Ocean on Flat Earth

• 61 Replies
?

Puttah

Re: Ocean on Flat Earth
« Reply #30 on: May 14, 2013, 04:36:01 AM »
I don't understand this conspiracy. Sometimes it tries to silence people, and other times it lets people get away with murder. Then there's this site.  ??? ??? ???
Scepti, this idiocy needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. You are making a mockery of this fine forum with your poor trolling. You are a complete disgrace.

« Reply #31 on: May 15, 2013, 04:57:45 AM »
Clearly, the dome of the sky holds in the air. Google even included it in their depiction of the flat earth.

So you take an image of google as your evidence? I can also show you a cartoon of a talking rabbit, walking on two feet, eating a carrot and being smarter than the hunter. Does that proof anything..? No.

When Google depicts the earth as a flat disc in their Google Doodle for earth day, yes, I take them seriously. I think that's pretty huge... their logo, spread all over the flat earth. Fitting, isn't it? They even have the water dripping off the edge.

Your other question isn't even worth answering.

Ha! And I wonder why it isn't worth answering...look, I show you another doodle

Talking flowers! Must be true then, if google uses it, it must be true.

Or what about this one, if you are going to believe google whatever they put as a doodle
Round earth...!

Look I found you another one

Oh my gosh...another one, here

Oh boy oh boy oh boy...Google totally provides the proof here (sarcasm)
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 05:05:19 AM by Lolflatdisc »
Hello!

?

Thork

« Reply #32 on: May 15, 2013, 05:03:36 AM »
the sky is covered by a dome?  ???
what is it made from?
Why do you keep asking the same questions again and again? You've been told many times before.

Quote from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmament
The firmament is a great tent-like ceiling made of solid crystalline-like material

« Reply #33 on: May 15, 2013, 05:12:46 AM »
what is it made from?
Why do you keep asking the same questions again and again? You've been told many times before.

The firmament is a great tent-like ceiling made of solid crystalline-like material

Doesn't explain much, does it Thork? Oh and if you are going to use that wikipedia page, read through it completely. But if you got to believe Rip Riley, you totally got to believe Google's doodles. I knew flowers could talk... ::)

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Firmament
The Greeks and Stoics adopted a model of celestial spheres after the discovery of the sphericity of the Earth in the 4th to 3rd centuries BCE. The Medieval Scholastics adopted a cosmology that fused the ideas of the Greek philosophers Aristotle and Ptolemy.[21] This cosmology involved celestial orbs, nested concentrically inside one another, with the earth at the centre. The outermost orb contained the stars and the term firmament was then transferred to this orb. (There were seven inner orbs for the seven wanderers of the sky, and their ordering is preserved in the naming of the days of the week.)

Even Copernicus' heliocentric model included an outer sphere that held the stars (and by having the earth rotate daily on its axis it allowed the firmament to be completely stationary). Tycho Brahe's studies of the nova of 1572 and the comet of 1577 were the first major challenges to the idea that orbs existed as solid, incorruptible, material objects.[22]

In 1584, Bruno proposed a cosmology without firmament: an infinite universe in which the stars are actually suns with their own planetary systems.[23] After Galileo began using a telescope to examine the sky, it became harder to argue that the heavens were perfect, as Aristotelian philosophy required. By 1630, the concept of solid orbs was no longer dominant
Hello!

?

Thork

« Reply #34 on: May 15, 2013, 05:41:17 AM »
what is it made from?

Doesn't explain much, does it Thork?
I only quoted one sentence. How much information were you expecting in it? The question was "What is it made from?" not "What is it made from and explain in detail the mechanics and all things about the firmament.".

Armed with the source you should be able to now go and research more about the firmament if you are interested in it. I'm not here to spoon feed you. Its a waste of my time. If you find something interesting about the firmament and want to ask me about it, quote your source and do so. You can find out as little or as much as you want about it, but I'm not going to write an essay for every answer I give. More often than not those asking the questions aren't really interested in the answers.

