I Have Several Questions

• 55 Replies
?

Roy

I Have Several Questions
« on: May 16, 2013, 05:34:35 PM »
Hey everyone! I just recently became aware that this organization existed and it left me scratching my head quite a bit. I have several questions, and hopefully you can clear some things up about your beliefs.

1. If the Earth is flat then why are the distances between locations in the southern hemisphere not much larger than they actually are? For instance, a flight from southern Chile to eastern Australia should be mush longer than it is on a spherical Earth.

2. What science is there to back up this claim? You can't just list one obscure, non-reviewed person with little to no credentials. The spherical model is endorsed by all of science and is paramount for a great deal of it.

3. What do scientists stand to gain from covering this up? Are they just doing it because it fits with their expectations? Why then, don't people new to astronomy or other branches of science speak up? Is this all just based on one huge conspiracy theory?

4. We have satellites in orbit and the ISS. You use cell phones, GPS or cable television; what sort of force, other than the gravity of our spherical Earth, allows this.

5. You like to use "empirical obsevation", but we know that the south pole isn't a giant wall of ice. I haven't been there, but you haven't been in orbit. What do you hope to get out of this? What's the endgame? Why bother with endorsing this theory?

Thanks in advance. I'm legitimately interested in your answers so I hope that this didn't come off as too antagonistic.
Graduate of The Ohio State University. Student of Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering and Political Science. True Skeptic, beer reviewer and amateur chef.

Junker

Re: I Have Several Questions
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2013, 05:43:00 PM »
Welcome.  I would first suggest that you do a bit more searching and go over the FAQ and the wiki, as all of these questions have been addressed.  If you can't find an answer or are looking for more information, myself and others are happy to help.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2013, 05:53:25 PM »
Hello Roy

I haven't been on this website for very long but I have learned one thing.:
Don't expect to get any answers from an FE that don't agree with FE Theory.

There are plenty of "Round Earthers" who will usually answer any serious questions you might have.

I really haven't figured out if the FE's are really serious about believing in a flat earth or if they just like to have fun with the rest of us de-bunking their weird theories.

For example:
Have you heard of "bendy light." ?
It depends on the "Beta" or "Bishop Constant" which has never been revealed and is said to not be of a constant value. ? (I don't have Greek Letters on my keyboard. The symbol for it is the Greek Letter "Beta" of course.)
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2013, 06:00:29 PM »
Hey everyone! I just recently became aware that this organization existed and it left me scratching my head quite a bit. I have several questions, and hopefully you can clear some things up about your beliefs.

1. If the Earth is flat then why are the distances between locations in the southern hemisphere not much larger than they actually are? For instance, a flight from southern Chile to eastern Australia should be mush longer than it is on a spherical Earth.

2. What science is there to back up this claim? You can't just list one obscure, non-reviewed person with little to no credentials. The spherical model is endorsed by all of science and is paramount for a great deal of it.

3. What do scientists stand to gain from covering this up? Are they just doing it because it fits with their expectations? Why then, don't people new to astronomy or other branches of science speak up? Is this all just based on one huge conspiracy theory?

4. We have satellites in orbit and the ISS. You use cell phones, GPS or cable television; what sort of force, other than the gravity of our spherical Earth, allows this.

5. You like to use "empirical obsevation", but we know that the south pole isn't a giant wall of ice. I haven't been there, but you haven't been in orbit. What do you hope to get out of this? What's the endgame? Why bother with endorsing this theory?

Thanks in advance. I'm legitimately interested in your answers so I hope that this didn't come off as too antagonistic.

I can answer 2 questions:

1. One of those Flat Earth Maps is  just  a common  Polar Projection of a globe with the North Pole as the center . Any attempt to draw a flat map from the globe  will result in distortions. For example, look at the size and shape of Australia. Also try flying or sailing in a straight line direction in any direction and you are going to run into the ice wall.

2. ?

3. ? Look up the thread as to who is included in the conspiracy.

4. FE does not believe in space flight, satellites or the ISS. FE believes that space flight is impossible and all the photos from NASA are fakes. The photos of the moon landing were made in Hollywood studios by professional actors rather than astronauts.

5. ?
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 06:07:27 PM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2013, 06:05:04 PM »
These are legitimate questions. Yes, some have already been asked before. Well, if you ask those who defend the RE (Round Earth) these questions went unanswered. If you ask the FE (Flath earth) defenders, they will say you will just have to search for it to find it.

For the gravity part however I can answer that the FE defenders have the theory of UA (Universal Accelerator). This is that the earth is constantly travelling up at a speed of 9,81 m/s squared, so it matches the force we observe as gravity. From a RE side, this does not yet fully explain why the gravitional pull is different at different locations. However now I give it a second thought, perhaps the dark energy that causes the UA is not equal over the earth's disc, so it causes some differentiated perceived gravity. (Gift for the flat earth defenders!). However, that is about it as far as the FET (Flat Earth Theory) could provide an alternative answer to what we perceive. For the rest of it, for example why the travel time on the southern hemisphere is no different....no answers.

