Water Drainage and the Equator.

• 16 Replies
« on: October 16, 2006, 02:25:26 PM »
I haven't seen an answer in the FAQ, so I'm asking.

Why does water drain away in an anti-clockwise direction in my sink, here in the UK, but it drains away the other way in my Uncles sink in New Zealand?
On the Equator it drains straight, goes in all around the plughole equally.

In truth, its because of gravitational effects on the Northern & Southern hemispheres and the Equator being in neither. How, on earth( :P ) is this explained in FE theory when there are no hemispheres or gravity(as its known anyway)

Everywhere rising simultaneously would surely mean the water would drain away like on the Equator?

?

GeoGuy

Re: Water Drainage and the Equator.
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2006, 02:50:29 PM »
Quote from: "Chri5peed"

Why does water drain away in an anti-clockwise direction in my sink, here in the UK, but it drains away the other way in my Uncles sink in New Zealand?

If you and your uncle's sinks are draining in opposite directions it's purely coincidence. Even in the RE model the Coriolis effect doesn't affect the way sinks drain.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
  • GPS does not require satellites.
Re: Water Drainage and the Equator.
« Reply #2 on: October 16, 2006, 03:05:30 PM »

In my home, the water drains differently in the kitchen than it does in the bathroom.  The design of the sink and the position of the faucet determine which direction the water will drain.

"I haven't been wrong since 1961, when I thought I made a mistake."
        -- Bob Hudson

« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2006, 03:06:37 PM »
Ooh theres another one. 3 generic answers to queries:

1) It a Conspiracy.

2) Its a fake/photoshopped.

3) A theory with a fancy name.

Quote from: "Wikipedia"
The Coriolis effect caused by the rotation of the Earth

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect

edit - This is obviously to persuade stubborn disbelievers. Obviously FEers not willing to accept they're wrong would say their own sinks drained allsorts of different ways.
Its like an FEer going into space and seeing a round Earth and being corrected just as an Australian backpacker going to Europe(obviously not by plane!) would see this effect.

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #4 on: October 16, 2006, 03:07:55 PM »
As I said, the Coriolis effect has no noticeable effect on the direction in which your sink drains.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #5 on: October 16, 2006, 03:25:06 PM »

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coriolis_effect

edit - This is obviously to persuade stubborn disbelievers. Obviously FEers not willing to accept they're wrong would say their own sinks drained allsorts of different ways.
Its like an FEer going into space and seeing a round Earth and being corrected just as an Australian backpacker going to Europe(obviously not by plane!) would see this effect.

Sigh...If you had even bothered to read the Wiki page, you would have come across this:
Quote from: "Wiki"
Draining bathtubs/toilets

A popular misconception is that the Coriolis effect determines the direction in which bathtubs or toilets drain, and whether water always drains in one direction in the Northern Hemisphere, and in the other direction in the Southern Hemisphere. In reality, the Coriolis effect is a few orders of magnitude smaller than other random influences on drain direction, such as the geometry of the sink, toilet, or tub; whether it is flat or tilted; and the direction in which water was initially added to it. Note that toilets typically are designed to only flush in one rotation, by having the flush water enter at an angle.

This is less of a puzzle once one remembers that the earth revolves once per day but that a bathtub takes only minutes to drain. When the water is being drawn towards the drain, the radius with which it is spinning around it decreases, so its rate of rotation increases from the low background level to a noticeable spin in order to conserve its angular momentum (the same effect as ice skaters bringing their arms in to cause them to spin faster).

Damn it people, think for yourselves.

-- Bob Hudson

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2006, 03:30:59 PM »
Quote from: "TheEngineer"
Sigh...If you had even bothered to read the Wiki page, you would have come across this: ...
Damn it people, think for yourselves.

I share in TheEngineer's fury!  Arrgh!

Ooh theres another one. 3 generic answers to queries:

1) It a Conspiracy.

Wow.  Are you sure you're in the right thread?  Nobody here mentioned conspiracies, fakery, photoediting, or the propensity for academics to hornswaggle laymen (you) with scientifical jargon.

And I didn't even notice this until now:

In truth, its because of gravitational effects on the Northern & Southern hemispheres and the Equator being in neither.

While you're reading the Wikipedia article, you might want to educate yourself not only about the misconceptions surrounding the Coriolis effect, but also about its physical source.  Gravity has nothing to do with it.
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2006, 03:52:04 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"

1) It a Conspiracy.

Wow.  Are you sure you're in the right thread?  Nobody here mentioned conspiracies, fakery, photoediting, or the propensity for academics to hornswaggle laymen (you) with scientifical jargon.