« Reply #35 on: May 15, 2013, 11:27:49 AM »
what is it made from?

Doesn't explain much, does it Thork?
I only quoted one sentence. How much information were you expecting in it? The question was "What is it made from?" not "What is it made from and explain in detail the mechanics and all things about the firmament.".

Armed with the source you should be able to now go and research more about the firmament if you are interested in it. I'm not here to spoon feed you. Its a waste of my time. If you find something interesting about the firmament and want to ask me about it, quote your source and do so. You can find out as little or as much as you want about it, but I'm not going to write an essay for every answer I give. More often than not those asking the questions aren't really interested in the answers.

I would expect to get some details here. You want to convince the world that the earth is in fact a flat disc, don't you? This site is aimed at that. All the other people got it wrong, are indoctrined, are in a conspiracy and you guys have all the answers and people should know about the fact the earth is flat.

The mission statement literally says the following and I quote http://theflatearthsociety.org/cms/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=48&Itemid=65
The mission of the Flat Earth Society is to promote and initiate discussion of Flat Earth theory as well as archive Flat Earth literature.

What kind of debate do you have if you only drop one sentence and tell the other to find it out themselves. You know what?
The earth is a sphere

You go find it out, you do the research. Now before you answer to that I know what you are probably going to say. You already did research and you found solid proof the earth is flat. Guess what, I got solid proof the earth is a sphere and I want to debate about it. Me (and many other RE defenders) have stepped up, shown fundamental errors with the FET, asked many questions. No one of the FE defenders is able to give explanations. If you ask questions, the topic will be dead and derailed within just a few posts. Or some FE defenders give some answers, which only raise more questions and after that, from the FE side no one is ever going to respond to the additional questions being asked.

Apparently I got to spoon feed you and ask all the right questions before I get any answers. So here goes. How come the idea of firmament has been abandonded by the scientists?
Hello!

« Reply #36 on: May 15, 2013, 02:52:54 PM »
If anything, all the hostile posters coming here to defend round earth reinforce the fact that there really must be something to the flat earth.

People don't come here to joke around and have fun, they come here to condescend and argue adamantly that the world is a sphere, because science (which they didn't take any part in) says so.

This follows other patterns of hostile behavior towards anybody deviating from 'official' thought that has me pretty convinced there is something to flat earth theory. So if anything, I thank all the posters with hundreds or thousands of posts trying to steer people away from flat earth theory. There really must be something to it, and without you guys, I probably wouldn't have decided that.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #37 on: May 15, 2013, 03:03:26 PM »
If anything, all the hostile posters coming here to defend round earth reinforce the fact that there really must be something to the flat earth.

People don't come here to joke around and have fun, they come here to condescend and argue adamantly that the world is a sphere, because science (which they didn't take any part in) says so.

This follows other patterns of hostile behavior towards anybody deviating from 'official' thought that has me pretty convinced there is something to flat earth theory. So if anything, I thank all the posters with hundreds or thousands of posts trying to steer people away from flat earth theory. There really must be something to it, and without you guys, I probably wouldn't have decided that.

No I just don't like people who promote a point of view based on falsehoods and ignorance. I think it is dangerous for the same reasons religion can be. It promotes people to build a world view based on untruth.

The line of thinking that "people must come here because they doubt (RE, themselves, etc) is totally incoherent and reeks of wishful thinking.
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

« Reply #38 on: May 15, 2013, 04:32:18 PM »

So you are only convinced on the fact that people out there are willing to debate about it? Yeah right...so... for example...pretty much everyone will tell you not to look directly into the sun, because if you do, you will damage your eyes. You are convinced they are onto something, so then there's you saying..."there is something to the sun...I will need to look at it...".

Suit yourself, I am not here to halt you...although you may feel like it
now I've said it. Oh... the irony...how everything seems to look like they're trying to stop you.