To question 2. Well, I cannot understand that either. However, the FE defenders say that they are part of a conspiracy. How come no one has ever leaked news, or how come none of the amateur footage from high altitude balloons show anything different. I do not know. There is no proof on that matter, only the believe.

Question 3. No idea.

Question 4 I explained.

Question 5. This website is aimed to debate and to promote the FET.
Hello!

?

Mizuki

• Earth is NOT a Globe
« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2013, 06:38:24 PM »
Our beautiful Earth is flat.

But it's physical form does not matter really. What difference does it make?

But, for the record, it is flat.

Mizuki x
"Earth is a maximal sphere in a cyclical space and its surface therefore a total plane, the equator plane of the Cosmos. The (total) plane, as well as the straight line and space as a whole, is flat, without curvature yet closed, running back on itself."

?

Roy

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2013, 07:19:25 PM »
Welcome.  I would first suggest that you do a bit more searching and go over the FAQ and the wiki, as all of these questions have been addressed.  If you can't find an answer or are looking for more information, myself and others are happy to help.

Let's suppose that I couldn't find answers to some of my questions on the wiki. I'm especially interested in information about the distance between locations in the southern hemisphere and objects in orbit.
Graduate of The Ohio State University. Student of Aeronautical and Astronautical Engineering and Political Science. True Skeptic, beer reviewer and amateur chef.

?

darknavyseal

• Round Earth, for sure, maybe.
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2013, 07:41:22 PM »

That map is a general idea of what the Flat Earth would look like. It is not accurate.

~nothing is accurate in FE, but you didn't hear it from me. ;)

There is no reproducible science that is sound in logic to demonstrate a flat Earth. 99% of them disregard basic physics, or a complete lack of understanding of how science works. For instance, a chap in this forum said that since "float glass" is "perfectly" flat (glass made on liquid), the Earth must be flat. He refuses to realize that under such short measurements, a glass surface matching the curve of the Earth cannot be detected. Because of this, float glass is said to be a standard for "virtually flat" glass.

Yup. Conspiracy. 90%[citation need] of FE is based on Conspiracy.

Magic Universal Accelerator, conspiracy, and stratellites. None of which have been proven.

?

spoon

• Flat Earth Editor
  • ho ho ho
« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2013, 08:19:09 PM »
Hello, Roy. As you can see, round earthers swarm en masse towards any new arrival. I can assure you that most of what has been written in this thread thus far does not accurately represent FET. I will give a go at your questions.

1. As one would expect, skepticism is an abundant trait among those that believe in a flat earth. To answer your first question simply, I am skeptical: skeptical of the established distances, skeptical of the vailidity of RE maps, etc. This may seem irrational, but first answer this. What caused you to ask this question in the first place? Did you measure the continental distances in the southern hemisphere? Do you know without a doubt the exact distance between the eastmost and westmost points in Australia? Most likely, the answer is no. Yet you still raise this question. You raise it because you were told what those distances were. That does not necessarily make it true.

2. Many refer to the Bedford experiments, which you should be able to find without much trouble. Besides that, many endorse FET because the evidence in favor outweighs the evidence against. It's as simple as that. There are many threads that give specific evidence. If you type "unique proofs" into the search bar, I believe a good thread on the matter will pop up.

3. There are many differing opinions on the scale of the conspiracy. As a result, there are many different threads on this topic. I'm sure FEG has a couple on the first page.

4.Universal acceleration causes the illusion of "gravity". It is nearly as credible as the theory of gravity, as both are incomplete theories at this point. Essentially, UA was postulated under the assumption that the earth was planar. There is just as much known about the mechanism that causes UA as the mechanism that causes gravity in each theory.That is, very little. darknavyseal brings up stratellites. Basically, satellites within the atmoplane. Also, the LORAN towers are worth your time to read up on.

5. If you believe something to be true or just, that in itself is reason enough to endorse it.

I hope this helps.
I work nights are get the feeling of impennding doom for things most people take for granted.

Junker

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2013, 08:43:28 PM »

Let's suppose that I couldn't find answers to some of my questions on the wiki. I'm especially interested in information about the distance between locations in the southern hemisphere and objects in orbit.

I started to post a handful of threads, but the forum limits the amount of links I can post.  For your first request, try searching "flight time" and "flight plan."

For your 2nd question, can you be more specific?

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2013, 08:54:00 PM »

I started to post a handful of threads, but the forum limits the amount of links I can post.  For your first request, try searching "flight time" and "flight plan."

