New Experiment Reposted in Correct Bin

• 18 Replies
?

Jingle Jangle

• I breathe therefore I am
New Experiment Reposted in Correct Bin
« on: May 09, 2013, 06:43:54 AM »
 Hey guys, I am new to this forum, so I would like to start off by saying, "hello."  .  When I first saw that an airplane took the same amount of time moving both east and west between two points, I knew that the earth does not actually rotate 700 mph... Otherwise there would be a slight speed advantage when moving from east to west in comparison to west to east.  I also know that the existence of polonium-218 halos found in granite, which can be googled, prove that the earth had been instantaneously created.  Even dinosaurs according to the understanding of certain ancient apocrypha are explained as creatures of leviathan.
     Well anyway, has anyone ever taken a boat out to sea and gone out at least 80 miles to see the coast with a high power telescope?  With this experiment, we can finally prove that the earth is flat once and for all.   The idea that light actually bends is a horrible lie.  Because, if this were the case, at night time planes in the air would be clearly illuminated by the sun.  This is because the tangent lights rays would have to bend with the gravitational influence.
     Please tell me what you think, attempt to do this experiment, and meet back here. I dont have a boat or anything like that neither can I afford a high power telescope at the moment.  Someone out there must have some form of telescope.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
Re: New Experiment Reposted in Correct Bin
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2013, 06:57:27 AM »
Every flight I have been on has been faster going East than West.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2013, 06:59:03 AM »
There is going to be some refraction from the surface of the water that allows you to effectively see over the curvature of the Earth, albeit the landmarks would appear to be compressed.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 03:55:21 PM »

I have a theory on the Rama: that the (small) increase in centripetal force created by flying with the spin of the earth reduces induced drag, thereby allowing the plane to travel a little faster. I could be wrong of course, it's just an idea. ;)
Quote from: jtelroy
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

DuckDodgers

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 04:01:31 PM »

I have a theory on the Rama: that the (small) increase in centripetal force created by flying with the spin of the earth reduces induced drag, thereby allowing the plane to travel a little faster. I could be wrong of course, it's just an idea. ;)

I think this may have something to do with the high altitude air currents.  The upper atmosphere tends to be a little less chaotic than the lower atmosphere, allowing the formation of a current always travelling in the same direction, West to East in the northern hemisphere.

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 05:43:30 PM »

I think this may have something to do with the high altitude air currents.  The upper atmosphere tends to be a little less chaotic than the lower atmosphere, allowing the formation of a current always travelling in the same direction, West to East in the northern hemisphere.

Yeah, I know about the jet streams, I just thought that other was a fun idea to throw into the mix. ;)
...the FE'ers still found a way to deny it. Not with counter arguments. Not with proof of any kind. By simply denying it.

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool, than to open it and remove all doubt."

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 08:34:17 PM »
I have a boat and a very good telescope but due to instability, it wouldn't be feasible to put a high powered telescope on board. I suppose if the ocean was dead calm and smooth as glass, it might be possible. That's a rare occurrence, though. I've been on some extremely calm seas and have never seen it totally flat.
That being said, I've had many chances to use high powered, image stabilizing binoculars while on the ocean. Sometimes observing other vessels, sometimes on lookout for land. While sailing from Halifax, Nova Scotia to the Azores, we couldn't see Faial until we were about 25 nautical miles from it, however Lagoa, the highest point on Faial is only 2600 feet high. Now, sailing into the Canary Islands is a different story. On night watch Mike woke everyone when he spotted the lights of towns on the side of Teide, 70 nautical miles from the island of Tenerife. Teide is nearly 12 000 feet high. About 35 nautical miles out, the peak of Gran Canaria (6500 feet) came into view. As the boat neared Gran Canaria more of the island came into view. The city of Las Palmas started to show itself around 10 nautical miles out but the actual port of Las Palmas wasn't visible until 5 miles.
I can only wish that I'd had my telescope with me. The skies in the middle of the ocean, 2000km from the nearest source of light pollution are truly amazing. Seeing stars from horizon to horizon is incredible. Unfortunately, using a telescope to spot land from a boat wouldn't work. Even if you had a stable platform, you could only see the tops of mountains from that distance. Viewing something at sea level isn't even possible until you're only 5 miles out due to the curvature of the earth. I've been there, seen that, and I can't wait to do it again.
Even though you don't have a boat, you can always find a crew position and take the voyage. Believe me, it's a trip you'd never forget. Every year, a couple hundred people sail across the Atlantic and some skippers look for crew online. That way you could try your experiment for yourself and get the knowledge first-hand, rather than rely on observations that I and others like me have made.

?

