Just Watched

• 226 Replies

Vindictus

• insightful personal text
Re: Just Watched
« Reply #60 on: July 16, 2013, 08:06:14 PM »
Interesting is subjective, but I'm not so sure about original. The movie is definitely an original work that doesn't borrow too heavily from any other genre, but the plot is somewhat hackneyed (Spoiler: they literally do the ending to The Avengers). It's not a problem because it's designed to be simple, I mean the movie came in at 2 hours and barely half of that was spent on characters and establishing the world.

For what del Toro accomplished, it was pretty good. Hopefully it pulls in figures that encourage the making of these movies (even though a Godzilla reboot is coming soon). I'd really like to see the world fleshed out more, but that's unlikely as they effectively rule out a sequel and a prequel comic has already been done.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #61 on: July 16, 2013, 08:34:30 PM »
I guess I can see your spoiler-point there. I didn't even think about that for some reason, but it is incredibly similar, isn't it?
Recently listened to:

Vindictus

« Reply #62 on: July 17, 2013, 09:25:24 PM »
Much ado about nothing, the Joss Whedon version. Very enjoyable movie for something filmed in 12 days. It wasn't hard to follow even though I haven't read any Shakespeare since high school. Nathan Fillion was fantastic and provided most of the comedy. I recommend it if you're at all interested in whedon or Shakespeare.

Vindictus

« Reply #63 on: July 19, 2013, 07:08:32 AM »
The Conjuring. A good modern horror movie, even though it feels old. Effectively builds up jump scares but ultimately relies too much on them to really scare me. If they're your thing then cool, but I prefer something that fucks with my head. Actors were good, and I enjoy watch vera farmiga in just about anything. The ending was also surprisingly happy.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #64 on: July 21, 2013, 01:19:00 PM »
Behind the Candelabra (Stephen Soderbergh)

Surprisingly moving depiction of Liberace's relationship with Scott Thorson. It originally had problems with funding because it was "too gay" but I'm not sure I understand that criticism, certainly there's homosex in the film but it isn't gratuitous, you can see Matt Damon's nipples in a couple of shots and that's about it. Mostly it plays out as a black comedy about excess, loneliness, superficiality and greed. Highly recommended.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #65 on: July 21, 2013, 01:22:02 PM »
^ I want to see that. Been a while since I've been scared and I've heard good things.

So I saw Office Space yesterday. It was pretty funny. I don't think there were any moments I actually laughed out loud or did more than crack a smile, but it was pretty entertaining and I liked the characters. Bill Lumbergh made me almost laugh just by speaking. But yeah. Pretty nice.

Just saw R.I.P.D. today. It was pretty horrible. I was incredibly bored and cracked a smile exactly twice through the whole movie; the rest of the time my dad and I were sitting there with straight faces, bored. It was incredibly predictable, boring, badly-acted and had terrible, generic one-liners and it was just incredibly boring and you should not see it. Do not listen to those who say Jeff Brdiges' character is funny sometimes. The cowboy character is too over-the-top and ridiculously safe and boring that it's really taxing on your ears trying to watch him.

Worst movie I've seen in quite a while, partly due to just being so goddamn tedious. :]
Recently listened to:

rooster

« Reply #66 on: July 21, 2013, 02:07:38 PM »
The Conjuring. A good modern horror movie, even though it feels old. Effectively builds up jump scares but ultimately relies too much on them to really scare me. If they're your thing then cool, but I prefer something that fucks with my head. Actors were good, and I enjoy watch vera farmiga in just about anything. The ending was also surprisingly happy.
I also want to see this.

I just saw Pacific Rim. Good stuff. The protagonist could have been a better actor but his attractiveness made up for that a little, I guess. I loved the way the kaiju and the jaegers looked. The whole drift thing was a little weird and the fight to see if someone was drift compatible seemed silly. But overall, I was very entertained. I even got a little choked up over little Mako.
« Last Edit: July 21, 2013, 02:11:15 PM by rooster »

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #67 on: July 21, 2013, 02:08:51 PM »
Worst movie I've seen in quite a while

If this is true, then you need to up your intake of terrible movies.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #68 on: July 21, 2013, 02:13:06 PM »
What's been worse in recent months?
Recently listened to:

Thork

• Please do not touch or disturb me.
« Reply #69 on: July 21, 2013, 02:13:43 PM »
I fancy seeing Rush when it comes out. Ron Howard usually does a good job.

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">RUSH Trailer (2013)

rooster

« Reply #70 on: July 21, 2013, 02:18:08 PM »

#ws" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">RUSH Trailer (2013)
Aside from that fact that car racing is extremely boring and uninteresting, this looks good. Although it might be difficult for me to see that guy as anyone other than Fredrick Zoller.

Thork

• Please do not touch or disturb me.
« Reply #71 on: July 21, 2013, 02:20:01 PM »

Aside from that fact that car racing is extremely boring and uninteresting, this looks good. Although it might be difficult for me to see that guy as anyone other than Fredrick Zoller.
Take your boyfriend.

The trailer focuses a lot on the action but much of the story is about James Hunt being awesome.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #72 on: July 22, 2013, 08:36:04 PM »
I would hazard a guess at After Earth, or perhaps Sharknado.

Vindictus

« Reply #73 on: July 22, 2013, 08:53:43 PM »

Grown Ups 2.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #74 on: July 22, 2013, 10:24:46 PM »

Grown Ups 2.

deer piss

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #75 on: July 23, 2013, 08:05:36 PM »

Hmm, you may be right after After Earth, that was pretty terrible. I think they may be on about the same level, though. I don't know. Horribly unfunny things are worse for me to sit through than things I can at least make fun of, so maybe that makes my memory of After Earth a bit better. :P And don't you dare insult Sharknado.