Well if you are truly onto something, you got some proof, right? I mean, there is something that proofs the earth is flat. Have you shown anything, other than the google doodle. You remember, right? Just scroll up. The google doodle of the flat earth, you were totally convinced Google meant something with it...Turns out they got like a dozens of spherical earths in their pictures as well, and what is more..talking flowers!

Are you convinced now that there are talking flowers too? Will all the people debating about the fact there are no talking flowers make you more convinced there are...somewhere....hidden...?

In all my threads I have shown you and the rest of the FES fundamental issues with the theory. Issues which need to be explained. Serious debates, but so far, no answers. Or some answers, but then again no answers. Look at this topic, do we discuss the issue I raised here? Do you explain to me how this dome is suppose to work? How come scientists have abandonded the idea?

Just answering those questions and then debating about it would truely show you that you are onto something. Not the people who are here to debate about and defending the RE. How many people are there who defend the RE? A few dozens max? The rest of the world doesn't give a sh*t....
Hello!

« Reply #39 on: May 15, 2013, 04:48:29 PM »

Clearly, the dome of the sky holds in the air. Google even included it in their depiction of the flat earth.

reeks of wishful thinking.

This

?

Puttah

« Reply #40 on: May 15, 2013, 08:28:20 PM »

If we're to be technical, just look at the little mountain and river. It sure looks like a depiction of Earth on a local scale. It's an idea that FEers have yet been able to grasp after all these years.
Scepti, this idiocy needs to stop and it needs to stop right now. You are making a mockery of this fine forum with your poor trolling. You are a complete disgrace.

« Reply #41 on: May 15, 2013, 10:18:21 PM »

Well if you are truly onto something, you got some proof, right? I mean, there is something that proofs the earth is flat. Have you shown anything, other than the google doodle. You remember, right? Just scroll up. The google doodle of the flat earth, you were totally convinced Google meant something with it...Turns out they got like a dozens of spherical earths in their pictures as well, and what is more..talking flowers!

Are you convinced now that there are talking flowers too? Will all the people debating about the fact there are no talking flowers make you more convinced there are...somewhere....hidden...?

Strawman after strawman. You may "lol" at the flat disc idea, but Google does not. Period. They put water dripping off the edge in case you had any doubts about what they were implying. I do not see that as artistic license, and from any point of view - especially on this forum - it is an interesting choice of an earth day logo for a company as powerful, knowledgeable, and close to the government as google.

In all my threads I have shown you and the rest of the FES fundamental issues with the theory. Issues which need to be explained. Serious debates, but so far, no answers. Or some answers, but then again no answers.

Blah, you and like what, two hundred other people who come here and claim to have shut down everything about FES?

Look at this topic, do we discuss the issue I raised here? Do you explain to me how this dome is suppose to work? How come scientists have abandonded the idea?

This is what gets me. You expect one person (me) to know the answer to a question as enormous as that. Do you also expect one person to figure out the mechanics of global plate tectonics, the composition of the sun, or any other question in the conventional model that has been worked on by millions of people over hundreds of years? My only answer is if there is a dome surrounding this world, you can bet your ass governments of the world are interested in finding out what it is and trying to get through it. You have no proof scientists have abandoned the idea, and I have none they haven't. Asking me to provide an answer you know I have no way of knowing tells me you aren't genuinely interested in the answer, but rather being able to mock me when I can't provide one. Despicable.

?

Puttah

« Reply #42 on: May 15, 2013, 10:59:17 PM »
Strawman after strawman. You may "lol" at the flat disc idea, but Google does not. Period. They put water dripping off the edge in case you had any doubts about what they were implying. I do not see that as artistic license, and from any point of view - especially on this forum - it is an interesting choice of an earth day logo for a company as powerful, knowledgeable, and close to the government as google.

Yeah, I also find it ridiculous that a government supposedly hell-bent on hiding the truth would put up a flat Earth logo.

Also, there is no underground in the picture. The roots of the plant are just hanging there. Is the Earth hollow as well?

Blah, you and like what, two hundred other people who come here and claim to have shut down everything about FES?