Jingle Jangle

« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2013, 05:00:15 PM »
If there is no curvature 6 miles out there with a telescope, there is no curvature at all.  That experiment was already performed.  Also, the jet stream accounts for quicker speeds sometimes if you travel west to east.  However, rotation does not show up at all and by observation cannot be proven.  This fact proves the earth's flatness.  For example, the speed of sound is 761 mi/h (approx.), and the speed of rotation of the earth is assumed to be 1000 mph.  You would not hear anyone speak to you, if they spoke from the west of you.  Also, a 22 mile long island with a plank aligned to it from very far away shows the lack of curvature seen in the waters that surround it.  So, I guess I will have to stick to these experiments while I still wait for additional ways to prove my points...

?

Scintific Method

• Trust, but verify.
« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2013, 05:38:27 PM »
I have a boat and a very good telescope but due to instability, it wouldn't be feasible to put a high powered telescope on board. I suppose if the ocean was dead calm and smooth as glass, it might be possible. That's a rare occurrence, though. I've been on some extremely calm seas and have never seen it totally flat.
That being said, I've had many chances to use high powered, image stabilizing binoculars while on the ocean. Sometimes observing other vessels, sometimes on lookout for land. While sailing from Halifax, Nova Scotia to the Azores, we couldn't see Faial until we were about 25 nautical miles from it, however Lagoa, the highest point on Faial is only 2600 feet high. Now, sailing into the Canary Islands is a different story. On night watch Mike woke everyone when he spotted the lights of towns on the side of Teide, 70 nautical miles from the island of Tenerife. Teide is nearly 12 000 feet high. About 35 nautical miles out, the peak of Gran Canaria (6500 feet) came into view. As the boat neared Gran Canaria more of the island came into view. The city of Las Palmas started to show itself around 10 nautical miles out but the actual port of Las Palmas wasn't visible until 5 miles.
I can only wish that I'd had my telescope with me. The skies in the middle of the ocean, 2000km from the nearest source of light pollution are truly amazing. Seeing stars from horizon to horizon is incredible. Unfortunately, using a telescope to spot land from a boat wouldn't work. Even if you had a stable platform, you could only see the tops of mountains from that distance. Viewing something at sea level isn't even possible until you're only 5 miles out due to the curvature of the earth. I've been there, seen that, and I can't wait to do it again.
Even though you don't have a boat, you can always find a crew position and take the voyage. Believe me, it's a trip you'd never forget. Every year, a couple hundred people sail across the Atlantic and some skippers look for crew online. That way you could try your experiment for yourself and get the knowledge first-hand, rather than rely on observations that I and others like me have made.

^ That's pretty solid proof of round earth right there. Don't know how anyone can argue against that. (No, bendy light is not a valid argument)

DuckDodgers

« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 06:27:50 PM »
If there is no curvature 6 miles out there with a telescope, there is no curvature at all.  That experiment was already performed.  Also, the jet stream accounts for quicker speeds sometimes if you travel west to east.  However, rotation does not show up at all and by observation cannot be proven.  This fact proves the earth's flatness.  For example, the speed of sound is 761 mi/h (approx.), and the speed of rotation of the earth is assumed to be 1000 mph.  You would not hear anyone speak to you, if they spoke from the west of you.  Also, a 22 mile long island with a plank aligned to it from very far away shows the lack of curvature seen in the waters that surround it.  So, I guess I will have to stick to these experiments while I still wait for additional ways to prove my points...

You have some very major misconceptions about a round rotating Earth.  Sound travels that speed through its medium.  If the medium is moving, then the sound is traveling with it.  The air is rotating along with the Earth, so the sound would be traveling with the air.  You are thinking in terms of a stationary reference point, not a point rotating with the Earth.

You'll have to explain your island/plank situation a bit better.  Are you saying that standing far away from the island you can place a plank in your field of view and make it match the island?

?

Jingle Jangle

« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2013, 05:59:42 AM »
There is no way to observe and prove the curvature of the earth.  Observations indicate that the earth is flat.  I am talking about present an experiment that everyone can perform that invalidates the experiments we already possess.  It is impossible.  Now I address the speed of sound puzzle.  The medium which is air vibrations cannot be given inertia.     Air is not held solidly to the rotating earth so thus it cannot rotate as fast.  Since gravity was described to be caused by a fabric in space that is being pressed down upon by mass, if that were the case, everything fluid would be unequally distributed.  Gravity does not pull down air, it has so much energy that it moves wildly at the atomic level.  There are pieces of the puzzle that are not fitting here do not try to just make up answers...

