Space Flight

• 870 Replies

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: Space Flight
« Reply #150 on: June 05, 2013, 09:10:02 AM »
I know that I'll probably regret this, but here goes.

Sceptimatic, I think understand your objection to rockets working in a vacuum.  You claim that the vacuum of space will suck out all of the rocket's exhaust gasses before they can do any work.  Well, that's true, up to a point.  Here is a simple experiment that you can try at home. 

Let's look at a typical kitchen funnel.  It has a wide end where stuff goes in and a skinny end where stuff comes out, right?  Well, let us take that funnel to the kitchen sink and start pouring water into the funnel.  If we start the water slowly, you will notice that it drains out of the skinny end just as fast as it pours into the big end.  This is just like the vacuum of space sucking the exhaust gasses out of a rocket engine that is only burning a little bit of fuel and oxidizer at a time. 

Now let us turn up the water at the sink. You will notice that after a certain point, the water going into the big end faster than the water can come out of the skinny end.  In the same way, if you burn enough fuel and oxidizer fast enough, the exhaust gasses build up in the rocket's combustion chamber faster than the vacuum of space can suck them out of the little hole in the combustion chamber. 

Basically, it all comes down to pressure.  In the same way that pressure can build up in a funnel or a water hose with a nozzle, gas pressure can build up in a rocket engine's combustion chamber. 

I realize that this is probably a waste of time, but I am an eternal optimist and hold out some faint hope that this funnel analogy will help you understand rockets a little better.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

« Reply #151 on: June 05, 2013, 09:14:31 AM »
I wrote a lot about pressure differential to him a few pages back, but I never got a response regarding it. I assume he just disregarded it, if he even read it. You just can't trust a scientist...

« Reply #152 on: June 05, 2013, 09:34:48 AM »
I wrote a lot about pressure differential to him a few pages back, but I never got a response regarding it. I assume he just disregarded it, if he even read it. You just can't trust a scientist...
Oh, scientists can be trusted , just not trusted to always tell it how it should be, which may or may not be their fault, as my placebo post illustrates.

You see, it's not only students than can be duped...those that teach them were once students who were taught what they, themselves were taught and so on  and so on.

How is it duping when I'm doing my own experiment with propulsion in a vacuum? It's right in front of me, I'm doing everything. And you can, too:

1. I'm never going to see a rocket go into space.
2. Rockets do not work in a vacuum.

1. You've seen rockets go into space, you just consider them fake.
2. Now this is something you can see yourself much easier, since a vacuum is achievable right here. Which is why I suggested the balloon experiment. You could, actually, see for yourself how a rocket works in a vacuum, right in front of you.

« Reply #153 on: June 05, 2013, 09:56:28 AM »
A bigger vacuum chamber, which you can find plenty of, can have a volume of around a cubic meter. The gas in a pocket-sized, uninflated balloon is no more than 50 mL. That gas, if it comes out of the balloon and fills the chamber, will still leave it in a near-vacuum state (I won't post calculations). But nevertheless, you'll be seeing the balloon fly first, before its gas left it.

And what I did, I have said already in a post but I guess you didn't consider it much, was laser propulsion. High powered laser in a vacuum, attempt to measure the thrust it produces. Not unile a rocket. If a laser rocket works in a vacuum, you can be sure a liquid fuel rocket works too.

As a sidenote, again, I already said that outer space doesn't have zero pressure. There is some, though not much. We can create much, much more perfect vacuum in a vacuum chamber.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 09:58:24 AM by icanbeanything »

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #154 on: June 05, 2013, 09:57:04 AM »
How is it duping when I'm doing my own experiment with propulsion in a vacuum? It's right in front of me, I'm doing everything. And you can, too:
Quote from: sceptimatic
So what are you doing exactly that proves rockets work in a vacuum. Just explain it to me.

This.

One example would be measuring the thrust generated by a special laser, testing for laser propulsion. Experiment done in a vacuum. You turn on the laser, the beam comes out one end, and it pushes the device the other way, with a very small force that I had to measure.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:17:24 AM by Rama Set »
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #155 on: June 05, 2013, 10:14:18 AM »

Sceptimatic, I think understand your objection to rockets working in a vacuum.  You claim that the vacuum of space will suck out all of the rocket's exhaust gasses before they can do any work.  Well, that's true, up to a point.  Here is a simple experiment that you can try at home. 