Claim to?

FE: The sun circles overhead the flat Earth.
RE: Then how come we can see the sun clearly go into and out of the horizon?
FE: Hmm... Light must bend!
RE: Light has never been observed to bend that way.

Care to fill in the dots?

My only answer is if there is a dome surrounding this world, you can bet your ass governments of the world are interested in finding out what it is and trying to get through it. You have no proof scientists have abandoned the idea, and I have none they haven't.

If there is a flying spaghetti monster on the other side of the moon, you can bet your ass governments of the world are interested in capturing it. You have no idea scientists have abandoned the idea, and I have none they haven't.
« Last Edit: May 15, 2013, 11:01:21 PM by Puttah »

Foxy

• but it did happen
« Reply #43 on: May 15, 2013, 11:32:33 PM »
Yeah, I also find it ridiculous that a government supposedly hell-bent on hiding the truth would put up a flat Earth logo.

Since a cartoon like this can't really prove a conspiracy on its own, I don't think they have anything to lose by posting this image. Why wouldn't they post it? All it would ever be to most people is one of their many homepage images.

« Reply #44 on: May 16, 2013, 05:35:45 AM »

Now you totally ignore Google has used talking flowers as their logo! Does that mean anything to you? Talking flowers..!
Are you convinced now there are talking flowers too?

Besides that, I have shown you a few (out of many) doodles which show a spherical earth. But you ignore this for your own sake. Mark my words, you are never going to respond to the talking flower question.

To me it means nothing, it is the freedom of arts. But apparanetly to you it is evidence, so come on...if they would mean something with the flat earth logo, they also mean something with all their other logos. Do you believe now there are talking flowers too?

What is this forum to you? Your baby? Your reaction suggest you are disgusted about the fact FES should have to be shut down.
Well, good news for you. I do not claim to shut down FES. I only want to debate about the issues, but so far these issues have been gone unanswered by all the FE defenders out here. If there are so many fundamental issues, I would say you may want to consider devoting your time in other subjects. That however is up to you! If you are totally convinced the earth is flat, go say it...tell me that I am wasting my time on you.

This is what gets me. You expect one person (me) to know the answer to a question as enormous as that. Do you also expect one person to figure out the mechanics of global plate tectonics, the composition of the sun, or any other question in the conventional model that has been worked on by millions of people over hundreds of years? My only answer is if there is a dome surrounding this world, you can bet your ass governments of the world are interested in finding out what it is and trying to get through it. You have no proof scientists have abandoned the idea, and I have none they haven't. Asking me to provide an answer you know I have no way of knowing tells me you aren't genuinely interested in the answer, but rather being able to mock me when I can't provide one. Despicable.

Oh really?! Where do you get the idea governments are interested in finding out what the dome is? Where the hell did you get the idea that governments are into a conspiracy to lie about the earth's shape. With what purpose?
I have proof the scientists have abandonded the idea.

http://www.mesacc.edu/~thoqh49081/handouts/bibleproblems.html
The biblical view of the "universe" is that the earth is a flat expanse, held up by pillars, with a hard bowl ("the firmament") over the top that constitutes the sky and holds the waters above away from the earth below. The stars are lights that have been placed in that firmament. The sun passes across the expanse, around the earth. This, of course, is NOT the view of modern physics and astronomy. (The spacecraft we have sent up over the last forty years did NOT crash into the firmament.) 

If you have any proof saying they work in secret about this idea, you may have a point, otherwise you are just making stories up, for the sake of your own believe in the FET.
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 05:39:06 AM by Lolflatdisc »
Hello!

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #45 on: May 16, 2013, 06:36:37 AM »

He was not presenting a strawman.  He was pointing out that one cartoon depiction of a FE is no more evidence of a FE than a caricature of a politician showing an abnormally large nose is an indication of giganticism.  the quality of your evidence is terrible and he was using sarcasm to show it.

