Space Flight

• 870 Replies

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
Re: Space Flight
« Reply #480 on: June 21, 2013, 12:18:09 PM »
A 5 inch thick steel pressure vessel they were in and it had glass windows.  ;D
A single small cone shaped plexi glass window,  whose thickness they hadn't commented but at most about the same thickness of the vessel.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

sokarul

• Extra Racist

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #482 on: June 21, 2013, 04:47:11 PM »
Quote from: DuckDodgers
I already linked to you the information about the sub that reached the Challenger Deep,  the deepest part of the ocean.   And there have been 3 other visits to that depth.   That is over 10 km below the surface.  People went down and came back to tell the tale,  so I'd say their vessel survived this crushing pressure.
Yes and shuttles and rockets have been into space and to the moon and stuff.
If you think these subs have went to the deepest part of the ocean then you are so naive, it's actually not funny.
I can understand a kid or someone who takes no notice of what's and why's and wherefores but you are supposed to have some scientific savvy like others and yet you swallow so much crap that surely your alarm bells must sound.
If not, you must be scared to have your thoughts dashed so you just go along with the crap that they dish out.

Seriously, common sense alone should tell you why those subs didn't go to where they say they did.
Hands up how many believe that crap about the subs?

I, too, am not quite sure as to what you are saying.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mariana_Trench

Or is this just another typical FE reply that any thing on wikipedia is fake ?
Or that any thing or any source of information that disagrees with FET is fake ?
Or that any thing or source of information that disagrees with what FE "thinks" or "believes" is fake ?
Look at the depth and look at the sub, the tonnage...everything and then think about the amount of air he would need for that trip down.
It's absolute bollocks and if you can't see that, then I can't help you. Just carry on believing it.

Thank you for your fine forensic anaylysis Mr. Sceptimatic. I assume you have Doctor's degrees in oceanography , physics and engineering et cetera  and Post-Graduate studies and experience in those subjects  to back up your statements.  ;D

"Just go with what you believe. I'm not arsed whether you believe it or not. It doesn't affect me in any way.
One day the light bulb may come on, you never know."

I sometimes wonder if Sceptimatic has had a power outage ?  ???

Sceptimatic is more like somebody who hasn't paid their power bill in 10 years because he thinks David Letterman wants to steal his brainwaves through the electrical socket.

Relax Sceptimatic, I didn't say you were that guy, just more like.

Seriously though, I'm 100% right, because I have better logic.
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

« Reply #483 on: June 21, 2013, 06:58:38 PM »
Quote from: 29silhouette
So if a container is not fully inflated, but contains more than 1 psi difference than the surrounding atmosphere, then it won't burst.  Agreed?

There is "never" any difference, it's all immediately equalised. It's just a case of how much stress the walls of the container can resist an equal crush from all areas inside and out.
So a container with 15 psi in an environment of 0.01 psi will not burst because:
A. both the container and surrounding environment are now 15 psi.
or
B. both the container and surrounding environment are now 0.01 psi.

Which is it?  *edit- upon further reading I guess it's A.  Apparently enough air will come rushing in out of the .01 psi environment to create a 15 psi layer around the container.

Now about that truck tire.  If it's a 100 psi tire inflated to 100 psi, the atmosphere is 14.7 psi, and they're 'equalized' as you claim, what is the psi of each one?
100 psi acting on the tyre alone. The air pressure will act against the vessel that took it, so it's equalised all the time and only the make up of the rubber and wire can determine when it breaches, because it's being crushed from all angles until the rubber "walls" starts to compress to a point of thinning out and the weakest point will be breached. allowing the air back into the atmosphere.
So both the inside of the tire and the outside atmosphere are now at 100 psi?

What if I have a truck tire with 100 psi next to a car tire with 30 psi?  Let's say 1 cm away.

*edit- What keeps the 100 psi layer around one tire from spreading to the 30 psi layer around the other tire, or even the 14.7 psi area in between?

If there's air pressure inside the dome and vacuum outside, why doesn't it explode outward?
Because a dome is the strongest/ possible structure we can have to hold anything pressure wise.
The domes density is strongest at the bottom, just as a sky scrapers density is strongest at its foundation.

Domes and curved structures are able to sustain excessive pressure against the outer curve.  A dome would hold back pressure from the outside, but would be unable to hold in as much pressure.  Not to mention one made of ice.