Let's look at a typical kitchen funnel.  It has a wide end where stuff goes in and a skinny end where stuff comes out, right?  Well, let us take that funnel to the kitchen sink and start pouring water into the funnel.  If we start the water slowly, you will notice that it drains out of the skinny end just as fast as it pours into the big end.  This is just like the vacuum of space sucking the exhaust gasses out of a rocket engine that is only burning a little bit of fuel and oxidizer at a time. 

Now let us turn up the water at the sink. You will notice that after a certain point, the water going into the big end faster than the water can come out of the skinny end.  In the same way, if you burn enough fuel and oxidizer fast enough, the exhaust gasses build up in the rocket's combustion chamber faster than the vacuum of space can suck them out of the little hole in the combustion chamber. 

Basically, it all comes down to pressure.  In the same way that pressure can build up in a funnel or a water hose with a nozzle, gas pressure can build up in a rocket engine's combustion chamber. 

I realize that this is probably a waste of time, but I am an eternal optimist and hold out some faint hope that this funnel analogy will help you understand rockets a little better.
With all due respect Marko, you have your fuel backside first...can you see what I mean?
No, I don't.  Please explain.  Also, please understand that there is a difference between fuel and exhaust gasses.  The fuel doesn't do the work, the expanding gasses created when the fuel burns does the work.

Also, ponder this.
The fuel in the combustion chamber has no time to expand, because for it to combust, it must have an outlet.... you know, just like a car engine, where fuel is sprayed into the piston area and ignites, pushing the piston down, aided by air coming into it, which is a key point here, because the minute...or should I say the millisecond that fuel and air exposes itself to the vacuum, that's it, game over.
Okay, so you don't understand how internal combustion engines work either.  Got it.

In a 4 stroke internal combustion engine, both the intake and exhaust valves are closed when the spark plug ignites the fuel/air mix in the combustion chamber (does the term "compression ratio" mean anything to you?).  There is no air coming in to aid in pushing the piston down.  In fact, the spark plug typically fires just before the piston hits top dead center because it take some time for the fuel/air mix to burn and generate the exhaust gasses to push the piston down.

In the same way, it takes time for the fuel/oxidizer mix in a rocket's combustion chamber to burn and it takes time for the vacuum of space to suck those gasses out.  It's just a matter of being able to burn the fuel/oxidizer mix and generate gas pressure faster than the vacuum of space can suck those gasses out so that those gasses are actually under tremendous pressure as they leave the combustion chamber. 
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:19:43 AM by markjo »

« Reply #156 on: June 05, 2013, 10:18:29 AM »
If you don;t mind can you draw me a little diagram of what you actually did with this laser as I am seriously stuck here with this. Basically I cannot picture what you mean.

I won't go into the details because it gets complicated fast, but the basic idea to picture is this:

You take a laser, you turn it on, and you have a device that measures how hard the laser's pushing the opposite way while it's on. It doesn't really need to be in a vacuum, but I had to put in in one because the amount of force generated is so minuscule that any air movement would throw off the measurement. Perfectly still air is impossible to do even in a lab. A vacuum is easy.

So the basic picture is a laser turned on, and put on a scale that measures how hard it is pushing on it. Like a very weak rocket, get it?

the minute...or should I say the millisecond that fuel and air exposes itself to the vacuum, that's it, game over.

A millisecond is an eternity in engineering applications. I just had a visit today to check out a pulse laser that works in 100 femtosecond pulses with a 60 MHz frequency. So, each pulse lasted 100 femtoseconds and was separated by 12 nanoseconds from the previous pulse.

Imagine that pulse lasted one second. In that case, the time between the pulses would've been a whole year. Yet, 60 million of those pulses were happening every second. And it's all done by electronics that synchronize everything.

So really, a millisecond is an eternity in such applications. Fuel is much slower than light, it's really not hard to ignite even when the outlet is a vacuum.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 10:22:48 AM by icanbeanything »

?