What is despicable is claiming to be on equal footing with models that have had millions of people and hundreds of years of work put in to it when the quantity and quality of the study is drastically inferior (not necessarily in a pejorative sense, but in a sense of indicating a lesser magnitude).
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

« Reply #46 on: May 16, 2013, 11:05:10 AM »
That however is up to you! If you are totally convinced the earth is flat, go say it...tell me that I am wasting my time on you.

The possibility will remain in my mind that earth is a flat disc, and nothing you say will change that. I will remain open to the possibility until I see firsthand that earth is a sphere. Whether you are wasting your time or not, is not my call.

« Reply #47 on: May 16, 2013, 11:14:58 AM »

Hiding things in plain sight is part of the modus operandi. Putting a flat earth logo up for earth day fits perfectly.

« Reply #48 on: May 16, 2013, 11:25:09 AM »
That however is up to you! If you are totally convinced the earth is flat, go say it...tell me that I am wasting my time on you.

The possibility will remain in my mind that earth is a flat disc, and nothing you say will change that. I will remain open to the possibility until I see firsthand that earth is a sphere. Whether you are wasting your time or not, is not my call.

That clarifies at least something. You do not trust others in their judgements?

even though the shape earth has been widely established among the people? There are ways to witness the earth's shape already.

- Send up a weather balloon with your own camera. Many amateurs did and then you will have firsthand footage of the earth's shape. This is a fairly cheap way to see it for yourself -
- Another way is go to the beach and watch for ships sailing towards you. Take some binoculars with you. Search the horizon for any approaching ships. Close to an harbour would be a good spot, as there will be lots of traffic going 'over' the horizon'. Using your binoculars will get rid of the laws of perspective -
- You could also try to see if you can see another continent, country, island, whatever, which is otherwise not visible to you at the beach. -
- More expensive way to find out is to travel aboard a plane. Aboard a plane you are able to see much further away, while on the ground you cant see that far -

Space travel is a new idea that is developing. Perhaps in 20 years space travel will be just as common as is air travel today. If you got a great deal of money, that too would be a way to see the earth yourself now.

If you are open to other's reasoning, then perhaps I could educate you and then I will be not wasting my time. If you believe the earth is flat and nothing could proof you otherwise, not even the  experiments and ways you can check yourself, then I would be wasting my time. Let me ask you this though, if I you do not trust my judgement about the earth's shape because I defend the spherical earth. Then why would you rely on the judgement of others, saying the earth is flat?
Hello!

« Reply #49 on: May 16, 2013, 11:52:39 AM »
I don't.

I will remain open to the possibility of flat OR round earth. Most of the methods you listed haven't been satisfactory in my experience, else I wouldn't be here.

« Reply #50 on: May 16, 2013, 12:22:00 PM »
I don't.

I will remain open to the possibility of flat OR round earth. Most of the methods you listed haven't been satisfactory in my experience, else I wouldn't be here.

Thank you for enlighting that up. Most of them, does that mean there is one which is somewhat satisfying to your believe?
Hello!

« Reply #51 on: May 16, 2013, 12:45:11 PM »
Yeah, weather balloon would be satisfying if I could send one up. Also, seeing stuff over the ocean 9+ miles away. I tried this, and couldn't really tell if part of it was obscured or not. So it wasn't satisfactory either way. I have no problem if the earth is round.

« Reply #52 on: May 16, 2013, 02:55:29 PM »
Yeah, weather balloon would be satisfying if I could send one up. Also, seeing stuff over the ocean 9+ miles away. I tried this, and couldn't really tell if part of it was obscured or not. So it wasn't satisfactory either way. I have no problem if the earth is round.

Well here is how someone rigged a weather balloon. http://blog.hartleybrody.com/in-space/ 
It's about $210 to do that experiment. You could also go on a plane for that money, but you will only reach about 10 km max.
Hello!

?

robintex

• Ranters
« Reply #53 on: May 16, 2013, 05:42:41 PM »

That clarifies at least something. You do not trust others in their judgements?

even though the shape earth has been widely established among the people? There are ways to witness the earth's shape already.

