Dispute with Curatorship

• 90 Replies
Dispute with Curatorship
« on: April 24, 2013, 11:15:45 AM »
I am being threatened by being banned for daring to criticize a member of this forum's curatorship's judgment.

I wanted to explain my view of events in case he follows through on his threat and I am unjustly silenced.

The thread in question is here:  http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,58411.0.html

The original poster did a lot of work and spent a lot of time on his originating post and posted it in a forum specifically designated to discuss flat earth theory and folklore - then went on to abuse his abilities as Curator by moving any posts discussing flat earth theory and folklore - specifically Wallace's historical contributions to Flat Earth Science out of his thread and to the Boards of Antichtone.

The offending Curator has made clear his intent in private messages to have me banned by merely suggesting he might want to move his thread to a more appropriate forum.

I have not broken any rules and the forum guidelines are clearly on my side.

Moving my suggestions and other posts out of his thread is an abuse of Curatorship abilities and I do not wish to be silenced for advocating the spirit of these forums and for calling attention to this matter.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 11:17:50 AM by Kendrick »

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
Re: Dispute with Curatorship
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2013, 11:53:07 AM »
Thork can't have you banned unless you break a rule. He can only make suggestions.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

rooster

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2013, 12:04:21 PM »
That is BS though. Why does Thork keep moving the posts?

Thork is drunk with power and must be stopped.

?

Thork

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2013, 12:21:32 PM »
As I have explained to Kendrick on several occasions, I would like my Wallace thread unmolested and I have been protecting it from his sleazy advances. Despite my setting out that the thread is for everything in Wallace's life APART from the court case (especially as we have a court case thread running right now), Kendrick has insisted on pawing at it and rubbing himself up against it. I batted away 5 of his amorous advances into CN as he sized my poor thread up and drooled at it like a hungry predator. I sent PMs begging him to advert his attentions and not cheapen my poor thread with his shabby opinions and unwashed ideas. I watched as his chubby fingers caressed its posts, his little black eyes undressing my OP and like any protective father would do, I put a shotgun to his face and told him to get the hell out of my thread! >o<

That thread is about Wallace. An important figure in FES hence the reason its in the upper fora. I do not want to DEBATE the court case nor do I want QUESTIONS AND ANSWERS on the court case. The thread is about the TV series, the statue dedicated to Wallace, his contributions to the theory of evolution and his life in general. There is a thread about the court case running right now. Mine is a GENERAL thread about the life of a man who came up against the flat earth society and lost. SO STOP ASKING FOR IT TO BE MOVED TO THE SCIENCE AREA! >o<

I would ask the mods to protect my poor thread from the dirty old men that seek to ruin and defile it.

Thank you.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 12:24:26 PM by Thork »

rooster

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2013, 12:33:13 PM »
Well, since this is a forum where there is usually some form of debate in threads, having a very specific and informative thread doesn't make sense. Did you want the thread stickied and locked so that it just remains general information? Maybe you should consider writing a biography on Wallace rather than making a forum thread. As long as Kendrick is talking about Wallace, he's not breaking any rules. Just ignore his posts if you want to.

?

Thork

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2013, 12:36:37 PM »
Speaking of cheap ...

Its not too much to ask that people stay on topic. The topic is Wallace without the court case. There is already a thread running for that. Is it too much to ask that those who have no interest in the TV series just don't participate?

rooster

« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2013, 12:39:44 PM »
Speaking of cheap ...

Its not too much to ask that people stay on topic. The topic is Wallace without the court case. There is already a thread running for that. Is it too much to ask that those who have no interest in the TV series just don't participate?
You can ask, but this isn't a police state. He's technically still on topic as it pertains to Wallace's life.

?

Thork

« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2013, 12:41:13 PM »
No, he just kept posting about how my thread should be moved. He was contributing nothing ... as usual.

Tausami

• Head Editor
  • Flat Earth Editor
  • Venerated Official of the High Zetetic Council
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2013, 12:42:54 PM »
Thork, I rmember you digging into me for less during my short term as a mod. Have some dignity.

rooster

« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2013, 12:46:16 PM »
The thread in question is here:  http://www.theflatearthsociety.org/forum/index.php/topic,58411.0.html

The original poster did a lot of work and spent a lot of time on his originating post and posted it in a forum specifically designated to discuss flat earth theory and folklore - then went on to abuse his abilities as Curator by moving any posts discussing flat earth theory and folklore - specifically Wallace's historical contributions to Flat Earth Science out of his thread and to the Boards of Antichtone.

I now see Thork's argument. His thread is posted in Flat Earth General.

Flat Earth General
For the discussion of any FE topics unrelated to Flat Earth Theory. Conspiracy topics belong here.

Technically speaking, where his thread is means that it doesn't have anything to do with FE theory. So maybe you should make your own thread somewhere else to discuss theory.

?

