Just Watched

• 226 Replies

Supertails

• what do i put here
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #150 on: September 07, 2013, 07:38:33 PM »
Just watched The World's End. Now I'm miserable. It was the funniest movie I've seen in a long time...and it made me realize that that's the first time in a long time I've felt really "happy". Like, contentedly sitting there laughing, talking with my sister and nephew afterwards and smiling, laughing with them, just feeling real happiness. I thought I've been happy from time to time, had good moments in-between all the gloominess, but feeling that again made me realize that I've only had moments where I'm not *totally* miserable. I remembered what it felt like to not be depressed for a few hours, and now I'm right back into it and it only feels worse than ever now that I remember that feeling. Now I feel kind of empty.

Sorry for the emo whining and stuff, but I don't really have anywhere else to turn right now and I need to get it out somehow. For what it's worth, the movie was amazing.
Recently listened to:

rooster

« Reply #151 on: September 07, 2013, 07:46:57 PM »
Whoa, Supes. Chickens are kinda my thing.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #152 on: September 08, 2013, 02:28:54 AM »
Insidious (James Wan)

Or Ineffective Jump Scares: The Movie. This is yet another lame, poorly paced, no-atmosphere modern horror film with terrible CGI effects that failed to make me even slightly uncomfortable (and I scare pretty damn easily!). It feels like a collection of rejected nu metal music videos, especially towards the end, and all that's really needed to complete the look is for Jonathan Davis to show up in a kilt and shout at the camera. Unfortunately that's as close to atmosphere as the film ever really gets past perhaps the first 10 or 20 minutes, and even they are only halfway serviceable. If MST3k came back 20 years from now, this is the kind of film they would be making fun of. Watch Poltergeist instead.

« Reply #153 on: September 08, 2013, 07:12:04 AM »
On Elysium, I thought it was good, but not so much compared to District 9. I can't help comparing them as they have such similar themes and visual styles. In fact with Elysium there's this sort of staleness about the whole concept. You know the whole most of the world is a wasteland except for a few rich folk who live in luxury....but the downtrodden masses will one day rise up etc etc.....yawn, been there, done that so many times. I felt they could have explored the regular population on the station much more, heck you barely see them. I got the impression the folk living there weren't actually evil and meant to be demonised. Maybe what could have happened is one of the refugees could have met a resident, and the residents having been indoctrinated to believe the refugees are the evil ones, gradually comes to sympathise with them and helps bring them medical care. You could do a lot of juicy stuff with that setup. Show the residents being taught a line about how everyone on earth is suffering but it's their own fault for being feckless and all they need to do is 'work hard' and earn their way onto the station where the successful people live because they deserve it.

As it was I still enjoyed it, standard dodgy sci-fi physics and orbital mechanics aside. Just seems there's been a missed opportunity to explore some deeper stuff instead of more generic shootouts.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #154 on: September 08, 2013, 07:19:49 AM »
If MST3k came back 20 years from now, this is the kind of film they would be making fun of.

Well, there's RiffTrax.  They might do it someday.

rooster

« Reply #155 on: September 08, 2013, 08:16:50 AM »
If MST3k came back 20 years from now, this is the kind of film they would be making fun of.

MST3K is still around they just go by Rifftrax now. But it's still Mike, Servo, and the guy who did later season Crow. They broadcast live all the time too. I already mentioned this but I get to see them live again next month cause they broadcast out of a Nashville movie theater. :D

Anyway... Insidious was a huge disappointment to me cause the ending was just plain dumb. There's a second one coming out soon which I will still have to see of course. I must watch all scary movies.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #156 on: September 08, 2013, 08:53:26 AM »

Yeah, I just meant with MST being typically focused on older films and all.

rooster

« Reply #157 on: September 08, 2013, 09:08:23 AM »

I think the main reason for that was money. It's probably too expensive to license the modern stuff. They do everything now which still includes older films.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #158 on: September 08, 2013, 09:42:10 AM »

I think the main reason for that was money. It's probably too expensive to license the modern stuff. They do everything now which still includes older films.