- Send up a weather balloon with your own camera. Many amateurs did and then you will have firsthand footage of the earth's shape. This is a fairly cheap way to see it for yourself -
- Another way is go to the beach and watch for ships sailing towards you. Take some binoculars with you. Search the horizon for any approaching ships. Close to an harbour would be a good spot, as there will be lots of traffic going 'over' the horizon'. Using your binoculars will get rid of the laws of perspective -
- You could also try to see if you can see another continent, country, island, whatever, which is otherwise not visible to you at the beach. -
- More expensive way to find out is to travel aboard a plane. Aboard a plane you are able to see much further away, while on the ground you cant see that far -

Space travel is a new idea that is developing. Perhaps in 20 years space travel will be just as common as is air travel today. If you got a great deal of money, that too would be a way to see the earth yourself now.

If you are open to other's reasoning, then perhaps I could educate you and then I will be not wasting my time. If you believe the earth is flat and nothing could proof you otherwise, not even the  experiments and ways you can check yourself, then I would be wasting my time. Let me ask you this though, if I you do not trust my judgement about the earth's shape because I defend the spherical earth. Then why would you rely on the judgement of others, saying the earth is flat?

After being on this website for a relatively short time, I have come to the conclusion that FE's don't trust anybody but another FE that agrees with them.

Also as to the canopy.:
Somewhere else on this website I saw one answer that the canopy was made of water. But another said it was made of ice.  ??? But at any rate it keeps the air in on the earth.  ???
Stick close , very close , to your P.C.and never go to sea
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Look out your window , see what you shall see
And you all may be Rulers of The Flat Earth Society

Chorus:
Yes ! Never, never, never,  ever go to sea !

Tom Bishop

• Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #54 on: May 19, 2013, 04:10:54 PM »
Claim to?

Shine a laser beam at a black wall across a 6 mile lake and observe whether the light arrives at a slightly higher altitude than when it left. If the beam is higher, it will demonstrate that light curves upwards.

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #55 on: May 19, 2013, 04:26:21 PM »
Claim to?

Shine a laser beam at a black wall across a 6 mile lake and observe whether the light arrives at a slightly higher altitude than when it left. If the beam is higher, it will demonstrate that light curves upwards.

You do it and publish the results. The positive side has the burden of proof.

« Reply #56 on: May 19, 2013, 04:27:57 PM »
Claim to?

Good joke. Explain why the light would bend upwards?

Here is another one for you. The light of the laser travels in a straight distance. The wall at a 6 mile distance is actually standing lower if you take the laser point as point 0, because of the curvature of the earth. To calculate how much lower use (pythagoras) a^2 + b^2 = c^2 .
Radius of the earth is 6371 km. 6 miles = 9.6 km
6371 ^2 + 9.6 ^2  =  c^2
sqrt c^2 = 6371.007233 km
So while your laser is pointing straight forward, after 6 miles it will be 6371.007233 km - 6371 km = 0.007233 km or. 7,23 m  higher then the starting point.  The diagram is to illustrate it if you can't do it in your head.
Obviously if you are standing at the wall it would seem as if the light is beding upwards, but all it does is following a straight line.

« Last Edit: May 19, 2013, 04:29:35 PM by Lolflatdisc »
Hello!

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #57 on: May 19, 2013, 04:52:39 PM »

How is that observably different from the earth curving downwards?
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.

DuckDodgers

• One Duck to Rule Them All
  • What's supposed to go here?
« Reply #58 on: May 19, 2013, 04:57:57 PM »
Claim to?

And how would this not show that the Earth is curved?  You know, equivalency principle and all.
markjo, what force can not pass through a solid or liquid?
Magnetism for one and electric is the other.

?

Puttah

« Reply #59 on: May 19, 2013, 07:07:30 PM »

This is why we have scientists, so obvious flaws in logic like this don't go unnoticed.