XBox One is now gonna spy on you...

• 122 Replies

PizzaPlanet

• Now available in stereo
Re: XBox One is now gonna spy on you...
« Reply #60 on: June 12, 2013, 12:32:50 AM »
hacking your precious forum as we speak 8) 8) 8)

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #61 on: June 12, 2013, 06:39:52 PM »
God I really hope that Gaben can rally the troops to embrace OpenGL and linux so I finally can dump Windows for good and not have to give my money to MS anymore.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Rushy

« Reply #62 on: June 12, 2013, 07:04:40 PM »
We might be watching the most monumental gaming console fuck up since the Sega Saturn incident.

« Reply #63 on: June 12, 2013, 08:07:54 PM »
God I really hope that Gaben can rally the troops to embrace OpenGL and linux so I finally can dump Windows for good and not have to give my money to MS anymore.
Lol, you've been doing this?

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #64 on: June 13, 2013, 06:44:42 AM »
Yes, I pay for my non-free software.  I'm a terrible person.  :C
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

« Reply #65 on: June 13, 2013, 07:35:26 AM »
I do too. But not to Microshit. They don't need any more money. And they're definitely not getting any from me.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #67 on: June 13, 2013, 09:55:04 AM »
God I really hope that Gaben can rally the troops to embrace OpenGL and linux
You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #68 on: June 13, 2013, 10:45:19 AM »
We might be watching the most monumental gaming console fuck up since the Sega Saturn incident.
Your are right everywhere you go people are talking about it. I'd like to see a Samsung console I think that company will become the next super power in technology.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #69 on: June 13, 2013, 04:50:52 PM »
God I really hope that Gaben can rally the troops to embrace OpenGL and linux
You're doing this on purpose, aren't you?

Go **** yourself you ******** ****.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 03:31:11 PM by Pongo »
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #70 on: June 14, 2013, 10:19:08 PM »

source: https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/status/345338828606812160

Yep, that's right.  No matter how many games you've bought and/or how much money you've spent in your Xbox live account, if you get your account banned for whatever reason you will lose all ability to play your xbone games.  You can literally have a copy of the game IN YOUR HAND that is NOT playable on ANY console because of an account ban. How is that OK?
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #71 on: June 14, 2013, 10:26:03 PM »
It's okay, just not really right. I mean, technically, if they are straightforward with terms and condition of their games/console, they can do whatever they want. Doesn't really seem to be a good idea for marketing though. Players are likely to, you know, buy more stuff. I don't see why they would think disallowing people to use their product completely would be a good thing.
Quote from: sokarul
Better bring a better augment, something not so stupid.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #72 on: June 14, 2013, 10:27:29 PM »
Oh sure it's allowable by their TOS, but is it ethically sound?  Absofuckinglutely not.

Not to mention, Microsoft has confirmed that the Xbox Live's TOS for the Xbox One prevents class action lawsuits against them.

It's not even about being a bad console (it's pretty technologically great), or about having bad games (though frankly it appears to have zero exclusives worth considering that aren't also planned to be released on PC), it's about the fact that they publicly do not give a single shit about the consumer.

This makes me so mad that I genuinely feel like I should uninstall and burn my copy of Windows because I know this is where they intend to take things on that platform as well.  I've even defended them as a company in the past, but fuck that.  They are literally the devil.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2013, 10:32:40 PM by Nomad »
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #73 on: June 14, 2013, 10:32:31 PM »
I don't see how it's unethical, really. Their terms are available before you buy their products, and as a consumer you can chose to, or not to, use their product. You and many others will not like their terms, not buy their product, and they will probably lose (maybe just a little) money. They are treating their customers like shit yet their customers seem not to care, so its all cool.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #74 on: June 14, 2013, 11:06:45 PM »
I don't think peoples' ignorant willingness to enter into a service which is destined to screw them over makes it any more ethically sound.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #75 on: June 14, 2013, 11:14:59 PM »
This is a dumb argument because I agree it sucks. However you're wrong. Because Microsoft, as evidenced by the tweet you posted obviously isn't trying to hide what they're doing. Being ignorant of information easily accessible, hell, handed directly to consumers in many cases, is not excusable. If your later dislike what you got into, that is on you, not the person selling the product.

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
« Reply #76 on: June 15, 2013, 12:53:03 AM »
The sales figures are going to be interesting this time next year. I wonder if all of these shitty decisions will result in any appreciable losses for them.

Lorddave

« Reply #77 on: June 15, 2013, 04:05:06 AM »
A Microsoft executive is going to get so fired for this.
You have been ignored for common interest of mankind.

I am a terrible person and I am a typical Blowhard Liberal for being wrong about Bom.

rooster

« Reply #78 on: June 15, 2013, 07:50:23 AM »

source: https://twitter.com/XboxSupport1/status/345338828606812160

Yep, that's right.  No matter how many games you've bought and/or how much money you've spent in your Xbox live account, if you get your account banned for whatever reason you will lose all ability to play your xbone games.  You can literally have a copy of the game IN YOUR HAND that is NOT playable on ANY console because of an account ban. How is that OK?
You mean just like Steam? Physical media is an illusion, it's all about the license.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #79 on: June 15, 2013, 08:32:06 AM »
You mean just like Steam?
They stopped doing that some time ago.

