A Quick Question About Logic

• 40 Replies
?

thedanman344

« on: October 14, 2006, 02:03:28 PM »
Just one question: why?

What would the "evil governments of the world" have to gain from a round earth? I mean, how is lying about a round Earth beneficial at all to the government?

« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2006, 02:24:29 PM »
I'd like to know this too.

Just one thing though, you can't just say;

a - Its part of a Conspiracy
b - Its a fake and/or photoshopped.

Re: A Quick Question About Logic
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2006, 02:39:01 PM »
Quote from: "thedanman344"

What would the "evil governments of the world" have to gain from a round earth? I mean, how is lying about a round Earth beneficial at all to the government?

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!
 believe the Earth is round.
That doesn't mean the Earth is round.

"If you're going to yell at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" --Homer Simpson

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2006, 03:24:00 PM »
Someone, quick, shoot me.
ttp://theflatearthsociety.org/forums/search.php

"Against criticism a man can neither protest nor defend himself; he must act in spite of it, and then it will gradually yield to him." -Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2006, 04:24:53 PM »
Quote from: "holybrain"

USE THE SEARCH FUNCTION!!!

That would not be useful actually, as it seems that this question is never answered. Or how it is that countries who hate each other guts still cooperate to keep their population in the dark.
atttttttup was right when he said joseph bloom is right, The Engineer is a douchebag.

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2006, 04:27:17 PM »
Quote from: "phaseshifter"

That would not be useful actually, as it seems that this question is never answered. Or how it is that countries who hate each other guts still cooperate to keep their population in the dark.

Its part of the conspiracy. Iran & Iraq love each other really.

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2006, 07:58:26 PM »

*sigh* No one knows what the world's governments would gain from a massive conspiracy covering up Earth's true shape. However, the fact remains that if Earth is flat there is a conspiracy. End of story.

And to answer your next question, yes, disproving the conspiracy would weaken the FE theory. However, this cannot be done because if Earth is flat there is a conspiracy.

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2006, 09:30:39 PM »
Hmm, that kinda makes more sense since someone who has, y'know, thought about this explains the conspiracy thing.

However, I still maintain that the 'conspiracy' thing is something made up in the first days of FE as a quick, unexpectedly demanded, response.

"So why do you think we think the earth is round?"
"Oh, fuck, I didn't think about this! Uh, because...oh! Government conspiracy, that's why!"

It would be far more plausible to say "We think the earth is round, because the most definitive evidence we have points to a spherical earth. I think the earth is flat because [supporting evidence here]"

Government Conspiracy?

Bollocks.
 tried to be nice. I tried to not get angry at insultingly rediculous notions.

I TRIED DAMMIT

« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2006, 12:02:51 AM »
If the scientifice institution had made a gross error like that and had based so many things on it already wouldnt the truth destroy the credibility of that institution?

beast

« Reply #9 on: October 15, 2006, 12:18:55 AM »
I think the point about the conspiracy is that what it's really saying is "don't give us somebody elses information, come up with an arguement that we can test ourselves."  People have gone into space and taken photos of the Earth - great for them.  I haven't and there is a good chance I never will.  I don't fly enough to test the flight times from Japan to San Fransisco.  I can't see the night sky from different places on Earth at the same time.  In theory these may be valid ways of finding out the shape of the Earth but for the majority of us they are not practical tests we can carry out.  There is a huge error in taking this forum literally and believing it is a place for promoting the message the Earth is flat.  This is much more a forum about philosophy and scientific method than about the shape of the Earth.  It may or may not have started that way but that's how it is now.  The people I look up to on this forum clearly have a very good understanding of physics and many other issues.  It's not about being right or wrong, it's about having to use your brain.

« Reply #10 on: October 15, 2006, 05:50:41 PM »
I agree w/ Beast here.

The bulk of RE posts seem not to grasp the fundemental nature of argument or debate here.

Most of these are asking "How could the earth be Flat?" as rhetorical not  hypothetical.

Unfurtunately for RE Arguers this platform is "Flat", not level. The burden of dis-proof is on you;convince the FEs using evidence from FE theory, not mere RE rote.

