Interview with Quo Magazine

• 19 Replies

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
Interview with Quo Magazine
« on: April 28, 2013, 06:10:47 PM »
http://www.quo.es/ser-humano/la-secta-de-la-tierra-plana

Earlier this year I did an interview with the Spanish magazine Quo, which I only just realised has since been published. I actually haven't translated it and therefore read it yet, so I don't know how it came out, but hopefully he was fairly down the line.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
Re: Interview with Quo Magazine
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2013, 06:16:25 PM »
Interesting choice.  They seem to have gone with the "Hubcap Earth" model.  I always thought that it never got the attention that it deserved.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2013, 06:19:33 PM »
I get the sense he just grabbed whatever visual interest he could find. I directed him to our Facebook page which has a few images, but I don't think that's on it. Could be wrong though.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

?

spoon

• Flat Earth Editor
  • ho ho ho
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2013, 06:21:51 PM »
ehh it hints at condecension, but for the most part it's just a run-of-the-mill explanation of FE.
I work nights are get the feeling of impennding doom for things most people take for granted.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2013, 06:24:32 PM »
ehh it hints at condecension, but for the most part it's just a run-of-the-mill explanation of FE.

Much as I expected, really. I'll bang it through Google Translate tomorrow if I get a chance.

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
  • Former President of Iraq
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2013, 06:28:21 PM »
I think it's a fairly decent take on the society.  And he didn't mention Ice Wall guards.  That's a relief.

Genius

• Professor of Geniustology
« Reply #6 on: April 29, 2013, 08:37:31 AM »
You've probably already translated it, but Google did it for me automatically, albeit not as well as I'd like, but for convenience sake:

Headquartered in London, the Flat Earth Society  has reopened to enroll new members. For now, this association is barely 400 members (including two Spanish). But who knows if I ever get to convince the remaining inhabitants of the planet that there is a conspiracy  to hide the earth, they say, not a sphere.

An organization without religious overtones
Michael N. Wilmore is peculiar VP institution. We have spoken with him, who, incidentally, declined offering us a photo saying: "Understand that I do not want to go down the street and point to me as the weird guy  who believes that the Earth is flat. " This Irish became interested in the theory in 2006. For the past few years is the vice president of the Company. The origin of this organization dates back to 1864, when Samuel B. Rowbotham (British inventor and writer) published a pamphlet entitled Zetética Astronomy: The Earth is not a globe . Under the pseudonym of Parallax, was the main proponent of the idea, but it was not until his death when his wife created the Universal Zetetic Society. However, it took until 1956 for Samuel Shenton created the Flat Earth Society as such.

Some faithful even consider that our planet has two moons
For over a century, the flat Earth theory had a religious origin. That was when, in 1956, Samuel Shenton decided to create the first modern society. His successor, Charles H. Johnson, held that line, but with its current president (Daniel Shenton, who has nothing to do with the above), desacralized the subject. "I personally," says Wilmore, "I'm an atheist, and the Society avoids the religious component." If I had to cite a test, his favorite is the "experiment Bedford" which concludes that, if the Earth is not flat, the surface of the sea would be concave.

Different schools
society members also are divided into two streams. The first argues that the Earth is a finite disk and travels in space accelerating upward, creating the illusion that there Newtonian gravity . The second holds that the earth is unlimited, but has a finite depth (like a funnel). This plan creates a bisector with our universe and causes a gravitational field.
Both agree, however, in that the Earth is surrounded by a circular ice continent, Antarctica, which prevents water from falling into the void. To this must be added the heterodox followers of the late Orlando Ferguson, who added that the planet has the structure of a lime squeezer to the square outside.

Two Spanish mathematicians have published a book arguing that the Earth is really the center of the universe

Of course, the flat Earth concept requires a new cosmology. The most widespread is that the planet's diameter is about 40,000 miles and has a circumference of about 126,000 km2. The Sun  and the Moon  are two disks located about 52 kilometers (although some believe that there are two moons) and stars are located more than 200 kilometers. And what we call "day" is not due to the Earth orbiting the Star King, but it moves in circles on the surface and is illuminating different areas in its path. It seems impossible to defend statements like that, but do not forget that two mathematicians, Juan Carlos Gorostizaga and Milenko Bernadic have published the book And yet it moves , which argue that the Earth is the center of the universe, and it is the Sun orbiting around it.

The conspiracy
But if the Earth is flat, why do we hide? The explanation is that there is a global conspiracy. According to Wilmore, this deserves a qualification. Claims to be a stretch to think that there is a cabal of scientists who meet to prevent the truth from coming out, "But I do believe that for some reason (academic, economic ...)

nobody dares to doubt that the Earth is round. He who dares to do so will be sentenced to the ridicule of their colleagues. "

Some go further and believe that even the architects of the space race are in garlic. The first addressed this debate was Charles K. Johnson, president of the organization when Neil Armstrong  walked on the moon. According to him, it is more difficult to forge a trip to our satellite image of the Earth to look around, so I opted for the latter. Sounds funny, but maybe someday the phrase of Homer Simpson - "also laughed at those who said that the earth was flat" - a reality.

Smooth mapping
maps the flat earth are wonderful. In 2011, the U.S. Library of Congress accepted as a gift one of the few existing copies of a world map drawn by Orlando Ferguson in 1893 (above). But the most famous is called map Volvia, in honor of its creator, Wilbur G. Volvia

The earth is round because the space man said so.

?

Thork

« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2013, 03:05:29 PM »
Some go further and believe that even the architects of the space race are in garlic.
wut?
« Last Edit: May 01, 2013, 03:07:38 PM by Thork »

Genius

« Reply #8 on: May 02, 2013, 08:50:44 AM »
Some go further and believe that even the architects of the space race are in garlic.
wut?

That's google for you.

« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2013, 06:01:44 PM »
very cool, thanks Willmore!

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #10 on: May 06, 2013, 04:51:18 AM »
wut?

You don't believe that?  That's half the reason I am here.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2013, 12:11:49 PM »
No, nobody here believes that model is accurate.

Genius

« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2013, 12:12:25 PM »
Interesting choice.  They seem to have gone with the "Hubcap Earth" model.  I always thought that it never got the attention that it deserved.

Is that how the flat earth should look like? Then how come there is water around Europe, North America and North Asia? Water always goes to the lowest point when not restricted by anything.

Magic, of course, don't be ridiculous.

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2013, 12:18:55 PM »

All flat earth models I have found so far are not accurate.
Hello!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2013, 03:51:49 PM »
Prof. Orlando Ferguson does:

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #15 on: May 07, 2013, 03:53:43 PM »
Has anyone posted that in the Information Repository?

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #16 on: May 07, 2013, 04:09:31 PM »
Probably.  I remember seeing it posted before.

« Reply #17 on: May 07, 2013, 07:48:38 PM »
Prof. Orlando Ferguson does:
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/thumb/1/13/Orlando-Ferguson-flat-earth-map_edit.jpg/800px-Orlando-Ferguson-flat-earth-map_edit.jpg

Interesting. I wasn't aware that Ferguson, who has been dead for more than 100 years, was "here".

Saddam Hussein

• Official Member
« Reply #18 on: May 07, 2013, 08:14:29 PM »
He's here in spirit.

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 05:18:49 AM »