Rushy

« Reply #80 on: June 15, 2013, 08:57:19 AM »
Valve normally just bans you from specific game multiplayers. Microsoft, however, bans entire accounts often and sometimes with very little reason. http://www.smosh.com/smosh-pit/articles/9-best-ways-get-banned-xbox-live

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #81 on: June 15, 2013, 09:35:45 AM »
Yeah, Steam is policed with a lot more intelligence.

I'll admit, though, the game sharing/lending/selling platform for Xbone is somewhat less draconian than what you find on Steam, at least.

From my understanding you can "share" your games like so:

• Sign in on your friend's xbone and play the game, but have to maintain a once an hour network check in.
  • Lend your friend the license through the XBL marketplace for a couple days at the cost of not being able to do anything with the physical copy you have.
  • Give (not sell) your friend the license in the XBL marketplace, also rendering the physical copy useless unless you give it to them as well.
  • Sell your license to the XBL marketplace for probably even less than you'd get at gamestop, and Microsoft will probably sell it for more (these prices are, of course, guesses)
So if you simply just gave them the disc, it'd just say something like "this disc has already been activated, please sign in with the account associated with this game's license."  Or I think they also said something about having to pay a fee for multiple activations or something.

In this way, it's more "free" to sharing than Steam is.  And this is actually something I've wished Steam had for a while now.  The depressing part about all this mess is that I'm starting to realize just how restrictive Steam is, as much as I love the service and appreciate their A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ customer service (to use the eBay phrasing)
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

rooster

« Reply #82 on: June 15, 2013, 09:46:35 AM »
The "family sharing" aspect of XBox One is also pretty neat. Players you add to your "family" list can play any game you have even if you're not online.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #83 on: June 15, 2013, 10:01:30 AM »
I don't see how it's unethical, really. Their terms are available before you buy their products, and as a consumer you can chose to, or not to, use their product. You and many others will not like their terms, not buy their product, and they will probably lose (maybe just a little) money. They are treating their customers like shit yet their customers seem not to care, so its all cool.
I agree.  It's completely ethical for Microsoft to impose any terms that they see fit.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #84 on: June 15, 2013, 10:36:44 AM »
Not sure how legit this is, but...

Rumor has it that the folks that got "hands-on" Xbone demos at E3 were actually playing on high-end PCs with GeForce Titan cards.
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

Rushy

« Reply #85 on: June 15, 2013, 10:46:55 AM »
Rumor has it that the folks that got "hands-on" Xbone demos at E3 were actually playing on high-end PCs with GeForce Titan cards.

That's really strange, considering that a Titan is more than two times more powerful than the GPU in the X1. If they were tricking people like that, they were going above and beyond about making the X1 something it isn't.

?

Sean

• Official Member
« Reply #86 on: June 15, 2013, 12:46:43 PM »
I agree.  It's completely ethical for Microsoft to impose any terms that they see fit.

So long as your purchase of Microsoft items is not mandatory, yes.

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #87 on: June 15, 2013, 12:57:51 PM »
their A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ customer service
Have you actually used it? I've had nothing but terrible experiences. Here's my favourite:

Their ingenious "wallet" system couldn't handle the fact that I had €0.38 on my account from before I moved countries, so I'd get lots and lots of error messages every time I tried to make a purchase. I tried asking them to convert it to £, but they were scared I'm trying to rob them of €0.38. So I asked for them to just get rid of my balance but set the wallet to the right currency, just so that it stops bothering me with errors. Nope, that's too hard as well. It took them a month of "escalating" and asking for "my debit card details" (which one? I've used four different cards with my Steam account at the very least. "Sir, we need your debit card details." YES, BUT WHICH ONE. "Your debit card details.") to eventually convert it.

[pix]

Well, keep in mind that Xbones are just x86 PCs on the inside. It's a white lie, and if they don't see the casing, they probably won't see the difference.

?

Nomad

• Official Member
« Reply #88 on: June 15, 2013, 05:14:22 PM »
their A+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ customer service
Have you actually used it? I've had nothing but terrible experiences. Here's my favourite:

Their ingenious "wallet" system couldn't handle the fact that I had €0.38 on my account from before I moved countries, so I'd get lots and lots of error messages every time I tried to make a purchase. I tried asking them to convert it to £, but they were scared I'm trying to rob them of €0.38. So I asked for them to just get rid of my balance but set the wallet to the right currency, just so that it stops bothering me with errors. Nope, that's too hard as well. It took them a month of "escalating" and asking for "my debit card details" (which one? I've used four different cards with my Steam account at the very least. "Sir, we need your debit card details." YES, BUT WHICH ONE. "Your debit card details.") to eventually convert it.

use real money
Nomad is a superhero.

8/30 NEVAR FORGET

PizzaPlanet

« Reply #89 on: June 16, 2013, 12:39:22 AM »
use real money
Happily! I will very happily switch my Steam region to USA and pay less for games forever.

Oh, wait. They won't let me.