Ever notice how most dams are curved toward the reservoir behind it or at least straight?  Ever see one curved outward from the water?

Hold on, I think I might have just had an epiphany in what Scepti is trying to say, if I'm wrong just tell me because I'm not trying to twist your words around.  It sounds like he is saying that a tire inflated to 100 psi has the same force both inside and outside acting on it.  That the local atmospheric pressure on the container, i.e. the air directly in contact with the outside of the container, has increased to counter the pressure inside the container.  Or maybe that the container expands and creates more surface area on the outside for the atmospheric pressure to work on.  Am I getting close to your thinking Scepti?
Thank you lord , finally someone with logic.
Absolutely correct Duck.
I wondered the other day if this is what you were thinking of. 

What happens when I drive away?  How does the 30 psi layer surrounding my tire keep up?
« Last Edit: June 21, 2013, 07:20:55 PM by 29silhouette »

« Reply #484 on: June 22, 2013, 09:52:26 AM »
Something else for FE to cry "Fake ! It's probably just a small scale model used in some science fiction movie and photoshopped against a background ! "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Bathyscaphe_Trieste.jpg
It doesn't matter what the sub is. It didn't go to the trench. It's impossible. We are talking 7 miles of deep ocean. ::)

You know, for someone who is so opposed to appeals to ridicule, you do love to ridicule others yourself.

It went 7 miles deep? Ridiculous! It can't be true.

Rockets working in a vacuum? Ridiculous! It can't be true.

You just tend to slap "impossible" stickers at completely arbitrary things, without actually knowing whether they're possible or not.

?

Puttah

« Reply #485 on: June 22, 2013, 10:14:35 AM »
Scepti, you have no problem with submarines going to shallower depths, right? Well, at which point does it become ridiculous? If the deepest trenches were 1 mile deep, would it still be impossible? What if they were 100ft deep?

This is why numbers are so powerful. They quantize the world, and it's a good thing because qualitative terms such as "very deep" can only go so far.
Scepti, this idiocy needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. You are making a mockery of this fine forum with your poor trolling. You are a complete disgrace.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #486 on: June 22, 2013, 04:51:22 PM »
Please do.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

?

Puttah

« Reply #487 on: June 22, 2013, 08:42:04 PM »
I don't discount numbers.
I only discount the numbers given out for space science and magical stuff and the way they are made to baffle the hell out of ordinary people.
It's the reason why I bring people down to the simple level but I have to drag them down screaming because their minds cannot contemplate simplistic logic, which is required to at least understand what everything is about.

Can electrical engineering and computer science be brought down to the simple level? These are just two topics that you don't believe are a part of the indoctrinated mainstream science. Can you describe these simply? No? Then why do you expect every physical phenomenon needs to have a simple answer?

To know why a sub cannot go to massive depths you need to know why there is sand on the beaches.
Sound crazy?
If it does, then I will stop right here.
Sure, but you've used a qualitative term once again. For someone that doesn't discount numbers, you sure seem to avoid them at all costs.
Scepti, this idiocy needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. You are making a mockery of this fine forum with your poor trolling. You are a complete disgrace.

?

Puttah

« Reply #488 on: June 23, 2013, 08:21:30 AM »
I only discount the numbers given out for space science and magical stuff and the way they are made to baffle the hell out of ordinary people.
It's the reason why I bring people down to the simple level but I have to drag them down screaming because their minds cannot contemplate simplistic logic, which is required to at least understand what everything is about.

Can electrical engineering and computer science be brought down to the simple level? These are just two topics that you don't believe are a part of the indoctrinated mainstream science. Can you describe these simply? No? Then why do you expect every physical phenomenon needs to have a simple answer?

To know why a sub cannot go to massive depths you need to know why there is sand on the beaches.
Sound crazy?
Sure, but you've used a qualitative term once again. For someone that doesn't discount numbers, you sure seem to avoid them at all costs.
To understand how things work, we don't need equations and numbers.
To make them work to our needs, efficiently and safely...that's when we need calculations.

Your claim was that submarines can't survive in the trenches based on nothing other than it being the deepest part of the oceans. So a natural question is, at what point do submarines fail? To understand how this works and to answer it, you need equations and numbers. You have provided neither which is evident since you ignored my hypothetical scenario of the ocean floor being shallower.