Thork

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2013, 12:47:17 PM »
Thank you. :-*

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2013, 12:59:07 PM »
Here you can freely discuss about the Flat Earth Society or the Flat Earth movement in general. For example, if you want to ask questions about The Conspiracy, flat earth believers and their beliefs, or anything else not related to Flat Earth Theory, this is the place for it. If you wish to discuss Flat Earth Theory itself, you should go to Flat Earth Q&A or Flat Earth Debate.

The Forum Curator posted a thread in the forum with the above guidelines then abused his abilities by censoring people who chose to address its content from the perspective of 'flat earth believers or flat earth beliefs'.

This is akin to someone loading up a wagon with bananas, hanging a sign on it saying 'NO MONKEYS' then wheeling it into the monkey cage at the zoo and shooting any monkey who approached it.

I gently reminded him that there was a forum for discussing science away from flat earth belief and was additionally sensored and threatened with being banned.  If he wanted to keep the monkeys away from his banana's he would be better off wheeling his wagon into the Tapir habitat.

This abuse of curator abilities is what I am disputing.

rooster

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 01:12:42 PM »
No one censored was talking about the specifics of Flat Earth Theory.

They were however sensored for talking about the Flat earth movement, their believers or their beliefs.
meh, fair enough.

?

Thork

« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2013, 01:18:40 PM »
Here you can freely discuss about the Flat Earth Society or the Flat Earth movement in general. For example, if you want to ask questions about The Conspiracy, flat earth believers and their beliefs, or anything else not related to Flat Earth Theory, this is the place for it. If you wish to discuss Flat Earth Theory itself, you should go to Flat Earth Q&A or Flat Earth Debate.

The Forum Curator posted a thread in the forum with the above guidelines then abused his abilities by censoring people who chose to address its content from the perspective of 'flat earth believers or flat earth beliefs'.

This is akin to someone loading up a wagon with bananas, hanging a sign on it saying 'NO MONKEYS' then wheeling it into the monkey cage at the zoo and shooting any monkey who approached it.

I gently reminded him that there was a forum for discussing science away from flat earth belief and was additionally sensored and threatened with being banned.  If he wanted to keep the monkeys away from his banana's he would be better off wheeling his wagon into the Tapir habitat.

This abuse of curator abilities is what I am disputing.
Being as the Tapir habitat you describe is the Flat Earth Believers forum and due to neglect and mismanagement only about 3 people have access to that forum, I can't wheel my wagon in there. Why can't you just keep your hands off my banana?

Ski

• Planar Moderator
  • Homines, dum docent, dispenguin.
« Reply #14 on: April 24, 2013, 02:30:19 PM »

I like to think that most of the posters here are capable of acting with more dignity than a monkey. Noone was shot. You were asked to post on the topic of the documentary. There are scores of other threads within which you may discuss the Wager.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #15 on: April 24, 2013, 02:37:15 PM »

I like to think that most of the posters here are capable of acting with more dignity than a monkey. Noone was shot. You were asked to post on the topic of the documentary. There are scores of other threads within which you may discuss the Wager.

Kendrick only asked for the thread to be moves to another forum and for this he was threatened with banning. I was the person who was allegedly posting off-topic, although I could make a plausible argument that I was not. Do not accuse Kendrick of posting off-topic as he was directly addressing the nature of a discussion on AR Wallace's career aside from the Bedford Level Experiment.

Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

rooster

« Reply #16 on: April 24, 2013, 02:42:20 PM »

Kendrick only asked for the thread to be moves to another forum and for this he was threatened with banning. I was the person who was allegedly posting off-topic, although I could make a plausible argument that I was not. Do not accuse Kendrick of posting off-topic as he was directly addressing the nature of a discussion on AR Wallace's career aside from the Bedford Level Experiment.
Which is also annoying since he wants the thread moved to the science section.... wut. His suggestion makes no sense and he has no authority to do it himself so he can hush.

If you desire serious discussion about aspects of AR Wallace career aside from his role in flat-earth folklore, perhaps you could ask a moderator to move this thread to the science portion of the lower forums.

Also this post keeps being deleted, not sure why.
"If you want to talk about Wallace's life, move this to the science forum please."

lol, that makes sense.
::)

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #17 on: April 24, 2013, 02:47:10 PM »

Which is also annoying since he wants the thread moved to the science section.... wut. His suggestion makes no sense and he has no authority to do it himself so he can hush.

If you desire serious discussion about aspects of AR Wallace career aside from his role in flat-earth folklore, perhaps you could ask a moderator to move this thread to the science portion of the lower forums.

"If you want to talk about Wallace's life, move this to the science forum please."

lol, that makes sense.

Thork's reaction was disproportionate to the offense. In what way does Kendrick's request, communicated with politeness and respect, deserve a threatening with a ban?
Aether is the  characteristic of action or inaction of charged  & noncharged particals.

rooster

« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2013, 02:48:46 PM »

lol, that makes sense.

Thork's reaction was disproportionate to the offense. In what way does Kendrick's request, communicated with politeness and respect, deserve a threatening with a ban?
Thork can't ban people. Sooo, irrelevant?