Neither of those searches yielded any results on the wiki.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2013, 08:57:20 PM »

Post two at the time (or whatever the maximum allows you), post them right after another and we will be able to see it all the information you provide.
Hello!

Junker

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2013, 09:08:55 PM »

That is because the searches are from the forum.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2013, 09:09:33 PM »

That is because the searches are from the forum.

That would do it then!  Thanks man.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

Junker

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2013, 09:10:38 PM »

Post two at the time (or whatever the maximum allows you), post them right after another and we will be able to see it all the information you provide.

I already closed the window after I got the error.  That is why I posted how I got the results.  If Roy can't find them by searching, then I will do it again.  I doubt he will have any problems though.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 09:12:48 PM by JUNKER »

?

Roy

« Reply #15 on: May 16, 2013, 09:54:56 PM »

1. As one would expect, skepticism is an abundant trait among those that believe in a flat earth. To answer your first question simply, I am skeptical: skeptical of the established distances, skeptical of the vailidity of RE maps, etc. This may seem irrational, but first answer this. What caused you to ask this question in the first place? Did you measure the continental distances in the southern hemisphere? Do you know without a doubt the exact distance between the eastmost and westmost points in Australia? Most likely, the answer is no. Yet you still raise this question. You raise it because you were told what those distances were. That does not necessarily make it true.

My biggest problem here is that I've flown from various places in the southern hemisphere to other such locations and I know how long it took and how fast I was traveling, information from which I can obtain the distance. Secondly, I highly doubt that the nation of Australia would lie to us about the distance between its easternmost and westernmost points. Surely an Australian subscribing to your theory could test this.

I too am a skeptic so it strikes me as odd that a skeptic would say "If you believe something to be true or just, that in itself is reason enough to endorse it." That seems to fly in the face of skepticism and instead endorse faith. A skeptic doesn't say that the evidence for far outweighs the evidence against when the entire scientific community denies such a theory. Is there any hard scientific evidence and can someone explain the distance problem to me?

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2013, 04:52:20 AM »
4.Universal acceleration causes the illusion of "gravity". It is nearly as credible as the theory of gravity, as both are incomplete theories at this point. Essentially, UA was postulated under the assumption that the earth was planar. There is just as much known about the mechanism that causes UA as the mechanism that causes gravity in each theory.That is, very little. darknavyseal brings up stratellites. Basically, satellites within the atmoplane. Also, the LORAN towers are worth your time to read up on.
No, UA is not nearly as credible as gravitation. UA explains a single observation, while gravity explains a lot more. Also, differences in weight in different places cannot, in any way, be accounted for by UA. Somebody suggested that the push is not equal in the bottom, but this would only cause the earth to break apart. In order for it to be stable, the acceleration has to be exactly the same in every point.
While it's true that there's no quantum theory of gravity, if you accept that mass distorts the spacetime you really don't need anything else. It's only because we want a unified theory that gravity is incomplete.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2013, 05:04:43 AM »
I don't wholly agree with that spaceman. Gravity surely has an effect at the quantum level and therefore our theory should encapsulate those effects.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2013, 10:04:17 AM »

My biggest problem here is that I've flown from various places in the southern hemisphere to other such locations and I know how long it took and how fast I was traveling, information from which I can obtain the distance. Secondly, I highly doubt that the nation of Australia would lie to us about the distance between its easternmost and westernmost points. Surely an Australian subscribing to your theory could test this.

I too am a skeptic so it strikes me as odd that a skeptic would say "If you believe something to be true or just, that in itself is reason enough to endorse it." That seems to fly in the face of skepticism and instead endorse faith. A skeptic doesn't say that the evidence for far outweighs the evidence against when the entire scientific community denies such a theory. Is there any hard scientific evidence and can someone explain the distance problem to me?

Item #1 - The flat earth map centered on the North Pole is simply a copy of the North Polar Projection of the globe. In any presentation of a map other than the globe some parts of the earth are going to be distorted. This is the case of the southern hemisphere being so distorted.

You would have to disbelieve all the surveys and mapping of Australia that has been done to accept the size and shape of Australia as shown on the polar projection. You could contact the Geologic Survey department of the Australian Government to verify the true size and shape of Australia.

In addition, it is impossible to navigate using the flat earth map. You would have to disbelieve all the air lines, air forces, steam ship lines  and navies of the world to accept the size and shape of the southern hemisphere to accept the flat earth map.

FE has never come up with an accurate map of a flat earth at
least as far as the southern hemisphere is concerned.

The "Antarctica As A Continent" or "Bi Polar " map is even more distorted.