I only mentioned those three because they are usually an answer given by someone.

Also, I may be a layman in this instance, but I take offence to that term generally. Just to be clear, I did a 4 year apprenticeship and got a degree. However this was in Electrical Engineering, so it doesn't help here.

...besides I'm not going to lose any sleep over being being called something a bit derogatory by someone who believes the earth is flat!

« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2006, 03:56:26 PM »
It's a bit disheartening to see someone who claims to have a degree in Electrical Engineering and still doesn't seem to get it.

TheEngineer

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2006, 09:47:24 PM »
I actually hope he is lying.

-- Bob Hudson

Raa

• Flat Earth Believer
  • http://www.freewebs.com/raacoz/thesunhasnoheat.htm
« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2006, 10:07:13 PM »
I would say it's because of this. First of all water is connected together, or one. This means that all the water molecules in the universe are connected. It is one entity. If you were a little fish, you could swim anywhere there is water without having to (portage) or leave water. As we know water is the hardest molecule known to man (us). Water in the form of clouds doesn't reach higher than 100 miles. In the UN flag is the flat earth map. On the south side of the antartic circle the earth continues  as a flat topped cold surface earth infinitly to the sky line, or the big blue ball, therefore water is in-coming and it can go no further than the north pole. I would say that since the Cold and stars and sun and moon fly in a clockwise direction -east to west on a horizontal level- then the infinite amount of water which is in-coming is also flowing in clockwise direction, because of wind or cold pressure, and light pressure, but it is not in-coming all the time, because it has reached the end of the road at the northpole, but is still circling around the equator and north pole. When it reaches the north pole, it is like reaching a wall, it wants to go back , and only goes back as far as the equator in order to cause a circuling liquid balance. So the equtor is actually recieving both or every kind of flow and that's why the water just drops down the holes evenly. So then south of the equator the clock wise direction for water is natural, where as north of the equator it is like the water on the ocean shore; it is going back to the sea. And I would say that water, being one entity, therefore has pressure internally within its' large currents and that this affects drainage above sea level as well. Actually, it is very effective higher up because we observe that hurricanes turn in opposite directions on the opposite sides of the equator.
Everything, is in EMBRYO, not in mathematics. 
Please look at the 1/4 moon when it's around at noon ; We cannot see anything between it and the sun.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2006, 01:35:57 AM »
Quote from: "Raa"
First of all water is connected together, or one. ...

I think this guy and phaseshifter are teaming up with the goal of liquefying my brain (conspiracy!).

« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2006, 05:01:25 AM »
Before you fools berate me, my degree is in Electrical Engineering, which has absolutely nothing to do with this. Did you see, 'its a common misconception', which doesn't make it so unusual that I didn't know it.

Now I will go off and do a bit of research. Its a bit obvious folks on here would know it. I bet a similar thing is asked weekly and it would make sense you'd be more aware of it.

My line of work was working on Helicopters, nothing about weather.

Coriolis Force
an artifact of the earth's rotation

« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2006, 06:43:35 AM »
But Chir5peed is raising an interesting point.  Obviously, the Coriolis force is too small to effect systems like toilets and bathtubs.  But it does effect larger systems like hurricanes.

Due to the Coriolis effect, hurricanes spin one direction in the Northern hemisphere, and another in the southern.  How does this fit into FE?
"The earth looks flat; therefore it is flat."
-Flat Earthers

"Triangle ABC looks isosceles; therefore . . ."
-3rd grade geometry student

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #14 on: October 17, 2006, 10:41:00 AM »
My line of work was working on Helicopters, nothing about weather.

So.... you're saying angular momentum is not an important concept to understand when designing and building helicopters?

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2006, 10:42:08 AM »
Quote from: "Max Fagin"
Due to the Coriolis effect, hurricanes spin one direction in the Northern hemisphere, and another in the southern.

How do you know this to be true?

Raa

• Flat Earth Believer
  • http://www.freewebs.com/raacoz/thesunhasnoheat.htm
« Reply #16 on: October 19, 2006, 07:42:19 PM »
Quote from: "Erasmus"
Quote from: "Raa"
First of all water is connected together, or one. ...

I think this guy and phaseshifter are teaming up with the goal of liquefying my brain (conspiracy!).
Well if that's your picture there on the left, Erasmus, then it looks like your brain needs a little liquid. :|   &  Let me read a little bit of Phaseshifters stuff to see if he's on my team, because intelligence is like football ----- everybodies'  all over the field   8-)
Everything, is in EMBRYO, not in mathematics. 
Please look at the 1/4 moon when it's around at noon ; We cannot see anything between it and the sun.