That's right.  Simply recording an audio track of riffing on a movie has no legal restrictions.  It's when you include the movie itself that you have to start jumping through hoops.

« Reply #159 on: September 08, 2013, 04:23:52 PM »
I've nearly finished watching all that's been released of the BBC production Sherlock. Renowned vampire/actor Benedict penguinersnatch is great for the role.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #160 on: September 09, 2013, 03:13:41 PM »
I've nearly finished watching all that's been released of the BBC production Sherlock. Renowned vampire/actor Benedict penguinersnatch is great for the role.

Martin Freeman is very good as Martin Freeman with a different backstory.

Yesterday I watched The Way Way Back, which is Jim Rash's (a.k.a. Dean Pelton) directorial debut, and it was very wonderful. It was kinda slow at first, but I got plenty of laughs from it and felt warm and fuzzy inside and I think it was the first time I've ever seen Steve Carell actually act. Definitely my favourite role of his, even if he wasn't the main character. Maybe especially because of that.
Recently listened to:

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #161 on: September 24, 2013, 02:49:22 PM »
A Field in England (Ben Wheatley)

A group of deserters from the English Civil War go insane in the middle of a field. It was pretty good.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #162 on: September 24, 2013, 03:48:30 PM »
Yeah the way back is good I own that on DVD.
I watched oblivion last night. It's a sci-fi with Tom Cruise. Isn't too bad but I'm glad I did t buy it.

Roundy the Truthinessist

• Flat Earth TheFLAMETHROWER!
  • The Elder Ones
  • I'm the boss.
« Reply #163 on: September 24, 2013, 04:04:59 PM »
Death Bed: The Bed That Eats.  Exactly what it says on the tin.  The bed eats fried chicken (but not the bucket, or the bones), flowers, and oh yeah... PEOPLE!  And it had a magic sheet that is able to stretch out and retrieve fleeing victims.  It helps if the victim's legs have been partially dissolved by magic acid.  Oh, and there's this guy who has his hand eaten, except for the bones...

My friends, this was a classically, gloriously bad movie.
Where did you educate the biology, in toulet?

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #164 on: September 30, 2013, 05:37:01 PM »
Death Bed: The Bed That Eats.  Exactly what it says on the tin.  The bed eats fried chicken (but not the bucket, or the bones), flowers, and oh yeah... PEOPLE!  And it had a magic sheet that is able to stretch out and retrieve fleeing victims.  It helps if the victim's legs have been partially dissolved by magic acid.  Oh, and there's this guy who has his hand eaten, except for the bones...

My friends, this was a classically, gloriously bad movie.
Oh yeah, that film, man, that fucking film. I'm surprised someone else here has seen it, I thought I was alone here in my taste for Z-grade entertainment.

The Man Who Wasn't There (Ethan & Joel Coen)

Sort of like a noir riff on Albert Camus's L'Étranger, but more than different enough to be its own work. Billy Bob Thornton's central performance as Ed Crane is brilliant, communicating effortlessly that he is a man going through the motions of a normal workaday life he has somehow projected himself into from the margins of society, or perhaps even completely outside of it. With its distinctive camera work, performances, deadpan black comedy and eerie tone it has all the hallmarks of a great Coen brothers film, and lives up to their acclaimed works like Fargo, Barton Fink and The Big Lebowski. I think folks should done get it watched, yessir.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2013, 05:38:50 PM by Crudblud »

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #165 on: September 30, 2013, 06:14:58 PM »
Since I forgot to post, last weekend I saw Prisoners. It was very good. Easily the best actual acting I've seen Hugh Jackman do, and I love Jake Gyllenhaal in mostly anything, so.
Recently listened to:

Thork

• Please do not touch or disturb me.
« Reply #166 on: October 03, 2013, 01:49:28 PM »

Thork

« Reply #167 on: October 03, 2013, 01:56:03 PM »

