« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2013, 11:29:46 PM »
Hurry up and see it so I can talk about it
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
Re: Man of Steel
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2013, 11:59:16 PM »
I can't because it doesn't come out in this backwards country for 2 weeks.

It's not doing too well on metacritic or rottentomatoes.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #3 on: June 14, 2013, 12:56:39 AM »
Meh my girlfriend wants to see it but I couldn't care less. I've never liked Superman as a character. The only decent one was the 90s New Adventures because of its campy ninetiesness.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #4 on: June 14, 2013, 06:28:15 AM »
I was never a big fan either.  We got free tickets through Walmart (they won't pay their employees, but they'll give them movie tickets--how quaint!)

It was good, though.  I was impressed by the fighting.  They didn't just try to make kung-fu in super speed, it felt right--like you'd see in the cartoons--also impressed that they didn't stoop to bullet time to emphasize how fast they were moving.  It really appeared that these people were supposed to be "superhuman."

Only thing I didn't really like was the way they stylized the Kryptonian technology and the appearance of their world.  Kind of a petty quabble, but it wasn't very imaginative and was too much brown and grey.  Krypton has always been painted as a very, very colorful place.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2013, 06:51:12 AM »
Krypton has always been painted as a very, very colorful place.
Yes but gritty realism and shit, yo.

Anyway, how does it hold up compared to The Avengers? I like The Avengers.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2013, 09:50:44 AM »
I heard it was terrible.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2013, 11:57:25 AM »
I heard it was a Superman film.

Fix'd.

Also: I don't usually trust the Mail for anything but I did like their review http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2340651/Man-Of-Steel-review-12A--Steel-noisy-Superman.html
"Clark Kent, alias Superman (played with maximum handsomeness, a fetching dimple and absolutely no sense of humour by virtually unknown Brit Henry Cavill), has been raised in Texas by salt-of-the-earth farming folk – Kevin Costner and Diane Lane, on good if muted form.

Costner has a vaguely distant look in his eyes, as though wondering why his career went so badly wrong after Field of Dreams."
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 12:03:17 PM by Chris Spaghetti »

Foxy

• but it did happen
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2013, 12:38:21 PM »
I've never liked Superman as a character.

rooster

« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2013, 01:01:49 PM »
I also have never liked Superman as a character, but I think the movie looks pretty good. I shall be seeing it on Sunday. Personal rating pending.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2013, 05:15:13 PM »
I wonder why so much hate about Superman?  Just because the movies have sucked in the past, doesn't make him inherently a crappy character.  It's not like the Batman movies after Tim Burton's original and before Nolan's were any good, but obviously Batman is the shit.  I know Superman is pretty OP, but the various writers over the years have managed to balance him out quite a bit.  I never did really have that much of an attachment to him as a character, but I don't see that as a reason to pre-judge this movie.  It's not a work of cinema gold, but it was the best Superman movie to date.

Krypton has always been painted as a very, very colorful place.
Yes but gritty realism and shit, yo.

Anyway, how does it hold up compared to The Avengers? I like The Avengers.

Not sure how to compare them. I haven't seen The Avengers
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2013, 05:40:41 PM »
The first two Superman movies are classics.  This one looks like it could be good.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

rooster

« Reply #12 on: June 14, 2013, 05:46:30 PM »
Superman is one of the role model types. He's the perfect hero with zero personality flaws. He's extremely boring in a wholesome 50s kinda way.

That being said, this movie looks like it might revitalize Superman and add some real emotion and drama to the character the way Nolan did for Batman.

Now we just need a better Spawn movie. Spawn was my favorite comic growing up.

Vindictus

« Reply #13 on: June 14, 2013, 07:00:30 PM »
I wonder why so much hate about Superman?  Just because the movies have sucked in the past, doesn't make him inherently a crappy character.  It's not like the Batman movies after Tim Burton's original and before Nolan's were any good, but obviously Batman is the shit.  I know Superman is pretty OP, but the various writers over the years have managed to balance him out quite a bit.  I never did really have that much of an attachment to him as a character, but I don't see that as a reason to pre-judge this movie.  It's not a work of cinema gold, but it was the best Superman movie to date.