Shmeggley

• Eppur si muove!
« Reply #157 on: June 05, 2013, 10:25:13 AM »
Pardon me if this has been brought up before, I tried to go back and check but this thread is getting longer by the minute.

Anyway, Sceptimatic, there's a problem I see with how your rocket theory works. You are claiming that the rocket exhaust needs air or something to push against, correct?

If this is true, how is force transferred to the rocket at all? The particles have already exited the rocket nozzle, they hit the air, or the ground, etc, then what? How does a particle that's no longer in contact with the rocket in any way somehow push the rocket along?
Giess what? I am a tin foil hat conspiracy lunatic who knows nothing... See what I'm getting at here?

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #158 on: June 05, 2013, 10:32:24 AM »
" class="bbc_link" target="_blank" rel="noopener noreferrer">

There you go,  rocket engine in a vacuum.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

« Reply #159 on: June 05, 2013, 10:57:39 AM »

Posted just that a few pages back... he didn't believe there was a vacuum there.

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #160 on: June 05, 2013, 11:00:17 AM »

Posted just that a few pages back... he didn't believe there was a vacuum there.

Oh well,  worth a shot to do his inane drivel.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #161 on: June 05, 2013, 11:02:01 AM »

Of course not, that would be a disaster for him.  Notice how anyone who explains that they have first hand experience countermanding what he describes is either a liar, or he forgets that they have spoken. Its astounding.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

« Reply #162 on: June 05, 2013, 11:06:26 AM »

Of course not, that would be a disaster for him.  Notice how anyone who explains that they have first hand experience countermanding what he describes is either a liar, or he forgets that they have spoken. Its astounding.

No, it's not. I kind of understand it. He simply doesn't want to risk even the slightest possibility of somehow finding out he's wrong.

You see, you would think it would be pretty cool for Scepti to re-convert, but I don't think it'd feel good for him.

« Reply #163 on: June 05, 2013, 12:00:09 PM »
Scepti, it's just a laser. You turn on the laser, and because light is coming out one end, it's pushing the laser the other end. This happens in every laser, it's just that it's a very very very weak effect.

I used a pretty powerful laser in a vacuum chamber so I could measure the force it pushed with.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:02:24 PM by icanbeanything »

« Reply #164 on: June 05, 2013, 12:04:57 PM »
I can't re-convert to a pack of lies, can I.
Flat earth is the way forward and it's you and others that need to re-evaluate to be fair.

I didn't say I expected you to, nor did I say that you want to. I simply said that if it happened, it probably wouldn't be a fun experience to you.

« Reply #165 on: June 05, 2013, 12:06:03 PM »
Scepti, it's just a laser. You turn on the laser, and because light is coming out one end, it's pushing the laser the other end. This happens in every laser, it's just that it's a very very very weak effect.

I used a pretty powerful laser in a vacuum chamber so I could measure the force it pushed with.
My eye rolling was for your feeble attempt at trying to prove a rocket works in a vacuum with a bloody laser man.lol

The laser works like a rocket. Something is coming out one end, and it's pushing the object the other way. For the laser it's light. I did the experiment, in a vacuum.

You know, for someone so opposed to appeals to ridicule, you really like to appeal to ridicule yourself.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:16:13 PM by icanbeanything »

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #166 on: June 05, 2013, 12:22:16 PM »

With all due respect Marko, you have your fuel backside first...can you see what I mean?
No, I don't.  Please explain.  Also, please understand that there is a difference between fuel and exhaust gasses.  The fuel doesn't do the work, the expanding gasses created when the fuel burns does the work.
Yes. They expand into the atmosphere.
The atmosphere is considered to extend several thousand miles into space.  So what's the difference between the 1000 psi gasses expanding into 14 psi atmosphere near sea level or 1000 psi gasses expanding into a .0000001 psi near vacuum 100 miles up?

Also, ponder this.
The fuel in the combustion chamber has no time to expand, because for it to combust, it must have an outlet.... you know, just like a car engine, where fuel is sprayed into the piston area and ignites, pushing the piston down, aided by air coming into it, which is a key point here, because the minute...or should I say the millisecond that fuel and air exposes itself to the vacuum, that's it, game over.
Okay, so you don't understand how internal combustion engines work either.  Got it.
Misconstruing what I said, I see. I know it's a closed unit on combustion but it takes "air" and "fuel" into it , is what I meant.
I'm not psychic.  Say what you mean and mean what you say.