?

Puttah

« Reply #489 on: June 23, 2013, 08:40:36 AM »
Puttah:

Use your own common sense. I'm sure you can figure out why a sub cannot go to those depths. If not, then just carry on believing in fantasy.
I would have thought finding the reality and truth would be far better than simply asking me to provide you with calculation, when you can clearly do that yourself.
If you believe a sub can go to that depth after seeing the data on it and what was used then carry on, because I nor anyone else will convince you otherwise.

I'm sorry, but my common sense alone can't figure out whether a very sturdy metallic tank can withstand very large pressures. Your common sense is obviously superior to mine.

« Reply #490 on: June 23, 2013, 12:24:07 PM »
Either use your common sense or go with their silly figures. The choice is entirely yours.

Pressure at the bottom of the Mariana Trench is almost 16,000 psi. Seems very high, until you check out industrial pressure containers and valves, which are designed to withstand pressures way above 150,000 psi (i.e. nearly ten times as much as at the bottom of the Mariana Trench).

Proves that human engineering can produce devices that could withstand the pressure at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, rather easily. This is as common sense as it can get.
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 12:27:55 PM by icanbeanything »

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #491 on: June 23, 2013, 06:00:28 PM »
Puttah:

Use your own common sense. I'm sure you can figure out why a sub cannot go to those depths. If not, then just carry on believing in fantasy.
I would have thought finding the reality and truth would be far better than simply asking me to provide you with calculation, when you can clearly do that yourself.
If you believe a sub can go to that depth after seeing the data on it and what was used then carry on, because I nor anyone else will convince you otherwise.

I'm sorry, but my common sense alone can't figure out whether a very sturdy metallic tank can withstand very large pressures. Your common sense is obviously superior to mine.

In the days of wooden ships, some people's "common sense" said that iron ships wouldn't float and that iron ships would sink because their "common sense couldn't figure it out . "

icanbeanything Neither, You , I , nor anyone else is ever going to convince sceptimatic otherwise of anything else.  :D Might as well give it up as a lost cause.  :'(
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 06:11:21 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #492 on: June 23, 2013, 07:00:19 PM »

Sound crazy?
To understand how things work, we don't need equations and numbers.
To make them work to our needs, efficiently and safely...that's when we need calculations.

My studies in electrical engineering and electronics were at the elementary level.......But.....  I surely do wish that  those tyrants, (my instructors, that is  >:( ) , had known that equations  and numbers weren't needed on the tests and final exams in those subjects. It would have been a lot easier to pass them !   ;D

Sceptimatic You can probably mark me down as a lot denser than you, but I want to know how in the world can you get calculations without equations and numbers ?  ??? Oh, sorry about that !!!! Of course !!!! You don't need equations and numbers to get calculations in the Flat Earth World. Common sense would tell you that.

P.S. Is PBS on the Conspiracy list ? If not, put them on it . They have some "Space Flight"  programs coming on this week.  Better add Ohm and Kirchoff from my EE studies, too  They made those silly "Ohm's Law" and "Kirchoff's Law." .....Among with a lot of other silly laws by other silly scientists......
« Last Edit: June 23, 2013, 08:48:34 PM by Googleotomy »
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

« Reply #493 on: June 24, 2013, 02:15:09 AM »
Well said. Symetrically, you admit that you can't say "it cannot work" without the necessary calculations. Please can you share them ?

« Reply #494 on: June 24, 2013, 03:38:54 AM »
Still avoiding the answer...Please share your calculations that show that for example Mr Piccard's "Trieste" cannot go to -10000m

?

Puttah

« Reply #495 on: June 24, 2013, 04:00:49 AM »
I said: "you do not need calculations to figure out the concept of the way something works", that doesn't mean you can simply build something and have it work, without the necessary calculations to make sure everything marries up.

Still avoiding the answer...Please share your calculations that show that for example Mr Piccard's "Trieste" cannot go to -10000m
I don't need calculations to know bull crap when I see it.

Hahaha oh the irony!

Maybe something was lost many years ago in that little head of yours.