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2013, 02:58:11 PM »
So as long as a curator's actions never coincide with their powers they can behave in any way they choose?

Space Cowgirl

• MOM
  • Administrator
  • Official FE Recruiter
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2013, 03:05:41 PM »
The threatening is just part of his FES character. It's meant to be funny.  Sometimes you noobs take things way too seriously.
I'm sorry. Am I to understand that when you have a boner you like to imagine punching the shit out of Tom Bishop? That's disgusting.

« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2013, 03:08:04 PM »

lol, that makes sense.

You seem like a genuinely nice and compassionate person and I'm unaware what I have done to provoke your ire.

The bottom line is that the Forum Curator should not be censoring replies to his threads that do not break forum rules or guidelines.

I hope this sentiment was recieved with the respect with which it was intended.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #22 on: April 24, 2013, 03:14:58 PM »

He asked him to keep the one topic relatively free of bickering about the Wager. There are scores of other threads about the Wager. You or Kendrick may even start another. Noone is being silenced. Least of all about the Wager, in which Wallace comes out looking rather poorly. Why not respect the wishes of the author of the original post?

The amount of complaining is disproportionate to the offense. I don't know anything about the threat of a ban other than what has been said in this thread. It was never communicated to me by either PM or the not-quite-as-super-secret curator forum. Noone is going to get a ban for annoying Thork (probably; please don't use your imagination to press the point), yet it seems to me relatively easy -- even perhaps important -- that when you're asked by a member of the forum, even a curator of the basest sort like Thork to stop doing something, you stop even when in disagreement. As opposed to belabouring the point and continuing to do the very thing you were asked to stop doing, if you disagree then contact a moderator or start a thread like this one before making four more post of the same debatable worth. Particularly if you are going to complain to me, because I'm going to side with the rule of law almost everytime, even when I do not necessarily agree with the law. If you want to debate the ruling on the law, do it before you chronically abuse it.

Take deep breaths. Go outside. Walk around the block.
"Never think you can turn over any old falsehood without a terrible squirming of the horrid little population that dwells under it." -O.W. Holmes "Truth forever on the scaffold, Wrong forever on the throne.."

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #23 on: April 24, 2013, 03:17:56 PM »
As I mentioned earlier Kendrick never mentioned the wager, I did.

« Reply #24 on: April 24, 2013, 03:23:41 PM »
maybe such posts that can not warrant any debates should be moved to FE Believers?

?

Thork

« Reply #25 on: April 24, 2013, 03:26:15 PM »
maybe such posts that can not warrant any debates should be moved to FE Believers?
It can be debated as much as you like. I just didn't want it being railroaded down the path of talking about the wager again when there is so much else to discuss.

Ski

• Planar Moderator
« Reply #26 on: April 24, 2013, 03:27:14 PM »

I'd like to think that after PM's and disappearing posts, one would be smart enough to stop agitating. Especially agitating someone as dangerously unstable as Thork... 
« Last Edit: April 24, 2013, 03:34:41 PM by Ski »

Rama Set

• I am also an engineer
« Reply #27 on: April 24, 2013, 03:38:47 PM »

I'd like to think that after PM's and disappearing posts, one would be smart enough to stop agitating. Especially agitating someone as dangerously unstable as Thork...

Nice rationale.

Lord Wilmore

• Vice President
  • Flat Earth Believer
« Reply #28 on: April 24, 2013, 04:24:15 PM »

The fact that he repeatedly posted a request that should, per the rules, have been posted in here. His posts were repeatedly moved, he obviously knew there was a problem with something he was doing, so he should have posted here first instead of six times in the thread in question.

That said, Thork, explicit warnings following removals, please. I know Kendrick knew full well he was doing something wrong, but it helps if you tell people what they are doing wrong.

Going back to the original issue, I really don't understand Kendrick's request, and moving it to the lower boards makes no sense.
"I want truth for truth's sake, not for the applaud or approval of men. I would not reject truth because it is unpopular, nor accept error because it is popular. I should rather be right and stand alone than run with the multitude and be wrong." - C.S. DeFord

markjo

• Content Nazi
  • The Elder Ones
« Reply #29 on: April 24, 2013, 04:27:09 PM »
If Thork doesn't want to discuss Wallace's relationship with the Flat Earth movement, then perhaps he shouldn't have started the thread in Flat Earth General.  If he wants to discuss its merit as a documentary, then Arts and Entertainment would seem appropriate.  If he wants to discuss Wallace's scientific contributions (outside of FET), then Science and Alternative Science would be appropriate.  If he wants to discuss Wallace as a person, then The Lounge might be a good choice.

My point is that there boards that are much more appropriate for that thread.  Even though FEG isn't necessarily for discussion of FET, it is still where Flat Earth General topics are discussed.   If Thork wants to have a non-FE Wallace discussion, then he should do it in a non-FE board.
Science is what happens when preconception meets verification.
Quote from: Robosteve
Besides, perhaps FET is a conspiracy too.
Quote from: bullhorn
It is just the way it is, you understanding it doesn't concern me.