Rocket engines take in air and fuel just like internal combustion engines.  The main difference is that rockets burn the fuel/air mix continuously rather than in a 4 stage cycle.

mathsman

• one of the lads
« Reply #167 on: June 05, 2013, 12:47:04 PM »

You may also want to read http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rocket_engine

And you might want to read the opening few sentences fron the wikipedia entry on the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation:

'The Tsiolkovsky rocket equation, or ideal rocket equation, describes the motion of vehicles that follow the basic principle of a rocket: a device that can apply acceleration to itself (a thrust) by expelling part of its mass with high speed and move due to the conservation of momentum. '

My emphasis.

1: I had just about got Sceptimatic to accept that expanding gases in a vacuum can create motion, thanks for derailing that.
2: By all means why don't you explain how gases coming out of the back of a rocket can create motion in the opposite direction without exerting any force on the rocket.

How difficult is it to understand conservation of momentum? The gases expelled have a certain mass and are expelled at high speed. This means they have a momentum. The rocket and its remaining fuel also have a mass and must move at a speed in the opposite direction so that they have a momentum equal in magnitude but opposite in direction and therefore opposite in sign to the momentum of the gases. This maintains the total momentum of the system.
Mass of gases x speed of gases = mass of rocket x speed of rocket. This is how rockets work in a vacuum.
By all means don't bother to learn about conservation of momentum.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 12:48:58 PM by mathsman »

« Reply #168 on: June 05, 2013, 02:49:09 PM »

And you might want to read the opening few sentences fron the wikipedia entry on the Tsiolkovsky rocket equation:

'The Tsiolkovsky rocket equation, or ideal rocket equation, describes the motion of vehicles that follow the basic principle of a rocket: a device that can apply acceleration to itself (a thrust) by expelling part of its mass with high speed and move due to the conservation of momentum. '

My emphasis.

1: I had just about got Sceptimatic to accept that expanding gases in a vacuum can create motion, thanks for derailing that.
2: By all means why don't you explain how gases coming out of the back of a rocket can create motion in the opposite direction without exerting any force on the rocket.

How difficult is it to understand conservation of momentum? The gases expelled have a certain mass and are expelled at high speed. This means they have a momentum. The rocket and its remaining fuel also have a mass and must move at a speed in the opposite direction so that they have a momentum equal in magnitude but opposite in direction and therefore opposite in sign to the momentum of the gases. This maintains the total momentum of the system.
Mass of gases x speed of gases = mass of rocket x speed of rocket. This is how rockets work in a vacuum.
How does a rocket force the gases out at high speed?

http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/education/rocket/TRCRocket/rocket_principles.html
I'd like to agree with you but then we'd both be wrong!

« Reply #169 on: June 05, 2013, 03:43:55 PM »
Do you sometimes read the links you are given or are you too dumb?

Your basic understanding of basic physics is close to nil. Please read, study, think!

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #170 on: June 05, 2013, 05:26:50 PM »
Something else: try stepping off a small boat onto a jetty without mooring the boat or holding onto anything. Typically, the boat will be pushed out from under you and you will fall into the water. Why is this? Going by your logic, the water, being denser than air, should provide more resistance to the movement of the boat than the air does to the movement of your body, so the boat should stay put while you step onto the dock. Why doesn't it?
stepping off a boat onto a jetty will only push the boat away once you create a force which comes from your imbalance, meaning one foot is on the boat and the other is about to hit the jetty, meaning you are leaning forward so naturally you kick your foot back against the boat, it's just action/reaction, so what.

What's this got to do with rockets working in a vacuum?

Action/reaction, Newton's 3rd law, which is one way to explain how rockets work. Picture the rocket as the boat, and the person stepping off as the exhaust gasses. The person moves one direction, the boat moves the other; the exhaust gasses move one direction, the rocket moves the other. Do you get it yet?
Wait just one cotton picking minute here.

You are explaining, now, how rockets actually do work...why have you changed your mind?

