Sun/Moon orbits and shape

• 6 Replies
« on: October 18, 2006, 11:46:53 PM »
This question may have been asked before.  Heck, it might be one of the standard questions asked about Flat Earth theories, and as such you guys might have a standard answer for it.  I've read the FAQ, and it didn't address this issue.

If the sun and moon are two-dimensional objects, and their "rising" and "setting" are simply results of their moving farther away to the point where we can no longer see them, then wouldn't they become progressively more elliptical in shape as they moved closer and closer to the horizon?

Throwing a frisbee, for example.  If a frisbee flies directly above you, you can look up and plainly see its round shape.  Yet, as it passes you it becomes an ellipsis and, if it flies far enough, will eventually become a line to our eyes.  If the Flat Earth description of the sun and moon's "orbit" around Earth is correct, we'd expect to see a similar pattern as they move farther away from us, yet we don't.  

Does Flat Earth physics account for this in a way that I am unfamiliar with?

« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2006, 12:26:56 AM »
How would you know what shape they are?

Didn't your mother teach you never to look at the sun?

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2006, 01:46:03 AM »
Thank you for that productive post, jackass.

The FEers wont answer this, as they do every time someone asks this question.
quote="Dogplatter"]
Penguins were actually created in the 1960's by Russian scientists who combined the DNA of otters and birds.  [/quote]

LOL

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2006, 03:17:30 AM »
Quote from: "Yardstick2006"

YStick, we all now you're the one who should chastise Unimportant for unimportant posts, because as I was looking through YOUR posts, I found nothing but well thought out posts.

Or not.

edit: corrected spelling of "looking"
 believe the Earth is round.
That doesn't mean the Earth is round.

"If you're going to yell at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" --Homer Simpson

?

tony.rothweiler

« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2006, 07:47:25 AM »
Jeremy has an excellent point.

In addition to what he's saying, there's another issue. If the sun and moon are circling above a flat earth, then their course through the sky would have some sort of curvature to it that we would most definitely notice.

And if we wouldn't notice it, then why not get a telescope and map out the coordinates to prove me wrong? Map out coordinates that prove that there is a significant amount of ellipsis in the sun's orbit above earth.

My last point: In today's modern Flat Earth theory maps, the "southern" oceans are the largest. Thus said, it would then take the absolute greatest amount of time to fly in a circle around the outermost reaches of the earth, while it would take much, much less time to fly around the "equator".

Until a Flat Earther gains control of a plane and proves this, Flat Earth theory has no proof.

Granted, the government could "shut them up" or "pay them off", but then we would come back to Jeremy's post, which cannot be argued away by the government. The only way for what Jeremy says to not be a problem would be if the earth were flat, but celestial bodies were not.

However, that would then bring other problems, such as the question of why the earth would be the only flat celestial body.

« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2006, 02:17:30 PM »
Quote from: "holybrain"
Quote from: "Yardstick2006"

YStick, we all now you're the one who should chastise Unimportant for unimportant posts, because as I was looking through YOUR posts, I found nothing but well thought out posts.

Or not.

edit: corrected spelling of "looking"

It's actually pretty flattering having a fanboy like Yardstick follow you around commenting on all of your posts. Does great things for the old ego :)

?

tony.rothweiler

« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2006, 10:59:38 PM »
does nobody have an educated response? why is that?