Most people seem to think the new one is crappy because it's not the old ones. The old ones were campy and fun and silly, in the same vein Adam West's batman was. It sounds like they've Nolan-ified it somewhat, which doesn't really work for Superman as well as it does for Batman.

I've seen some good posts on Reddit that explain how Superman can be an interesting character (a more interesting one than Batman/Bruce Wayne), although it's much harder to do so with him.

u wot

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #14 on: June 14, 2013, 08:11:50 PM »

u wot

I was waiting to finish Iron Man 2/Thor(k)/Captain Amerikkka, but now they don't have it on netflix anymore and I don't THAT much of a desire to acquire it by other means.  Never been a huge Marvel fan, save for X-Men.  Sometimes.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #15 on: June 14, 2013, 08:15:57 PM »
Stream it, bro.

Vindictus

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #17 on: June 14, 2013, 08:57:33 PM »
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

« Reply #18 on: June 15, 2013, 07:16:18 AM »
Another Superman movie?
Why do they keep making these, only II was watchable.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #19 on: June 15, 2013, 09:29:26 AM »
Money, and the chance that they actually do make a good superman movie.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

« Reply #20 on: June 15, 2013, 11:01:40 AM »

Superman, agenda promotion and fantasy as reality since inception.

RE, nukes, moon + space-nonsense, super-computers, truth, justice and the american way.

Vindictus

« Reply #21 on: June 21, 2013, 01:59:37 AM »
http://redlettermedia.com/half-in-the-bag-man-of-steel/

Skip to 5 minutes if you don't want to watch their intro stuff.

tl;dw MoS wasn't great. Wasn't true to Superman character, action was over the top and senseless, characters were boring. I especially liked the part where they mention Iron Man 3 and the hate for it regarding the Mandarin twist, it's something that comes up a lot of Reddit (most people loved MoS but hated IM3).

Probably going to see it next week when it comes out.

rooster

« Reply #22 on: June 21, 2013, 04:06:54 AM »
Hmmm. I didn't really care for IM3 but I actually loved the Mandarin twist.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #23 on: June 21, 2013, 04:21:23 AM »
Agreed, I thought it was cool. It was nice to have a superhero movie that wasn't so predictable, I liked it.
Recently listened to:

Genius

• Professor of Geniustology
« Reply #24 on: June 21, 2013, 05:57:20 AM »
I thought Man of Steel was alright. I hope next time they make a Superman movie they'll finally get it fully right.
The earth is round because the space man said so.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #25 on: June 21, 2013, 06:06:35 AM »
I thought Man of Steel was alright. I hope next time they make a Superman movie they'll finally get it fully right.

Time for another reboot, amirite?

Genius

« Reply #26 on: June 21, 2013, 06:08:22 AM »

Time for another reboot, amirite?

Not for another while, I don't think :i

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #27 on: June 21, 2013, 07:18:44 AM »

Sounds like a gruff old communist nursing a pint in the Rochdale Men's Social Club fantasizing that the revolution is close at hand and this time it will be true to Marx and Engel's vision!

A sad delusion of an outtdated idea. Superman was a hero for another time. let Kal-El die peacefully.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #28 on: June 21, 2013, 08:39:13 AM »

Sounds like a gruff old communist nursing a pint in the Rochdale Men's Social Club fantasizing that the revolution is close at hand and this time it will be true to Marx and Engel's vision!

A sad delusion of an outtdated idea. Superman was a hero for another time. let Kal-El die peacefully.

But there's money to be made!

Genius

« Reply #29 on: June 21, 2013, 08:45:56 AM »

But there's money to be made!

Maybe that's what the companies involved are all about, but I just want to see another movie done with modern technology and a good story, good acting too if it's not too much to ask. Sorry if that's so ridiculous.