As the person steps off the boat, their foot pushes back on the boat. This does two things: it pushes the person forward toward the jetty, and it pushes the boat back away from the jetty. As you said, action/reaction. As a scientist would say, Newton's 3rd law (or conservation of momentum, since the two are very closely related).

A rocket follows the same principle. In order for the exhaust gasses to move away from the rocket, they must first push on the rocket, just like the person has to push on the boat with their foot in order to move toward the jetty. The direction of this push is determined by the exhaust nozzle, as the nozzle determines which way the gasses go when they leave.

To put this back in the context of the person on the boat, when they step off forward, the boat doesn't go left (or right), it goes straight back. Your rocket diagram would be like two people stepping off opposite sides of the boat at exactly the same time.

Please take note: at no point here have I said that the person (or the exhaust gasses) are pushing on anything else other than the boat (or rocket).

Does this help you at all?
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #171 on: June 05, 2013, 06:55:06 PM »
A rocket burns it's fuel...that's all it does and that burned fuel is pushed against the atmosphere, expanded into it and the atmosphere fights back. It's as simple as that.
Actually, there is a little more to it than that.  A rocket burns fuel inside a combustion chamber.  When that fuel burns, it creates gasses that expand quite vigorously.  As those gasses expand, they are looking for some place to go.  Those gasses find a small hole in the combustion chamber where they find a vacuum on the other side that wants to suck out those gasses.  But the hole is so small and the rocket is burning so much fuel so fast that the gasses expand so fast the vacuum can't suck the gasses out fast enough.  So, what do you think happens?  That's right, since gasses are expanding faster than the vacuum of space can suck them out, pressure builds up within the combustion chamber.  This pressure inside the combustion chamber is the key element to making rocket engines work in a vacuum.  If you can't accept this simple principle, then there is no use in continuing this discussion.

hoppy

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #172 on: June 05, 2013, 07:36:56 PM »
Here is someone else who seems to have thought the whole "rockets can't work in a vacuum" through a little better than Sceptimatic.  He's still wrong, but at least he tries to give specific reasons.
http://cluesforum.info/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=1632&sid=859ccbe6e2bec4c0fa4419addac7bd92
Excellent post markjo. I tried looking for info about rockets not working in space and found nothing. This is very interesting reading.

At this point we have a rocket with high-pressure gas generated from liquid fuel that can release the gas into a vacuum but has no way to produce a force while doing so. As soon as the nozzle is opened the gasses escape without doing any work. Therefore the 3rd Law is rendered useless.

As it turns out NASA does not fall into the 3rd Law trap (nor does it go around correcting all the sites who do) instead claiming that thrust of a space rocket is generated using what I call The Wrong Formula, an egregious farce of Newton's 2nd law which I will address in a later next post.

To recap: Newton’s 3rd Law, the number one response on the Internet to how a rocket generates thrust in space, is invalid in this context. NASA itself avoids using Newton’s 3rd Law as the reason why their rockets work so well in space choosing to use Newton’s 2nd Law instead. I will show in a later post why NASA’s use the 2nd Law is equally invalid and in fact a hideous misrepresentation of the laws of the laws of physics that would give a freshman college student a failing grade yet earns NASA an "A" thanks to its pretty pictures, dramatic story lines, and gutsy champions, the astronauts.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2013, 07:49:07 PM by hoppy »
God is real.                                         
http://www.scribd.com/doc/9665708/Flat-Earth-Bible-02-of-10-The-Flat-Earth

mathsman

• one of the lads
« Reply #173 on: June 06, 2013, 12:09:47 AM »

My emphasis.

How does a rocket force the gases out at high speed?

http://exploration.grc.nasa.gov/education/rocket/TRCRocket/rocket_principles.html

Sceptimatic made the claim that rockets can't work in a vacuum because they have nothing to push against. I patiently explained that rockets don't need anything to push against. The means by which the gases are expelled does not change the principle of the conservation of momentum. It's a bit like arguing that the laws of physics change because one car is powered by petrol and another is powered by diesel. You are looking at the engineering I'm looking at the physics.

mathsman

• one of the lads
« Reply #174 on: June 06, 2013, 03:34:14 AM »
Now because a rocket burns fuel with massive force that creates huge thrust..this is where the wide rocket nozzle comes in to move it's mass...because that rocket nozzle allows the burning gases to expand into a wide atmospheric area, meaning the atmosphere must create an equal force to push back against it, so basically your rocket is pushed up by the gases fighting against each other.