« Reply #496 on: June 24, 2013, 04:01:38 AM »
Your opinion is irrelevant. You are debating here, trying to convince other people, hopefully giving some factual elements. Explanations like "I'm sure", "I'm right" or "believe me" are not facts. Some calculations are fine.
Basically the same I asked for few pages before.
« Last Edit: June 24, 2013, 04:13:00 AM by Antonio »

« Reply #497 on: June 24, 2013, 04:02:18 AM »

I guess you completely skipped my comment:

Pressure at the bottom of the Mariana Trench is almost 16,000 psi. Seems very high, until you check out industrial pressure containers and valves, which are designed to withstand pressures way above 150,000 psi (i.e. nearly ten times as much as at the bottom of the Mariana Trench).

Proves that human engineering can produce devices that could withstand the pressure at the bottom of the Mariana Trench, rather easily. This is as common sense as it can get.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #498 on: June 24, 2013, 11:07:10 AM »
Sceptimatic, your approach to scientific debate seems to be "I've made up my mind.  Don't try to confuse me with the facts."
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #499 on: June 25, 2013, 06:35:06 PM »
Just a few more things to clear up if you'd be so kind.

Why won't 100 psi of pressure against the side of the tire disperse into the surrounding 14.7 psi environment?  The tire expanded slightly and stopped, so how does the air against the outside continue to remain at 100 psi with no physical barrier between it and the 14.7 psi environment?

Since you claim it's the equalized air pressure on each side hammering on the container wall that causes it to fail, what if I have a container with 7psi in a 1 psi environment?  That's only 7 psi.  I have plastic bottles in my kitchen containing 14.7 psi in 14.7 psi environment.  14.7 psi of fuming mad air molecules in hulk mode running head-first into the walls of a mere plastic coke bottle.   Why hasn't it burst open by now?

If air reaches the top of the dome and freezes, that means there is still a gas state up there, which means there's air pressure.  If the ice falls as snow, then more air is coming up to replace it.  If it freezes to the dome, and has been doing so for the last million or more years, how much ice is there by now?

« Reply #500 on: June 26, 2013, 01:26:57 AM »
You "elaborated" a lot here. Now it's time to get back to reality. Please give some numerical answers to my previous questions, or admit that you don't know how to calculate the results, which is fine too.
In that case, give some results of real life experiments. You may then elaborate some theories.

?

Puttah

« Reply #501 on: June 26, 2013, 01:51:47 AM »
you have "compressed" the molecules even more, into a smaller space but in doing so, you have "robbed" the atmosphere outside of 85.3 psi.
wtf? I thought the atmosphere only had 14.7 psi to spare. I hope no one fills their tyres and steals all my oxygen  >:(

Seriously, your explanations are as simple minded as saying that as a train travelling at 50mph ploughs into a stationary car that was sitting on the tracks, since the car is now moving with the train at 50mph, it has robbed the train of 50mph...

I won't even bother with the rest of your post because it's probably also dumb crackpottery. You need to learn some actual science before you can even think you have the know-how to develop your own alternate theories.

mathsman

• one of the lads
« Reply #502 on: June 26, 2013, 02:29:39 AM »

When you take 100 psi from the environment and cram it into a tyre, you immediately expand that tyre.
The reason the tyre expands is because you have "compressed" the molecules even more, into a smaller space but in doing so, you have "robbed" the atmosphere outside of 85.3 psi. The second you compress the molecules into the tyre, the air outside exerts more molecules onto the outside surface of the tire because it's replacing what you stole and has to equalise the pressure difference and it does so, by cramming into the tyre which creates and "equal" force against the outside rubber wall and the inside rubber wall, which is what you see as a stretch and the more air you put in, the more the outside molecules cram onto the outside wall until the tyre wall becomes too weak with stretching and explodes at it's weakest point.
I know you think that air pressure is no big deal because, after all..you can wave your arms about and do anything in this 14.7 psi environment so why is it so special.
The only way you will ever find out how special and powerful it is, is to go against it.
If you are still confused on this, I'll explain more if you are prepared to think clearly on it.

Atmospheric pressure at sea level in a given place is pretty constant. To change the pressure to any meaningful degree you would have to remove vast amounts of the atmosphere. The volume of air you are discussing here wouldn't make one iota of difference to the atmospheric pressure.