If some one can't take time to research the database of the oppositional view(FAQ, Search, Links, etc.)prior to posting; why should I be bothered w/ their time-wasting queries?
 believe that; the Earth is flat until such time as I stand within the Space Station and personally see that it is a Globe.
or that the Earth is a sphere until such time as I stand upon the Icewall and personally see that it is a Flat Disk.

« Reply #11 on: October 15, 2006, 06:00:06 PM »
Quote from: "Mythix Profit"
If some one can't take time to research the database of the oppositional view(FAQ, Search, Links, etc.)prior to posting; why should I be bothered w/ their time-wasting queries?

That's what I've been telling these people! But they just keeping on coming and coming and coming.
 believe the Earth is round.
That doesn't mean the Earth is round.

"If you're going to yell at me every time I do something stupid, then I guess I'm just going to have to stop doing stupid things!" --Homer Simpson

« Reply #12 on: October 15, 2006, 06:48:59 PM »
Yep,

The Conspiracy Conspiracy squanders billions in currency to provide such paltry schooling everywhere and this is what we get.
 believe that; the Earth is flat until such time as I stand within the Space Station and personally see that it is a Globe.
or that the Earth is a sphere until such time as I stand upon the Icewall and personally see that it is a Flat Disk.

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2006, 06:13:51 AM »
Quote from: "GeoGuy"

*sigh* No one knows what the world's governments would gain from a massive conspiracy covering up Earth's true shape. However, the fact remains that if Earth is flat there is a conspiracy. End of story.

And to answer your next question, yes, disproving the conspiracy would weaken the FE theory. However, this cannot be done because if Earth is flat there is a conspiracy.

You're a fucking retard if that is the kind of logic you FEtards are spouting.

'we are right so anything that says otherwise is part of a conspirasy'

Dick.
quote="Dogplatter"]
Penguins were actually created in the 1960's by Russian scientists who combined the DNA of otters and birds.  [/quote]

LOL

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2006, 07:39:09 AM »
Quote from: "Yardstick2006"

You're a f**king retard if that is the kind of logic you FEtards are spouting.

Dick.

Sadly, Yardstick, I did not say what you want me to have said. But thanks anyway for quoting my post to make a completely random comment that had nothing in particular to do with anything.

« Reply #15 on: October 16, 2006, 08:16:02 AM »

You're a f**king retard if that is the kind of logic you FEtards are spouting.

Dick.

Sadly, Yardstick, I did not say what you want me to have said. But thanks anyway for quoting my post to make a completely random comment that had nothing in particular to do with anything.

disproving the conspiracy would weaken the FE theory. However, this cannot be done because if Earth is flat there is a conspiracy

Well, what you seem to be saying, correct me if I'm wrong, is that the conspiracy cannot be disproved because you're right (and the earth is flat).

Also, that statment contains an IF clause, which doesn't help confirm it'S validity.

It is the same as saying:

confirming the conspiracy would weaken the RE theory. However, this cannot be done because if Earth is spherical there is no conspiracy.

Would YOU accept this argument from us?.
atttttttup was right when he said joseph bloom is right, The Engineer is a douchebag.

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #16 on: October 16, 2006, 08:29:04 AM »

disproving the conspiracy would weaken the FE theory. However, this cannot be done because if Earth is flat there is a conspiracy

Well, what you seem to be saying, correct me if I'm wrong, is that the conspiracy cannot be disproved because you're right (and the earth is flat).

That is not at all what I'm saying. I said that if Earth is flat there is a conspiracy, in order to prove the conspiracy wrong you have to first prove that Earth is not flat. Meaning that the conspiracy is useless as a way of proving or disproving either theory.

confirming the conspiracy would weaken the RE theory. However, this cannot be done because if Earth is spherical there is no conspiracy.

Would YOU accept this argument from us?.

Yes, because, as I said, the conspiracy is worthless as proof or disproof of anything.

« Reply #17 on: October 16, 2006, 08:37:47 AM »
Yes, because, as I said, the conspiracy is worthless as proof or disproof of anything.

That is not accurate. The Flat earth theory is dependant upon the conspiracy concept. Because if there is no conspiracy, then we could just go to the ice wall to confirm it's existence and end the argument right there.

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #18 on: October 16, 2006, 08:59:10 AM »

That is not accurate. The Flat earth theory is dependant upon the conspiracy concept. Because if there is no conspiracy, then we could just go to the ice wall to confirm it's existence and end the argument right there.