So now you know why rockets need atmosphere, you should have no problem understanding that rockets in space is an impossibility.

That's not how rockets work. They do not need an atmosphere. The rocket and its expelled fuel is a conservative system which maintains its momentum.

Don't worry this is the last time I will nag you on this. I wouldn't mind asking a favour though: Do you know of any properly qualified engineer who agrees with you and point me in his direction?

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #175 on: June 06, 2013, 04:25:33 AM »
Next time you're in your garden with the garden hose , you will be watering the garden and seeing a stream of water just coming out of the end of the hose.
No problem right?
Well that water coming out of the hose, is your rocket and fuel. The hose is your rocket and the water is the fuel coming out of your rocket.
We need to make that hose move though, so what can we do?
Well because the water is only coming out in a steady stream, it has little thrust so we need to create a barrier to make that hose move.

Whoa buddy, hang on there! You go on to say that putting your hand in front of the hose will increase the force pushing it back, but have you actually tried this? I know that turning up the flow will definitely increase the thrust, but I have never experienced an increase in thrust by putting my hand in front of the nozzle.

This would be worth setting up as an experiment, arranging the hose so that thrust with and without a hand in the way of the flow of water could be compared. Seeing as you brought it up, how would you like to do the experiment and let us know what you find?
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #176 on: June 06, 2013, 04:38:19 AM »
This would be worth setting up as an experiment, arranging the hose so that thrust with and without a hand in the way of the flow of water could be compared. Seeing as you brought it up, how would you like to do the experiment and let us know what you find?

It's easy enough, but you're asking Scepti to do an experiment...

« Reply #177 on: June 06, 2013, 04:47:07 AM »

It's easy enough, but you're asking Scepti to do an experiment...
I've done it and so have you and most others, so what's difficult about it.

You've actually checked that putting your hand in the jet of the hose actually pushes the hose more than if your hand wasn't there?

« Reply #178 on: June 06, 2013, 04:48:09 AM »
Think of riot police shooting a water cannon at a person.
The water cannon is the rocket and the water is the fuel and the rioter is the atmosphere.
The water gets aimed at the rioter but he won't back down and tries to stay upright and push against the water coming from the cannon right?

Now imagine that the police say, ok lads we need more thrust to knock this man back, so they turn up the water pressure...but as they do so, they are now met with the rioters accomplice, who stands behind him, so they turn up the pressure again, only to see another accomplice behind the second man and so on and so on and it becomes a fight until someone gives up, which would be the police as they run out of water.

Can you see how the atmosphere works against the rockets gases now?

That's all fine, except the presence of rioters does not push the water cannon the other way. So there's no rocket action there.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #179 on: June 06, 2013, 04:49:22 AM »
Next time you're in your garden with the garden hose , you will be watering the garden and seeing a stream of water just coming out of the end of the hose.
No problem right?
Well that water coming out of the hose, is your rocket and fuel. The hose is your rocket and the water is the fuel coming out of your rocket.
We need to make that hose move though, so what can we do?
Well because the water is only coming out in a steady stream, it has little thrust so we need to create a barrier to make that hose move.
[/quote

Whoa buddy, hang on there! You go on to say that putting your hand in front of the hose will increase the force pushing it back, but have you actually tried this?
I would imagine everyone who's used a hose has tried this but it will have had no meaning to just about all of them.
I know that turning up the flow will definitely increase the thrust, but I have never experienced an increase in thrust by putting my hand in front of the nozzle.
I never implied you were. I stated that your hand is a barrier and the closer you put your hand to the hose water coming out of the hose, then at some stage, the closer your hand gets, it will create a more stronger barrier against the water coming out and eventually creating a force against that water, so it creates a small force on your hand and also on the water, in which case, the hose is forced back the closer your hand gets. go and try it...I have.

Yeah, I still get a far more noticeable increase in thrust by turning up the pressure. To feel an increase by putting my hand in the way, I have to almost block the hose off with that hand to feel any difference.