XBox One is now gonna spy on you...

• 122 Replies

Rushy

Re: XBox One is now gonna spy on you...
« Reply #90 on: June 16, 2013, 07:50:00 AM »
Happily! I will very happily switch my Steam region to USA and pay less for games forever.

Oh, wait. They won't let me.

Your government being retarded isn't Valve's fault.

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
« Reply #91 on: June 16, 2013, 08:08:37 AM »
"My" government doesn't prohibit US dollar transactions. Valve does.
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

Lorddave

« Reply #92 on: June 16, 2013, 11:25:38 AM »
"My" government doesn't prohibit US dollar transactions. Valve does.
What country is your account  linked to?
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #93 on: June 16, 2013, 11:47:21 AM »
What country is your account  linked to?
Right now, I honestly have no clue. Before they implemented the pre-set linking, it was shifting between Poland, UK, and USA. My currency is fixed to the pound now, so I'm assuming it's the UK... but for a period of time my games' prices were in pounds while the wallet was still in the Euro, so fuck knows how the internals of their system works.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #94 on: June 17, 2013, 11:55:27 AM »
OK, so the whole thing with the PCs being used for xbone demos--they're dev kits. My boss gave me a stern talking to about how stupid the internet is and implied I'm stupid for buying into the whole thing, haha. Using windows 7 because games have like a 4+ year development cycle and doesn't make sense to switch OS in the middle. So there's that.  The dev kits are generally always more powerful than the production platform, as well; that's what optimization is for.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Rushy

« Reply #95 on: June 17, 2013, 12:23:56 PM »
A dev kit for the X1 wouldn't include a GTX Titan. The X1 is using an AMD architecture which is wholly different from Nvidia's. In other words, even if they are dev kits, they're still idiots.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #96 on: June 17, 2013, 12:45:33 PM »
Of course, that's assuming that the rumor that they're using GTX Titans in the dev boxes is true.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #97 on: June 17, 2013, 01:18:01 PM »
They're gtx750s as far as I'm aware, but either way it doesn't matter what the dev kits are rolling since dev kits are almost always more powerful than the consumer product and that's what optimization is for anyway.  What brand of chips they're running is fairly irrelevant anyway since DirectX is what's doing the work. 
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Rushy

« Reply #98 on: June 17, 2013, 01:25:45 PM »
They're gtx750s as far as I'm aware, but either way it doesn't matter what the dev kits are rolling since dev kits are almost always more powerful than the consumer product and that's what optimization is for anyway.  What brand of chips they're running is fairly irrelevant anyway since DirectX is what's doing the work.

The brand is not irrelevant. Nvidia and AMD use two totally different methods of architecture. Nvidia uses few stream cores with faster clocks to compensate, while AMD has always used an extreme amount of stream cores with slow clocks. AMD also works a great deal better with OpenGL, compared to DirectX, which is more bulky and works better on Nvidia devices.

If you optimize your product on a Nvidia device and run it on an AMD device, you're going to have a bad time. To see what I'm talking about, run a PhysX enabled game on AMD and compare it to the same game running on a Nvidia device. Albeit Nvidia sort of did this on purpose and its an extreme example, but an example nonetheless.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 01:27:50 PM by Rushy »

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #99 on: June 17, 2013, 01:59:45 PM »
They're not USING OpenGL.  And obviously since xbone uses AMD architecture they aren't going to be using PhysX for the games anyway.  They have to optimize PC games for both architectures anyway so not sure what you're suggesting here.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Rushy

« Reply #100 on: June 17, 2013, 02:12:07 PM »
They're not USING OpenGL.

Depends on the game. 

And obviously since xbone uses AMD architecture they aren't going to be using PhysX for the games anyway.

Unlikely. PhysX is a very useful physics application, especially when compared to the aging Havok engine.

They have to optimize PC games for both architectures anyway so not sure what you're suggesting here.

Because Xbox exclusives don't exist, right?

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #101 on: June 17, 2013, 02:30:16 PM »
Because Xbox exclusives don't exist, right?

Barely.  Of those presented, I only noticed Halo and Quantum Break weren't also planned for PC.  Probably that Disney music game too.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Rushy

« Reply #102 on: June 17, 2013, 03:46:37 PM »
Barely.  Of those presented, I only noticed Halo and Quantum Break weren't also planned for PC.  Probably that Disney music game too.

Eight, so far. Many of the games that aren't exclusive to the X1 are exclusive to consoles.

« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:48:12 PM by Rushy »

Genius

• Professor of Geniustology
« Reply #103 on: June 17, 2013, 03:48:30 PM »
Lol at the DS.
The earth is round because the space man said so.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #104 on: June 17, 2013, 03:52:55 PM »
Gosh Rushy, you are the best, I'm glad you can correct me on everything I say.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Rushy

« Reply #105 on: June 17, 2013, 03:54:58 PM »

Would you prefer I not inform you when your information is outdated or incorrect? If I don't, someone else will, and it will probably be someone that is even more of a prick than I am.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #106 on: June 17, 2013, 03:57:07 PM »
Fifa 14 spans three generations of home consoles. Is that the first game to do that?

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #107 on: June 17, 2013, 04:27:01 PM »
It's because you say stupid things, Nomuds :(

Rushy

« Reply #108 on: June 19, 2013, 03:09:40 PM »
Microsoft decided to unfuck themselves.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

I still think the damage has been done. Microsoft made it clear that if they could, they would.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #109 on: June 19, 2013, 03:18:18 PM »
i dunno. my facebook is full of people wanting one now.

Lorddave

« Reply #110 on: June 19, 2013, 03:27:10 PM »
Microsoft decided to unfuck themselves.

http://news.xbox.com/2013/06/update

I still think the damage has been done. Microsoft made it clear that if they could, they would.
I did not see this coming.
I wonder who got fired.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #111 on: June 19, 2013, 03:32:44 PM »
they were probably shitting bricks. i was walking round super markets hearing people talking about their big fuck up. they knew it would flop.

Rushy

« Reply #112 on: June 19, 2013, 03:36:33 PM »
The amazon poll where 95% of voters went for the PS4 was probably a stern wake-up call. Not to mention when your company's stocks go down after a convention like E3, you know you're in deep shit.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #113 on: June 19, 2013, 03:39:02 PM »
im surprised only 5% wanted a pc

Thork

• Please do not touch or disturb me.
« Reply #114 on: June 19, 2013, 03:42:57 PM »
I don't see the big deal. Microsoft tried something new, their customers said they wouldn't like it, they changed it. Same thing with the Windows 8 start bar.

The customer is always right. Microsoft realise this. This is the sign of a good company. A belligerent company like EA that absolutely will not listen to customers is not so nice. In fact, they become absolutely despised.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #115 on: June 19, 2013, 04:17:26 PM »
The problem comes when you present all these restrictions as part of a big platform of values, progress, improvement etc, and then do an about-face the moment your competitor says "no that's dumb".

All Sony did was keep the status quo, and Microsoft could not defend their new policies versus the status quo. That sends a terrible message about Microsoft's original argument, and their reasons for pushing it. If this vision was so crucial, why is it so indefensible? If this was worth doing, why is Microsoft so quick to walk away? If this was something that would benefit the consumer, as Microsoft originally claimed, why aren't Microsoft sticking to their guns, telling us how much better things will be this way? People have been complaining for months - why did the announcement come only after Sony lay their cards on the table?

Until now, the Xbox brand has been largely able to disassociate itself from the frankly toxic brand-values of Microsoft as a whole. This fiasco has managed to undo all of that. I think this is almost certainly a better move than sticking with policies which clearly weren't intended to benefit consumers, but I don't think most gamers will forget.

This E3, Sony were the guys at the party who were fun all night, but stayed classy and came round the next day to help you clean up. Microsoft were the guys who vomited on your couch, broke your TV, and came round offering to pay for it a week later when everyone unfriended them on Facebook.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #116 on: June 19, 2013, 04:54:47 PM »
Same thing with the Windows 8 start bar.
The start menu is still gone - they just added a button that takes you to Metro. It's a step in the right direction, but there are dozens of 3rd-party solutions that do the same thing better.

The customer is always right. Microsoft realise this.
They do realise this, but their response is usually along the lines of "Ugh, we're go with the bare minimum if we have to". Now, I'm not saying that that's extraordinary in any way, but it's not a sign of a good company. It's merely a sign of a company that wants to make a profit (i.e. pretty much any non-bankrupt company).

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #117 on: June 21, 2013, 01:01:20 PM »
http://www.examiner.com/article/rumor-microsoft-removing-kinect-requirement-without-xbox-one-price-drop

DAMAGE CONTROL MODE FULL POWER

It's gone up from "why would anyone buy this" to "if PS4 wasn't an alternative, this would seem pretty decent". Good job, Microsoft.

Rushy

« Reply #118 on: June 21, 2013, 01:03:16 PM »
I wonder if they'll bite the bullet and make it $400.

?

Blanko

• Terrorist
« Reply #119 on: June 21, 2013, 01:07:27 PM »
I wonder if they'll bite the bullet and make it $400.

They'll have to if they make a Kinectless edition.