Atmospheric pressure on tyre before inflation: 1 atmosphere.
Atmospheric pressure on tyre after inflation : 1 atmosphere.

mathsman

• one of the lads
« Reply #503 on: June 26, 2013, 02:39:52 AM »

When you take 100 psi from the environment and cram it into a tyre, you immediately expand that tyre.
The reason the tyre expands is because you have "compressed" the molecules even more, into a smaller space but in doing so, you have "robbed" the atmosphere outside of 85.3 psi. The second you compress the molecules into the tyre, the air outside exerts more molecules onto the outside surface of the tire because it's replacing what you stole and has to equalise the pressure difference and it does so, by cramming into the tyre which creates and "equal" force against the outside rubber wall and the inside rubber wall, which is what you see as a stretch and the more air you put in, the more the outside molecules cram onto the outside wall until the tyre wall becomes too weak with stretching and explodes at it's weakest point.
I know you think that air pressure is no big deal because, after all..you can wave your arms about and do anything in this 14.7 psi environment so why is it so special.
The only way you will ever find out how special and powerful it is, is to go against it.
If you are still confused on this, I'll explain more if you are prepared to think clearly on it.

Atmospheric pressure at sea level in a given place is pretty constant. To change the pressure to any meaningful degree you would have to remove vast amounts of the atmosphere. The volume of air you are discussing here wouldn't make one iota of difference to the atmospheric pressure.

Incorrect.

You clearly have no idea how pressure is calculated.

mathsman

• one of the lads
« Reply #504 on: June 26, 2013, 02:42:09 AM »

Incorrect.

You clearly have no idea how it works.
Your idea of how it works is something you dreamed up.

mathsman

• one of the lads
« Reply #505 on: June 26, 2013, 03:04:21 AM »

Incorrect.

You clearly have no idea how it works.
Your idea of how it works is something you dreamed up.
The power of thought solves puzzles.

Untested thought isn't worth a heap of parsnips. Your approach to atmospheric pressure is equivalent to saying that the salinity of the Pacific Ocean will be markedly affected if you were to throw a bucket of fresh water into it.

« Reply #506 on: June 26, 2013, 03:21:17 AM »
You "elaborated" a lot here. Now it's time to get back to reality. Please give some numerical answers to my previous questions, or admit that you don't know how to calculate the results, which is fine too.
In that case, give some results of real life experiments. You may then elaborate some theories.
All I ever see you type, is the same old crap, trying to tell me to give calculations for this and that. You calculate it...and if you don't want to then just stay out of the conversation with me if this is all you can do, because you don't impress me and joining in with your fellow rotating earth indocs doesn't earn you brownie points.
Come back with similar crap again and you will be binned, your choice.
Cool down a bit...I don't care to impress you.
You are claiming some extraordinary theories. I know how to calculate with mainstream science, I'm just asking you to calculate following your theories, as they greatly differ. It's just plainly legitimate, and don't see something weird here. You are avoiding the answer time after time. These are some very basic calculations, and will nail everybody if they succeed. So where is the problem?

Remember that ?
So you haven't tested it and just say , "they do"...
Ok, I suppose your participation in this thread should be over now as you have it all worked out...see yeah. ;)
You seem to have some double standard. You tell others to do experiments, but for you, they are "the same old crap". Well....

« Reply #507 on: June 26, 2013, 04:06:59 AM »
Scepti, you still haven't given a reaction to my post about industrial pressure containers. Do you not think those components are really as strong as they are rated? Because that would mean a lot of non-functioning industrial equipment. Do you not think that with such engineering, one could easily build a container that has no trouble sitting at the bottom of the ocean without imploding?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #508 on: June 26, 2013, 05:33:27 AM »
I really wish that you would learn the difference between pressure and volume.  They are related, but they are not the same thing.  For one thing, you can't "rob" 100 psi from a 14.7 psi environment.  You can, however, take a certain volume of air at 14.7 psi and cram it into a smaller volume, thereby compressing it to 100 psi.

You can also cram quite a lot of air into a metal cylinder without expanding the cylinder.  Go to any welding supply store and ask them just how many psi some of their cylinders can handle without expanding or rupturing.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #509 on: June 26, 2013, 06:36:19 AM »
You rob 85.3 psi from the atmosphere and compress it into the tyre, do you understand?
Nobody will understand, as you cannot compress 85.3 psi. Plain, direct and simple.