can replicate them in way too many levels. This one can be done entirely with one Waldo with three more bond symbols, and you can make a low cycle version by taking that and replicating it with the other Waldo.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #16 on: August 22, 2013, 12:56:53 AM »
This game becomes pretty cheesy once you figure out a few useful tricks; you can replicate them in way too many levels.
True, but it also has a pretty reasonable difficulty curve - you'll likely still find yourself consistently challenged as you progress.

Also, your comment applies to any form of programming, be that SpaceChem, Colobot or NASM - learning re-usable tricks is what makes you good at it.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:04:58 AM by PizzaPlanet »

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #17 on: August 22, 2013, 01:37:32 AM »
I got dis game, and boy is it addicting. I spent the last half hour just trying to optimize level 2-6 to beat PizzaPlanet's stats, and I succeeded!
lololol not anymore:

I like that our reactors don't even do the same things.

Also, Singy, since we've posted a whole bunch of solutions here, it might be a good idea to put a spoiler/solution warning in the thread title.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2013, 01:43:16 AM by PizzaPlanet »