DuckDodgers

« Reply #11 on: May 11, 2013, 06:49:50 AM »
There is no way to observe and prove the curvature of the earth.  Observations indicate that the earth is flat.  I am talking about present an experiment that everyone can perform that invalidates the experiments we already possess.  It is impossible.  Now I address the speed of sound puzzle.  The medium which is air vibrations cannot be given inertia.     Air is not held solidly to the rotating earth so thus it cannot rotate as fast.  Since gravity was described to be caused by a fabric in space that is being pressed down upon by mass, if that were the case, everything fluid would be unequally distributed.  Gravity does not pull down air, it has so much energy that it moves wildly at the atomic level.  There are pieces of the puzzle that are not fitting here do not try to just make up answers...

Everything that has mass is attracted by gravity, air has mass, thus air is attracted by gravity.  When 2 surfaces move past each other, there is a friction force as long as they are touching.  This is no different with air and is shown by objects having a terminal velocity.  There is a point where an object cannot fall any faster because air resistance (air friction) equals the falling force balancing out the acceleration.  This friction of air absolutely can explain why the atmosphere can rotate and continue to build speed to match the rotation of the Earth. 

You can very easily show the curvature of Earth by going to a decently long stretch of water (lets say 6 mile, like the Bedford-Level experiment).  Place an object at the 3 mile point at a specific height above the water.  Place an identical object at the 6 mile point at the same height above the water.  When you go back to the 0 mile point and set up a telescope at a height that will allow you to see the 6 mile object while uncompressed, you will notice that the far object appears lower than the 3 mile object.  And yet you placed them at the same height above the water.

You can also do some traveling to the southern hemisphere and measure the angle of sunlight using a stick and level surface and measuring the stick and length of the shadow and doing some trig.  You'll be surprised by what you find if you do this and believe the Earth is flat.

« Reply #12 on: May 11, 2013, 08:47:21 PM »
There is no way to observe and prove the curvature of the earth.  Observations indicate that the earth is flat.  I am talking about present an experiment that everyone can perform that invalidates the experiments we already possess.  It is impossible. 

No. You are totally wrong. Observations indicate that the earth is round. There are ways for you to conduct experiments for yourself, it seems you choose not to.
You specifically asked for observations, through a telescope, aboard a boat, 80 miles from shore. As explained to you, a telescope is a poor choice for optical observations aboard a boat due to the lack of a stable platform. High powered image stabilizing binoculars offer a much better means to observe. You then wanted to meet back here to discuss said observations. Well here we are.
I've met all the criteria of your experiment. I've taken observations and relayed them. These observations favour a round earth. Now, let's hear from others that have performed the same experiment. Better yet, do it yourself and meet back here to let us know what happened. Prove it to us.

?

Jingle Jangle

« Reply #13 on: May 12, 2013, 08:59:54 AM »
Peas, beef, gravy and rice... That earth was flat all along because I got a hold of some images.  Gee golly.  Curvature is an illusion of mirages combined with bendable light from gravitational fields...

« Reply #14 on: May 12, 2013, 09:25:35 AM »
Peas, beef, gravy and rice... That earth was flat all along because I got a hold of some images.  Gee golly.  Curvature is an illusion of mirages combined with bendable light from gravitational fields...
Holy shit Scepti, why bother, we know it's you.
Peas, beef, gravy and rice. Your birth certificate is nothing but an apology letter from a condom factory.
Again, get a life and move out of your parent's basement.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2013, 09:40:20 AM by googleearth »

?

Jingle Jangle

« Reply #15 on: May 12, 2013, 02:14:25 PM »
Cant I complement a good meal?  I am not scepti by the way.  I am someone different.

« Reply #16 on: May 12, 2013, 04:06:36 PM »
Cant I complement a good meal?  I am not scepti by the way.  I am someone different.

You sure are different, Scepti!

?

Jingle Jangle

« Reply #17 on: May 15, 2013, 08:13:47 AM »

You have some very major misconceptions about a round rotating Earth.  Sound travels that speed through its medium.  If the medium is moving, then the sound is traveling with it.  The air is rotating along with the Earth, so the sound would be traveling with the air.  You are thinking in terms of a stationary reference point, not a point rotating with the Earth.

You'll have to explain your island/plank situation a bit better.  Are you saying that standing far away from the island you can place a plank in your field of view and make it match the island?

Those clouds up there are not passing by our head at 1000 mph though.  I will give you that real fast...  Just think about that.  The earth most certainly is flat.

DuckDodgers

« Reply #18 on: May 15, 2013, 08:19:14 AM »

Those clouds up there are not passing by our head at 1000 mph though.  I will give you that real fast...  Just think about that.  The earth most certainly is flat.

We are not approaching the clouds at an accelerated pace.  Earth is most definitely round.  The air works the same in both models, it is still relative to the ground.  Try something else.