So my question to FE is :
"Can you show us a map of the flat earth that shows the correct representation of the southern hemisphere or the whole earth for that matter without resorting to a common representation of a flat sheet map of a globe from common sources of such maps which were made from a globe ? "

« Last Edit: May 17, 2013, 10:11:17 AM by Googleotomy »

Chorus:

?

Roy

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2013, 10:08:42 AM »
I feel like I did a good job of coming out of the gate strong! Still waiting for answers about the distance between points in the southern hemisphere and objects in orbit.

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2013, 10:25:15 AM »
I feel like I did a good job of coming out of the gate strong! Still waiting for answers about the distance between points in the southern hemisphere and objects in orbit.

We've ("Round Earthers")  been waiting a long time  for a lot answers, too. I have just been on this website for not so very long but haven't been able to get any answers......At least very few that make sense.

My two main problems  have been in the measurements of the distance from the earth to the moon and "bendy light".

For examples :
The measurements of the distance from the earth to the moon have been verified by many sources in addition to those of Amateur Radio Operators as approximately 237,150 Miles, but FE insists the distance is only 15KM or 3000 Miles .(There seems to be even a disagreement among FE of whether 15KM or 3000 Miles is the correct distance.). (See that thread)

Also I have never seen a telescope in the U.S. Navy that could "bend" the light so that you could "restore" the sight of a ship that has sailed beyond the horizon.

These are just a few of the problems that I have been having with Flat Earth Theories.

Chorus:

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2013, 10:35:30 AM »

Wants us too look at FAQ, but when we question it, says that the FAQ is not representative...  ??? :-\ :'(

?

Roy

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2013, 02:05:46 PM »
Seeing as I'm not getting any sort of real or reasonable answers I'm forced to wonder if this is just all based on faith. Is this movement blindly motivated by religion? Otherwise, how can you dispute distances between places in the southern hemisphere?

Son of Orospu

• Jura's b*tch and proud of it!
  • Planar Moderator
  • I have artificial intelligence
« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2013, 02:59:53 PM »
Seeing as I'm not getting any sort of real or reasonable answers I'm forced to wonder if this is just all based on faith. Is this movement blindly motivated by religion? Otherwise, how can you dispute distances between places in the southern hemisphere?

Most FE'ers do not blindly follow religious scriptures.  We base our beliefs on real evidence.

?

spoon

• Flat Earth Editor
  • ho ho ho
« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2013, 04:08:10 PM »
Seeing as I'm not getting any sort of real or reasonable answers

Oh, I guess I didn't just give you a thorough, sincere explanation to all of your frequently asked questions. My bad.
how can you dispute distances between places in the southern hemisphere?

I'm still waiting for you to counter my explanation. You haven't said anything other than "I could do a primitive experiment to roughly calculate distances", but you haven't. And why does Australia have to be lying? Could they not simply be wrong? Humans have been wrong on a much higher scale than determining the width of a massive continent.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2013, 04:10:54 PM by burdenofproof »
I work nights are get the feeling of impennding doom for things most people take for granted.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2013, 04:22:25 PM »
And why does Australia have to be lying? Could they not simply be wrong?

I live in Australia, and have travelled across it. The measurements are not wrong. If they were, my trip would have taken more than twice as long as it did.
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #26 on: May 18, 2013, 08:02:27 PM »

Most FE'ers do not blindly follow religious scriptures.  We base our beliefs on real evidence.

Just one question.:
Do you believe that the Flat Earth Map is based on real evidence insofar as the representation of sizes , shapes and distances in the Southern Hemisphere (Australia in particular)  or that it is just what it is : a Polar Projection of the earth as a globe centered on the North Pole and the distortion is simply a result of trying to make a flat map from a globe ?

Chorus:

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #27 on: May 18, 2013, 08:34:12 PM »

Just one question.:
Do you believe that the Flat Earth Map is based on real evidence insofar as the representation of sizes , shapes and distances in the Southern Hemisphere (Australia in particular)  or that it is just what it is : a Polar Projection of the earth as a globe centered on the North Pole and the distortion is simply a result of trying to make a flat map from a globe ?

I believe that the Earth is flat based on the flat Earth evidence and the evidence that contradicts the Round Earth theory.

« Reply #28 on: May 18, 2013, 08:56:31 PM »

Just one question.:

I believe that the Earth is flat based on the flat Earth evidence and the evidence that contradicts the Round Earth theory.

You claim you have evidence, but moreover you claim you have evidence that contradicts the possibility of a round earth? How wonderful. Let us hear about it.
Hello!

Son of Orospu

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #29 on: May 18, 2013, 09:16:26 PM »

Just one question.:

You claim you have evidence, but moreover you claim you have evidence that contradicts the possibility of a round earth? How wonderful. Let us hear about it.

We sure will  Just stick around this site and you will find an overwhelming amount of evidence that points towards a flat Earth.  You might even want to Lurk Moar.