« Reply #168 on: October 03, 2013, 04:29:35 PM »
Recently watched both seasons of Black Mirror. I'd compare it very favorably to the original Twilight Zone with a bit of The Outer Limits. Of 6 episodes 5 were consistently excellent with only one rather duff one. There's one in particular (White Bear) that was just fucking horrible to endure for the last 20 minutes or so because you know fine well the 'satire' is biting extremely close to reality. Well, that's true of pretty much all of it, but damn if that episode didn't make me want to take a shower and keep thinking 'my fellow man couldn't be *that* callous surely....'. Great stuff.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #169 on: October 04, 2013, 01:37:12 AM »
Black Mirror is fantastic, but I'd agree with the duffer episode (Let me guess, the one with the cartoon bear?) They're always very, very sharply written and generally make you feel quite uncomfortable watching it .White Bear and 15 million credits in particular really stuck with me.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #170 on: October 04, 2013, 06:29:28 AM »
Holy Motors (Leos Carax)

Probably the most bizarre film I've seen since David Lynch's Inland Empire. I'm not familiar with Carax's previous work, but if this is anything to go on he has a penchant for creating strangely compelling drama out of thin air. Characters drop in and out, weaving around the central character, the chameleon Mr Oscar (Denis Lavant), and though we spend less than 10 minutes with any given one they all seem to be fleshed out by their particular episode rather effectively. There are many things we obviously never find out about any of them, but not so much as to make them appear two-dimensional. Lavant's central performance is a veritable masterclass, playing no fewer than 11 characters, each one with their own distinct aesthetic and personality, each one totally believable.

Intriguing, enigmatic, unpredictable, and yet with the utmost craft and focus, this is a film I highly recommend.

Foxy

• but it did happen
« Reply #171 on: October 04, 2013, 07:01:30 AM »
Holy Motors (Leos Carax)

Probably the most bizarre film I've seen since David Lynch's Inland Empire. I'm not familiar with Carax's previous work, but if this is anything to go on he has a penchant for creating strangely compelling drama out of thin air. Characters drop in and out, weaving around the central character, the chameleon Mr Oscar (Denis Lavant), and though we spend less than 10 minutes with any given one they all seem to be fleshed out by their particular episode rather effectively. There are many things we obviously never find out about any of them, but not so much as to make them appear two-dimensional. Lavant's central performance is a veritable masterclass, playing no fewer than 11 characters, each one with their own distinct aesthetic and personality, each one totally believable.

Intriguing, enigmatic, unpredictable, and yet with the utmost craft and focus, this is a film I highly recommend.

This sounds like something I need to see.

Thork

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #173 on: October 05, 2013, 02:37:06 PM »
Okay, Thork.  This isn't the "Post YouTube videos" thread.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #174 on: October 06, 2013, 01:29:48 PM »
Just watched Gravity. It was so so good. I was really skeptical at first because the trailers weren't very good and Sandra Bullock, but it was actually pretty amazing. The atmosphere (ohoho) was fantastically whatever the opposite of claustrophobic is, and the music and its juxtapositions were jarringly excellent. I want to check out this film's soundtrack, actually. And Sandra Bullock was surprisingly really really good. George Clooney, too, but he usually is anyway. But anyway, yeah. I like how much of space they got right, too, even if it wasn't 100% accurate all the time. It was just awesome and I kind of want to see it again sometime.
Recently listened to:

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #175 on: October 06, 2013, 02:10:18 PM »
George Clooney, too, but he usually is anyway.

After all, he is George Clooney.  Ha ha ha ha ha.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #176 on: October 06, 2013, 02:18:23 PM »
George Clooney, too, but he usually is anyway.

After all, he is George Clooney.  Ha ha ha ha ha.

what is this
Recently listened to:

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #177 on: October 06, 2013, 02:20:20 PM »
You don't remember the brief, yet glorious period when George Clooney joined this website?

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #178 on: October 06, 2013, 02:42:14 PM »
Vaguely, now that you mentioned it. Should I be looking up his profile and relishing the awesome?
Recently listened to:

rooster

« Reply #179 on: October 06, 2013, 02:43:44 PM »
You don't remember the brief, yet glorious period when George Clooney joined this website?
I do not remember this.