Grown Ups 2.

I had the good fortune to not see that, but yikes, I bet you're very right about that
Recently listened to:

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #76 on: July 24, 2013, 04:01:49 AM »
Porky's is funny as hell, Mrs Ballbricker, the gym teacher who gets horny around dirty underwear. Several lol's again.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #77 on: July 24, 2013, 08:12:44 AM »
Just watched What's Eating Gilbert Grape This movie's got a weird place in my heart, since I'd seen bits and pieces as a child and my mom always talked about how it was her favourite movie. So I've had this weird place for it in me where it was a bit of a childhood legend, but I didn't fully understand what it was about. Finally decided to give it go and sit down and watch the whole thing now that I'm older.

Just...wow. It was amazing. So depressing, but at the same time pretty uplifting and just...good. At the end I wasn't sure if I should be crying or if I should be smiling. A bit of both, I guess. John Depp was really good but Leonardo DiCaprio was amazing. Wow. Just...wow, I guess. It's a weird movie to try to sum up. It's nothing huge, no big spectacle, just a small story about a small, troubled family in a small neighbourhood. And it was brilliant.

Try black balloon if you liked it. A similar film from Australia.

I watched jack the giant slayer last night. I was suckered by the trailers but it wasn't bad.
I don't watch regular tv so I do watch a lot of movies.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #78 on: July 24, 2013, 09:33:33 AM »
Porky's is funny as hell, Mrs Ballbricker, the gym teacher who gets horny around dirty underwear. Several lol's again.

That movie is retarded.

Supertails

• what do i put here
« Reply #79 on: July 24, 2013, 02:18:43 PM »

I can't say that quote made me want to watch it at all X.x
Recently listened to:

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #80 on: July 24, 2013, 02:24:44 PM »

It's basically a precursor to American Pie and similar fare. Not very interesting.

Chris Spaghetti

• Flat Earth Editor
« Reply #81 on: July 25, 2013, 08:41:19 AM »
Started watching Sherlock last night, looks good

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #82 on: July 25, 2013, 06:01:49 PM »
Synecdoche, New York (Charlie Kaufman)

Certainly a highly interesting and ambitious film, I'll need to see it again at some point to really confirm my thoughts about it, maybe more than once.

?

squevil

• Official Member
  • Im Telling On You
« Reply #83 on: July 26, 2013, 02:15:19 AM »
I had that isuue with Cloud Atlas, I never did decide if I liked it or not.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #84 on: July 26, 2013, 05:36:12 AM »
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michel Gondry)

The overall idea of the film is pretty clever, but I think it would be more interesting in practice if we remained with the lead the whole time and didn't really know what was going on elsewhere. Unlike some other Charlie Kaufman-penned films I've seen, such as Synecdoche, New York and Adaptation, this doesn't really have much depth once the twists are over and done with (it's more of an "oh, I see" rather than a "wait, what?" kind of thing). I still don't know what's really going on in those films by the time they're over, but here everything seems very much cut and dried on a first viewing. Probably his most popular work because it's basically a feel good movie underneath all the psychological bafflement, and possibly also because it stars Jim Carrey. Overall it was a decent watch.

?

Adolf Hipster

« Reply #85 on: July 26, 2013, 05:52:15 AM »
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 1

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #86 on: July 26, 2013, 06:06:13 AM »

It's basically a precursor to American Pie and similar fare. Not very interesting.
It is better than American Pie. It is about teenage high school guys in the 50's in Florida. They go to Porky's, a country redneck dive bar, and Porky a big fat redneck, nasty sob. Rips all the guys off for about $100. The movie shows the guys hijinks in school, and their efforts at getting revenge on Porky. It is funny.
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

rooster

« Reply #87 on: July 26, 2013, 06:34:09 AM »

It is better than American Pie. It is about teenage high school guys in the 50's in Florida. They go to Porky's, a country redneck dive bar, and Porky a big fat redneck, nasty sob. Rips all the guys off for about $100. The movie shows the guys hijinks in school, and their efforts at getting revenge on Porky. It is funny.
It's a movie that I would expect Hoppy to find funny.

?

Crudblud

• Scone Advocate
« Reply #88 on: July 28, 2013, 10:02:31 AM »
Being John Malkovich (Spike Jonze)

Another Charlie Kaufman film! I complained about Eternal Sunshine's lack of genuine depth, this has depth in spades, buckets, skips, ocean liners, whatever comes after that. I don't want to gush, even though I already have, so I'll just say that I think this is a work of brilliance, pure and simple. Instafaves, for certain.

rooster

« Reply #89 on: July 28, 2013, 11:17:32 AM »
Being John Malkovich (Spike Jonze)

Another Charlie Kaufman film! I complained about Eternal Sunshine's lack of genuine depth, this has depth in spades, buckets, skips, ocean liners, whatever comes after that. I don't want to gush, even though I already have, so I'll just say that I think this is a work of brilliance, pure and simple. Instafaves, for certain.
I looove that movie.

I just started watching Firefly. It's a good show with great characters. I love the run down lawless future theme. It appeals to me more than the clean technology of Star Trek. Although I'm not really into the River storyline. I find that to be a tad boring and generic. I just watched the episode where she randomly slashed Jayne, that was a pretty intense moment so she got points for that.