Ok, let's do this one more time. If Earth is flat there is a conspiracy. If Earth is not flat there is no conspiracy. The only way to determine whether or not there is a conspiracy would be to determine whether or not Earth is flat.

Let's look at this from the perspective of two triangles.
If the angles on two triangles are equal the triangles are similar (If Earth is flat there is a conspiracy). The only way to prove that the triangles are not similar is to disprove your original assumption, that the angles are equal (that Earth is flat).

So you see, we have to disprove our original assumption, that Earth is flat, in order to disprove the consequence of the assumption, that there is a conspiracy.

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #19 on: October 16, 2006, 09:04:33 AM »

Sorry Captain Douchebag but that is exactly what you said.  Dont try and weasel out of what you said just because you got called out on the illogicality of it.

Yardstick, you know that's not what I said, as I've explained it already. Everyone understands this but you.

« Reply #20 on: October 16, 2006, 09:08:02 AM »

Owned.[/b]
quote="Dogplatter"]
Penguins were actually created in the 1960's by Russian scientists who combined the DNA of otters and birds.  [/quote]

LOL

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #21 on: October 16, 2006, 09:12:44 AM »

Owned.[/b]

Yes you were Ystick, yes you were.

« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2006, 09:14:54 AM »

Ok, let's do this one more time. If Earth is flat there is a conspiracy. If Earth is not flat there is no conspiracy. The only way to determine whether or not there is a conspiracy would be to determine whether or not Earth is flat.

Let's look at this from the perspective of two triangles.
If the angles on two triangles are equal the triangles are similar (If Earth is flat there is a conspiracy). The only way to prove that the triangles are not similar is to disprove your original assumption, that the angles are equal (that Earth is flat).

So you see, we have to disprove our original assumption, that Earth is flat, in order to disprove the consequence of the assumption, that there is a conspiracy.

Like I said, ALL WE HAVE TO DO TO DISPROVE IT (the FE theory) IS GO TO THE ICEWALL.

Now tell me, what would prevent someone from going?

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2006, 09:17:30 AM »

Like I said, ALL WE HAVE TO DO TO DISPROVE IT (the FE theory) IS GO TO THE ICEWALL.

Then what's stopping you?

« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2006, 09:24:21 AM »

Then what's stopping you?

That's what I'm asking you dammit What prevents anyone from going? Why hasn't ANYONE been there to tell us that it exists and the earth is flat?

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2006, 09:26:26 AM »

That's what I'm asking you dammit What prevents anyone from going? Why hasn't ANYONE been there to tell us that it exists and the earth is flat?

No one has been there for the exact reasons you haven't been there.

« Reply #26 on: October 16, 2006, 09:36:45 AM »

No one has been there for the exact reasons you haven't been there.

I haven't been there because I'm not a scientist, and since I don't beleive the earth is flat, I had no reason to go look for evidence of something I didn't beleive in. However, some people do beleive in it, and some of them would have wanted to know, or to prove the world that they are right.

So in all those hundreds of years, people have explored every part of the planet EXCEPT specificly the ice wall?

I'm sure that you can see as well as I do that the FE theory needs the cospiracy in order to be valid. it isn't even necessary for someone to have gone there. All that is needed to prove or disprove the theory is for it to be possible to go to the ice wall. And it is only impossible in the FE theory BECAUSE of the conpiracy. Unles you can find another reason that would prevent someone who wants to go from going.

?

GeoGuy

« Reply #27 on: October 16, 2006, 09:48:53 AM »

I haven't been there because I'm not a scientist, and since I don't beleive the earth is flat, I had no reason to go look for evidence of something I didn't beleive in.

FE's have not been there because they're not scientists, and since they don't believe the Earth is round they have no reason to go look for evidence of something they don't believe in.

?

Erasmus

• The Elder Ones
« Reply #28 on: October 16, 2006, 10:17:46 AM »
How is this a question about logic?
Why did the chicken cross the Möbius strip?

« Reply #29 on: October 16, 2006, 12:28:11 PM »
Ah, Logic: that e'r present "fly in the ointment" in any good line of argument or load of bullshit.  
http://www.fallacyfiles.org/ is a good database to critique and craft ones premises.